Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed on buying an MP3 player

I don't know very much about MP3 players, but I'm sure most of the people here do. The main thing I want is a way to have a tiny thing to play music from and not have to worry about a bulky cd player and 50 cds. I know alot of people are sporting iPods these days, but why would I want an iPod over another MP3 players?

Comments

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Sawtooth
    I don't know very much about MP3 players, but I'm sure most of the people here do. The main thing I want is a way to have a tiny thing to play music from and not have to worry about a bulky cd player and 50 cds. I know alot of people are sporting iPods these days, but why would I want an iPod over another MP3 players?

i dont like ipods simply because i dont like Itunes, and the PROPIETARY MUSIC FORMATTING.

unlike other Mp3 players where you can move songs from player, to another computer, to another player, onto another music management program etc.

itunes you can't do shit besides put it on your ipod really.......

this is why i choose the toshiba gigabeat just as much space, better battery, better screen, not that god damn wheel thing i hate, and its the same price.

AND IT DOESNT HAVE PROPIETARY SOFTWARE.

but that is my mine gripe about the ipods....

but get a gigabeat, a creative zen, or anything like that but not any of the "lesser known brands" their just not as good as main brand ones.....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

iRivers are my favorate. Not only are they high quality and hold onto that high quality on high volumes, [unlike iPods, which crackle at high volumes] but they offer so many more features than the run of the mill iPod, such as digital voice recorders, FM/AM radio, picture viewing, and color screens, all of which would cost 50 dollars or more on the average 2004 20 gig picture iPod. They also play WMA files.::::39::

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• I'm noticing iPods are usually the most expensive players I see. Do they have anything special on them, or is it just the brand that tacks on the extra price?

from a hardware standpoint they are great in reality you are paying for teh fact that they are reliable.....

but many other players for the same price or less are reliable without the propietary pain in the ass software problems i described.

so yes you are paying for a name.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

They are sleek and light, but they scratch easily and have poor sound quality. They have breakable harddrives and are expensive to repair. Their batteries are strange too. They don't have even charges so when you first get an iPod, the battery may last 3 hours, but 40 charges later, the battery may not even reach half its capacity. Normally, ion-Lithium batteries don't act this way, which is why it is strange on iPods. I would know, I own a mini and have replaced the Harddrive once and had one screen replacement.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• Lord166Lord166 Member Posts: 21
    Well i have the Dell DJ its like an iPOD but cheaper by like a hundred bucks. Its mostly just used for music it dont got any of those games or crap that you dont need. Plus its made with a hard face plate unlike the plastic iPOD.
  • ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

I own a Ipod and i'm very happy with it. I went with the 20gb size but I probably should have gone down a size as I only have 1338songs at 4.18gb so theres a lot of space on them.

Itunes IMO is better than windows media player(for music) in terms of its layout being much easier if you have a large list of songs. I also find it easier to burn cd's if you do that.

Going back to the ipod itself theres a heap of extra items you can get such as the Itrip(you can play music from your ipod over any radio including the car) Theres a range of speaker systems designed specifically for the Ipod(yet to try these but I want to get one) and the list goes on....

The only downsides I know of are the Ipod headphones r a bit dodgy and I know a few people who have replaced them more than once but you could always buy another brands headphones. A while back there was a reported problem with the lithium batteries they used in the Ipods, they are supposed to last a lifetime but some died after a year or so. Im fairly sure they have since fixed the problem and replaced faulty batteries.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

I REALLY like my Creative Inspire Zen Mini

Apparently it has better sound quality

Unless something has changed, the Micro Mini is better in multiple ways. 

Size WxHxD: 2" x 3.3" x 0.7"

Weight: 3.8 oz with removable battery

4GB (2,000 songs2)
    5GB (2,500 songs2)
    6GB (3,000 songs2)

Battery Life:3 Up to 12 hours of continuous playtime with removable lithium ion rechargeable battery

Playback Format: MPEG Audio Layer 3 (MP3), Windows Media™ Audio (WMA) and WAV

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: up to 98dB

FM radio, FM recorder and voice recorder, Contacts, calendar and tasks, Repeat, resume, and random play, Sleep and wake timers, Customizable main menu, Functions as an external hard drive, 8 EQ settings (Acoustic, classical, disco, jazz, new age, pop, rock and vocal)

That's it's specs.  It's nice, in my opinion.  I personally don't need an MP3 player that can hold thousands of songs.  Plus, I just don't buy Ipods. 

