Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welp... moving on to DAOC

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Tried WoW when SOE pissed me off enough to drop my AAP and was going to play it with my RL friends (who do play WoW). Can't stand this game. Partly it's the graphics. I feel like I'm playing in a bad episode of "The Hobbit" with the cartoony graphics in the game. Just doesn't feel 'real' to me.

So I picked up the 14 day trial of DAOC. Been playing all weekend and have fallen back in love with the old gem. It's improved a lot over the past 3 years as well.

Thanks for the welcome to WoW a week ago guys but the game just isn't for me. Can't get past the graphics and the lack of anything to do besides kill mobs. The Quests are pretty bad (be honest, they are) as well.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277
    DAOC is a great game, Ive been toying with the idea of going back myself..one thing that game needs though and as far as I know has not added is personal mounts.. I know they have the horse routes but they dont always go where you want them to. The PVP is great in DAOC..one thing I really miss. My computer has fallen behind the times and runs O.K. with wow but they PVP in DAOC is just too much for my machine. I will be ordering a new PC soon and may be joining back in daoc..I recommend anyone that has not tried the game to do so..especially if WOW was your first MMO.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by bukshot
    DAOC is a great game, Ive been toying with the idea of going back myself..one thing that game needs though and as far as I know has not added is personal mounts.. I know they have the horse routes but they dont always go where you want them to. The PVP is great in DAOC..one thing I really miss. My computer has fallen behind the times and runs O.K. with wow but they PVP in DAOC is just too much for my machine. I will be ordering a new PC soon and may be joining back in daoc..I recommend anyone that has not tried the game to do so..especially if WOW was your first MMO.

Personal mounts are available at level 35. Can't use them in RVR though. If you have the latest expansions you can get even better ones at level 50.

Sig image Pending

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Originally posted by Elnator
    Originally posted by bukshot

Personal mounts are available at level 35. Can't use them in RVR though. If you have the latest expansions you can get even better ones at level 50.

Actually you can get the first of the "even better" ones, the Chestnut Horse, before level 50 without having done any of the Champion Levels and all of that. It can be ridden in the frontiers and wear the armor/barding etc. :)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• AcezxAcezx Member Posts: 4

Tried WoW when SOE pissed me off enough to drop my AAP and was going to play it with my RL friends (who do play WoW). Can't stand this game. Partly it's the graphics. I feel like I'm playing in a bad episode of "The Hobbit" with the cartoony graphics in the game. Just doesn't feel 'real' to me.So I picked up the 14 day trial of DAOC. Been playing all weekend and have fallen back in love with the old gem. It's improved a lot over the past 3 years as well.Thanks for the welcome to WoW a week ago guys but the game just isn't for me. Can't get past the graphics and the lack of anything to do besides kill mobs. The Quests are pretty bad (be honest, they are) as well.
    The graphics will be like that with any card except a radion, radions are made for RPG's so yeah the gfx are alot better ive experiences this myself I have a geforce fx 5200 my bro has a radion 9700 and his wow looks better than mine. Mine is cartoonish his a realish.
  • bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277
    Sounds good! Thanks for the info..Once I get a new PC, Ill probably be back for more castle siegeing(sp?) fun!

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Sorry that WoW didn't do it for you. I keep thinking of picking up either Eve or DAoC as a 2nd mmo during the holidays.

GL!

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

Originally posted by Acezx
    Tried WoW when SOE pissed me off enough to drop my AAP and was going to play it with my RL friends (who do play WoW). Can't stand this game. Partly it's the graphics. I feel like I'm playing in a bad episode of "The Hobbit" with the cartoony graphics in the game. Just doesn't feel 'real' to me.So I picked up the 14 day trial of DAOC. Been playing all weekend and have fallen back in love with the old gem. It's improved a lot over the past 3 years as well.Thanks for the welcome to WoW a week ago guys but the game just isn't for me. Can't get past the graphics and the lack of anything to do besides kill mobs. The Quests are pretty bad (be honest, they are) as well.
    The graphics will be like that with any card except a radion, radions are made for RPG's so yeah the gfx are alot better ive experiences this myself I have a geforce fx 5200 my bro has a radion 9700 and his wow looks better than mine. Mine is cartoonish his a realish.

Um no, sorry. I have a GeForce 6800GT and it blows away my friend's Radeon 9800, even in WoW. And I still think the graphics are cartoony, both on his PC and on mine. We both play with the graphics maxed out. The character graphics just pull me completely out of any immersion. I can't get into them.

Sig image Pending

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I don't think it matters what level of graphics card you have, WoW was never designed to look realistic. The graphics in WoW are stylized (or even branded) to look like the previous games.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

:)

this is a classical example of personal taste. I love the graphic of wow exactly because it is immersive. It doesn't try to emulare the real world, but is loyal to the previous games of the series and the world fell like Warcraft to me, the graphics just fit.

To each his own. DAoC remains one of my personal favorites (Ranked number 2 on my personal MMorpg list).

