Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

great on paper...horrible in reality

2»

Comments

• mugboy312mugboy312 Member Posts: 141

i smell something strousey about turkeybound.

Turkeybound posted that exact quote in another thread in the DnL forums.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

lol ya he is just another person trying to dicourage people from trying the game for themselves, acting like he knows and shit. and for that quote....if its the same one im thinking of in the other post, he got it from the dnl hype section of this website SO IT MUST BE TRUE! rofl

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Originally posted by kagda

what you also have to remember when comparing this game to others, is that its not only bigger then any other mmorpg out there, in fact none come even close to half the size of dnl, but the important thing to remember is that DnL will be on 1 server.....
    EDIT: 1 server means a whole new server cluster technology will have to be developed for this game.

Ummm *cough*cough* EVE *cough*cough*  it's actually bigger than dnl, but of course it is in space, but even on that level it would probably take half a day to travel from one side to the other.  Oh and they use server cluster technology.  And they comfortabley fit 17k users on it at the same time.  (of course with a bit of lag when there are 100+ people in battle, but in general it's comfortable) 

so the server cluster technology has already been developed and has been in use since 2003.  image

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

Originally posted by checkthis500
    Originally posted by kagda
    what you also have to remember when comparing this game to others, is that its not only bigger then any other mmorpg out there, in fact none come even close to half the size of dnl, but the important thing to remember is that DnL will be on 1 server.....EDIT: 1 server means a whole new server cluster technology will have to be developed for this game.
    Ummm *cough*cough* EVE *cough*cough*  it's actually bigger than dnl, but of course it is in space, but even on that level it would probably take half a day to travel from one side to the other.  Oh and they use server cluster technology.  And they comfortabley fit 17k users on it at the same time.  (of course with a bit of lag when there are 100+ people in battle, but in general it's comfortable) 
    so the server cluster technology has already been developed and has been in use since 2003.  image

really? hell i didnt know that. so eve is bigger than 40k km? thats pretty huge hehe..well i have never played eve but dont you fly around in ships or whatever? how fast do they move? if they move as fast as a space ship should move and it would take a half day to go across the whole map then ya that is huge!

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• kagdakagda Member Posts: 85

actually eve is not bigger then DnL in size, in fact its quite smaller, not sure where u got that info from... and if remember correctly DnL started developing gaming cluster server technology before eve... of course eve completed and published their game earlier (which i give them props for, and even thou i never played it, eve sounds like a really good game) but also im almost 100% sure that what ever engine/algorithms or what ever it is they use to configure the cluster servers is completley different between both of these games..... (also dont quote me on who said they will have 1 server technology, Eve or DnL i could not point you to a direct source, but if my memmory is good then it was DnL mostly cuz their website was lunched prior to eve's and its been their main slogan since the start)

if i remember correctly from a dev chat a while back, DnL is sopposed to be able to handle 500+ people on same screen with almost no lag, i dunno if eve specified something of that nature on their part, or what ever. but yeah, im just posting what i remember from dev chats and so forth...

also, u must remeber that its all different when ur comparing a game with only way to travel is space ships, and a land based game, chances are the 'speeds' are the same, but it just looks like space ships are faster because of the content around them

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Well actually one solar system in eve is bigger than DnL, considering you can travel in one direction almost infinitely, but thats not the disussion at hand.  There are people that have played EVE for several years and haven't explored the entire thing.  But of course there's no possible way to compare the two based on land size or anything because there is no size to EVE, it's space, set your space ship in one direction and you can go for as long as you want, but you wont be anywhere you want to be.

I didn't realize that DnL used the cluster servers first, and I didn't realize that they developed them, of course I didn't htink EVE developed them, just used them effectively.  All I know about EVE's cluster servers is that they've been in use since 03 and each server controls either 0.1 or 10% of the game, can't remember which. 

The amazing thing about DnL that I"ve seen is their horizons, how everything goes into the distance so well that it looks real.  However from the trailer I did notice that the scenes with lots of people had no scenery whatsoever, no flora, no fauna at all.  And the walking/running/fighting animations were horrible to me.  I didn't think any of them looked natural at all. 

