Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fellow Privateer Fans.... Check this out...

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Hey gang,

If you don't know about it the developers of this website have been quietly working on a Windows port of Privateer for a couple years now. They've released the "gold" version of the game and it's available for download.

If, like me, you loved the original Privateer. This sucker is definitely worth grabbing. It's not "perfect" but it's very very close to the original privateer and is a lot of fun.

If you don't know what privateer is it's basically the game that inspired games like EVE, Freelancer, Jumpgate and others. It was originally inspired by Elite and Frontier but set in the Wing Commander universe.

Enjoy!!!

Privateer for Windows Port

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

1.) Well, I for my part knew of the new version of privateer.
    2.) It still needs serious work.
    3.) I *loved* Privateer
    4.) What does this have to do with EVE?

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Azirophos
    1.) Well, I for my part knew of the new version of privateer.
    2.) It still needs serious work.
    3.) I *loved* Privateer
    4.) What does this have to do with EVE?

1,2,3: I agree

As to number 4:
    EVE is based, partially, upon the concepts in Privateer (and Elite, before it). Thus I figured there'd be plenty of EVE players who would be interested so I thought I'd share with the folks most likely to be interested.

I stumbled across the site by accident a few months ago and just noticed that they released a new version in late October last night. It's MUCH better than the "privateer remake". The new version is "Privateer Gemini Gold". And it's a lot more like the original game. Still not 'perfect' but it's a lot more solid than the other one. And very playable. Also they're putting out a patch sometime in the next several days according to a recent update on the site.

Sig image Pending

Seriously m8, I don't wanna be an arse, but if everyone would post about games that EVE is (might be) based upon, then we would barely be able to find the EVE relevant threads here.

Plus there might be people who don't like EVE, but do like Privateer, which is why it would be better placed in general discussion.

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

Whatevah
    If the mods don't like it here they'll kill it or move it. I could care less. Was just trying to share some info with folks who would be interested.

Guess it goes to show that I should just be an ass and not share information. Because being nice gets you nothing but flamed on these boards anymore.

Sig image Pending

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Jumpgate rocked! I never messed with privateer but have heard about it, thanks El.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Sharing information is always a good thing to do, but did I really flame you? I just stated a potential problem (cluttering of this section of the forum). If you take that as a personal attack.... well that is your pregorative, but it was not intended that way. On the contrary, I even tried to tell you that by placing it in the general discussion section you would reach even more people with this piece of information.

• dopefish18dopefish18 Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Azirophos

Sharing information is always a good thing to do, but did I really flame you? I just stated a potential problem (cluttering of this section of the forum). If you take that as a personal attack.... well that is your pregorative, but it was not intended that way. On the contrary, I even tried to tell you that by placing it in the general discussion section you would reach even more people with this piece of information.

ur definitely right..if he really wants to share it to a lot of players then he shouldnt posted it here coz only EVE players would definitely the ones who will know about his information.his target readers are limited.and one thing more there are really players who like privateer but hated EVE.like me i really dont play privateer nad i will never but i do love EVE.

dont u dare start playing MMORPG unless u want to be hooked

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Unbelivable.

EVE fans, veterans - Being so stupid? Not only stupid not to know EVE is based upon ELITE and Privateer.
    But even more stupid to flame the one who wrote it?!

Hehehehe. Sad but funny....

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Originally posted by Rattrap
    Unbelivable.EVE fans, veterans - Being so stupid? Not only stupid not to know EVE is based upon ELITE and Privateer.
    But even more stupid to flame the one who wrote it?!Hehehehe. Sad but funny....

The word flame is all to easily used these days - nobody flamed Elnator. And being insulting to anyone doesn't make your point more true.

Just a point of fact:
    I *never* originate threads in the general forums. If one of you feels this would be better posted there then get a mod to move it or post it yourselves. I post in the forums I frequent:
    EVE, DAOC, EQ2 and SWG

I rarely post in the general forums and, typically, only to enter a discussion already under way. I never originate one there because it's just a giant flame fest and not worth my time.

Like I said. I was just sharing information. I also posted it in the SWG forums ;) Oddly, nobody there complained about me posting it there instead of in the GD forum.

Sig image Pending

• dopefish18dopefish18 Member Posts: 163
    ok fine then stay on GD forum if u want. we are just stating our opinions that it would be better if u posted it on general discussion instead on EVE forum.

dont u dare start playing MMORPG unless u want to be hooked