Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Move MMORPG.com bad move(podcasts)

VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

i am not one to refrain from expressing my opinions, and i personally think podcasts are a terribly terribly inefficent idea.

first off why the hell not just get a internet radio subscription its not like podcasts have any real prevelant news that you cant wait for or read.

Second they can be expensive(but dont need to be) for both user, and broadcaster.

and really what is the point it is a useless toy of the internet.

i would much rather have the organization of newsletters(i know we have one) or just a more involved chat room where we could talk to industry developers, designers, and insiders.

why dont we actually make the chatroom populated with scheduled events with such people instead of making useless time and effort on a podcast.

not to mention they took the "discussion" out of "discussion forums" at the links at the top..... which is a terrible terrible outrage.

there is my rant but overall i still love this site.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I disagree. I'm downloading their new podcast now, but I and most people would much rather the news be read to us. I never read newsletters yet I listen to many podcasts. Podcasts rock, I think you are in the minority here.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Did you listen to it or just hate the concept?

Production costs are pretty much insignificant and its a new way to reach you. For example the interview with Garriott to me is more interesting than just another Q&A.

It is also free for users - unless you had to pay to download the 60mb.

As to "discussion" out of "forums", well that was inevitable. We're doing more to bring you guys coverage and thus we must economize room up top.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

but why not just get a more active type of news like what i suggested in the chat room by inviting people involved in the industry for OPEN Qand A.

i think that would be much much cooler

edit there goes my 100/100......

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Originally posted by Vergeltung
    but why not just get a more active type of news like what i suggested in the chat room by inviting people involved in the industry for OPEN Qand A.

Open dev chats simply do not work in my experience. Chaos wins. The only way to make it work is moderated chats and those are time consuming, stressful and often disapointing for the fans.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

Originally posted by Lepidus

Open dev chats simply do not work in my experience. Chaos wins. The only way to make it work is moderated chats and those are time consuming, stressful and often disapointing for the fans.

Agreed. Dev Chats have been fruitless in my eyes and I've been MMOing since UO. It seems to be that EVERY dev chat I have been to was precisely as you said. Either is was open and it was utter chaos ( thanks to the spamming of the moronic massses ) or it was closed and it seems that 95% of the question that are answered are fluff and pointless.

As for the podcasts I have to agree with what I read above. I'd much rather hear than read. It lets me do other things rather than reading on a digital page. It's all about effeciency. This way I can multi-task even better :P

As for removing "discussion" from "discussion forums"...this is about as world ending as a hang nail. Sure it might take a little time to get used to but it's not going to defeat the world. Besides, I am so used to just seeing "forums" everywhere I go that "discussion" is just implied to me.

I'm Malachi1975 and I approve this decision image

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

mind you this opinion of mine is a result of my irregularity where i can read considerable faster then i can listen.

and i really think podcasts are a useless toy of the internet because i find it easier to quote, take apart, and really get the message in something that is written because if i want to know all the possible meanings of a particularly selected word in order to ascertain the authors diction i can look up all the meanings to see what logos, ethos, or pathos arguements or humor they are trying to use.

and yes i am an over analytical reader.

mind you this opinion of mine is a result of my irregularity where i can read considerable faster then i can listen.
    and i really think podcasts are a useless toy of the internet because i find it easier to quote, take apart, and really get the message in something that is written because if i want to know all the possible meanings of a particularly selected word in order to ascertain the authors diction i can look up all the meanings to see what logos, ethos, or pathos arguements or humor they are trying to use.
    and yes i am an over analytical reader.

