Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I play this casually?

jtreherjtreher Member Posts: 3

I'm looking for a game that will only take a few hours a week for many years. Does it have a lot of break points or is does this game have tasks that take hours and hours to complete?

I should say, is it possible to dedicate a small amount of time to this game?

Comments

• DraigCochDraigCoch Member Posts: 81

Initially you will need to spend a bit of time with EvE in order to understand the game and the way it works.

After that initial period, and you know what your doing, you can play the game very casually, and still advance at the same rate as anyone else.  You will prob need yto log in once a day to switch skills. Or if you know you won't be logging on for a few days make sure you choose a long train time skill.

Your only drawback to those that play more hours will be your cash balance being lower. However if you went into market trade you could realistically (once skills sorted for trade) play less than an hour a week and make millions...

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

If you don't have a lot of time to play, I suggest a browser game. I play Archspace in complement with EVE Online to pass the time while I warp around.

• LegoBlockLegoBlock Member Posts: 3

To piggyback on what others were saying, you will progress in EVE by training skills.   Skill training is accomplished in real-time (no matter if you are logged in or not.)   If you chose to train a 30 min skill, it will finish exactly 30 min from the time you start it.   Advanced skills can take days, weeks, up to months to complete.   During that time there is no neccecity to log in or have any activity in-game.  

However, the downfall is of coarse, the less time you put in-game, the less cash (isk) you'll have to spend.   Most everything in EVE is sold/purchased off of a player driven market.   The higher the demand, the higher the price.   So naturally, better items require more isk.

Most every role in EVE is a 'work at your own pace' style of play.  But, I've found that the differant roles are SO in-depth that this game can quickly become quite addictive.

I say try it out.  You can get a 14 day free trial (barely enough to scratch the surface) and if you don't like it there is no need to even subscribe (and you can use the 14 day trial as many times as you want provided you start a new character.)

Best wishes.

• CortoCorto Member Posts: 64

EVE online is a great game if you have LOTS of time to invest.

Sure, training is done offline as well, but you can't earn isk (money) if you do not play. And ships and equipment cost literally millions of ISK.

If you finally get a decent ship, chances are you will lose it in combat. You can insure your ship but guess what... that costs plenty of ISK too... And insurance expires after a number of days. So if you dont combat (play) a lot during those days, you will have waisted isk on insurance. This can be avoided if you time the purchase of your insurance correctly, like get an insurance before a holiday period or so...

If you do not search out a combat career and find a good corp to assist you, you might make it as a casual player, although most likely you will miss out on all the fun activities...

• StedfastStedfast Member Posts: 101
    Most definitely, see what others have stated.