Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too many fantasy MMOG's!

Hey everyone. I just got a suggestion for an MMOG, unlike any other. I know my idea isn't going to make it to development or anything like that but I think that all MMOG's are pretty much the same thing. The biggest genre of ANY mmog right now is definitely fantasy. I'm talking about fantasy like killing stuff with swords and anything related to that. Some games im talking about are:

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Wars
  • Dark Age of Camelot
  • Runescape (not really an mmog but kind of is)
  • lots more

Sure, there are a lot of games that vary from this. Some of these games include:

• Anarchy Online
  • EVE online
  • City of Heroes

I also know that more games are coming out that are lots different then fantasy games, but then again, there are a lot coming out that are fantasy. I mean I like fantasy games a lot, but I think seeing the SAME kind of game over and over again gets annoying. I like the variety of some games though, like Auto Assault. I haven't played it, but it looks COMPLETELY different from any other kind of online game.

I'm just tired of all the games that say they are a lot different from others, and then its the same old crap.

1. Kill monsters
  2. Sell stuff
  3. Get money
  4. Buy better armor and weapons
  5. Level up
  6. Repeat

And don't forget, your paying $15 dollars every month for all this. A lot of games have more too it then just those things, but mainly besides guilds and all of that, that is just about all you do. I wish games could be DIFFERENT.

Anyone want to suggest a new MMOG, thats NOT medevil like (i know i spelled that wrong)?
Check out my idea below.

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    My eyes! The green! Make it stop! It burns my eyes! Can't read....hurts.....

• PhallenPhallen Member Posts: 17
    There is a ton of fantasy mmorpgs but a majority of them suck, Also when you play them theres other things you can do in a mmorpg. Try joining a guild, raiding, interacting with other people, pvp/dueling, quests, ect. In my opinion there are plenty of thing to do in them.

"Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the sake of those who refuse to be instructed, whose spirit cannot be subdued, or softened, or hindered from plunging into evil." - Plato

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

There are more fantasy RPGs because they are more popular. I think they are more popular because they are rooted in actual mythology and legend, so we can all relate to them better.

•  I think what some developers fail to realize or realize it but don't care.. One of the main factors for EQs success was.

Interaction within a community.. Massive amount of other players, chating, trading, competing.

Sure some people are into fantasy (Orcs, Faries,Leveling system) etc etc but take a look at football fans. How obsessive some of them are (reading stats, subscribe to newspapers, wearing jerseys, putting their kids in football, etc etc) if a football MMORPG was done correctly, it could generate way more appeal than Orcs could ever imagine.  Look at all the hype Planetside had, if the game was a bit more skill based during its release, i think it would have sold ALLOT more units. (Tony Hawks Theme park.. etc etc, some kind of sports approach would be a breath of fresh air/ or a First person shooter, that was done right)

Certain companies are branching out into new areas, making MMOs similar to GTA. Star Wars and Star Trek are also being offered. But with the right developers and funding, i can see potential in allot of areas that don't seem to even be on the radar for MMORPGs.

Personaly, id be afraid to fund a fantasy based game these days. Theres several markets out there filled with potential and creating a Fantasy based MMORPG= competing with some real heavy hitters.

• btw id also like to add, if your going to make another fantasy based mmorpg, please don't waste my time reading about your game... if you insist on creating it, be creative.. be original...
  • loserkid368loserkid368 Member Posts: 91

Here's my idea for a new MMOG (you can post yours in this thread too):

This varies from other MMOG's because in most, you choose a race, and a class, and everything is predetermined. This game is completely different. There are no classes, and not a predetermined race. Some of this game is slightly similar to City of Heroes because of the huge variety of character customization. You just customize the way you want your monster to look, and the game begins. You don't choose what kind of traits or abilities you have when you first create your character.

Your abilities vary depending on where you are normally at in your environment. For example, if you are normally in a place that has lots of fire (volcanic-like), your creature eventually adapts to it and the more it is in that same environment, the stronger it becomes with that kind of element. However, this causes your experience with other elements to slightly decrease. When I say "elements", im not just talking about wind water fire and earth. The main elements in this game are just whatever kind of environment you are in. Ok, i know this really isn't making much sense, but as your character adapts to his environment, his looks change as well. If he was a wolf, and he was constantly in a ice-like environment, his fur would change to white, and along with that, he couldnt withstand lots of fire, which would make him stronger with fighting creatures that are vulnerable to ice.

Ok, now it really doesnt make any sense at all. But basically, its just different from other MMOG's. Sorry it's so confusing, but bare with me, im only 12 image. Type any other ideas you have here.

• loserkid368loserkid368 Member Posts: 91
    lol sorry it took so long to get the post for the game up, my internet messed up.

• Originally posted by loserkid368

This varies from other MMOG's because in most, you choose a race, and a class, and everything is predetermined. This game is completely different. There are no classes, and not a predetermined race. Some of this game is slightly similar to City of Heroes because of the huge variety of character customization. You just customize the way you want your monster to look, and the game begins. You don't choose what kind of traits or abilities you have when you first create your character.