Luckily, it is not as if we're not doing written content any more ;)

This way you see both sides. You get to savour and disect the content of our Q&As and you get the tone, spontaneous aspects of the audio interviews. In short, we're painting a more complete picture.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

i am not one to refrain from expressing my opinions, and i personally think podcasts are a terribly terribly inefficent idea.
    first off why the hell not just get a internet radio subscription its not like podcasts have any real prevelant news that you cant wait for or read.
    Second they can be expensive(but dont need to be) for both user, and broadcaster.
    and really what is the point it is a useless toy of the internet.
    i would much rather have the organization of newsletters(i know we have one) or just a more involved chat room where we could talk to industry developers, designers, and insiders.
    why dont we actually make the chatroom populated with scheduled events with such people instead of making useless time and effort on a podcast.
    not to mention they took the "discussion" out of "discussion forums" at the links at the top..... which is a terrible terrible outrage.
    there is my rant but overall i still love this site.

uh oh, your not 100/100 perfect anymore and OMG they took disscusion out of disscusion forums, its the apocalypse isnt it.

with all the ads around here they can aford it and last time i checked it was free to me and more entertaining then reading, and honestly i can wait for the news to be read to me becouse im just to damn lazy to read it and there is not that much news that can be broadcast over an internet radio until it gets repeated.

did you even listen to it, its pretty good.

• VespasianVespasian Member Posts: 125

I like the idea and it seems that it'll work very well.  I agree with what was said about moderated and open chats with devs.  I mean look, SWG had moderated chats with devs and at the end of the chat people were so mad about what little was revealed or answered that it did more harm than good to player morale.

Creator of Etherea: Dark Genesis
    A Fantasy/Mythical MMORPG in development
    Found at www.etherea-dg.com

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

I'm still trying to see how this is a bad move.::::06::

I like what they've done and hope they continue with the good work.::::28::

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

NOOOO, the "discusion" has been taken out of "discussion forums"! The world must be ending! i'm gonna go make a tinfoil hat, and wait for the aliens to come for me...or not...im still gonna make the tinfoil hat though.

As for podcasts, i dont really care, i'd rather read something than listen to it, but thats just my opinion.

• MUHzzxK0MUHzzxK0 Member Posts: 389

What would the problem be in blocking all users from chating, but the interviewer and the person being interviewed? You could let users get unblocked one-by-one to let them question the person who is getting interview. Also, to prevent people from taking it unserius, the users who have the option to ask a question should at least have a forum ranking of 3, or what ever you decide.

This would personaly make me mark the date of an interview in the calender and diffently be there. I wan't hot news, BURNING hot!

btw: I haven't heard the podcast but I'm going to now

Originally posted by Xexima

NOOOO, the "discusion" has been taken out of "discussion forums"! The world must be ending! i'm gonna go make a tinfoil hat, and wait for the aliens to come for me...or not...im still gonna make the tinfoil hat though.
    As for podcasts, i dont really care, i'd rather read something than listen to it, but thats just my opinion.

actually tinfoil is proven to increase the amount of radio waves, and other such forms of "mind control" into your head so the tinfoil hat is giving them power....

edit i did download the podcast and its ok......

it does seem to state the obvious like all news but it isnt as bad as my initial assesment.

but the concept of the podcast is still a useless toy in my mind.....

Originally posted by MUHzzxK0
    Originally posted by Lepidus Originally posted by Vergeltungbut why not just get a more active type of news like what i suggested in the chat room by inviting people involved in the industry for OPEN Qand A.i think that would be much much cooleredit there goes my 100/100......Open dev chats simply do not work in my experience. Chaos wins. The only way to make it work is moderated chats and those are time consuming, stressful and often disapointing for the fans.
    What would the problem be in blocking all users from chating, but the interviewer and the person being interviewed? You could let users get unblocked one-by-one to let them question the person who is getting interview. Also, to prevent people from taking it unserius, the users who have the option to ask a question should at least have a forum ranking of 3, or what ever you decide.
    This would personaly make me mark the date of an interview in the calender and diffently be there. I wan't hot news, BURNING hot!

The simple problem is that only 5-10 people would get to ask questions. Thus, we'd have 10 happy gamers and several thousand complaining that they didn't get to ask their questions and they are smarter than those who did.

We try to get user feedback into Q&As by making "question threads" on these boards that ask for contributions to written Q&As, thus this kind of thing exists in a way.

Also - what you are suggesting is an event with a very finite shelf life. A podcast can be downloaded and enjoyed at the user's leisure.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Vergeltungbut why not just get a more active type of news like what i suggested in the chat room by inviting people involved in the industry for OPEN Qand A.i think that would be much much cooleredit there goes my 100/100......

