Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New PCU Record

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

EVE Online has done it again. In what seems to be becoming almost a regular announcement, EVE developers are boasting the breaking of another Peak Concurrent Users record. This time they had 17,816 players online at once.

At 20:45 on Sunday evening (2005.11.27) EVE players broke their own Peak Concurrent Player (PCU) record with 17.816 playing at the same time.

For more EVE Online, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Sweet. Although I think it is not much of an improvement over their last record. I understand they want to show off their numbers but they can do that every 1000, or something like that. However it good progress!

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

I bet they can thank SOE/LA for their new record ::::02::

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Really not all that much more from the last record, EVE likes to inform their playerbase, MMORPG.com needs to stop adding it as their news everytime eve-online.com does ::::31::.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Yes, seriously let's not post anything until the 20k mark.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

I have to echo the thoughts already expressed, no more announcements of this type until a milestone is reached, though I'd take it a step further and say every 5k mark.

I'd be interested in the number of system crashes or the number of player drops that occur, but I'll bet you won't be seeing that published anytime soon.

• badirontreebadirontree Member UncommonPosts: 42

http://www.eve-files.com/media/11/EVE_RMR_Gallente_Mothership(1).jpg
    just to droouulllee over your keyboard
    over 30-40 ships that are coming in christmans + more cool stuff = 20k people :)

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

I am definately looking forward to those updates, EVE is a great game and they will probably break 20k ppl with chrismas patch but that doesnt change the fact the yare over zelous with their "record breaking numbers". =)

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Two important thing to note:

1. Keep in mind that the EVE community is use to getting consistant feedback from the Devs. Therefore frequent updates of how their servers and business is doing has been the norm. This isn't bragging, this is staying in constant touch with their customers.

2. The PCU is actually a pretty good metric to use when evaluating the health of the game. Every time the PCU makes a new record is during Sunday evening for the Euros and Sunday afternoon for the Americans. This is the time frame where the majority of CCP's customers have free time to play EVE. Historically the PCU during Sunday has been a good indicator of the customers' interest in EVE. When intrest in the game starts to wane, the PCU decreases. When interest increases and new customers are brought on we see the PCU increase.

The fact that the PCU has been consistantly rising since the last major content expansion in July indicates that EVE has been increasing its consumer base and has not peaked out like similar MMOs. This means EVE is becoming more popular and is a sucessful business model.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    c'mon mmorpg.com you don't need to post this as news even if EVE posts it, I mean seriously.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.