Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 is silently taking over!

Comments

• GradetGradet Member UncommonPosts: 17
    EQ2... Fun... One Sentance... not possible.  If you want a game that ACTUALLY adds content to everyone, play Asherons Call 1.. By far superior then EQ2. I feel a flame coming on about AC1 graphics... Graphics can really ruin a game, take EQ2 for example, They worked so much on EQ2 graphics, they actually had to go back into the content before release and change it because it was so identical to the first Everquest, which it slowly is turning into exactly the same game with with new graphics!!! Wow im so amazed, take a Peice of poo game thats 8-bit graphics and slap new graphic engine on it making it look amazing... sadly everyone would go buy it cause it loosk visualy good, same as shoes... people go to footlocker and pay 60 bucks for shoes, or you can go to wal-mart and get the same shoe for 15 bucks.

Dur
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Gradet
    EQ2... Fun... One Sentance... not possible.  If you want a game that ACTUALLY adds content to everyone, play Asherons Call 1.. By far superior then EQ2. I feel a flame coming on about AC1 graphics... Graphics can really ruin a game, take EQ2 for example, They worked so much on EQ2 graphics, they actually had to go back into the content before release and change it because it was so identical to the first Everquest, which it slowly is turning into exactly the same game with with new graphics!!! Wow im so amazed, take a Peice of poo game thats 8-bit graphics and slap new graphic engine on it making it look amazing... sadly everyone would go buy it cause it loosk visualy good, same as shoes... people go to footlocker and pay 60 bucks for shoes, or you can go to wal-mart and get the same shoe for 15 bucks.

Dur

While your entire post is discounted by calling Everquest, the granddaddy of all 3d MMORPG's a "piece of poo game", I will agree that AC1 is a great game. Everquest 2 is better all around though in my summation. Sounds like you haven't tried it lately, if ever. Give it a shot, you won't be able to go back to AC.

I recommend having a really good computer though.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Originally posted by Kem0sabe

Originally posted by anarchyart

A terrible game? It's the best game out there for your fantasy enjoyment right now; it's just dang fun too. You feeding hatred to the unknowing on these forums isn't going to work. Anyone that tries it and gives it an honest go will become hooked.
    They indeed ARE the hardest working dev team out there and it shows. If you had played since launch you would know this. Their blood sweat and tears show up in the finished product, and I wanted to point it out.
    Thanks for comin' out. BTW I have over 500 thousand subscribers to play with, but I'll miss you just the same.image

When SOE starts putting new content in the game... content that doesnt use existing art resources, reashed zones, when the "new" raid content doesnt involve using a pre existent zone and renaming it, then i will agree that they are working hard. Mind you, im talking about the content that was launched before the expansion, now to the expansion itself, it has to be one of the smalest mmorpg expansions ever launched, its content would fit more acuratly into one or 2 content patches instead of a full fledged expansion, the zones are very small and they are very very few in number, there are little to no new armor designs that players can year, and the vaunted pvp function is very weak and clunky.

When SOE starts creating original content with new art, then ill agree that they are keeping up with the competition, untill then, they are lazy screw ups trying to fix a broken piece of software.

/agree

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• GradetGradet Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Actually i have a 35 ranger when i played EQ2 at release, and tried it again 2 weeks ago on a 14 day full trial, and man its still pootastic.  A game can be the granddaddy of 3d mmo's, but it doesnt make it default as good.
  • pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by Kem0sabe Originally posted by anarchyartA terrible game? It's the best game out there for your fantasy enjoyment right now; it's just dang fun too. You feeding hatred to the unknowing on these forums isn't going to work. Anyone that tries it and gives it an honest go will become hooked.They indeed ARE the hardest working dev team out there and it shows. If you had played since launch you would know this. Their blood sweat and tears show up in the finished product, and I wanted to point it out.Thanks for comin' out. BTW I have over 500 thousand subscribers to play with, but I'll miss you just the same.image

When SOE starts putting new content in the game... content that doesnt use existing art resources, reashed zones, when the "new" raid content doesnt involve using a pre existent zone and renaming it, then i will agree that they are working hard. Mind you, im talking about the content that was launched before the expansion, now to the expansion itself, it has to be one of the smalest mmorpg expansions ever launched, its content would fit more acuratly into one or 2 content patches instead of a full fledged expansion, the zones are very small and they are very very few in number, there are little to no new armor designs that players can year, and the vaunted pvp function is very weak and clunky.
    When SOE starts creating original content with new art, then ill agree that they are keeping up with the competition, untill then, they are lazy screw ups trying to fix a broken piece of software.

