Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Card Power Supply.

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yo!  Question for those who know.

I just upgraded my fx5200 to a Geforce 6800GT (AGP on a Dell 2.8, 1 gig).   I installed the new card and on boot up I was prompted that the video card didn't have the efficient power supply. 

The stupid card didn't come with any cables, and the power supply cords in my dell are cut super short.  In order to get a supply to the video card, I have unplugged the floppy drive so the cables can reach.  I get a quick error on start up about the floppy, but other than that everything seems fine.

Am I alright or is my PC going to explode at some point?

I don't think I've used a floppy drive in 4 years so that's not an issue..  Is it still possible I'm stressing my PC's power system?  Anything I'm overlooking?

I'm going to go try a game or two....

Comments

• HarleeHarlee Member Posts: 223

You'll probally want to enter setup at bootup and remove the Floppy from your bootup list, other then that your perfectly fine.

[12:38am] <+steve> don't speak of tampons in a channel like this

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by loeslein
    Yo! Question for those who know.
    I just upgraded my fx5200 to a Geforce 6800GT (AGP on a Dell 2.8, 1 gig). I installed the new card and on boot up I was prompted that the video card didn't have the efficient power supply.
    The stupid card didn't come with any cables, and the power supply cords in my dell are cut super short. In order to get a supply to the video card, I have unplugged the floppy drive so the cables can reach. I get a quick error on start up about the floppy, but other than that everything seems fine.
    Am I alright or is my PC going to explode at some point?
    I don't think I've used a floppy drive in 4 years so that's not an issue.. Is it still possible I'm stressing my PC's power system? Anything I'm overlooking?

I'm going to go try a game or two....

I had the same problem, it will be fine.

Actually, next time you boot, do what I did. Go into your BIOS setup and just tell it there is no floppy. You wont get an error then, its kind of easy, and helpful.

I didnt have the power supply problem... as I built my computer... but I didnt have enough cords. I need to not have 4 Hard Drives ::::31::

Anyways... good luck. And nice upgrade, the 6800 is an amazing card ::::28::

• tigertunestigertunes Member Posts: 39
    Aye you done the right thing you would have had mroe problems if you continued to try and boot it up without the extra power going to your GC
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Like a couple of people have already said, the floppy error is from your bios looting for a missing bottable media, once you take it out of your boot list in your bios, that message will go away.

That being said, you may want to consider putting in a new power supply as those provided OEM with dell are not known for their quality, as you begin to stress you card with game play and the like you may notice some performance issues if it's struggling to gain the right amount of power.

It doesn't have to be a costly upgrade either, look for anything in the range 450w and up, make sure there's at least 18+ amps gonig to the 12V line and you'll be fine. Try to stay with some of the more well known names too as they typically put in higher grade components which provide better stability over a longer time period. Antec, Silverstone, Enermax, Aspire and OCZ are all very good power supply names and good brands to stick with.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll love the 6800 gt, wonderful card.

• haker174haker174 Member Posts: 40
    bla bla bla

Sean Gomolekoff

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Originally posted by haker174
    bla bla bla

do you have a mental illness?

To OP i think its clear with what everyone said i just had to ask him.