If you could, explain to me how DnL is quite larger than EVE. (Not being a smartass, but I always thought it was the biggest, so I'm just curious how it isn't)

EDIT: Oh and the speed thing in EVE is kind of misleading.  I've seen people travel at speeds of up to 3000m/s, (probably some that got their ships to go faster), but since there is nothing around you, you have no point of reference, and they don't 'feel' as fast as they are.  So yes they go as fast as a spaceship could, but you can't really tell.  Kind of how the space shuttles orbit earth at a ridiculous speed, but you'd never have a guess at what it is, unless you were told.

Originally posted by checkthis500
    I didn't realize that DnL used the cluster servers first, and I didn't realize that they developed them, of course I didn't htink EVE developed them, just used them effectively.  All I know about EVE's cluster servers is that they've been in use since 03 and each server controls either 0.1 or 10% of the game, can't remember which. 
    The amazing thing about DnL that I"ve seen is their horizons, how everything goes into the distance so well that it looks real.  However from the trailer I did notice that the scenes with lots of people had no scenery whatsoever, no flora, no fauna at all.  And the walking/running/fighting animations were horrible to me.  I didn't think any of them looked natural at all. 
    If you could, explain to me how DnL is quite larger than EVE. (Not being a smartass, but I always thought it was the biggest, so I'm just curious how it isn't)

just want to focus on those 3 statments for now heh :) .... while i highly doubt that they actually developed the technology for cluster servers, i do like i said before belive they announced it before any other company, hence their main slogan was and allways been, "Largest mmorpg etc."... The biggest difference is DnL dev team in and of it self is around 20 people, which is extremly small compared to other big name companies, so it takes them a bit more time for the final product.... The other reason why DnL is different, is because unlike Eve's (and im not bashing just stating heh.. i got nothing against eve fyi if anyone is wondering) cluster servers where u said each server controls 10% of game, the DnL servers arent static, meaning, if one "zone" starts to get more populated the servers will automatically switch over to help that zone..

For Example: u got a zone with 50 people in it, and 2 computers are supporting it.... on the other hand u are running an even on the opposite side of the world where there is 500 people, so one of the computers from the '50 people zone' will switch over to the 500 people zone to help the load.... hence they can have a huge amount of people on same screen, without noticable lag.

i will agree that the running/fighting animations are not the best lol, some may say 'far from it' but on the bright side their partner ship with Snailgames, made it so they get motion caputre animations in game now, so you will soon notice and imporovment i think... being at e3 and watching the events that the AD team was running in game, i got to see a lot of different enviroments, with a lot of people in them. and as u said in your post u havent seen large number of people and good enviroment together in one scene, well, its just been 'unlucky' of sorts on our part on not getting those screen shots/movies... because they held events in a middle of this little outpost, and another in middle of a forest, which was quite nice.

I already wrote an essay lol on just those 2 topics, so i'll be brief with this one.
    I guess there is just no way we can efficently compare these 2 games, because u mentioned u can just fly one way forever and ever... but i guess if you connect the dots of the farthest laying 'useful space' and draw it into a big square or something, then we have sort of a comparison..... also while at e3 i got to fly on the little dragon thing, and at the same time u can look at your map and see where you are, and where your moving, and i thought the dragons were fast, haha, LIES, it still takes a REALLY long time to get from A to B.

EDIT: sorry couldn't help but write more lol.... i started following this game around July 03, and there were already people who've been following a year before that (Im in their guild now) and even then they still had the 1 server, server cluster logo thing going for them... just to put it in perspective, about dates.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

I'm liking this discusssion.  I'm learning a lot about the devs of DnL that I didn't know.  (I don't have anything against DnL either, and I'm highly looking forward to playing, I was just throwing comparisons up.  I have a bad habit of correcting people,)  I'll probably be playing DnL, just because I've always wanted to play a fantasy based game that was all on one server.  I like the fact that you get to know people by name, and what you do ingame really makes a difference to the game. 

The .1% server thing is actually the same thing that DnL does.  The servers shift to pick up other systems if they're high traffic or whatever.  I think the best way to explain the .1% thing is that it's .1% of the game, including the people on the game, so the main systems will have more server power than the outlying star systems. 

When it comes to size of the two games I think we can safely say, EVE is the largest space based MMO ever made, and DnL is the largest land-based MMO ever made.  I"m really glad I finally found someone that knows a lot about this game.  So I"m going to ask a question too.

