Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

May get flamed but now is probably the best time to try EQ2

2»

Comments

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I did try to go back to EQ2 myself, guess I taken in by all the "look at everything we've done!" marketing, yup they got my $20.00 one more time :).

Anywhoo, I found the game just as boring as it was before I left, although with some half baked but decent improvments. My lvl 50 Warden was still there, missed her a tad, although every single person in my friends list was no where to be seen for the entire month I was there, guild had gone and I had to catch up on a few months of "Quitting EQ2, miss and love you all" email's. Sad start but meh, life goes on.

First thing I noticed was the population was very sparse compared to what the average was say, 6 months ago, mind you this is guestimation that I'm doing here, no way am I saying there are less people playing the game, it just certainly felt much more empty to me.

Few things I did like from the changes, combat was opened up so now as a healer I didn't have to just sit there and watch a lonely soul be butchered because we didn't happen to be in a group together, although many don't seem to enoy them I did like the class changes although my poor Warden was religated to a second string healer when at one time I was simply the best to have around. But thats ok, back up healing is just as proud a profession as any I suppose.

Performance seemed to have gotten better too, I never really had to worry to much as my computer has always been pretty up to date and strong enough to handle just about anything but things seemed smoother this time around, I even managed to jump up the settings to near max on a few parts with little to no hit on the frames, that was fun.

Additional content was boring, the expansion pack (yup forked out for that too) is just about as dull as it gets and way overpriced but thats just me, being a student I have to penny pinch and all that, maybe I'm just becoming frugal. PvP is well, mediocre at best, I had some fun dueling even though I hardly ever won, mind you thats really nothing new as I've never been very good at pvp in any game, but I do try :).

But again, only end game content that really exists is raid for gear, then raid for some more gear and then raid some more. Sure it's fun the first 50 times, little tedious but still enjoyable between 50 and 100 but after that... well what impact have you had ? Did you do anything that deserves merit ? Did you afect the world in any way ? nope sorry you did not, you wont and you will not. Anyways, all this just added to boredome, more of the same from the dev's at the EQ2 team and wasn't enough to keep me interested for anymore then that one extra month.

But I would agree, if anyone has left more then 3 months ago or more and your thinking of comming back to EQ2, give it a shot, maybe what's there is enough to hold you in this time around.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by pablo0713

Um, do you even play WoW? Many people group in WoW. In fact, it is required. WoW has two quest types. Regular and Elite. ANYONE can solo level to 60 doing nothing but regular quests. Hats off to WoW for this!!! Elite quests, while some are soloable, especially once you've reached 5-10 levels above a particular elite quest , require groups. If you want to finish those quests while mobs still give exp., you have to group. And what about instances? Every instance requires a group, and there are at least 1-2 instances per 10 levels in WoW. So please, understand, Blizzard gives people a choice. YOu can solo, or you can group. It is your choice, not the choice of the developer.

If grouping holds no advantage why do it? If I can max out my character without groups, then why do I need them there at all? Sure I have the option to group, but there is no REASON to group. This leads to less people wanting to group. If you like that in a game, well good on you. I, meaning me, meaning in my opinion, you are paying for a game for no reason. The reason I pay for a game is for the ability to have others playing with me. Other players that I will need to associate with. That's why I play an MMO (again I'm only talking about ME here) if I can reach max level without ever needing anyone else, then I'm wasting my money paying for those other people to be there.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Niber
    Originally posted by Elnator
    Take your WoW fanboi posts and keep them in your own forum please. It's not like I posted this in the WoW forum you loser.
    Wow, way to use the "default", omgzor you must be a WoW fanboy. For the record, someone asked me to compare EQ2 to "other MMOs" so that's what I did. As posted previously, I'm not a WoW fanboy, I've played EQ2 longer than most people. So much for civil conversations, I can see responding to you was a mistake.
    EDIT: Wow, I missed the troll sterotype too! You're quite a guy!
    Second,
    Lastly: This wasn't a thread started to compare EQ2 to WoW it was merely a post ***in the EQ2, not WOW*** forum that was saying that if you're looking to try EQ2 now is probably the best time to do so since you can get it digitally for $19.95 and they provide a link to it from the official site so it's easy to find.
    If this was a thread ment to show people the "new" digital download you shouldn't have implied things were fixed when they aren't. I have no problem with anyone enjoying EQ2. I know I did at times but I don't think its right to tell people fairytales and leave out any objectivity.

They ARE fixed
    There WAS no PVP at release: NOW THERE IS
    There was Little to no Class Diversity (in my, and many others, opinion) at release: NOW THERE IS
    It was very difficult, if not downright impossible for some, to solo at release: NOW IT IS
    It WAS $50 to buy at release: Now it's $19.95 AND you can download it.

What about my post is false? Please enlighten me?

You saw the post and LOOKED for something to argue about. You didn't just read it for what it was: The pointing out that many of the issues that people complained about most have been addressed. No, PVP isn't perfect. But it IS there. And you CAN enjoy it. No, Solo isn't PERFECT but it is playable, it is fun and, personally, I like it better than WoW's solo game. No, class diversity isn't as cool as it could be but they DID address the most glaring problems and the classes ARE now more diverse than before. They don't feel as 'cookie cutter' as they did before.

It WAS $50 (which is way too damn much imo) and IS now $20

I posted simple statements of fact. The fact that you decided that you must flame me for that makes you a troll. The fact that you decided to compare it to WoW was YOUR choice, not mine. I didn't ask for a comparison. I merely stated:

If you WANT to try EQ2 Now is the Best time to do so.

