Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People complaining about WOW being too simple...

gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

I don't understand how people can whine about this game being too simple and dumbed down and they are the same people anticipating Final Fantasy XII.

It dawned on me this morning how much those games suck. At least in WOW there is the challenge of having to... DUN DUN DUN... ***MOVE*** while you fight. My neighbor let me borrow Final Fantasy X and VII, I dont see how those games get such good ratings. If I want a good plot, I'll buy a damn book. The characters are either metrosexuals or cynical morons. There is no variety, it's either one or the other.

But I digress. I just don't see why people are complaining about this game being too simple when in Final Fantasy you are given the grace of not even having to move your character while you fight.

So what's their argument going to be now?

EDIT- This post doesnt apply to Final Fantasy XI.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

I hope you realize the amount of flaming you called upon yourself by putting FF VII, X, and XII down...

Oh, and exactly how long did you play X and VII for cause if you accually did play them you'd realize they require a little more skill.(not like twitch based halo2 skill)And if you look at it, WoW is basicly walk click attack...(not that im saying its simple)

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Haha, WoW is easily the simplest mmo out there (currency wise) for 3 reasons.

1. Wipe out a few instances, loot them. sell everything at AH. At high levels, you make loads.
    2. Gullible retards who buy things at insanely high prices.
    3. Mining.

Originally posted by Nierro

1. Wipe out a few instances, loot them. sell everything at AH. At high levels, you make loads.
    2. Gullible retards who buy things at insanely high prices.
    3. Mining.

Wait, mining and retards make the game simple how?
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

To each his own I guess.

Sure, people can like Final Fantasy, I have no problem with that.

I'm sick of all the forum trolls targeting WOW because it is "simple". Look at Final Fantasy. What makes that so much more "complicated"?

And I'm not talking about twitch based. I play strategy games moreso than any other games. I'm talking about how in Final Fantasy, there is no motive for quick thinking or planning when all you do is hit your highest damage spells, cast healing spells every now and then on your guys and instead of doing any of this yourself you are watching 4 poorly thought out characters do all the cool spell-casting and sword-hitting themselves.

Originally posted by BobCrazyton
    1. Wipe out a few instances, loot them. sell everything at AH. At high levels, you make loads.2. Gullible retards who buy things at insanely high prices.3. Mining.Wait, mining and retards make the game simple how?

How long have you played WoW for?

Mine, make bars, sell at AH. I made 200g in 2 days playing 4 hours each day.
    Boring, yes.

Oh and let me make another comment-

Was it me or did the gaming industry take two steps backwards when Final Fantasy 7 came out?

1997- StarCraft, GoldenEye, (I cant think of any RPGs cause I didnt play RPGs back then)

Then Final Fantasy VII comes out, everyone feeds into it and suddenly bad graphics, plots ripped off from Akira and an awful fighting system becomes a trend in RPGs throughout the rest of the 90s until Diablo 2 comes out and reminds the world there is more to gaming then hitting an attack button and your character can actually move in combat.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Leveling 1 - 40 is simple and boring plus there isn’t that much you can do. If you make more than one person you can’t go level some where completely different it’s all the same unless you change side.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by gargantroo

I don't understand how people can whine about this game being too simple and dumbed down and they are the same people anticipating Final Fantasy XII.
    It dawned on me this morning how much those games suck. At least in WOW there is the challenge of having to... DUN DUN DUN... ***MOVE*** while you fight. My neighbor let me borrow Final Fantasy X and VII, I dont see how those games get such good ratings. If I want a good plot, I'll buy a damn book. The characters are either metrosexuals or cynical morons. There is no variety, it's either one or the other.
    But I digress. I just don't see why people are complaining about this game being too simple when in Final Fantasy you are given the grace of not even having to move your character while you fight.

I think people are comparing the simplicity of WoW to other MMORPG games. 
  • FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by reavo

I don't understand how people can whine about this game being
    SNIPPED

Ture. I have not seen any threads about WoW being too simple compared to the FF series. Perhaps the OP would kindly post a link.

WoW IS simple to play, far more so than many other MMORPGs. It's the thing that makes it so much fun to play, and so easy to get into at the start. However I would have preferred it to get tougher later on. At lvl 59 I was still being told who had quests for me with a ! mark. At lvl 59 I was getting so much XP that I had to fight NOT to level up. At lvl 59 monsters were no more challenging or intelligent than they were at lvl 9.

• CroeCroe Member Posts: 194

I think wow is simple because you let yourself click and attack. its not like they dont hook us up with skills to use there are a bunch of skills and any of these skills in the right situation can turn the tide in battle. I find people that just click and attack arnt good players and i dont wanna play with them cause i know they arnt doing everything they can to insure the survival of the group. Yes wow can be simple after you understand the way it works after you played it it seems easy. But how about ppl that havent played it yet that dont understand tradeskilling and stuff like that?