What would the problem be in blocking all users from chating, but the interviewer and the person being interviewed? You could let users get unblocked one-by-one to let them question the person who is getting interview. Also, to prevent people from taking it unserius, the users who have the option to ask a question should at least have a forum ranking of 3, or what ever you decide.

The simple problem is that only 5-10 people would get to ask questions. Thus, we'd have 10 happy gamers and several thousand complaining that they didn't get to ask their questions and they are smarter than those who did.

We try to get user feedback into Q&As by making "question threads" on these boards that ask for contributions to written Q&As, thus this kind of thing exists in a way.

Also - what you are suggesting is an event with a very finite shelf life. A podcast can be downloaded and enjoyed at the user's leisure.

I don't think people complaining would be a problem. If they complain about they "are smarter", then i just can't take them seriusly. Thats just way too immature. But of course you could ask the questions on the boards but I would stil not think that would be as "hot" as if you would maybe get the chance to ask them directly from your own mouth to his ears.

If people complain about not getting to ask a question is the same as complaining about not winning a contest or lotto. Would be way to immature and not taken seriusly.

You say a podcast can be downloaded and enjoyed at the user's leisure. So can a Q&A chat, just copy the whole chat and make a news article out of it.

Btw: I think this would make MUCH more activity on the chat, because as it is now, I don't see a reason to keep it on the site.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I have no opinion on the podcast yet.

But I agree, changing header name is not cool.  Now nobody will die with 1 change, but now that is two changes with the new header...and we never know when they add more change...

Yet change means it is alive. :)  So...

I don't understand why peoples ridiculized the OP about this, some sites goes over complete overhaul and I always think it lack to do so, since users developp habits...I know I will still be looking for discussion for sometimes and then remember the name change, it is nothing major, but it is a small tiny annoyance.  It is a detail, but every detail matter.  It is like when they change some stuff on your road, a point you use as a referrence, it is a detail, but it does matter.

Now the staff is free to do what they want and I hope they will not refrain from changing something they think will improve the site, but they really have the right to wonder, is it really improving it?  Because if it is not, then it means they work, put efforts and peoples see their habits change for not much. image  Yet many small changes is prolly better than 1 overhaul...but if an overhaul happen, it should happen with all changes in it.  Anyway, just my 0,02$  CND  (so round down it is 0,01$ US)

As for the questions to the devs and everything, if you really care, go ahead and ask them, you would be surprised at how likely a dev may eventually answer you on a forum (don't spam them).  For example, if you go on the Vanguard forum and ask a question, maybe Brad won't be the one answering you, but I am pretty sure a dev will answer you...now if you are unlucky Fetchey will answer you as well!  image  (can't resist the teasing)  Or worse, some GL of an uberguild!  image  But well, devs answer to those persistant, polite and clear (my problem is clearness) enough.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye

I have no opinion on the podcast yet.
    But I agree, changing header name is not cool.  Now nobody will die with 1 change, but now that is two changes with the new header...and we never know when they add more change...
    Yet change means it is alive. :)  So...
    I don't understand why peoples ridiculized the OP about this, some sites goes over complete overhaul and I always think it lack to do so, since users developp habits...I know I will still be looking for discussion for sometimes and then remember the name change, it is nothing major, but it is a small tiny annoyance.  It is a detail, but every detail matter.  It is like when they change some stuff on your road, a point you use as a referrence, it is a detail, but it does matter.
    Now the staff is free to do what they want and I hope they will not refrain from changing something they think will improve the site, but they really have the right to wonder, is it really improving it?  Because if it is not, then it means they work, put efforts and peoples see their habits change for not much. image  Yet many small changes is prolly better than 1 overhaul...but if an overhaul happen, it should happen with all changes in it.  Anyway, just my 0,02$  CND  (so round down it is 0,01$ US)
    As for the questions to the devs and everything, if you really care, go ahead and ask them, you would be surprised at how likely a dev may eventually answer you on a forum (don't spam them).  For example, if you go on the Vanguard forum and ask a question, maybe Brad won't be the one answering you, but I am pretty sure a dev will answer you...now if you are unlucky Fetchey will answer you as well!  image  (can't resist the teasing)  Or worse, some GL of an uberguild!  image  But well, devs answer to those persistant, polite and clear (my problem is clearness) enough.

