Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Double Standard? I think so!

JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Okay I've started playing CoH again, just to check out the new City of Villans part (not bad, but it's the same game, once you get sick of fighting the same things over and over, only thing to do is log off) but I've noticed something: Every time you zone, which is quite a bit considering 98% of the game is instanced, you get a splash screen of the box cover, with little boxes at the bottom saying This game plays better with Intel, and Nvida, and Windows. These are ads you see everytime you zone.

Now me I don't have a problem with it, if things like this let the company have enough capital so that you can play both CoH and CoV for only $15 then have at it. The problem is, no one has said a word about it.

EQ2 adds the /pizza command that you would NEVER see if you didn't type that command and SOE becomes the Anti-Christ, yet NCSoft places ad banners on their loading page, and not a word is said.

Kind of makes you wonder huh?

Comments

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Not really a double standard. People will complain about anything they can. If CoH put in the pizza command, people will complain just as hard.

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Its different things yoru comparing.

There is no command to order those computer parts. As well those computer companies are needed to play the game in various forms.

Pizza however is not needed to keep your computer running. Part of the Hoopla against the pizza command was its integration into the MMORPG land which had never been seen before.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Originally posted by Jodokai
    Okay I've started playing CoH again, just to check out the new City of Villans part (not bad, but it's the same game, once you get sick of fighting the same things over and over, only thing to do is log off) but I've noticed something: Every time you zone, which is quite a bit considering 98% of the game is instanced, you get a splash screen of the box cover, with little boxes at the bottom saying This game plays better with Intel, and Nvida, and Windows. These are ads you see everytime you zone.
    Now me I don't have a problem with it, if things like this let the company have enough capital so that you can play both CoH and CoV for only $15 then have at it. The problem is, no one has said a word about it.
    EQ2 adds the /pizza command that you would NEVER see if you didn't type that command and SOE becomes the Anti-Christ, yet NCSoft places ad banners on their loading page, and not a word is said.
    Kind of makes you wonder huh?

Actually, the CoH thing that you are referring to is either a bug, or is lag.

what you are seeing is the Login Page of CoH, you see it for a few secodns before the zone actually begins to load, then you see the loading screen thing, which usually has a picture of the zone you are entering.

I do not believe that Cryptic intentually made the login screen load every time you zone.

EDIT: Actually, its not the login screen, but i know i have seen it before (other than while zoning).

I have been playing CoH since july 04, and have never seen this screen while zoning before, so i thought id just add that because i doubt Cryptic is doing it on purpose.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Ranma13

Not really a double standard. People will complain about anything they can. If CoH put in the pizza command, people will complain just as hard.

Appearently not. CoH has done something even more blantent. something you cannot avoid, and no one says a word. If you never went to the forums or never talked to a single person, you would still see those ads. The /pizza comand you'd never know about. You had to see it on the forums or someone had to tell you about it. /pizza is non-intrusive, what CoH is doing is VERY intrusive.

I don't think it is lag. If it only happened once in awhile okay maybe lag, but not every time I zone. I stood out side a a mission door and went back and forth and it happened every time. I was doing this this afternoon which is hardly peak time. I'll ask around though and see if everyone is seeing it.

The screen appears just before the loading screen, and it happens every time. I just tested it again.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

The real answer is that Intel, Nvidia, and Windows are quality products.

Pizza Hut makes crappy Pizza.

Another example of SOE's poor judgement.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Jorev
    The real answer is that Intel, Nvidia, and Windows are quality products.
    Pizza Hut makes crappy Pizza.
    Another example of SOE's poor judgement.

a) thats an opinion not a fact
    b) BECAUSE that's an opinion it was the worst argument I've ever seen. I hope it was a joke.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

Just ignore him Nih. Jorev can't stand the fact that EQ2 is the best game on the market and is still a little bitter about wasting all that money on WoW.
  • SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Oh btw,

When you start up EQ2, do you happen to see the Dell logo pop up by anychance?

Yea, you can click past that, but you still look at it.

Im still confused as to why people complain about the /pizza command. I wonder how many people actually use it? lol

The difference with the Dell logo, is that it doesn't intrude on the game. Once you start playing you'll never see it.

As far as people's problem with /pizza: It's SOE. It's a lot like Microsoft, most people have no idea why they hate them, it has just become cool to do so.

• PosokhovPosokhov Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Jodokai
    The difference with the Dell logo, is that it doesn't intrude on the game. Once you start playing you'll never see it.
    As far as people's problem with /pizza: It's SOE. It's a lot like Microsoft, most people have no idea why they hate them, it has just become cool to do so.

The big reason people whine about SOE and Microsoft is the same reason. They try to improve their profits. Which is quite an odd argument, considering they're complanies and their goal is to make money.