Yep, good post Kemosabe.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Gradet
    Actually i have a 35 ranger when i played EQ2 at release, and tried it again 2 weeks ago on a 14 day full trial, and man its still pootastic.  A game can be the granddaddy of 3d mmo's, but it doesnt make it default as good.

Really? What server were you on and what was your character's name? Did I ever mention how much I LOVE those profiles at EQ2?
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Silently taking over what? The will to play MMOs? Sure, check my toon out if it gives you wood.

Golelorn/Highkeep

Originally posted by pirrg

Originally posted by Kem0sabe

Originally posted by anarchyartA terrible game? It's the best game out there for your fantasy enjoyment right now; it's just dang fun too. You feeding hatred to the unknowing on these forums isn't going to work. Anyone that tries it and gives it an honest go will become hooked.They indeed ARE the hardest working dev team out there and it shows. If you had played since launch you would know this. Their blood sweat and tears show up in the finished product, and I wanted to point it out.Thanks for comin' out. BTW I have over 500 thousand subscribers to play with, but I'll miss you just the same.image

Yep, good post Kemosabe.

Good post because he slags EQ2 and you hate it also? Because he says its broken and says the pvp is weak and clunky without saying a single word of why? Saying zones are few in number without naming that number? When he says they re-used art resources without saying what art resources they re-used? Saying there are little to no new armor designs without saying how many there are? Saying the expansion was too small without saying how big the download was or how big a normal patch is?

He had zero facts in that paragraph and you praise him like he's your hero. Just get over it pirrg, you hate EQ2 and you've never played it. We get it. Enough. Go talk about a game you HAVE played.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

This isnt a statement forum, its a discussion forum. The content of your post has been discussed back and forth in countless other threads. You are repeating yourself for the 100th time.This thread is nothing but an invitation to trolls and you know it. Stating that EQ2 has a rise in subscriptions without posting valid sources is just ludicrous. And to top it off you call SOE "hard working". I mean sheesh anarchyart could your intentions have been any more obvious?

Pirrg:

New York Times article in SEPTEMBER:
    EQ2 currently has 450-550,000 subscribers while WOW has roughly 4.5 million.

That's current as of September. As of MAY EQ2 had 250,000 subscribers.

So yes, it's growing.

You don't know what you're talking about and every one of your posts has proven this.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

If i had a nickle for every time that article was quoted, id be richer then a SOE dev! To be frank, a dated article from the times (note, the times is not a gaming magazine) doesnt prove very much now does it.

Dated? It's a month old. And you posting proves that you are never going to let it go. EQ2 is deep, fun and challenging and you can't afford to play so you have to return here every day and spit hate. Oh well have fun not playing any MMORPG's! image

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If i had a nickle for every time that article was quoted, id be richer then a SOE dev! To be frank, a dated article from the times (note, the times is not a gaming magazine) doesnt prove very much now does it.

Actually, most of SoE devs are underpaid.  image  Of course Johny is "overatedly" paid!  image  It really depend which dev you are looking at! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Actually, most of SoE devs are underpaid.  image  Of course Johny is "overatedly" paid!  image  It really depend which dev you are looking at! 

Johnny who? lol you have access to some paychecks you shouldn't?image

It's a month old. Please show where you think EQ2 is dying. Post an article or reference where you show their subscriber base declining within the past 2 months. Right now the NYT article is the most current listing of subscriber numbers for either WoW or EQ2. MMORPGCHART.COM hasn't posted an update since June, which covered through MAY of this year. THAT, my dear boy, is DATED information.

Since May there has been 1 minor expansion, 1 major overhaul and 1 major expansion to the game. Much of the things that were 'wrong' with the game have been corrected and people trying the game anew or retrying are liking the changes they've seen. Just because YOU have a chip on your shoulder doesn't mean the game is doing poorly.

