Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's and climbing prices

Just a tip folks. If you don't like the rising prices of MMO's then do what many of us who are already sick of half-baked releases have been doing for years:

DONT BUY THEM WHEN THEY FIRST COME OUT!!!

80% of the time you'll be hugely dissapointed anyway. I have yet to see an MMO release with everything it promised. 9 times out of 10, hell... 99 times out of 100 they intentionally release without features because they know the sheep out here will buy them so they can afford to finish the game 'later'.

Don't believe me? Go through the game list here and try to find a single title that released "as promised"

I can think of 2:
1) DAOC
2) EVE

None of the other MMORPG's on that list were what they promised at release (trust me, I've played most of them).

So when the next line of MMORPG's come out and are priced over $50 just do like I do:
Don't buy them.

Wait till the price drops. You'll be helping your wallet and your sanity. Let the sheeple buy them and pay to play a beta. Be smart, wait a few months, the price WILL drop.... then buy the game when it's actually ready to be played. Sure you'll miss out on all the "fun" and "thrills" of being the first (read: Finding all the damn bugs that are still in from beta pluss the hundreds more that cropped up in release).

Feel free to discuss. This is just my advice. But I've found that doing this has saved my sanity more times than not :) By all means, play betas and get into free trials and demos. But for god's sake don't pay over-inflated prices to play a damn beta.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Yep, this has always been a given for me. I never really understood the need to jump on an MMO right at release, because that is assuredly when the game will have most of it's major problems (unless you're SWG).

On the other hand, though, it's always good to have a decent amount of players jumping aboard at launch, so that all those annoying launch bugs are found and eventually ironed out for when the patient gamer decides to give the game a go.

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

WoW has been out for almost a year now and it hasn't come down in price. EBGames still sells it for $49.99 as well as many other major stores like that.

the less popular or crappy titles come down in price usually, though. 

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

I agree with the OP.  The only way that I ever pre-order is if I can stand to play the game in it's open beta stage (final beta if applicable), because we all know that there is never a "miracle" patch to add content and update graphics that weren't actually tested.

And I wouldn't put EVE in as being complete at release, because it wasn't.  I jumped on board the month after release and I can still remember alot of simple items missing from the game that just got put in a few months ago.  EVE took time to mature into the game it is now.

• djtrancerdjtrancer Member Posts: 93

Why go down with price when it sells? :P
    That's not good if you wanna get more cash.. i would sell it at the same price until it didn't sell that good anymore.. wouldn't you?
    I mean WoW is the mmorpg that has the most players without competition..

We all want to earn cash.. you wouln't do it any other way either ;)

But as a customer i would like the game to become less expencive and that goes for everyone.. i don't think there's a single soul out there who would wanna spend more money thatn needed!

We shall all die in vain.. you decide how!

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Ashkent

WoW has been out for almost a year now and it hasn't come down in price. EBGames still sells it for $49.99 as well as many other major stores like that.

Wal-mart has WoW at $39.99...just an FYI image

Originally posted by pyros98

Wal-mart has WoW at $39.99...just an FYI image

i didn't say it was that way everywhere. but it really hasn't come down except in a few places or online stores, which are usually cheaper in everything anyway.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Funny... I got my copy of WoW for $34.95 at Target 2 months ago. It's already shelved, however, as I found it utterly boring.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Elnator

Funny... I got my copy of WoW for $34.95 at Target 2 months ago. It's already shelved, however, as I found it utterly boring.

did you read my last post?

the major game stores still sell it for $49.99

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

Just saw it go down to $29.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067FDW/qid=1132787251/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2238110-4859816?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

But, you are otherwise right.  Haven't seen it for less than $44.99 since release. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Don't believe me? Go through the game list here and try to find a single title that released "as promised"
    I can think of 2:
    1) DAOC
    2) EVE

Eve fans are funny.

how long did it take them to get player stations in ? in beta they said releace, then it was soon after. I plaed for a year and never saw one. Titan still haven't made it into the game ( as far as I know )

I agree with you that games never come out as promised, but eve is on that list too :P

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

World of Warcraft has been out for how long? and its still got stupid bugs like... oh... the fact that you can walk up walls? XD

I dont think they will ever fix that bug... theyll just keep ignoring it.

Its true. I never buy games after they first come out, because its a waste of my time and money.

Good post ::::28::

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

All games have had their bugs and empty promises. Picking out any single game to bitch about is just being stupid.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I don't buy any game any more till it drops below 40 bucks, I usualy wait till they hit 30 whether it is MMORPG or FPS or whatever. Keeps me from buying a lot of turkeys also, by the time a game is out 6 months to a year you know it will be good or not for sure.

I miss DAoC

• eshokeseshokes Member Posts: 30

Prices are going through the roof...software, hardware....

My only option is to start a guild tell my accountant and uncle sam I am teaching an online economics course, charge a small fee for research and development(hardware/games) and just take the tax deductions.

Wonder how difficult it would be to get 30 students to sign up for a basic economics education in a live virtual world?

Just an idea?

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Just a tip folks. If you don't like the rising prices of MMO's then do what many of us who are already sick of half-baked releases have been doing for years:DONT BUY THEM WHEN THEY FIRST COME OUT!!!80% of the time you'll be hugely dissapointed anyway. I have yet to see an MMO release with everything it promised. 9 times out of 10, hell... 99 times out of 100 they intentionally release without features because they know the sheep out here will buy them so they can afford to finish the game 'later'.Don't believe me? Go through the game list here and try to find a single title that released "as promised"I can think of 2:
    1) DAOC
    2) EVENone of the other MMORPG's on that list were what they promised at release (trust me, I've played most of them).So when the next line of MMORPG's come out and are priced over $50 just do like I do:
    Don't buy them.Wait till the price drops. You'll be helping your wallet and your sanity. Let the sheeple buy them and pay to play a beta. Be smart, wait a few months, the price WILL drop.... then buy the game when it's actually ready to be played. Sure you'll miss out on all the "fun" and "thrills" of being the first (read: Finding all the damn bugs that are still in from beta pluss the hundreds more that cropped up in release).Feel free to discuss. This is just my advice. But I've found that doing this has saved my sanity more times than not :) By all means, play betas and get into free trials and demos. But for god's sake don't pay over-inflated prices to play a damn beta.

Amen brother !

It is nice to see there is few wise people left on this forums

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I've got a better idea!! Don't buy the box. Only subscribe to games that are available for download and have a trial period. Veto the box entirely. If they want to give out demo discs at the store, fine. But DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A BOX TO A GAME YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY MONTHLY FOR. Ditto for expansions. Unless the box is the whole price of the game, tell the developers to go fuck themselves and keep your money. Pay the monthly fee or pay for the box, but for the love of god, don't pay both.