Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside- Is it worth it?

AlethorAlethor Member Posts: 58
What are your opinions on Planetside?

Alethor

Alethor

Comments

• SavoSavo Member Posts: 25
    It s fake because if you play 1 hour you saw everything image

lol im the only one that replayedimage

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

Well not many RPG gamers have played PS for the main reason: it is not a RPG at all.

PS is fun and entertaining for about a month (the free month if you play your cards right).  After that you get bored out of your mind.  Realism is not a factor in this game.  A missle that takes out a tank in two hits takes three hits to take out infantry.  They tryed to make three classes and give them unique weapons, but really everyone has the same weapons with just a few class specific weapons.  A small tower might take an hour to capture thanks to zerg rushing, while a huge base might take just a few minutes to wait for a capture.  The game was fun in beta, the servers were populated and people actually worked together a little bit to accomplish a goal.  Now the servers are so sparsly populated you are lucky to get in a squad of 6 other people, and as soon as the shootin starts people usually bail from their squads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
    Nathaniel Borenstein .

You know i played it with my brother and it was like "wow what a cool game" but when the last day of trial was about to end i just say"what a pice of crap" my brother thought that too so thats why iblame this game (i colored it just for funimage)

• AlethorAlethor Member Posts: 58
     Thought it could be a good futuristic FPS, but sadly I am mistaken.

Alethor

Alethor

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

It was ok. I have an athelon 64 [Brand new early xmas present] and it ran nicely, even in the 50 man battle I have, which was my biggest I ever had. Boring game play and bad physics ran this game down. I also hated the RPG aspects. I waiting 72 hours before I got a character that played the way I liked.

Daoc- Smallbornrocker-50 BD[Merlin]

EQ-97 Ranger-Lattel

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• KyuutenKyuuten Member Posts: 35

I liked it for the time that I played, but it just bothered me that they never did any updates and then release an expansion. I suck at most FPS, but I was ok at PS. I just really didn't see a point to it after awhile. I always though they should incorperate some kind of bonus to the winning side in the day by day battle. Maybe even have the world start over after one side won the game, by taking over 90% of the bases or something like that. TTyL TTFN!

~Kyuuten~

• LudacrisLudacris Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Its not really for the RPG games, but for the FPS gamers out there.  If you LOVE to play RPG's then this game isnt for you, but if you LOVE FPS's then this is definately an awesome game.

Click pic to go there!

• xhulaxhula Member Posts: 21

Well said Ludacris.  Actually they recently did a server merge (where they merged 2 servers in too 1) where both western servers were merged and both the eastern servers were merged.  The battles are certainly much larger then before.  During peak time there was even continent locks,  not too mention the re-certification that was also recently done.  Vehicles that were normally never used, are now used more often.  Give the game about another month or two and maybe it will get even better. 

When you understand why you reject all other gods but your own, you will understand why I reject yours.

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

I don't think its a good buy. You can pretty much see and do everything within the 30 day trial, thats not a good sign.

• avocadoavocado Member Posts: 1

Coming from playing the traditional Anarchy Online, Ultima and EQ i actually really like PlanetSide, i've bin playing it for 3months now and i like it more and more, the outfits are cool and there is nothing like assaulting some enemies in a deadlock massacre when ur on team-speak with your war-time buddies watching your back. The game is getting better and better and Sony seems to continue development and twinking of the game. if u like games like Quake or any other FPS this game just rocks. Tactical Special assault or mass combat , whatever you want u do.

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

It was fun for me, maybe given a bit to much credit as being a MMORPG and requiring monthly fees, but I can honestly say that it is one of the best FPS I have ever played. Many games such as Counter Strike and Battlefield 1942 (while neither are poorly made games by any stretch of the word) lack the feel of a on going player war over an entire futuristic planet. Planetside provides the player with a large 3D world with multiple contents to explore and hundreds of players on line to fight over these huge land masses.

It is lots of fun, they only down side is that it is not a MMORPG and there really isn't to much to do as far as RPing goes (if there is any RP at all except by the crazy people like me).

My advice is, if you like to play everquest, get the sony online pass so you can switch between the 2 games when you get in the mood for something different.

but time flows like a river

and history repeats

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722
    Do they have platoons yet?  It was promised to the beta testers and last I checked it still wasn't in the game.  Just wondering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
    Nathaniel Borenstein .