And, frankly, I trust the New York Times a LOT more than most gaming magazines. See... the Times doesn't CARE what SOE thinks of it. Gaming rags, on the other hand, do. SOE doesn't advertize in the NYT so I trust their numbers MORE than I would any gaming mag.

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by Elnator

And, frankly, I trust the New York Times a LOT more than most gaming magazines. See... the Times doesn't CARE what SOE thinks of it. Gaming rags, on the other hand, do. SOE doesn't advertize in the NYT so I trust their numbers MORE than I would any gaming mag.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but you might as well give it up El.

He's not going to believe anything unless it says SOE is evil and the games are failing. He'll give more credibility to a WoW fan's blog than an article by a legit source like the times if the blog says what he wants to hear.

It's a month old. Please show where you think EQ2 is dying. Post an article or reference where you show their subscriber base declining within the past 2 months. Right now the NYT article is the most current listing of subscriber numbers for either WoW or EQ2. MMORPGCHART.COM hasn't posted an update since June, which covered through MAY of this year. THAT, my dear boy, is DATED information.

Since May there has been 1 minor expansion, 1 major overhaul and 1 major expansion to the game. Much of the things that were 'wrong' with the game have been corrected and people trying the game anew or retrying are liking the changes they've seen. Just because YOU have a chip on your shoulder doesn't mean the game is doing poorly.

Just for the record, I dont think ive ever said that EQ2 is dying or that its playerbase is declining.

Its just that no ammount of updates overhauls or expansions in the world will make me believe that SOE gained 250k subscribers througout the course of 4 months and didnt announce it with trumpets and banners.

Call me sceptic but doubling your playerbase in 4 months just doesnt seem very plausible to me, especially with all the negative hype surrounding EQ2 since its release failure.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

If this discussion about Everquest 2 ruling the roost like EQ 1 used to.....ain't gonna happen. Not now, not ever.  SOE blew their launch and everything they've been doing since has been damage control.  The game was beta when it was released and it was beta for 6 months after that. The biggest hyped game of my gaming 'career' turned into the biggest disappointment.  I ever upgraded my comptuer so I could play. 

If you're talking about popularity, regardless of the quality of the game compared to other games, one game in particular, has creamed this game.  Go to a game store and look at the prices of the games.  One game is close to double the other.

EQ2 had a free trial not too long after release.  Argue if you like, but a free trial is an effort to get player bases up.  Said other game has the 10 day buddy key, but I've yet to see them have a need to bump up player bases using a free trial. 

If you play EQ2 great, if you're having fun, great.  But I was reading these boards over the last few months and many excuses were being made to account for low populations: summer vacation, everyone's outside.  Its exam time so poeple aren't playing.  Everyone wants to think their game is the best and its strong and it has the most numbers. At the same time the other game has totally the opposite problems: server queues and lag due to OVER capacity.

Please face it, the era of SOE owning the most popular online MMO is over.  They had their time in the limelight, then they tried to rehash it into a sequel which is a dismal, pale comparision to the original, not even worthy to carry the name "Everquest".

Hell, said other game is a better sequel to the orignal then EQ2.  You may have fun playing the game but face it, its not the most popular and it never will again.  This is by no means an attempt to slag those that enjoy it, but SOE pissed off a lot of players like me they are never going to get back.

r.i.p. Norrath ruined by /pizza and unimaginative design.