I think the skills matter more so in wow then other games ive played cause of the added on effect they have (example: on a bad pull as a mage you mistakenly pull 3 mobs and they will kill you instead of dieing you cast frost nova and if they do not resist they wont be able to move leaving you free to get a head start and run away) I like the idea of alot of skills and them mattering cause i get tired of attacks that just attack and have nothing else to them no strategic value. I like other games dont get me wrong im not saying that wow is the only game with this im just saying it is there and you can do this instead of just clicking and attacking that might be why it seems boring to some of the others.
    (and about monsters being the same i dont think thats true cause of the debuffs a certain monster can lower your attk speed while another poisons you i dont think that counts as monsters being the same)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

1. Wipe out a few instances, loot them. sell everything at AH. At high levels, you make loads.2. Gullible retards who buy things at insanely high prices.3. Mining.
    Wait, mining and retards make the game simple how?

How long have you played WoW for?

Mine, make bars, sell at AH. I made 200g in 2 days playing 4 hours each day.
    Boring, yes.

Swg was way worse for currency than WOW is. I was loaded before I ever hit master in any proffession. Im sure there a few other games as well. It becomes incresingly easy to make money as you are a high level in any game...go figure.

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by Finduilas

Originally posted by reavo

I don't understand how people can whine about this game being
    SNIPPED

Ture. I have not seen any threads about WoW being too simple compared to the FF series. Perhaps the OP would kindly post a link.

WoW IS simple to play, far more so than many other MMORPGs. It's the thing that makes it so much fun to play, and so easy to get into at the start. However I would have preferred it to get tougher later on. At lvl 59 I was still being told who had quests for me with a ! mark. At lvl 59 I was getting so much XP that I had to fight NOT to level up. At lvl 59 monsters were no more challenging or intelligent than they were at lvl 9.

I agree.  That simpleness does seem okay at first but get's old. 

I was playing another game (I won't state which one because I'm not trying to start a flame war here) last night and noticed I was getting quests from items I picked up.  I was also getting quests from objects in the environment (like there was a note lying in a boat).  And there were quests to get to know more about the creatures I was fighting (like their history and even their language so I could understand the gibberish they were saying eventually). 

Complex quests too.  Not just go kill X numbers of these and you'll get this nifty little prize.  They were quests to learn more about the world I was playing in.  Which was cool because the more I played the more alive the world became. 

I just found it cool that there was thoughtful complexity.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Wow.

Ok, first let's start this off. The Final Fantasy series is NOT MMORPG, they are RPG (exception of FFXI, but it's not a true FF anyway, just used the name to gain more popularity). WoW, is MMORPG.

How and why in the world would you compare a MMORPG to a RPG? They are basically different genres.

Final Fantasy requires MUCH more skill than World of Warcraft. How long did you play FFX or FFVII for? 1 minute? Just because you don't move freely in the turn based combat system, doesn't mean it requires no skill at all. WoW requires so much more skill than Final Fantasy, you say?

In WoW, you just get yourself some uber gear, and uber skills, then you go ahead click attack on a monster, then watch and hit a few keys to bust out some skills, but you do basically the same thing under the same conditions (if monster is running, you stun. If party member is almost dieing, you heal etc.). So much skill there, huh?

In Final Fantasy, strategy is required, there are actually bosses that require A LOT of thinking and strategy to defeat.

I have no idea why I even bothered writing all that. You comparing WoW to FF is like comparing apples and oranges, you just can't do it and it doesn't make any sense. Try comparing WoW to some other MMORPG.

Doesnt matter if its an MMORPG or not...
    simplicity obviously hasn't phased people until World of Warcraft came out.

And by the way- for the comment on how long I've played the games...
    I beat them when I was 10 (7) and I don't think I ever finished FF10 because I lost the CD. I used to be a fan, but I just suddenly came to a realisation that there is more to gaming then watching a character run up to a monster and hit it while you sit back and hit an attack button.
    And you just can't get "uber gear". That takes hours in Molten Core or one of the higher end instances just to get maybe a piece of "uber gear" (you have to remember all of the rogues, druids, etc in your 40 man group will be rolling on it).