Your abilities vary depending on where you are normally at in your environment. For example, if you are normally in a place that has lots of fire (volcanic-like), your creature eventually adapts to it and the more it is in that same environment, the stronger it becomes with that kind of element. However, this causes your experience with other elements to slightly decrease. When I say "elements", im not just talking about wind water fire and earth. The main elements in this game are just whatever kind of environment you are in. Ok, i know this really isn't making much sense, but as your character adapts to his environment, his looks change as well. If he was a wolf, and he was constantly in a ice-like environment, his fur would change to white, and along with that, he couldnt withstand lots of fire, which would make him stronger with fighting creatures that are vulnerable to ice.
    Ok, now it really doesnt make any sense at all. But basically, its just different from other MMOG's. Sorry it's so confusing, but bare with me, im only 12 image. Type any other ideas you have here.

Makes perfect sense to me, your basically using the Fable concept. Where your actions reflect upon your characters/avatars appearance. I think its a great idea and next gen mmorpgs should look into it.
  • PhallenPhallen Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by loserkid368

Its a very interesting idea.

"Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the sake of those who refuse to be instructed, whose spirit cannot be subdued, or softened, or hindered from plunging into evil." - Plato

• Jetram2Jetram2 Member Posts: 7
    I think thats a good idea but when he addaptes to his envornment say forest he will learn to make wepons like spike stick and stuff but ya i thought it was a good idea
  • Dr.DementoDr.Demento Member Posts: 12

Sounds like a great idea, the only problem I see with it is not being able to see all of the game without messing up your character. For example : If you were the Icewolf but wanted to see what the fire place looked like, if you went there your character would be weaker in ice and stronger in fire a.k.a. generally sucking. Still a great idea though, I would but that game in an instant ::::28::

• disstressdisstress Member Posts: 417

per·sis·tent Pronunciation Key (pr-sstnt, -zs-)
    adj.

1. Refusing to give up or let go; persevering obstinately.
    2. Insistently repetitive or continuous: a persistent ringing of the telephone.
    3. Existing or remaining in the same state for an indefinitely long time; enduring: persistent rumors; a persistent infection.

I had to bring the dictionary here, because it seems that too many people don't know what a persistent online world is. MMORPGs are repetitive by definition. MMORPGs employ a persistent world, thereby allowing the game to continue without anyone ever winning. Too many people expect it to be a single player game that never ends, and has some 300 people sitting in a basement working 36 hour days, coding new content.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by aeric67

There are more fantasy RPGs because they are more popular. I think they are more popular because they are rooted in actual mythology and legend, so we can all relate to them better.

Hmmm.....Dont think so. In the rest of the PC gaming arena, its WWII/War shooters and Sci - Fi are THE most popular game types (Halo, I believe, is still a best seller, number 13 or 14) Battlefield2, Doom3, Halflife2 on and on. (dont forget the Sims which more or less control the top 10 spots) Only in MMORPG's is it dominated by Fantasy. Recently WoW and GW where able to break into the top 10 in sales and hit number 1 for a short period but where quickly unseated by Battlefield2 in sales. MMORPG unit sales are usually blown out of the water by other PC game types.

As far as relating to them better. Thats pretty subjective. I dont relate to them better, I never had to wake up, get my sword and hack my way to work. No one writing on this board ever had to kill a monster or use "magic". Mythology and Legend never happened so how can we related better? (Beowolf never exsisted any more then Luke Skywalker, I could say I can relate better to Luke because I watched and heard him on a screen, I could see his emotion, as the actor portaid. Beowolf, although a root english myth, is much more difficult because first I need to read and understand it - Beowolf, for those who are not familar, is the first "epic" poem discovered written in old English. One could argue it is the bases of our "epic" story writing method)

I am a vet and had to use a weapon in combat. Using this logic, I should like Battlefield2 more.

Soooo........(rant off) in conclusion, there are to many Fantasy games. The MMORPG market can hardly support the amount there are already. This genre field NEEDS to become MORE inovative and dynamic. How many variations of EQ can this market take?  Will we all just settle for WoW2 and EQ4?

• enixryanenixryan Member Posts: 254

I did understand your topic most of the Fantasy MMORPG'S are the same lol but thats what gets the people to join its fun it the kind of game some people are into so whats wrong with that?! LOL I'll be posting more message so heave my word!!! image
    http://www.seals-online.moonfruit.com [email protected]

Seals Online AN EPIC MMORPG    Fantasy United (C)
    Want to join Seals Online Staff...?  Goto the site and become a member and then you will get free access to the game!
    http://www.fantasy-united.moonfruit.com

• respublicarespublica Member Posts: 58

well.. at least the story line is somewhat different ::::01::

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979
    Trying to think of an "original" mmo, or game for that matter, is like trying to think of a sci-fi story that Star Trek has not allready done. Its close to impossible.
  • andermananderman Member Posts: 70

There are too many fantasy games but other genres are being developed, games like Auto Assault, Roma Victor, Pirates otbs and even shot online for a golf MMO!

-Adam