Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long is the inactivity timer?

KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

One of the things that kills me about the forums is that there is a lurking inactivity timer and typing a message is considered to be inactivity.  Several times I have been composing lengthy posts, only to have them disappear into the ether when I hit POST because I was logged out during my "period of inactivity" unbeknownst to me.

I understand logging people out after a period of no activity, but I consider composing a post to be activity, and I don't think those of us who try to compose cogent and thoughtful posts should be penalized because we're taking our time to do it right.  I mean, I could just be posting hundreds of "LOL" posts in an attempt to boost my post count.

Can we either lengthen the timer or at least find a way to consider composition of posts as activity?  It would help and avoid some major frustration.

NC > DAoC > EQ > UO > fecal matter > leper''s oily rags > SW:G

-----

Old timer.

Comments

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

30 minutes...use the preview button...it will keep your session alive image

We really need to keep session timeouts to a minimum.  User sessions use a lot of server resources as we store all kinds of info on the server related to your session (all the threads you have viewed, games you voted on, polls you voted on, your preferences, etc, etc).  When your 30 minutes is up, this data is unloaded from memory freeing resources.

What I want to do is add some kind of "keep alive" to the pages of the site that will keep the session alive.  One easy way to do this is to make the clock or e-mail indicator in an IFRAME and refresh it every 5 minutes or so...so you might see this soon too...

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.