Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoV, soloing, nerfs

YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Greetings. I am regaining the ability to use the internet at home in a few days (I have been MMORPG less for close to two months..gaaa!) and I'm trying to decided which game to fire up first. I'm waffling between a CoV/ CoH and some other options. I have some questions about CoV that I haven't been able to settle based on the reviews I've read.

1. Do CoV heroes solo better than CoH characters, and even if they do is it effecient to solo after level ten or so?

I found that in CoH the missions just took to long to solo with most characters (at least for my patience level) at some point. Solo missions are fun at low levels (when any decent offensive build can one or two shot average mobs), but usually by about level 8 I grouped exclsusively. This left me not wanting to log if I couldn't play for at least a few hours.

2. Do CoV characters seem overpowered compared to CoH characters currently (i.e., are they likely to be nerfed to hell and back in the next few months)?

Thanks!

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Yes.. they solo better. Especially the Mastermind. They're built to last better.

Although I don't feel they are overpowered. A Blaster or Scrapper will do more damage, but the CoV templates seem to have a bit of defense. In PVP no class really dominates... except maybe Blasters.

As far as nerfs.. I don't hear anyone calling for them, and I really don't see a point to them. But you can't rule them out totally. Stranger things have happened in the MMORPG game.. just look at SWG.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by Shayde

In PVP no class really dominates... except maybe Blasters.

Not if I get my first strike in they dont image  (<--- Ninja/Ninja Stalker)

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

MM solo almost as well as regen scrapper were soloing in the past (prior the 9475534 nerfs)...almost as well.

MM are unique, I would recommend trying one, after anyway you can always remember the memories and blast whoever disagree.  image

Stateman is playing a MM, so the nerf bat will be tempered.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Only nerf, balance or tweak (whatever you want to call it)  I've heard of is that they are looking into a mechanism into preventing one/two hit kills in PvP from Stalkers and other high damage ATs (i.e. Blasters), which is possible for them to currently do once they reach mid levels but not always easy.
  • Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

MM's do solo incredibly well...  However, Brutes are better...  Imagine an AT that has 3/4 the Tanker HP and all the damage of a Scrapper, actually, certain powersets of the Brute do better damage than certain Scrapper sets...  This is what a Brute is...  Brute make Dis_Ordur happy!!!!  Dis_Ordur SMASH!!!!!

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I have a Ninja Stalker as well. My assassin strike has 3 DMG and 1 Accuracy. When I couple that with the brief temporary Aggro/Accuracy power with the assassin strike, I can take out an orange conned Boss with one strike.

A red conned Boss with one Assassin strike and 2 Katana cuts (second power)

A purple conned Boss with one Assassin Strike and 5 Katana cuts (second power)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

If you play your aggro right, a MM can walk out of missions untouched.

NOBODY else can.

Oh, and my Blaster V.S. Stalkers? So far... 9-0 win-loss ratio.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• SuperZwerverSuperZwerver Member Posts: 293

Hey, I used to play CoH. And while I liked the powersets none of them REALLY made me love my character. But now I read somewhere that Masterminds can controle ninjas... :) Anybody got a site which shows all the power sets of CoV? Quite curious about other sets too now.

Edit: Nevermind, found it myself. Mastermind Ninjas really sounds like fun :D

Flych - 70 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin - Tarren Mill (EU)
    Mediocre - 70 Undead Discipline Priest - Tarren Mill (EU)

• KconveyKconvey Member Posts: 11

Its more complicated than that.

Cov solo better, but are weaker. Hybrids

Coh solo not as well, but are much stronger, pure classes.

Right now the strongest AT in both games is the controller.

Here is a rough breakdown in my opinion.

Controller
    Defender
    Mastermind
    Scrapper
    Brute
    Corruptor
    Dominator

Blasters
    Stalkers

Tanks..

yeah its a sorry state of the game right now. ED really hurt One purpose powers, like damage/resistance/defense.
    Which Tanks/stalkers/blasters pretty much are all.

• Kida20Kida20 Member Posts: 1

From the time I have spent in the game playing a drk/drk brute. I like this build cause I can do dmg, and also have a self heal. Like other brutes they have an invis shield that, unlike the stalkers hide, stays on as a dmg&statis deff.

I do also play a verriaty of alts from controlers to MM. Each archtype has there place in the world. Just depends on what role you are looking to play. I have seen a plant/mind controller tank better then a SS/Stone brute. MM are good for solo playing, but not that good in teams. Even in teams theres no need to have more then 2 in a team. All those minions just causes extra lag for some players, and clog up missions like a toilet at a Frat party.
    As a brute I dont like teaming with MM cause most people dont know how to use the class. The only people that I know that can use them correctly have played some kind of necromancer, or hunter job in another MMO. Also MM tend to turn aggro controll into a crapstorm.
    Not to totaly bash them, they are fun to play. Just tend to get boring playing um sence you are mostly supporting them, and they get to have all the fun.