Originally posted by Rekindle

EQ2 had a free trial not too long after release.  Argue if you like, but a free trial is an effort to get player bases up.  Said other game has the 10 day buddy key, but I've yet to see them have a need to bump up player bases using a free trial. 
    The reason they did this is the game changed radically after release. The game was not in Beta after release and had no more bugs than "the other game" it just wasn't what people wanted so they changed it.
    If you play EQ2 great, if you're having fun, great.  But I was reading these boards over the last few months and many excuses were being made to account for low populations: summer vacation, everyone's outside.  Its exam time so poeple aren't playing.  Everyone wants to think their game is the best and its strong and it has the most numbers. At the same time the other game has totally the opposite problems: server queues and lag due to OVER capacity.
    I don't know that anyone is saying it's a low population due to summer vacation or anything else, but there's something I like to bring up when people talk about the number of people playing: Led Zepplin has NEVER had a number one song, and has only had one song in the top 5, yet Brittney Spears has had 4 number one songs. 40 years later people are still listening to Led Zepplin, 5 years later no one can stand Brittney Spears.
    Please face it, the era of SOE owning the most popular online MMO is over.  They had their time in the limelight, then they tried to rehash it into a sequel which is a dismal, pale comparision to the original, not even worthy to carry the name "Everquest".
    No one is disputing this fact, but I'd also like to point out that 250k subscribers is far from a failure.
    Hell, said other game is a better sequel to the orignal then EQ2.  You may have fun playing the game but face it, its not the most popular and it never will again.  This is by no means an attempt to slag those that enjoy it, but SOE pissed off a lot of players like me they are never going to get back.
    No, no it's not. I'm only going to say that EQ1 was a challenge, the other game is most ashuredly NOT.
    To each their own, personally I think wait queues and horrid server coding damage a game much more than a command you never have use.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

"The reason they did this is the game changed radically after release. The game was not in Beta after release and had no more bugs than "the other game" it just wasn't what people wanted so they changed it."

LOL Now sir, no offense, but you're living in denial.  EQ2 was released halfbaked to compete with the release of WoW.  WoW happened to be a bit more finished when it was released indicating Blizz had the upper hand.  The 'massive' changes introducted to your game are 1> discuised content updates to their production game (Just like Battlegrounds was a 'free' update to Blizz's game 2> The changes introduced to the game were reactionairy because SOE saw how creamed they were getting.

Where do you think offline trading came from? In game emails? The loss of shared exp debt.  If sOE had their way you would give them your credit card number to buy a virtual piece of bread or enter dungeon "X".

I hate to say it but SOE is a merciless game maker with no iota of how to make MMO's.  If EQ1 hadn't already been developed by Brad McQuiad they would have never gotten it off shelves.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Lets not make any references to EQ2 vs WoW please

We have plenty of existing threads on that; no need to swerve this thread into one of those.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

LOL Now sir, no offense, but you're living in denial.  EQ2 was released halfbaked to compete with the release of WoW.  WoW happened to be a bit more finished when it was released indicating Blizz had the upper hand.  The 'massive' changes introducted to your game are 1> discuised content updates to their production game (Just like Battlegrounds was a 'free' update to Blizz's game 2> The changes introduced to the game were reactionairy because SOE saw how creamed they were getting.
    What was half baked about it? What was broken? Actually the massive changes where much more than a few new content updtates. They radically changed the way the game was played. They removed most of the interdependency and made the game MUCH more solo friendly.
    Where do you think offline trading came from? In game emails? The loss of shared exp debt.  If sOE had their way you would give them your credit card number to buy a virtual piece of bread or enter dungeon "X".
    Offline trading was being done in EQ years before WoW hit the stands, and there was email in SWG long before WoW was in development. While I agree they did change the game to be more "WoW" like trading and email aren't exactly the best examples (sorry Enigma last reference)
    I hate to say it but SOE is a merciless game maker with no iota of how to make MMO's.  If EQ1 hadn't already been developed by Brad McQuiad they would have never gotten it off shelves.
    I really think you need to try EQ2 again. If nothing else just look at the patch notes to see how much SOE has been working on the game.

If this discussion about Everquest 2 ruling the roost like EQ 1 used to.....ain't gonna happen. Not now, not ever. SOE blew their launch and everything they've been doing since has been damage control. The game was beta when it was released and it was beta for 6 months after that. The biggest hyped game of my gaming 'career' turned into the biggest disappointment. I ever upgraded my comptuer so I could play.
    If you're talking about popularity, regardless of the quality of the game compared to other games, one game in particular, has creamed this game. Go to a game store and look at the prices of the games. One game is close to double the other.
    EQ2 had a free trial not too long after release. Argue if you like, but a free trial is an effort to get player bases up. Said other game has the 10 day buddy key, but I've yet to see them have a need to bump up player bases using a free trial.
    If you play EQ2 great, if you're having fun, great. But I was reading these boards over the last few months and many excuses were being made to account for low populations: summer vacation, everyone's outside. Its exam time so poeple aren't playing. Everyone wants to think their game is the best and its strong and it has the most numbers. At the same time the other game has totally the opposite problems: server queues and lag due to OVER capacity.
    Please face it, the era of SOE owning the most popular online MMO is over. They had their time in the limelight, then they tried to rehash it into a sequel which is a dismal, pale comparision to the original, not even worthy to carry the name "Everquest".
    Hell, said other game is a better sequel to the orignal then EQ2. You may have fun playing the game but face it, its not the most popular and it never will again. This is by no means an attempt to slag those that enjoy it, but SOE pissed off a lot of players like me they are never going to get back.