Could you keep me informed about how the prelude game goes, or tell me how to get it.  I currently have no clue how to get it, but I"d love to play this game.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention how much I love the fact that they only have like 20 devs working for them.  I love the people that make games that they want to play and ti seems like they do what they do because of the love of gaming and for the players.  imageimage

i agree, this "hate" thread of sorts turned out to be a really nice thread in the end, and i likewise enjoyed our discussion :)....

See now that you explained it a little further(the 1% thing) i see exactly what you mean.... speaking of this discussion, about cluster servers etc... read the latests update on the mmorpg.com home page, i just read the article from the austin game conferrense about "Secret Lair Studios" using big world technology for their Next Gen MMO, and i just thought it was funny because DnL has been working with Bigworld since they first thought up of the game heh, funny how this 'old' game is actually far ahead of the games now a days.....

On to your questions:

I have no answer, lol.....
    Apperently they will make an announcment at begining/middle of Nov. and tell us the realease date for SoG... In fact this Prelude will be exactly what you wanted in terms of you wanting people to remember your name. as opposed to what a lot of people are saying, that this is just a open beta test and nothing else, its actually gonna start up the world economy, we will be the first ones to be able to take fortresses as well as defend them, and when the game goes live we get to keep these fortresses, and with a seperate team doing Events, you can be sure that pretty much ever event will be written into game lore when it goes live, and your name will be in game forever heh.

I will try to keep you, and everyone else updated about this release (i myself am looking forward to it, and to ordering my CD-Keys.) ....... Also a bit of trivia, the MAIN Lore guy behind EverQuest(1) is actually working for NP3, so they do have a couple old school proffessionals with them as well.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Awesome idea about creating the lore around the players.  Genius.  I hope the appearance of the game doesn't drag it down.  I mean it's not the most fluid of animation technology.  The dwarves remind me of midgets when they run (no offense to any little people reading this) and the fighting animations on the lastest trailer just seem cookie-cutter.  The armor and weps look fairly good.  How massive the array of armor and weps is what will make me want to play.  When it comes to looks, I'm really picky.

i have it on good knowledge that the array of different weapons/armors will be almost endless... because only Players can make armor/equip (unless quested), also certain items can be created only during certain specific times... so for the high end stuff, u can maybe make 1 piece per month heh... i dont know if u played EQ2, but they got this system where people combine skills together to make a super attack of sorts.. DnL is gonna feature that, but not just in combat, but also in crafting heh...so yeah. lots and lots of different equipment/weapons gonna be there

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

turkeybound, did you only create an account here so you could talk trash about a game you clearly have no experience of?

Originally posted by turkeybound
    "i have it on good knowledge that the array of different weapons/armors will be almost endless"
    I also have the good knowledge of knowing this is just a big overhyped steaming POS for I have seen it with my own eyes... but I suppose everyone will see the reality of it for themselves soon enough.

nope you havent seen it with your own eyes everryone allready knows your just a troll...go away

• MerckMerck Member Posts: 6

if most of you guys dont care about graphics i think you should go check ''the chronicle'' ...

it promises much more depthness of game play that you guys expecting from a mmorpg with almost as same crappy/shitty graphics as d&l ...with earlier release date....

i think most of the ppl like me that are chasing this game for the long time really disappointed after the delay of the release date and tbh it was a good decision cuz otherwise it would be a disaster to release it in november ...

• mugboy312mugboy312 Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Merck
    if most of you guys dont care about graphics i think you should go check ''the chronicle'' ...
    it promises much more depthness of game play that you guys expecting from a mmorpg with almost as same crappy/shitty graphics as d&l ...with earlier release date....
    i think most of the ppl like me that are chasing this game for the long time really disappointed after the delay of the release date and tbh it was a good decision cuz otherwise it would be a disaster to release it in november ...

with SoG in DnL i'll take my chances on TRYING it. If i really...really want to wait for chronicles then i'll wait. till then, i will just TRY the SoG, so stop promoting another MMORPG in DnL forum, if any of us want to check it out we can, for crying out loud its on the Homepage of mmorpg.com if i'm not mistaken.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

turkeybound

last warning

DO NOT talk about beta or EVEN hint to it.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

This discussion has been closed.