I'm not forcing anyone to leave a game. I'm not even ASKING anyone to leave a game. I just pointed out that if you were curious about EQ2 now is the best time (so far) to give it a try as many of the issues that people have griped, moaned, complained and otherwise groused about have been addressed. Not perfectly, in some cases, but all of the issues I highlighted HAVE been addressed in some form or another and the game *IS* better now than at release.

I was in beta. I REFUSED to buy this when it came out. I didn't buy till just before Splitpaw came out. And even then I didn't play much. AFTER splitpaw I started playing a lot more because the game got a lot more fun for me. And now that I can fight other players if/when I so desire? The game is even better. I'll agree with ANYONE that PVP has a lot of room for improvement. But AT LEAST ITS THERE!

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• TshoberTshober Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Jodokai
    Yes it's 6 characters if you don't have the Station Pass and 10 if you do.

LoL, 6 per account and you have to pay extra to get more. Almost every other MMO on the planet (including EQ1) has an account limit at least 5 times that.

Oh well, I doubt it would have been much better than when I tried it at launch anyway. Confirms my opinion that SOE is the still the most greedy MMO publisher out there.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by Tshober

LoL, 6 per account and you have to pay extra to get more. Almost every other MMO on the planet (including EQ1) has an account limit at least 5 times that.

Oh well, I doubt it would have been much better than when I tried it at launch anyway. Confirms my opinion that SOE is the still the most greedy MMO publisher out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all  for a little SOE bashing (it's a good sport) but I'm curious, how does character slots re-inforce your oppinion that SOE is greedy. I mean if you take even the smallest amount of common sense if your an EQ2 playing using Station Pass, I don't really see how anyone wouldn't see the value thats there.

You get 4 extra character slots, future adventure packs for free, access to SWG, MxO, EQ1, EQ2, Planetside and a few others. I mean, I just don't get how paying $7.00 more a month for a slew of options (keeping in mind that this is of course optional) translates into such a greed.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Tshober

Yep they are so greedy that for an extra 7$ ($21 a month) you can play Planetside, Eq1, SWG, MxO and EQ2, plus you get the expansion packs for free (the ones that come after you sign up) and 4 extra slots. Yeah I can see your point, that is a horrible deal image
  • ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Well Elnator, I bought the game today. Not sure if I like it yet. The combat seems a tad more involving than that of other MMORPGs, the graphics are OK on my low-mid end system (AMD Athlon XP 2700, 1024RAM, ATi Radeon 9800), sound is amazing (I love classical music too), I love how everything the NPC's say is recorded. So far I've not seen anything of the depth, and I'd really like to get into crafting too (which seems pretty good).

All in all happy I tried it out. It might suck, it might not. We shall see. I hope the grouping is fun, and the community on Antonia Bayle is friendly and that there are also some Europeans on that server.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

Originally posted by Imperatorian

Well Elnator, I bought the game today. Not sure if I like it yet. The combat seems a tad more involving than that of other MMORPGs, the graphics are OK on my low-mid end system (AMD Athlon XP 2700, 1024RAM, ATi Radeon 9800), sound is amazing (I love classical music too), I love how everything the NPC's say is recorded. So far I've not seen anything of the depth, and I'd really like to get into crafting too (which seems pretty good).

All in all happy I tried it out. It might suck, it might not. We shall see. I hope the grouping is fun, and the community on Antonia Bayle is friendly and that there are also some Europeans on that server.

I just started up again today, hit lvl 5 on my lunch break. Still on the starting island.

look up Bluntforce if you want to groupimage

Current Games:

Originally posted by shae
    You get 4 extra character slots, future adventure packs for free, access to SWG, MxO, EQ1, EQ2, Planetside and a few others. I mean, I just don't get how paying $7.00 more a month for a slew of options (keeping in mind that this is of course optional) translates into such a greed.

Perhaps I did go a bit far with my greed remark. I apologize to the SOE fan-boys out there.

I have no interest in most of that stuff so I don't really see it as a benefit. Getting alot of stuff, that I had no intention of paying for anyway, for a low price is not much of a benefit. Now the adventure packs, if they are future expansions that I would really need to play the game, that I might be able to see as a benefit if I decide I like the game enough to stay around for awhile. Depends on how many such expansions there will be and on how long between each one and on their cost w/o the station pass. Might be some value there, might not.

But paying any extra $ a month for 4 extra character slots, when every other MMO on the planet gives you virtually unlimited character slots per account at no extra cost, is asking a bit much, IMO. The greed comes in by forcing someone who wants to try out all the classes to see what they like to either have to pay more money per month or delete characters to free up slots. But, like I said, I might have been too harsh in accusing SOE of being excessively greedy based on this alone. I probably should have mentioned the dozens of other things that SOE has done that lead me to that conclusion.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    It's called capitalism. If you like it, stay. If you don't like it, go. Vote with your dollars, but calling a company greedy because they charge 7 bucks so you can play all their games AND get 4 more character slots than anyone else is infantile. It's called democracy junior, welcome to life. Go collect pop cans if your short the 7 bucks.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

EQ2 is a great game.

But to me it has just the same appeal than visiting grandma does.

I am sure Grandma would love if I would settle with her and help her and everything, but it nearly a nightmare situation for me to just imagine such a scenario.  Yet, Grandma welcome me very nicely everytime I see her, but she overdo it and she don't have anything I care for over there, I could bring my computer to her home, but to get an internet access and everything would be quite some troubles...and no dsl or cable connection there.

EQ2 is to me the equivalent of Grandma in her remote backward village.  It is nice I guess, but it is not for me.  Raiding and guild dependancy are not compatible with my high individualist and grouper needs.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Please remove this mesage.

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

What raiding dependancy? And how is guild dependancy and group dependancy in conflict? There is plenty of room for greedy sods in Eq2. On the other hand, they can keep out of my server.