Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how is the combat?

stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

i'm downloading the trial version right now and i was just wondering what kind of combat this game has. Is it the generic "engage enemy - cast a skill occasionally" or is it more interactive? How balanced would you say it is? What is the PvP system like? I've heard good things about this game and just want to get a feel for fighting since i won't get to play until after work.

Make of it what you will.

Comments

• SinfulSinful Member Posts: 10

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PvP combat – “All PvP combat in Ryzom is consensual – that is you cannot be engaged in combat with another player without agreeing to it in some fashion.” Page –45 of the Ryzom manual.    Yes indeed its consensual if you want to stay in safe areas and miss completely out on new content. 

My problem with this is actually two very different issues.

1. This game has horrible player versus player mechanics.  Truthfully I doubt that this game was designed with player versus player in mind at all. 
      1. There is no Moving Combat.  All actions are you target someone to do an action and then execute that action.  Yes your reading it right you click on your opponent and that’s the only way to do a combat action.  After clicking the opponent your character will run and smack them if a fighter or cast a spell of a magic user.  There is no running to dodge missiles or to avoid area of effect damage.  Your targeted and hit or not hit simple and dumb.
      2. There are no consumables.  No potions no consumables of any type therefore you’re a high level but outnumbered your pretty much dead meat.
      3. There is not enough of a difference in levels a couple of lower levels can easily defeat the highest level player in the game if caught alone.
      4. There is no skill or tradeoffs in determining how to “build” your character.
      5. Non-combatants are a gankers paradise in this game.  Harvesters have to wear gear designed for digging and they cannot change equipment quickly therefore are a ganker’s dream come true.

1. Its not consensual if you want to be involved in the new content. 

Posted by Jessica Mulligan – “We're doing our best to avoid the "must take part in PvP to participate" syndrome. We don't much like the idea of non-consensual PvP, even sideways like that.”

Background on this comment – New patch for new content (episode 2) states we get Honor Points and these will be used in the future to buy rewards.  To get these you have to enter a Faction versus Faction area (FvF).  Essentially you can either be one of two possible factions.  It is possible to be neutral as when you start the game your neither but you cannot enter the area if your not loyal to one faction.   Lets see this Honor is supposed to be important for future content (skills? patterns? We only know its some “reward”). So basiclly this combat area is a must enter area for diggers to get your honor points. Essentially you have to choice to participate in combat or miss out on who knows how much of the game?

Moreover, you have non-combatant type of players; who have to dig in these FvF zones for future content; constantly getting ganked by combatant types because its rewarding them.  The gankers get honor points for killing helpless harvesters.  This is the biggest endorsement of non-consensual ganking any game can make.

I enjoy digging, crafting, cooperatively hunting monsters with friends; they are essentially forcing me to PvP to see this new content in episode 2 that we’ve only been waiting over a year to see.

Outposts – supposedly players were able to negotiate, take, or build massive outposts that comprised of various buildings and gave the players benefits for having control of these outposts that had to be defended.  We’re still waiting for outposts that have been promised and promised to us.

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Originally posted by Sinful

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There are no consumables.  No potions no consumables of any type therefore you’re a high level but outnumbered your pretty much dead meat.
    There is not enough of a difference in levels a couple of lower levels can easily defeat the highest level player in the game if caught alone.

A. I'd call that realistic, let's say you're with a few guild mates going through a PvP map, you find one guy which is attacking you, you are with more numbers so you think he can be killed easily. BUT NO! The guy has 200 potions so his HP never goes down and you and all of your friends killed.. FUN!

B. 100 guys against 1 guy who has a black belt, I know who's gonna win.

Games need to be realistic..

Sure I agree but come on no game lets you carry around 100 potionsimage

If they're a bunch of idiots, the black belt can win.  He can beat up the strongest of the 100 and the rest will run off in fear; or at least thats what happens in the movies image

Seriously tho If  two lower level players attack you while your out solo digging, exploring somewhere you pretty much have to run.  Thats a big difference from 100.

• Rahan01Rahan01 Member Posts: 14

Actually, potions & consommables will be available next month with the outposts..

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Originally posted by Sinful

Seriously tho If  two lower level players attack you while your out solo digging, exploring somewhere you pretty much have to run.  Thats a big difference from 100.

It's logical dude, the game hasn't been made by total idiots..image

Originally posted by TheWarc

Games need to be realistic..

No they dont image games are usuaually not realistic but fantasy image

Sims need to be realistic games can be a lot more image

Originally posted by Rahan01

Actually, potions & consommables will be available next month with the outposts..

Kind of been hearing the next month next month thing for over a year now eh image

I've given details on the PvP system in my original reply to the poster.  Its degeneratig to a pro pvp or anti pvp argument for the direction of this game.  So I wont reply anymore.  Everything I posted is true and th ere are a lot more issues with this infant stage PvP system in this game.

I'll leave you with this to think of.  Can a game truely have good  pvp put into it late its life stage? The best games with PvP put in from the start cant even get it right a lot of timesimage 

If you want more info on the issues pvp has brought to the game read the forums for yourself

http://www.ryzom.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8