Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP System Coming?

AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

Greetings,

I'm sick and tired of World of Warcraft.  The community of that game annoys me and the noob-ish scent that game gives off makes me sick.  I wanted something mature.  I wanted something with actual "roleplayers".  I wanted PvP with consequences.  I found Everquest II.  All my wishes were about to come true until I realized EQII in fact had no pvp.  Major let down.  image  So, I'm reading the forums at the official site and people keep talking about this "upcoming PvP system coming soon".  Does anyone have -any- information at all?  Much appreciated.

-Vyre, soon to be EQ2 player 

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

Comments

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

EQ2 and PVP just don't mix!
    It currently has instanced PVP that noone ever uses and dueling that noone ever uses!

It's getting open PVP like WOW but tbh the graphics engine and combat system wasn't made for PVP ;)

Plus zoning will kill it

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

While Scaramoosh have his own schedule and reason to post here, his right on one thing. You do not come to Eq2 to pvp. It might change once they add pvp-ruleset servers, but right now, and the next months Eq2 have a PvE community. And Eq2 is a PvE game. And in my opinion should stay that and add content for PvE and dont try to be a PvP game. PvP leave at least half the population unhappy, so why go there :p

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

While Scaramoosh have his own schedule and reason to post here, his right on one thing. You do not come to Eq2 to pvp. It might change once they add pvp-ruleset servers, but right now, and the next months Eq2 have a PvE community. And Eq2 is a PvE game. And in my opinion should stay that and add content for PvE and dont try to be a PvP game. PvP leave at least half the population unhappy, so why go there :p

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Atm you go to these games for PVP:

EVE

WOW

DAOC

GW (not a mmorpg tbh)

SWG (Altho the PVP is abit of a mess atm so i dont reccomend joining this one)

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

The devs did not tell any details on the coming pvp so it will propably take some time till you see that.
    Right now pvp is only duels and the arena pvp which both are not very often used the first few days after expansion came out were a bit different but now you only see people dueling sometimes while they have to wait for someone.

There was also a question on boards if the new pvp system should be implemented on current servers or on new ones and majority voted for new servers, so existing characters will propably not get this unless they transfer servers.

• SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53

That's cause you also need to give people incentive to kill each other.  Human are born naturally good !!! so we need to temp them with riches/fame to get them to kill each other lol.

In EVE it's a fight for teritory, in DAOC it's a fight for power and domination, in WoW it's more of a fight for fame and to see which side is top dog.  But they all use incentive, rewards to lure you into the player vs player mode.  Once you're in then you're trap cause it's alot of fun.  Dont think EQ has anything like that.. maybe if they impliment an area where guildies can build villages or town and raid each other or something that would give people incentive to kill.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

i realize eq2 is a pve game, but i played eq1 on a pvp server for 3 years and it was a blast!

why not have a server or two for people that like open pvp? you dont have to play on that server if you dont want to.::::37::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• Originally posted by angerr

i realize eq2 is a pve game, but i played eq1 on a pvp server for 3 years and it was a blast!
    why not have a server or two for people that like open pvp? you dont have to play on that server if you dont want to.::::37::

Be completely honest with yourself for a moment.  This is SOE.  This is the company that basically destroyed SWG in the name of trying desperately to increase market share.  This is the company that can't figure out what it wants to do with EQ2. 

Do you really trust them to put in something as huge as PvP into a PvE game and not turn it into a complete disaster?

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Aildrik

Be completely honest with yourself for a moment.  This is SOE.  This is the company that basically destroyed SWG in the name of trying desperately to increase market share.  This is the company that can't figure out what it wants to do with EQ2. 
    Do you really trust them to put in something as huge as PvP into a PvE game and not turn it into a complete disaster?

Be honest with yourself for a moment. You have your own motives for posting about SOE. You want everyone to hate them like you. Saying completely subjective things like "They destroyed SWG" when I and a great many other players think the change was needed and a huge improvement over the old combat system of target and eat nachos while pressing a single attack.

Yes I trust them to make it fun. Can't wait for PvP servers in EQ2.image

• Kane_HartKane_Hart Member Posts: 19

Um sonys getting ready for pvp.

Don't have to get shards anymore...
    players run 25% faster
    Invis/stealth does not slow people down...

all I can say is pvp coming!

• Originally posted by anarchyart

Be honest with yourself for a moment. You have your own motives for posting about SOE. You want everyone to hate them like you. Saying completely subjective things like "They destroyed SWG" when I and a great many other players think the change was needed and a huge improvement over the old combat system of target and eat nachos while pressing a single attack.
    Yes I trust them to make it fun. Can't wait for PvP servers in EQ2.image

Haha, my point had nothing to do with how much you enjoy SWG or EQ2; yes, we know you are an SOE fanboi we get the point :)

You can't refute the fact that SOE would find a way to screw up any implentation of PVP simply because of their disastrous track-record with adding things.. heck, just getting their games to market.