Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instances

How much of the game is instances?  For starting out, will there be an instance that someone will be able to go to level up always?  I play a game to meet lots of people, and im afraid that there will be less interaction with the instances...  Are they minimal, or many?

Comments

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by doobster
    How much of the game is instances? For starting out, will there be an instance that someone will be able to go to level up always? I play a game to meet lots of people, and im afraid that there will be less interaction with the instances... Are they minimal, or many?

Man, I hate to keep saying this because of how good this game USED to be..

My only problem with this game IS the instance dungeons..

Example #1 - Mithra's Tomb. Aww, I miss that place! It's where me among other noobs learned the basics of working as a team, and fighting tough MOBS eventually working our way to the main dude, and his henchmen. /who it, if you're lucky you find 6 people. *sigh*

Example #2 - Just about everywhere, you see few people...don't deny it. You know a lot of people play some servers, but you just see nobody. Where are they? Instance Dungeons or PvP.

Example #3 - TOO MANY VAMPIIRS!!! AGGH! So many people play that class for 1 simple reason. They solo well. Questquestquestquest Grindgrindgrindgrind...until you play at the next BG, yay!

Example #4 - The simple fact that grouping outside of instance dungeons is near IMPOSSIBLE (that's the reason I quit).

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

1. 99%+ of the game is zones.

2. There are two types on instanced dungeons. Task dungeons where you complete some task, or an adventure wing where your group goes through a private part of the dungeon themselves. This adds something different, no respawn, and no fighting over camps. The Private Adventure wings are nice because you face some unique challenges, boss fights, and the occasional nice reward. These are part of already existing dungeons that you can also level in.

3. There are instanced dungeons from level 1-50

4. As much as people blame them for things, most of what they are blammed for is wrong. Not saying there are not some legitmate complaints about things, but the fact is a huge amount of content that is being avoided because of instances would have been avoided anyway because the XP there sucks. There are many parts of the old game that simply have not been updated with quests/mobs/items so they are not worth going into. However, this means since people start out in the old zones they will likely do instances instead of walking 3 minutes to a new zone to hunt in.

5. While many people go through instanced dungeons it is usually only a handful of people and it is meant to get to 50 as quick as possible.

6. You will find many areas - espically in Catacombs - where people will be hunting in zones and not instances. I almost always hunt in zones instead of instances.

7. If you play on the Classic server you will be able to find groups easier but sometimes this will mean doing a task dungeon.

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    Great, i wish i would have posted this BEFORE i bought the game, 40 bucks wasted.  Garrrr I HATE INSTANCES.  They are ruining MMORPG's.

Originally posted by doobster
    Great, i wish i would have posted this BEFORE i bought the game, 40 bucks wasted. Garrrr I HATE INSTANCES. They are ruining MMORPG's.

Play it anyway. You get 30 days free. Maybe you will actually like it.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I beg to differ
    99% of the game is NOT zones. The entire landmass you will be walking on is NOT zoned. The only zones are:
    1) Going into the frontier (RVR, factional PVP)
    2) Dungeons
    3) Instanced Dungeons (sub-dungeons inside the dungeons you can go in with your group to adventure without interferance from other groups, they do not respawn and are quite fun to 'crawl' through oldschool AD&D style, you can get nice loot in them as well. You can solo or group in them).
    4) Task Dungeons (Sort of like instance dungeons but BORING, you get these from the Task Master in various towns and go into a generic 'cave' entrance to get to them. No loot, just cash and xp)
    5) Capitol Cities
    6) Battlegrounds (Lower level PVP areas to learn the basics of RVR skills, live)
    7) Moving from one expansion area to another (Base Game, SI, TOA, Catecombs, etc)

Side note: Of those 7 items only 2 are instanced. Task Dungeons and Instance Dungeons.

That's it. It's entirely possible to play for hours without ever zoning. Just depends what you want to do. As to the instancing? Yes a lot of people spend time in them but I have hardly noticed any problems with it at all... matter of fact the only time I disliked the 'instanced' dungeons were the 'task dungeons' (which are lame, imo). Other than that I've thoroughly enjoyed DAOC. It's more fun now than the day it came out. I like the instanced dungeons (as opposed to task dungeons) very much. Since they're inside a "main" dungeon in every single occurance you can find a group in the main dungeon easily enough then move into an instance if the group decides they want to. The nice thing is you can choose to or choose not to go into the instance dungeons. It really depends whether the main dungeon is crowded or not as to whether you decide to do an instance. If it isn't crowded there's no real reason to go into the instanced dungeon other than a change of pace.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Nierro

Example #1 - Mithra's Tomb. Aww, I miss that place! It's where me among other noobs learned the basics of working as a team, and fighting tough MOBS eventually working our way to the main dude, and his henchmen. /who it, if you're lucky you find 6 people. *sigh*

Lousy example. Mithra's was killed by the /level command. Has nothing to do with instanced dungeons. On the normal servers 90% of the vets use /level to go straight to level 20, Mithra's greys out at level 18.