And turn-based combat doesnt require you to think off your feet like World of Warcraft does. You can think until your turn ends (or at least in FF10 you can)

Originally posted by Bama1267
    Originally posted by Nierro Originally posted by BobCrazytonOriginally posted by Nierro Haha, WoW is easily the simplest mmo out there (currency wise) for 3 reasons.1. Wipe out a few instances, loot them. sell everything at AH. At high levels, you make loads.2. Gullible retards who buy things at insanely high prices.3. Mining.
    Wait, mining and retards make the game simple how?How long have you played WoW for?
    Mine, make bars, sell at AH. I made 200g in 2 days playing 4 hours each day.Boring, yes. Swg was way worse for currency than WOW is. I was loaded before I ever hit master in any proffession. Im sure there a few other games as well. It becomes incresingly easy to make money as you are a high level in any game...go figure.

Hehe, I was level 28 with 250+g

What kinds of idiots pay for game currency when it's that easy to farm it yourself?
    ::::40::

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Doesnt matter if its an MMORPG or not...
    simplicity obviously hasn't phased people until World of Warcraft came out.And by the way- for the comment on how long I've played the games...
    I beat them when I was 10 (7) and I don't think I ever finished FF10 because I lost the CD. I used to be a fan, but I just suddenly came to a realisation that there is more to gaming then watching a character run up to a monster and hit it while you sit back and hit an attack button.
    And you just can't get "uber gear". That takes hours in Molten Core or one of the higher end instances just to get maybe a piece of "uber gear" (you have to remember all of the rogues, druids, etc in your 40 man group will be rolling on it).And turn-based combat doesnt require you to think off your feet like World of Warcraft does. You can think until your turn ends (or at least in FF10 you can)

That sounds so exciting, fun, and complex! Hours and hours of an instance over and over just to get some uber pixels!

Sorry, but I play games for the story, content, and to have fun. World of Warcraft has nothing other than a dozen instances that has a few bosses, and you grind them to maybe get some uber pixeled gear. World of Warcraft just takes the simple aspects of other MMORPGs and combines them, nothing new, nothing complex. What do you do in world of warcraft? Well, let's see:

1. Level up to 60, which takes a few weeks for the casual gamer.
    2. Grind instances for uber gear.
    3. Professions, just gather tons of things and hit a button and you're making something!
    4. PvP/Battlegrounds
    5. Quests (Which would also fit into number 1, basically, since 99% of it is just "kill that, return to me")
    6. Oh, no more.

Well let's take a look at it a bit deeper.

Level up to 60, while questing - 1-2 months
    Max out level for profession(s) - 1-2 months
    Grind instances to get max uber gear - 2-3 months

What does that leave you to do? Raid opposite faction towns, or battlegrounds! Nothing else! Or maybe grind to get your uber mount, or grind more to get more uber gear to make yourself feel better looking at pixels.

6 months till you have nothing more or new to do. Gee, sounds complicated with loads of complex content, eh?

The combat system is also nothing special, basically a clone of every single MMORPG out there.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by Xzaro
    Sorry, but I play games for the story, content, and to have fun. World of Warcraft has nothing other than a dozen instances that has a few bosses, and you grind them to maybe get some uber pixeled gear. World of Warcraft just takes the simple aspects of other MMORPGs and combines them, nothing new, nothing complex.

I'm in the end game instances of Wow almost each day, and I enjoy the storlines there very much. Just take BWL as a example, you start to hear about this place in you lvl 50's. It's always there in the back of the quests, the dialogue, Nefarian watches you while you fight the orc on the dragon in the upper black rock spire. The instances pre BWL are filled with hints and clues to the might blackwing lair. Saying there isn't a story is completely wrong. Remember World of Warcraf has one of the most developed storylines of any game out there. That was just a example of a great storyline that goes over 20+ quests and with alot of lore around it that is fed to you with a spoon. Another storyline I'm really enjoying right now is the one around Ahn'Qiraj (lauches next patch) There are alot of quest that point you towards those huge gates that are blocking giant masses of monsters inside. They are going to be opened in next patch. But they quest do not only point towards that patch, they are also starting the reveal plots of the expansion. They also posted lore on their website for you to read. If you say Wow's endgame instances lack story, you haven't paid attetion to the game.

Regarding if Wow is simple or not. It's not. It's easy to learn and play, because the controls and the ui are inuitive and logical built up. A crappy ui with 50 windows placed with no logical sence at all doesn't make a game more complex. If you take all mmo's down to their basic level they are all about pressing some buttons in a timely manner. Most mmo's aren't anymore complex than wow. If you can play Wow or EQ2, you can perfectly play Daoc or most other mmo's out there. Many say that Wow is more simple because it goes quite fast to level. But there isn't really a difference in pressing buttons in 5 hours or in 20 hours.

