Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions regarding latency issues (lag) since the expansion

Is it just me or is the lag in any city enough to linkdead people? I have noticed that since the new expansion, the lag in the cities is so bad that I can't even zone into Camelot without crashing at least once. And even in open field areas, the jerking of th egame is enough to drive me nutty.

To eliminate issues on my end, I have upgraded the firmware on my router, dropped my firewall (like I need one for a game anyways), reset my NIC and my router settings to what Mythic suggested and turned off the non essential services on my box. Still lagging and still LDing. I plan to kick my RAM up an extra 256 tomorrow to put me at 784 but it's really hard for me to believe that this is the only culprit. Especially since my system ran fine prior to this upgrade. I've also virus scanned, ad scanned and defragged all 4 hard drives. My swap file is optimized and there are no other programs on the drive DAoC is on.

I have even tried the game in the resolution they recommend (800x600) but still the issue happens. I have updated my video drivers to the newest version, reinstalled direct X and made sure my OS is up to date. Anyone else having similar issues? If so, Mythic apparently is oblivious to user woes in this regard. =(

Comments

• SiphonsSiphons Member Posts: 445

daoc runs like a champ for me, but I recently just built this comp, it's got a gig of ddr-2 ram and a pci-e graphics card. But there are a lot of people crashing and/or just running the cats client.

---------------------------------------
    All you friggin suburban white kid wannabe poobutts that are in love with G-Unit are sad and pathetic. Find your own identity ::::28:: -Anarchyart

• WordaenWordaen Member Posts: 203
    It's definitely weird for me. Every other game I have played runs fine but this one is just being stupid on my box. /shrug We'll see how the additional RAM acts with it.
  • RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

There have indeed been some lag issues for some people with the new artwork in the cities. We're working to optimize it, it should definitely be better now than it was initially and we're still working on it. :)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    What happens to those of us that can't even get in the cities at all? I just started playing the epic edition and it's the first day of playing and I can't even get in the damn game because as soon as I went into Jordheim, I crashed ot desktop. I sent a tech support letter with dxdiag and all that but I'm appalled that I'm wasting time that I can't get back. Can't you just have an option to disable that extra art for those that can't handle it -_-

Originally posted by Kunou

There have indeed been some lag issues for some people with the new artwork in the cities. We're working to optimize it, it should definitely be better now than it was initially and we're still working on it. :)

I appreciate the response. I hope that the trend continues to clear the lag up, as it does make playing problematic. I do like the game enough to give it time and let the changes happen, I'm jsut hoping hte positive trend continues :) So far, I have had a good feeling about Mythic, especially after the horrid treatment I got form Sony (I was one of the banned folks from the SWG forums) so I'd like that feeling to continue.
  • Little-NemoLittle-Nemo Member Posts: 110
    For me I noticed that I never seem to lag anywhere else other then when I am Rvring, not a 100% sure why. Maybe for its just the amount of people and my computers specs.
    That used to be the only place I would lag myself until the expansion. For me it was the sheer numbers of ppl in a small area and the spell effects blasting off every 5 sec. I fixed mine by turning off spell effects for all but myself and turning off sounds. If you haven't tried that yet, it might help.
  • RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Yeah, RvR lag can be fierce at times. Like above suggested, turning off spell effects and names and such helps. Basically it is caused by the massive flow of information back and forth from server to client. Where everyone is in relation to everyone else, spells being cast, damage being done, damage being taken, hits, misses, movement, etc.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

In a very small way, lag out in the front can be your friend. If you come up on a large group of people your computer will go to your HD and load up a lot of info. You will have a little "lag" although it won't show up on your lag meter. It lasts a second or two and is a great way to know if there are a large group of people up ahead.