Example #2 - Just about everywhere, you see few people...don't deny it. You know a lot of people play some servers, but you just see nobody. Where are they? Instance Dungeons or PvP.

You must be playing on a 'normal' server. I play on Gareth, a "classic" server. There are people crawling all over the place. More, in fact, than I used to see when the game was brand new. Many of the Normal servers are suffering from 'lack-o-players' because most casual players play on Gareth or one of the other Classic servers. There are a couple high population 'normal' servers but all the low level areas will feel empty since there aren't many low level players (thank you /level command!!! WHEE!!!). I prefer the classic servers specifically because there is no /level command on them so there are PLENTY of people below 20th level to hunt with...

Example #3 - TOO MANY VAMPIIRS!!! AGGH! So many people play that class for 1 simple reason. They solo well. Questquestquestquest Grindgrindgrindgrind...until you play at the next BG, yay!

SO? Why do you care who plays what class? Are you just mad because you can't handle a Vampir in PVP or something? I have no problems killing them with either my Skald or my Minstrel or my Hunter. I just started a scout last night for giggles but I'm sure he'll have no problem with them either. People whine and groan about any class they perceive to be 'better' than them. But in PVP (Which is the only thing that matters really) the Vampiir isn't really much better, or worse, than any other class in the game. They are a little unbalanced and a group of them is a royal pain. But you're griping because people enjoy playing a class that is designed to solo well?? Why? Maybe because they like to solo? If they like to solo in the first place it wouldn't matter if they played something else because they STILL wouldn't group with you.

Example #4 - The simple fact that grouping outside of instance dungeons is near IMPOSSIBLE (that's the reason I quit).

Nope, not true at all. I was in a group in Vendo Caves 2 nights ago. We eventually went into the instance cavern in there because the caves got too crowded. But I found my group: In Vendo Caves. We grouped there in Vendo for well over an hour before the group decided to go into the instanced section, and we only did that because it was too crowded in the main dungeon for us to hunt effectively without camping a single room for hours (instances are just much more fun if the dungeon is packed).

Sig image Pending

[quote]Originally posted by Elnator
    [b]I beg to differ
    99% of the game is NOT zones. The entire landmass you will be walking on is NOT zoned. The only zones are:
    [/quote]

Zones I am using to mean a land mass that one can walk through as opposed to instances. Unless there is some other terms for the world that is not an instance other than zones. There are zones and seamless zones. DAOC is a combination of zones, seamless zones (areas you move into where there is not a loading screen or lag. It appears to be one large landmass), and instances.

I would like to also do some more corrections here. Each Catacombs area you enter will require you to "zone." By this I mean there will be a loading screen a a few seconds before you pop in on ther other side. The original game, and the first exapansion, and ToA outside of a dungeons or the capital will be seamless zones.

Originally posted by Nierro

Lousy example. Mithra's was killed by the /level command. Has nothing to do with instanced dungeons. On the normal servers 90% of the vets use /level to go straight to level 20, Mithra's greys out at level 18.

You must be playing on a 'normal' server. I play on Gareth, a "classic" server. There are people crawling all over the place. More, in fact, than I used to see when the game was brand new. Many of the Normal servers are suffering from 'lack-o-players' because most casual players play on Gareth or one of the other Classic servers. There are a couple high population 'normal' servers but all the low level areas will feel empty since there aren't many low level players (thank you /level command!!! WHEE!!!). I prefer the classic servers specifically because there is no /level command on them so there are PLENTY of people below 20th level to hunt with...

SO? Why do you care who plays what class? Are you just mad because you can't handle a Vampir in PVP or something? I have no problems killing them with either my Skald or my Minstrel or my Hunter. I just started a scout last night for giggles but I'm sure he'll have no problem with them either. People whine and groan about any class they perceive to be 'better' than them. But in PVP (Which is the only thing that matters really) the Vampiir isn't really much better, or worse, than any other class in the game. They are a little unbalanced and a group of them is a royal pain. But you're griping because people enjoy playing a class that is designed to solo well?? Why? Maybe because they like to solo? If they like to solo in the first place it wouldn't matter if they played something else because they STILL wouldn't group with you.

Nope, not true at all. I was in a group in Vendo Caves 2 nights ago. We eventually went into the instance cavern in there because the caves got too crowded. But I found my group: In Vendo Caves. We grouped there in Vendo for well over an hour before the group decided to go into the instanced section, and we only did that because it was too crowded in the main dungeon for us to hunt effectively without camping a single room for hours (instances are just much more fun if the dungeon is packed).

Sig image Pending