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

In my opinion RPG generally takes the same about of skill. What mostly matters in RPG is your knoweldge of the game, and how long you've been playing it. Most of the time(counts both for FF and for WoW) it's the strength of your character that determines who ends as the victor(and of course that you not being a retard)

RPGs is mostly about just using the right skills at the right times. Meaning, you need knoweldge and a good character to win. You need to know which skills works great against certain enemies, and which skills should be used at certain times. And then you need a character who is strong enough to pull it off.

WoW is simple to get into. Combat is just move around a bit, maybe you're lucky you're out of range, and then just use the right skills at the right time. In major battles you need to talk with the others so you time your usage of skills, and keep each other healed. In FF it's basically the same. Use the right skills at the right time, make sure your teammates(your other characters) are alive if needed(sometimes they are better of dead since they will die again)

This is actually standard for most RPGs...

Wanna play something skilled play RTS. You need the reactions, you need the micro, you need the experience and you need the knoweldge. ::::02::::::02::

--------------------------------------------

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Originally posted by Xzaro

Wow.
    Ok, first let's start this off. The Final Fantasy series is NOT MMORPG, they are RPG (exception of FFXI, but it's not a true FF anyway, just used the name to gain more popularity). WoW, is MMORPG.
    How and why in the world would you compare a MMORPG to a RPG? They are basically different genres.
    Final Fantasy requires MUCH more skill than World of Warcraft. How long did you play FFX or FFVII for? 1 minute? Just because you don't move freely in the turn based combat system, doesn't mean it requires no skill at all. WoW requires so much more skill than Final Fantasy, you say?
    In WoW, you just get yourself some uber gear, and uber skills, then you go ahead click attack on a monster, then watch and hit a few keys to bust out some skills, but you do basically the same thing under the same conditions (if monster is running, you stun. If party member is almost dieing, you heal etc.). So much skill there, huh?
    In Final Fantasy, strategy is required, there are actually bosses that require A LOT of thinking and strategy to defeat.
    I have no idea why I even bothered writing all that. You comparing WoW to FF is like comparing apples and oranges, you just can't do it and it doesn't make any sense. Try comparing WoW to some other MMORPG.

i don't see how that makes FF any more difficult than WoW. its basically the same thing. in wow you attac until you need to heal or use a spell or special attack. same thing with FF. i don't see how FF requires more strategy...seems about the same to me.
  • ReonackReonack Member Posts: 38

How can you compare games like FFVII and WoW? They are total different games its like saying Civ 4 is so boring Doom 3 has much more action. If you where to compare WoW to FFII that would be find but this just makes no sence.

For the record FFVII is still the best game ever made IMO image

Originally posted by Reonack

How can you compare games like FFVII and WoW? They are total different games its like saying Civ 4 is so boring Doom 3 has much more action. If you where to compare WoW to FFII that would be find but this just makes no sence.

I agree but MMORPG and RPG are similar and FPS and RTS are way different. But the real idiot here is gargantroo...it seems every post he makes about a video game is bad except for the ones about WoW...I SMELL FANBOI!!!

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

The only ones complaining are the morons that play MMORPGs 10 hours a day and then complain about the end game. Vanguard has a bunch of idiots like that, planning (pre-release mind you) to put in 70 hours a week gaming!

None of these people can be pleased by any game being released, and many devs are now ignoring them. WoW proved that the unacceptable games in the genre was the real reason they had no players.

I am awaiting another decent game to go with WoW, and it maybe Warhammer. Vanguard is itself going to flop in mine and many others opinions, so not bothering with that probably.

Originally posted by krenalor
    The only ones complaining are the morons that play MMORPGs 10 hours a day and then complain about the end game. Vanguard has a bunch of idiots like that, planning (pre-release mind you) to put in 70 hours a week gaming!
    None of these people can be pleased by any game being released, and many devs are now ignoring them. WoW proved that the unacceptable games in the genre was the real reason they had no players.
    I am awaiting another decent game to go with WoW, and it maybe Warhammer. Vanguard is itself going to flop in mine and many others opinions, so not bothering with that probably.

How can you even have a bad endgame anyway? .. It's the same old game except you kill stuff easier and stop leveling.::::34::

Those people bother me too.

Originally posted by krenalor

Vanguard Flop? Not likely will it have as many members as WoW? No but that doesnt mean it will flop. As for VG having players planning on playing 70 hours a week, you might be right a handful will do that, but that would do that with any game they play, thats just them its hardly limited to VG I mean someone died from playing WoW for to long. Hardcore players are and will be in every game.

Originally posted by Reonack

I agree but MMORPG and RPG are similar and FPS and RTS are way different. But the real idiot here is gargantroo...it seems every post he makes about a video game is bad except for the ones about WoW...I SMELL FANBOI!!!

They do have some stuff in common, swords, magic, monsters, levels, etc but they style of gameplay is very very different. You cant really compare them imo