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

There's too many EQ2 clones out there with the plastic-like graphics. Blizzard must be commended for not focusing on mind blowing graphics, and instead, sticking with the Warcraft theme, despite what technology can do these days. People who haven't played earlier Warcraft games, just won't understand it.

DAOC is a great game, I've played it on and off for over 3years, but it's somewhat spoilt in the graphics department. Certains zones have been updated with the new graphics engine, while most older zones looks really rubbish, like Shrouded Isles zones. It makes DAOC look rather crap, overall. I was rather disapointed with it's last expansion pack, Darkness Rising, it didn't add that much to the game, and it shows Mythic are now pumping less resources into DAOC, now that Warhammer Online is on the horizon...That really put me off DAOC, knowing my subscription wouldn't fully go towards further development of DAOC with new content.

• AcezxAcezx Member Posts: 4
    well that sucks cos I also have a friend who has a 6800GT and his gfx looked the same as mine he sold it and got a radeon has his gfx settings all the way up in-game and his wow looks great.
  • RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Originally posted by tachgb
    DAOC is a great game, I've played it on and off for over 3years, but it's somewhat spoilt in the graphics department. Certains zones have been updated with the new graphics engine, while most older zones looks really rubbish, like Shrouded Isles zones. It makes DAOC look rather crap, overall. I was rather disapointed with it's last expansion pack, Darkness Rising, it didn't add that much to the game, and it shows Mythic are now pumping less resources into DAOC, now that Warhammer Online is on the horizon...That really put me off DAOC, knowing my subscription wouldn't fully go towards further development of DAOC with new content.

Actually the recent Darkness Rising expansion had absolutely nothing to do with the Warhammer Team. If anything the DAoC team has grown in size since Warhammer's announcement, not shrunk. Warhammer and DAoC are 2 seperate teams, working on completely seperate floors of the Mythic building. There are no shared resources (meaning team members, not such things as internet connection or power etc :P)

As for the size of the expansion there are several reasons for it:

• We felt the world was large enough and we really didn't need to add more zones at this time.
    • For the time being there are enough races and classes in the game.
    • This was our first digitally transferred (downloadable) expansion so we wanted to keep the size a little smaller.
    • The majority of the features in the expansion came directly from player feedback.
    • The expansion was also a lot cheaper than typical expansion because of the smaller size (half the price actually).

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

Originally posted by Volkmar
    :)
    this is a classical example of personal taste. I love the graphic of wow exactly because it is immersive. It doesn't try to emulare the real world, but is loyal to the previous games of the series and the world fell like Warcraft to me, the graphics just fit.
    To each his own. DAoC remains one of my personal favorites (Ranked number 2 on my personal MMorpg list).

YUP never said it was a rule or law. Just saying I can't get into them. I prefer more realistic graphics. I never liked the graphics in the original warcraft games either.

Sig image Pending

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Originally posted by Acezx

Tried WoW when SOE pissed me off enough to drop my AAP and was going to play it with my RL friends (who do play WoW). Can't stand this game. Partly it's the graphics. I feel like I'm playing in a bad episode of "The Hobbit" with the cartoony graphics in the game. Just doesn't feel 'real' to me.

So I picked up the 14 day trial of DAOC. Been playing all weekend and have fallen back in love with the old gem. It's improved a lot over the past 3 years as well.
    Thanks for the welcome to WoW a week ago guys but the game just isn't for me. Can't get past the graphics and the lack of anything to do besides kill mobs. The Quests are pretty bad (be honest, they are) as well.

lmfao!! radeons are made for RPGs???? i'm pretty much an nvidia guy but please, get some knowledge before you make comments...

lol, radeons are for rpgs...lol.....

Originally posted by Kunou
    Originally posted by tachgb

Actually the recent Darkness Rising expansion had absolutely nothing to do with the Warhammer Team. If anything the DAoC team has grown in size since Warhammer's announcement, not shrunk. Warhammer and DAoC are 2 seperate teams, working on completely seperate floors of the Mythic building. There are no shared resources (meaning team members, not such things as internet connection or power etc :P)

As for the size of the expansion there are several reasons for it:

• We felt the world was large enough and we really didn't need to add more zones at this time.
    • For the time being there are enough races and classes in the game.
    • This was our first digitally transferred (downloadable) expansion so we wanted to keep the size a little smaller.
    • The majority of the features in the expansion came directly from player feedback.
    • The expansion was also a lot cheaper than typical expansion because of the smaller size (half the price actually).

AHHH a Mythic Rep speaks!!!

This is one of the things I LOVE about Mythic.... they don't beat around the bush and give you crap answers like some other *coughSOECough* producers. They tell you the truth up front and bluntly. I've always respected that.

In 10 days or so I'll be re-subscribing to DAOC... currently on a 14 day trial. I just wish I could remember my old account name so I could call CS and get my account back. LOL. Sad really... I remember my secret word... just not my account name.... and my CD's vanished years ago (think the wife torched em, actually :))

Sig image Pending