Also a side note.  I've had my Zen Mini for over a year now and I havn't had too many problems with it.  One time it wouldn't start up, all I had to do was pop the battery off and put it back on, no problem with that sense.  Been over a few months since that happened.  Then one of the speakers on the headphones went out, just a little wire wiggle fixed that, no problems since.  That was also multiple months ago.  But like I said, I've also had it for over a year now.  So, to me that's not bad quality.

Originally posted by ParaTrooper

I own a Ipod and i'm very happy with it. I went with the 20gb size but I probably should have gone down a size as I only have 1338songs at 4.18gb so theres a lot of space on them.
    Itunes IMO is better than windows media player(for music) in terms of its layout being much easier if you have a large list of songs. I also find it easier to burn cd's if you do that.

Going back to the ipod itself theres a heap of extra items you can get such as the Itrip(you can play music from your ipod over any radio including the car) Theres a range of speaker systems designed specifically for the Ipod(yet to try these but I want to get one) and the list goes on....

The only downsides I know of are the Ipod headphones r a bit dodgy and I know a few people who have replaced them more than once but you could always buy another brands headphones. A while back there was a reported problem with the lithium batteries they used in the Ipods, they are supposed to last a lifetime but some died after a year or so. Im fairly sure they have since fixed the problem and replaced faulty batteries.

something tells me that you have owned multiple ipods.

i find ipods are a loyalty thing a lot more then any other mp3 player the rest of us go where we think is the most tech and best player. you guys habitual by updates to the same thing that arent very different IMO.....

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Ive got an Ipod and love it.Its easy to use and very intuitive.

As far as software goes for it there ARE alternatives to itunes that are compatible.Itunes is perfectly fine there is nothing wrong with it as long as you arent a control freak.

The reason Ipods are so popular is that it is easy to use.I rip songs with itunes and then just plug my ipod into the docking station and its updated automatically.

I mean really how easy is that?

There is this software:http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/ for the control freak in you as well that makes the songs drag and drop in windows.

I looked at other players as well but if your going to get a good 1 you cant be afraid to spend the cash.IMHO if your looking at spending 300 dollars or so on a mp3 player you owe it to yourself to look at reviews.

The only drawback to ipods is the battery loses charge over time but ive always used a car charger anyway.Some other players use cell phone batteries and others regular.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

Originally posted by Puoltry

The reason Ipods are so popular is that it is easy to use.I rip songs with itunes and then just plug my ipod into the docking station and its updated automatically.
    I mean really how easy is that?

as easy as any other Mp3 player EVER MADE........

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Originally posted by Vergeltung
    something tells me that you have owned multiple ipods.
    i find ipods are a loyalty thing a lot more then any other mp3 player the rest of us go where we think is the most tech and best player. you guys habitual by updates to the same thing that arent very different IMO.....

Nope, first Ipod and it's one of the first models as well so I've fortunatly had none of the above mentioned problems with the batteries etc.. I also forgot to mention mine doens't have a colour screen or is able to play video files with the newer versions can.

Also just in regards to why they are so popular apart from the ease to use with was mentioned by Puoltry, but I have never seen any advertisments for other MP3 players and the Ipod TV ads are very well made.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Originally posted by Vergeltung
    Originally posted by Puoltry

I mean really how easy is that?as easy as any other Mp3 player EVER MADE........

Ok and your point is...?

Gee i wonder why the I pod is the #1 selling mp3 player on the market? I wonder if it is actually because its a really good piece of electronics?

Nah that couldnt be must be something else.

http://billboard.blogs.com/billboardpostplay/2005/04/ipod_sales_fuel.html

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)