Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help

I've decided to start playing DAOC again.   I played for a very short time a few years ago and I want to start playing again.   I know basically nothngabout the game, I only played for about a week.  I Love the RPG aspect of games and I most enjoybeing sneaky in PVP  modes.  I like hitting players with long range weapons while hiding and/or sneaking up on them ans robbing their gold.   Can you do these things in DAOC?   out of these classes which one is the most fun: Infiltrator, scout, nightshade, Ranger, Shadowblade.  I know they are different types but If robbing other players is not possible or justtoo difficult in this game I'd like long range attacks.  I am much more interested in PVP than PVE.........any advice would be appreciated 

Comments

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

If you are not planning to start on one of the "classic" servers (which wont be available in europe until december 8) you will need a buffbot - a second account. Without one you wont be able to compete as a stealther.

If you are planning to play on a classic server (without the trials of atlantis - zone and a buff bot restriction) you will most likely have the most fun with a ranger, because this is the only char so far that has decent self-buffs.

If you are willing to pay for two accounts you can play anything but shadowblade (kinda gimped class). Nightshades are pretty good assassins - Infiltrators are even dealing a bot more dmg, if I recall it correctly. Both are cpure melee classes so if you prefer ranged combat I would suggest a scout.

However, you can not steal anything in DAoC beause it has a protective PvP System where you will not lose anything if you die. The reason is basically that the PvE part - your equipment - has a very huge impact on your competibily in PvP. Loosing on of your items could mean weeks of PvE to get a new one. It also ensures that everyone can enjoy the PvP without having to fear to be farmed by hardcore players and loose all his stuff. Some people would call it carebear, but those are usually people who should rather look for some worthwhile goals in their real life instead of insulting people who just want to have some fun ^^

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Being an assassin is hard. I am just warning you. They used to be the funnest game out there, but sadly Mythic has ruined the classes. Here is what I mean:

1. ToA added something called brittle guards. They always absorb a hit. Casters get those so it makes it nearly impossible when they have like 4 of them to break all of the guards and then kill the caster before the caster kills you, or someone else comes up and kills you.

2. They added an ability called Master of Stealth. Archers can now see assassins. In fact high realm rank archers will get their MoS so high they can see and kill an assassin easily before the assassin can even get close enough.

3. By allowing buffbots many people started running a second account. This account fully buffs the assassin. So now because of #1 and #2 assassins simply hunt other assassins and mostly go after those without buffbots or artifacts because they are easy kill.

Not knocking DAOC here, just saying they made a major Fubar that has really ruined assassins as a viable character class after level 45. They are a huge amount of fun in the battlegrounds, but not in the front. Maybe they will get around to fixing assassin classes.

So what you should play is a Ranger. It doesn't matter if it is regular or classic. You have the farthest reach in the game with your bow. You will be able to shoot and hit from a place that a caster won't be able to cast back at you. You can train MoS high enough so that you can kill assassins even fully buffbotted way before they can get to you.

• ArghosODFArghosODF Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by JulianDracos

So what you should play is a Ranger. It doesn't matter if it is regular or classic. You have the farthest reach in the game with your bow. You will be able to shoot and hit from a place that a caster won't be able to cast back at you. You can train MoS high enough so that you can kill assassins even fully buffbotted way before they can get to you.

Small correction here....Albion Scouts have the longest range in the game, I believe their max unmodified range is 2200 units while a ranger's is only 2100...not sure if those are the correct numbers, but scouts having the best range I AM sure about....especially when my level 50 ranger gets killed on top of towers by scouts (EDIT : scouts on the ground that is) when there's no way I could hit them if the positions were reversed image.

You are right Scouts do have the longest range. Maybe it was my subconscious trying to make sure there are no more albion scounts. I hate them so much. I made a NS just to go kill them and just when I get to 50 they make sure I can't:( Well at least too often that is. I took a few out in a keep battle a few days ago:) They seem to think that I won't get my self killing just to make sure that I gut them like a fish. Silly albs don't seen to realize that after 4 years I really hate them ;)

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Slug75
    I've decided to start playing DAOC again. I played for a very short time a few years ago and I want to start playing again. I know basically nothngabout the game, I only played for about a week. I Love the RPG aspect of games and I most enjoybeing sneaky in PVP modes. I like hitting players with long range weapons while hiding and/or sneaking up on them ans robbing their gold. Can you do these things in DAOC? out of these classes which one is the most fun: Infiltrator, scout, nightshade, Ranger, Shadowblade. I know they are different types but If robbing other players is not possible or justtoo difficult in this game I'd like long range attacks. I am much more interested in PVP than PVE.........any advice would be appreciated

1) Can you be sneaky archer type?: YES

2) Which is the most fun of the ones you listed? Depends on your personal taste. I prefer the Ranger or the Hunter (which you forgot in your list).

3) Advice: Start on a "Classic" server. The TOA servers suck.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Elnator
    I've decided to start playing DAOC again. I played for a very short time a few years ago and I want to start playing again. I know basically nothngabout the game, I only played for about a week. I Love the RPG aspect of games and I most enjoybeing sneaky in PVP modes. I like hitting players with long range weapons while hiding and/or sneaking up on them ans robbing their gold. Can you do these things in DAOC? out of these classes which one is the most fun: Infiltrator, scout, nightshade, Ranger, Shadowblade. I know they are different types but If robbing other players is not possible or justtoo difficult in this game I'd like long range attacks. I am much more interested in PVP than PVE.........any advice would be appreciated

2) Which is the most fun of the ones you listed? Depends on your personal taste. I prefer the Ranger or the Hunter (which you forgot in your list).

Actually I prefer Scout or Hunter over Ranger. Hunters are awesome, I loved mine while I played.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

Actually I prefer Scout or Hunter over Ranger. Hunters are awesome, I loved mine while I played.

If you want melee ability the scout is the best of the archers. If you prefer ranged damage and a bit of utility thrown in, hunter or ranger. I like hunter/ranger because both have a speed buff to get the heck out of dodge in a pinch. All 3 are good though.

Sig image Pending

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Fadeus

If you want melee ability the scout is the best of the archers. If you prefer ranged damage and a bit of utility thrown in, hunter or ranger. I like hunter/ranger because both have a speed buff to get the heck out of dodge in a pinch. All 3 are good though.

I must have seriously missed something in the game then because it always seemed to me archers owned on ranged and had to give up dual wield for it. Rangers had dual wield so they were better in melee. Hunters could spec spear and do massive damage in melee. Thats how it was when I played, you played a scout for ranged damage, not melee.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Scouts do have the best range, but with slam they can stun. Since MoS has come out my NS has a lot harder time taking out Scouts because they see me and I have to melee them and with that stun I end up dead a lot more often than before.

I dunno... for melee spec it's a hard call. Hunters if they spec right have a really nasty pet to team with.... Scouts get shield abilities so effectively a 2nd weapon and stun is a pain.... rangers get dual wield and can, conceivably, deal almost as much dmg as a Berzerker... but don't have the tanking power to stand long in a fight.

Personally in a melee fight:
    I prefer the hunter.... cuz if things get ugly you can pop sprint, get a lead then pop speed and pet and get away, kite them, or if they turn to fight the pet pump arrows into them.

Sig image Pending