Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colorful yet?

sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
So have the devs started to add any color to the game yet? The game was fun enough, but I just couldn't handle all the shades of grey and brown. Why on earth did they decide to go with such a drab color scheme?

Comments

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

what do you mean "to the game"? there are colors everywhere (especially in Qeynos) If you are reffering to Freeport, it is a little dull because it is suposed to be a dark and gloomy place.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by sschrupp
    So have the devs started to add any color to the game yet? The game was fun enough, but I just couldn't handle all the shades of grey and brown. Why on earth did they decide to go with such a drab color scheme?

To put it short, no. EQ2 is still as bland and unimaginative as ever. Its engine still employs about 100 different shades of grey and brown and frankly, one hour of everquest2 is enough to drive you into chronic depression.

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

these were taken earlier tonigt: (sorry for low quality, had to shrink them to make file size smalle enough to host on ImageShack)

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• lex-icon82lex-icon82 Member Posts: 232

Nice screen Nihilanth! ::::28::

I used to rip on the graphics of this game too before I actually tried it! the screens don't do justice

Have played:
    UO, WOW, COH/V, EQ2
    Currently playing:
    Age of Conan (EU)

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    All I can say to those screens Nihilanth is...holy crap! I can't wait to see those places, I would say yes that is some colorful stuff hehe can't wait to see it on my comp.image

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

What settings were those taken on? I would guess you had everything turned full blast, from the lighting, but you never know.

I will give the Devs props, they really did a stellar job with the graphics on the expansion. I always thought things were a bit on the bland side with the 'old world' zones, but that's definitely not a problem here.

Originally posted by Coldmeat
    What settings were those taken on? I would guess you had everything turned full blast, from the lighting, but you never know.I will give the Devs props, they really did a stellar job with the graphics on the expansion. I always thought things were a bit on the bland side with the 'old world' zones, but that's definitely not a problem here.

Nope, I'd say those were about medium settings. Still looks very pretty though.

Have played:
    UO, WOW, COH/V, EQ2
    Currently playing:
    Age of Conan (EU)

ya my settings are custom worked around high preformance (one under balanced - no where near max)

XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Ah yes, the desert of flames. Which basically means you wont see color until youre level 45 or so.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Nihilanth
    ya my settings are custom worked around high preformance (one under balanced - no where near max)

Trust me when I say... at Custom "Quality" settings they are far far more stunning. I can't wait to see screens from someone once there are systems that can play the game on maximum settings.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

ya ive seen the game on close to max settings at my friend's house. it has the abilty to be absolutely jaw drop gorgeous, it just takes one hellofa machine to get there.

XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

Originally posted by pirrg
    Ah yes, the desert of flames. Which basically means you wont see color until youre level 45 or so.

bashes.......head.......into.......wall.......

XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

I run the game on maximum textures and very high lighting.

The first add so much more details to everything its amazing. It eats memory tough. So far it have affected gameplay two places. When going near QH docks the game slows down for 1-2 seconds (then become playable), and the second level of clefts of rujark near maproom emptied my 2gig of memory completely (have to be a bug there). Other then that and it doesnt really slow down the game at all.

The second setting, very high lighting add some environment shadows without really slowing down the game much. Add depth to the world when the sun is up.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Originally posted by seabass2003
    To the OP. Well if ya didnt have such a ***** computer would would see how much color there is. As far as color goes. Its freakin everywhere. Yet another thread to created just to annoy people.

Don't worry, my computer isn't the piece of junk you assume it is. Yes there are colors. There are brown or grey shaded red, brown or grey shaded green, a little smattering of brown or grey shaded other colors, brown, grey, and finally dirty whites. There was a bit more color in Qeynos, I admit, but again it was brown or grey shaded color, just a little less brown or grey in it. A couple of my friends I game with all the time were of the same opinion. There were just no vibrant colors anywhere for the most part. I'm not asking for Techno-color World of Warcraft (although that's fun to look at for that game), but when I play a fantasy game I kind of like to see SOME pretty colors now and then. When you do a search on the official forums there are plenty of posts commenting on the lack of color as well. Original EQ had a ton of color, so it's just really odd that the devs decided on such a "blah" range of colors (or lack there-of) in EQ2.

Those screen shots up above have a lot more color than what I experienced and it would be nice if the devs started adding hints of that color in the rest of the game.

Is it true that you only get to see colors at high levels? Nihilanth, you were banging your head at that comment. Was that a head bashing of agreement or disagreement? lol

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Here are some with more to come:

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

My problem with EQ2 graphics is that everything looks so steril, clean and perfect. I mean a giant temple must have a scratch somewhere. Everything looks like it was built 2 minutes ago in a Nasa contaiment chamber used for attaching critical eletronic devices to satelites. That is not how building in "fantasy" where built and therefor they shouldn't look like that either.

Beautiful screenshots! I can't wait to get my 7800GT so I can run my game at those settings!

Have played:
    UO, WOW, COH/V, EQ2
    Currently playing:
    Age of Conan (EU)

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

While not colorful, here are some of the screens I like best so far.
    The first is from a rainy night in South Q.

Here a gnome do what gnomes do best.

And may they never meet ;)

Generally, to get the best screenshots, hide your UI (there is a hotbutton for that). Open up an image editor and select the part of the image your satisfied with. Most often when you post on forums your screenshot will be shrinked. That means details that you see and make the screenshot faboulos is lost. Most often what you focus on is a subpart of the screen. So cut the part you want to show, and every pixel will count in its full glory.

Originally posted by lex-icon82

Beautiful screenshots! I can't wait to get my 7800GT so I can run my game at those settings!

I have a Nvidia 6800gt running on a computer that is an AMD 2800 with a gig of ram and those were taken with all the settings on max. Now to be fair I can't really play the game with everything turned up like that. I am able to walk around and take screenshots of things at a framrate of about 10-15fps. However if there is a lot of action and movement on the screen the game would become unusable. In general I can keep the settings on high at 1280X1024, which still looks incredible, just not quite that good.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by Phoenixs
    My problem with EQ2 graphics is that everything looks so steril, clean and perfect. I mean a giant temple must have a scratch somewhere. Everything looks like it was built 2 minutes ago in a Nasa contaiment chamber used for attaching critical eletronic devices to satelites. That is not how building in "fantasy" where built and therefor they shouldn't look like that either.

Spend more time in Freeport, especially in the racial districts. The boat docks like in Long Shadow Ally are very flawed and broken down, broken barrels, the hanging flags have tears in them. Infact of all the Freeport racial districts i've seen they all have ample (rundown) ambiance.

It's an evil thing.

Playing: varies every day it seems.