The villain arch types are over powered in PvE cause the Dev want them to lvl fast enuff to make the PvP more active. As for the PvP zone, blasters, and Controller are dominating. Senc they have holds, and long rng they can just chipaway at you. Even tho some of the zones are capped out it different lvls the hereos still have higher lvl enchants, and the Hami enchants.

Im sure when the next update comes out and they introduce the villain epic powers, and the new Archtypes they will balence out the heores and villains for PvP.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Yeebo
    1. Do CoV heroes solo better than CoH characters, and even if they do is it effecient to solo after level ten or so?
    Dont really know about COH characters since I havent played one since 1 month after realease. I will tell you that the number one class for soloing missions is Stalkers and this is on Relentless (the hardest setting of missions)..All you have to do is get missions from the paper that require you to get a item or kill the boss and his guards and its solo heaven. AS+Placate through the whole missions including the boss.. Just stay away from Rikiti missions and there silly drones that have +perception, COT are also another pain in the butt. Masterminds come in a close second, expecially if you get steath and Teleport.
    2. Do CoV characters seem overpowered compared to CoH characters currently (i.e., are they likely to be nerfed to hell and back in the next few months)?
    Well not really each has his ups and downs. Many will say that stalkers are overpowerd due to there one hit kills.. But anyone with +perception/IR goggles/Damage aura and anyone who does not stand still can make stalkers pretty much useless.  Hell COH characters seem like the ones overpowerd at the moment.. Stormie Controllers are pretty much untouchable. Ice Blasters are really really nasty. Ice tankers can take a ton of damage, if you even hit them. And Spines/regen with superjump are the most annoying thing ever. A good one is almost impossible to kill.. That is doubled for each AT when there lvl 50 and have there extra slots with 50+ enhancements in making them extremly hard to hit for villians atm... But hopefully when the level cap opens the playing field will be leveled.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• AlzorAlzor Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Yeebo

1. The characters in COV are severely better soloers than heroes. Aparticularly good achetype is a stalker which gets a power exactlythe same as invisibility called Hide which allows you to use another power: Assassins Blow which deals a great deal of damage which kills off minions straight away.

2.I think that COV characters are over powered but aren't likely to be nerfed becuase when you hit the level cap their very boring to play because all you need to do is get infamy for lower level characters and thereis no real purpose for playing that particular character.

Similar Archetypes:

Scrapper:Stalker

Tank:Brute

Defender:Dominator

Controller:Corrupter

Blaster:Corrupter

And Masterminds are in a league of their own!

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

As far as MM's go ..... We Rock (In PVE, not PVP) In PVE we can do the firing squad. Line up the drones or whatever you have and just take down the target. With my drones upgraded this is almost sad to watch a group of mobs get wasted ... Almost.

PVP we are weak.... Mainly because we need to call the pets then buff ... that takes time durring which we get attacked and all of it falls apart.

I have played a brute and they are like a scrapper/tank combo but never tried in PVP.

• R00kieR00kie Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Shayde
    If you play your aggro right, a MM can walk out of missions untouched.NOBODY else can.

I guess from that, that you've never played a Stalker.

Open newspaper, pick the stelth mission, zoom in, steal the object, zoom out.

Quick, Effective, Decisive.

• warfarinwarfarin Member Posts: 60

That's exactly what is cool about villains, sometimes you just got to hit stuff - bring out the brute, that super strength just feels good to hit stuff and bat them around.  Other times you just want to sneak around and stealth a few missions and see what you can get away with (requires patience but can get boring I think) - glad they decided not to nerf that.  Then when you really want to break out the crazy war-like atmosphere bring out the MasterMind and just unleash the pets (each pet has their own style too) - I like the Mercs with the ranged attacks personally.  So many options you can't really lose if you get in a good group with decent players (or just solo all the way with MM).

Problem is masterminds are played by everyone and many people can't control the chaos and spend most of the time killing the group with their pets running off and agroing other groups while your fighting another.  But done right it's a beautiful thing to watch.

By the way my main is a Assualt Rifle/Traps Corrupter and I can't solo for crap.  But I always played with a Thermal Corrupter so never had to worry about it.

So for soloers MasterMinds I would say are the way to go.  True Stalkers can solo too if you dont want to fight but thats thes best part of the game so why would skip that part.  Brutes can solo too, gets easier the higher you get - damn endurance runs out at lower levels.

---MMO EXPERIENCE:---
    WoW - 06-2006 to current
    COV - 40 Corruptor - 10-2005 to 04-2006
    COH - 50 Scrapper - 04-2004 to 04-2006
    EQ2 - 35 Barb Berserker - 12-2004 to 04-2005
    EQ1 - 55 Barb Warrior - 2000, 2001
    Tried: DaoC, DDO, Auto Assault, SWG, Lineage II