Sorry but what are you trying to say? You make up an oppinion and then you make up an argument that makes you oppinion not hold.

Also, if the mods change something then yes, you will know. They don't go ahead and add something without leaving a newsarticle about it.

And for devs answering questions on boards have never been in my experience.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Basically I just say that ridiculizing the OP was a nonsense, changing the header is disturbing no matter what someone say.

I understand and tolerate changes, but I understand the OP, every change disturb habits and peoples making fun of peoples complaining of a 1 word change are silly, every change matter.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Basically I just say that ridiculizing the OP was a nonsense, changing the header is disturbing no matter what someone say.

I understand and tolerate changes, but I understand the OP, every change disturb habits and peoples making fun of peoples complaining of a 1 word change are silly, every change matter.

I admit, I've been half tempted to click "News Room" thinking its "Discussion Forums" all day. However, this is a very minor change and I believe a good thing since it means we can have more active content in the header.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

I have to agree. It's a matter of days for the users to get used to it.

But I still don't see why. Dana said something about space in the menu bar, even though with my 1024x768 res there is still room for a few more buttons or the word "discussion"..

I have to agree. It's a matter of days for the users to get used to it.
    But I still don't see why. Dana said something about space in the menu bar, even though with my 1024x768 res there is still room for a few more buttons or the word "discussion"..

We may in the future need to add more, thus it is better to make room while making changes and remove unnecessary words.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    My Pod has a wart on it image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I don't have an opinion on it yet thus I got to check them out. I really can't see why  "discussion" is out of  the menu. It just felt so...intelligent and now with forums it just seems like the thing ever other site puts in their menu . . FORUMS.

I'm not saying that I dislike it but it now seems just....regular and not how it reflects up. We make great "discussions", thus with FORUMS it seems that we just talk about random stuff all the time. (I am picturing as if someone was judging the book by it's cover...another view on it).

I got this one question, If I can have a wish for Christmas, I would like to see the "discussion" back up there, if not forever at least for a month or take some time to make it fit. If that can't happen there is no Santa.image

This Podcast, I am unfamiliar with it. I do like to read things though and interviews with devs. Remember when Tactica Online's developers came every friday to view and answer questions we had in a thread wating for the dev? That was pretty cool and the time like that from a developer is priceless. He answered all of our questions to the last drop.

That has more moral than a Podcast in my opinion, but we will find out in the future. I'll check out this podcast later on.

Sorry if everything sounds funny in my post. I'm about to go to bed.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

I don't have an opinion on it yet thus I got to check them out. I really can't see why  "discussion" is out of  the menu. It just felt so...intelligent and now with forums it just seems like the thing ever other site puts in their menu . . FORUMS.
    I'm not saying that I dislike it but it now seems just....regular and not how it reflects up. We make great "discussions", thus with FORUMS it seems that we just talk about random stuff all the time. (I am picturing as if someone was judging the book by it's cover...another view on it).
    I got this one question, If I can have a wish for Christmas, I would like to see the "discussion" back up there, if not forever at least for a month or take some time to make it fit. If that can't happen there is no Santa.image
    This Podcast, I am unfamiliar with it. I do like to read things though and interviews with devs. Remember when Tactica Online's developers came every friday to view and answer questions we had in a thread wating for the dev? That was pretty cool and the time like that from a developer is priceless. He answered all of our questions to the last drop.
    That has more moral than a Podcast in my opinion, but we will find out in the future. I'll check out this podcast later on.

Sorry if everything sounds funny in my post. I'm about to go to bed.

Aahhh I know exactly what you mean, riki. Here's the solution: "Discussion" should get back infront of forum for another 14 days but it has to be flashing so people can kind of get used to it... or not.. :P

Why did descussion leave? Why don't we ask him? BAD "DISCUSSION"! grrr...

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Sounds like a downgrade to me (for the menu). Didn't comics used to be "Cool Comics"? Well the comics is ok but the forums one is kinda disturbing.

I may can get used to it in a few more days but damn. Just dose'nt seem right.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos