Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online

2»

Comments

• SpaceRoySpaceRoy Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Eyes
    I think EVE is the revolutionary MMORPG of our time.  Frankly its changed the way MMORPGs are seen, what do you think?

I played eve for 3 months. It has great atmosphere and pvp was fun, but some things made me never want to play it again.

Interface is a mess. A well developed game should not have an interface to speak of, no matter how much functionality it has. I want advanced interface, not complicated. This put tremendous amount of pressure on the developers, I know, I'm a programmer too, but I am sure we will see less messy interfaces in the future games.

Advancement system. Timebased? this is the most important reason why I quit. I know people say that this is a way to make it more available to casual gamers, and prevent grind. But I want a bigger reward for the time I spend in a game than I get in EVE. Most people don't seem to understand that the journey is the goal. They just want to be BIG. Nothing is free! You have to earn it! Something given won't teach you anything. Nice to zzZzzZZZzzzzZ your way to the endboss without even seeing the rest?? And if a game feels like grind then the developers have failed to make a good game. It should be fun to do the missions or whatever you are faced with.

• hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by SpaceRoy

if a game feels like grind then the developers have failed to make a good game. It should be fun to do the missions or whatever you are faced with.

And this, IMHO, is why WoW (and NOT EVE) is the "revolutionary" game of our time.

I really don't care if a couple of thousand (ok 70,000) EVE players will laugh at me for playing WoW (I don't currently, but I did), cause there's 4,000,000 WoW players laughing on my side with me...and if we all came in to EVE at the same time and zerg-rushed you with our puny starter ships...we may even JUST win...though I doubt it, cause with skills that accumulate in real time, without having to be in-game, old-time EVEers will never be catchable...maybe that's why some of you SEEM so darn elitist.

OK...that's it...my last jibe at EVE on these forums.  People can try it for themselves...there is a trial (and the box is free)...I don't hate it...it's just not for me.

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by hadz

Originally posted by SpaceRoy

if a game feels like grind then the developers have failed to make a good game. It should be fun to do the missions or whatever you are faced with.

And this, IMHO, is why WoW (and NOT EVE) is the "revolutionary" game of our time.

Games like Daoc were there before wow and shadowbane had easier level grind than wow. WoW isnt revolutionary, but recycling old. To be revolutionary it should be more unique, but it really wasnt any special when I played it. Same old grinding done bit faster than in daoc.

If you thought WoW was a grind then, to quote an expression favored by EVE players, "you were playing it wrong".  The quests are WAY better than any other MMOG I've played, and give far, far more experience when compared to kills; calling it a grind is quite inaccurate.  (And I'm not talking about the after level 60 "grind"...cause that isn't really game related, it's "min/max" related)

And it IS revolutionary because no other MMOG has brought 4 million people together in one game!  Now, I'm not saying it's revolutionary in a good way, but to bring that many people in it MUST be doing something different, ie. revolutionary (and people-drawing-wise, not just different but better...way better).

Eh...it was simple, but fun.  Kept me occupied for a while, certainly not the be all and end all...but dang-it...it must be doing something right.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

4 million people on 100000000 servers :-P

this i beieve has divided the community of WoW too much, i had 3 friends on 3 different servers and they were unwilling to move to one sever where we could all play, they had grinded too far to give it up. you didnt get this kind of problem in some other mmorpgs ive been. Sorry i am abit anti-wow but i find the quests(from my point of view) just grind thats hidden in the background, your still spending countless hours to reach a level to do any fun stuff(past lvl30) or pvp(which i hear has gone down the toilet now because of the Battlegronds). I agree Eve is abit too slow for some of us here but they've got the right idea!. I think Shadowbane almost has a UO/Eve style itself, the world is molded by the players not by a company.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    EVE is far overated. sure its "not a game for everyone" but eve need improvement. right now, its just plain boring. it could be SOOO much more. the PvE combat for example. you fly in a space ship with awesome weapons, then WHY does it need to be the boring point and click combat? why not real fights like in space offline games's ship fights? aka Starwars style (not SWG).or pvp. why not awesome dogfights, like controlling your ship from the cocpit instead of this 3rd person point and click?  the mining and trading system is boring. imo, if you play to be the No.1 in trading and mining, then go play a browser mud. they offer the same, because right now your just paying for a really fancy chatroom.and why does months  of work has to be lost just because one guy thought it be funny to blow up your ship? (yes i call it work, i didn't enjoy the game for one moment) EVE gets a big NO from me untill they make the game more exciting to play.
  • MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

Yeah your absolutely right, it needs flight combat like SWG or something. So players "feel" they're part of the battle as they dodge turret fire from big battleships etc.

Originally posted by Marku

4 million people on 100000000 servers :-P
    this i beieve has divided the community of WoW too much, i had 3 friends on 3 different servers and they were unwilling to move to one sever where we could all play, they had grinded too far to give it up. you didnt get this kind of problem in some other mmorpgs ive been. Sorry i am abit anti-wow but i find the quests(from my point of view) just grind thats hidden in the background, your still spending countless hours to reach a level to do any fun stuff(past lvl30) or pvp(which i hear has gone down the toilet now because of the Battlegronds). I agree Eve is abit too slow for some of us here but they've got the right idea!. I think Shadowbane almost has a UO/Eve style itself, the world is molded by the players not by a company.

You didn't get that in other MMORPGs of the past because...no one played them!  Well, in comparison to 4 mil. it was "no one".  You can't expect that they could cram 4 mil. on one server in a game like WoW, even with tech a number of years in the future they won't be able to do that, at least not with a game like WoW.  (Now, massively instanced games are a different story...and this is why I think GW is the other "revolutionary" game of the genre, because a lot of games will use its methods in the future)

And if you happen to have friends playing a MMORPG and you didn't organise before-hand which server you were all going to play on, then even in a MMORPG with only 2 or 3 servers, you've still got a high likelihood of being on a different one.

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

I really don't care if a couple of thousand (ok 70,000) EVE players will laugh at me for playing WoW (I don't currently, but I did), cause there's 4,000,000 WoW players laughing on my side with me...

hehe...I call this the "Deer Hunter" arguement.

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Originally posted by Cerrian
    I really don't care if a couple of thousand (ok 70,000) EVE players will laugh at me for playing WoW (I don't currently, but I did), cause there's 4,000,000 WoW players laughing on my side with me...

Yeah I don't get that either. There's more chinese than any other nation on earth - apparently they must be right.

Originally posted by magik_fx

Originally posted by Cerrian

Yeah I don't get that either. There's more chinese than any other nation on earth - apparently they must be right.

Brilliant conclusion but fatally flawed, the 4 mil. WoW subbers have CHOSEN to play WoW, no one can choose their race.

Plus, that wasn't an argument...I was merely saying I don't care if a couple of thousand people from one MMO community laugh at me for playing WoW...the rest of my ACTUAL argument has never even been touched by EVE lovers, all they do is make fun of people who don't like EVE. (Thus the inspiration for this comment)

Originally posted by magik_fx Originally posted by Cerrian
    Originally posted by hadzI really don't care if a couple of thousand (ok 70,000) EVE players will laugh at me for playing WoW (I don't currently, but I did), cause there's 4,000,000 WoW players laughing on my side with me...hehe...I call this the "Deer Hunter" arguement.Yeah I don't get that either. There's more chinese than any other nation on earth - apparently they must be right.
    Brilliant conclusion but fatally flawed, the 4 mil. WoW subbers have CHOSEN to play WoW, no one can choose their race.
    Plus, that wasn't an argument...I was merely saying I don't care if a couple of thousand people from one MMO community laugh at me for playing WoW...the rest of my ACTUAL argument has never even been touched by EVE lovers, all they do is make fun of people who don't like EVE. (Thus the inspiration for this comment)

I wasn't stating that about their race. I was stating that if they all come to one conclusion, no matter what it is they must be right, because there is more of them. If they all decided that communism was the perfect government system, they would be right... correct? Or if they all said the world was flat, they must be right because there are more of them.

What I'm saying is, the argument that you don't care what anyone else says because there's 4 million people playing is a silly argument, you should not care because you enjoy it. Not because the people in your game outnumber the people in another game.

Let's broaden it out. There are more people that DON'T play mmo's. They must be right, because there is more of them.

"I really don't care if a couple of million (ok 6-8 million) MMO players will laugh at me for not playing MMO's, cause there's 8,000,000,000 non-mmo players laughing on my side with me..."

What I'm saying is, the argument that you don't care what anyone else says because there's 4 million people playing is a silly argument, you should not care because you enjoy it. Not because the people in your game outnumber the people in another game.

Second time I have to say it...it WASN'T my argument!

My argument is made in MANY other places in this thread...none of which have been answered.  It was a joke in response to the poster who said I could play WoW if I wanted to but everyone playing EVE would laugh at me.  I think somewhere else, in this very thread maybe, I already said that numbers/majority don't make you right...so it's NOT something I'd ever use as an argument. OK...done?

(And PS...you didn't say if all Chinese came to the same conclusion...you just said Chinese)

Originally posted by magik_fx What I'm saying is, the argument that you don't care what anyone else says because there's 4 million people playing is a silly argument, you should not care because you enjoy it. Not because the people in your game outnumber the people in another game.
    Second time I have to say it...it WASN'T my argument!
    My argument is made in MANY other places in this thread...none of which have been answered. It was a joke in response to the poster who said I could play WoW if I wanted to but everyone playing EVE would laugh at me. I think somewhere else, in this very thread maybe, I already said that numbers/majority don't make you right...so it's NOT something I'd ever use as an argument. OK...done?
    (And PS...you didn't say if all Chinese came to the same conclusion...you just said Chinese)

I know it wasn't your argument, but you picked it up a while back and I just went with it. Anyways, yes... saying you like the game because 4 million others do sounds like someone is trying to convince themselves they're with the "in crowd", and people who play games with only 70,000 accounts is not as cool or "popular"... so they must.. be... umm... stupid nerds!!!

Anyways, carry on.

I know it wasn't your argument, but you picked it up a while back and I just went with it. Anyways, yes... saying you like the game because 4 million others do sounds like someone is trying to convince themselves they're with the "in crowd", and people who play games with only 70,000 accounts is not as cool or "popular"... so they must.. be... umm... stupid nerds!!!
    Anyways, carry on.

Also...never said I liked the game because 4 million others did either...

I like WoW because it is currently the BEST MMO on the market...by far...IMHO.

(And PS...it's not me calling EVE players names...I think you'll find, if you read this thread properly, that's the other way around)

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

I've considered playing Eve, but a lot of my friends who have played it said that it's really boring.

One said you could auto-pilot through a lot of the game.  I used to actually watch one of my friends  log on, set skill to learn, log off, and that was it.  That was his Eve for the week.  It really scared me away from the game.

I'd love a REALLY good space MMO.  Like SWG's twitch combat.  The way you can focus on certain areas like shields, weapons, armor ect, and then you have to aim your weapon.  You don't just auto-target.  I think it'd make for a great space sim.  Just my opinion.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

I think ur outa ur mind lol im not a fan of EvE at all :P

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by ZivaDomini

I'd love a REALLY good space MMO. Like SWG's twitch combat. The way you can focus on certain areas like shields, weapons, armor ect, and then you have to aim your weapon. You don't just auto-target. I think it'd make for a great space sim. Just my opinion.

For some reason there are a number of myths that refuse to be stamped out...they're like cockroaches at times. The point-click auto-targeting issues is one of them.

I'm a bit lazy right now to go into a full description of the complexity of EVE's combat system. Instead I'm just going to post a link to a few videos that demonstrate the tactical depth of EVE's combat system.

Fleet battle:
    http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/e-r/Battle_of_E02.wmv

Squad battle:
    http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/-SHOP-/bust_YMcamp.avi

One of these vids requires the xvid codec to view.

The reason I posted the squad battle vid is that it includes a recording of their TeamSpeak server plus it show a battleship pilot managing no less that 8 different systems while in the midst of combat which looks to have lasted 2 mins 30 secs. At one point the pilot engages 4 seperate targets simutaneously.

To say that the combat system in EVE is too simplified and is a mundane point-click system grossly misrepresents the strategic and tactical complexity demonstrated by EVE and sought by many mmo players.