:)

Never said it was more popular or would rule the roost. I believe we said it was "Growing, not dying".

As far as WoW goes? personally I could care less if it's more popular. A friend recently let me borrow his account so I could try out the "retail" version (hadn't tried WoW since Beta) and, in the 6 months since their releases, these two games have flip flopped in 'quality'.

At release WoW blew the hell out of EQ2 for quality and fun of gameplay. (I know because the BETA was better than EQ2's)

NOW: EQ2 is far superior to WoW on every category INCLUDING PVP. Asside from WOW's "PVP SERVERS" (Which EQ2 is soon to have as well) WoW's PVP is less apealing, less balanced and less fun than EQ2's.

Mind you: I didn't buy EITHER game at release so I don't have a preference here. I was actually hoping I'd LIKE WoW because I miss playing with my friend. Though he's thinking about quitting WoW and moving to EQ2 if he can convince his wife to because he thinks EQ2 is more fun too. (They can't afford 2 different games).

Sig image Pending

Just for the record, I dont think ive ever said that EQ2 is dying or that its playerbase is declining.

Its just that no ammount of updates overhauls or expansions in the world will make me believe that SOE gained 250k subscribers througout the course of 4 months and didnt announce it with trumpets and banners.

Call me sceptic but doubling your playerbase in 4 months just doesnt seem very plausible to me, especially with all the negative hype surrounding EQ2 since its release failure.

It's VERY easy for EQ2 to double it's playerbase in 4 months.

Reason: WoW is starting to get old to folks who got it at release. Only 2 of 30 people I know who bought WoW at release are still playing. MOST of them have moved on to EQ2, DAOC or EVE. (In that order)

Sig image Pending

Sorry, but EQ2 IS the BEST online fantasy MMORPG. And sadly you probably won't ever know just how much and in how many ways it has improved because of your attitude. It is not only worthy of the name Everquest, but has surpassed it in subscribership and quality.

The EQ2 of today just isn't the same game your blathering on about, sorry.

• Kem0sabeKem0sabe Member Posts: 443

Everyone is dissing wow and claiming EQ2 is the best mmorpg in the market, but everyone fails to point out where EQ2 is superior to wow? possibly in crafting, tho i doubt anyone who is hailing eq2´s crafting system as superior has ever played a high level craftsman in EQ2, then you would know how shitty the crafting system is in EQ2, nowhere near the quality of SWG´s crafting.

Player customization? WoW is much superior to EQ2 where everyone has the same armor as everyone else their level, where there is little to no diference between each tier of armors.

Quests? WoW has more quests than EQ2 and WoW´s quest chains and stories are much more enjoyable, at least they make sense in the context of the game lore, unlike Eq2´s quests, wich feel like work instead of beeing fun to do.

Size of the game world? WoW is bigger and is a seemless world, there is no loading between zones and the world geography and ecology make sense. In EQ2, there is no conection between each zone, the geography between 2 adjoining zones is diferent without any kind of transition and thats just lazy game design.

Instancing, EQ2 uses instancing for almost everything, many times it feels like your playing guildwars, WoW only uses instacing for its dungeons.

Grouping, these days its almost impossible for low level players to find good grouping oportunities, most servers have a very very low population of low level players, as everyone is higher level and dispersed all over the game world. Eq2 is sufering from the problems of AO and DAOC, the expansion in AO (shadowlands) virtualy killed grouping in the world outside it, much as desert of flames is doing, and the constant low numbers of low level players in DAOC pretty much turned off interest by new customers, as we see now in EQ2, where most low levels are alts and *twinks*

Those are my main issues with EQ2, other might disagree, but i simply cant pick up this game again.

All ur Mountain Dew is belong to me.