Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just curious about something I read...magic system?

"Thanks to Valve's Steam technology, your computer will download new game content as it becomes available. Regular updates will roll out with new features, including avatar play, the magic system."

This game will have a magic system? Hmmmm pirates and wizards, interesting indeed. image

Joined - July 2004

Comments

• nooberpienooberpie Member Posts: 1
    I saw this also. On the website im pretty sure there wasnt going to be magic in this game. If they want it to be a true pirate game then they should leave out magic.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

That was a blunder.

Pirates of the Burning Sea will absolutely NOT have a magic system.  They have only left the historical era for some minor game reasons (ease of travel, no perma-death for characters or ships, ect).

image  That would be a joke if they had magic in a Pirate game...  A complete joke...

*cough* http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/piratesofthecaribbeanonline/factsheet_6123020.html *cough*

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MUHzzxK0MUHzzxK0 Member Posts: 389

Don't worry... we wont have ship mast +3 to magic missile ;)

No magic..image

• JudiusJudius Member Posts: 16

Magic could most certainly find its niche in a well designed seafaring game.

But, at the same time, from what I've read of PBS, that'd be completely beside the point for this particular one. Now, a little fun exaggeration on the pirate spirit wouldn't be out of place here... I truly hope this doesnt become MS Flight Simulator- pirate style and online!

Ugh.

• RITBeastRITBeast Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by remyburke
    "Thanks to Valve's Steam technology, your computer will download new game content as it becomes available. Regular updates will roll out with new features, including avatar play, the magic system."
    This game will have a magic system? Hmmmm pirates and wizards, interesting indeed. image

That sounds like a mis-copy/paste to me. Valve probably had a bunch of promotional statements attached when you buy your Steam License, and a PR person copied, pasted and mis-edited.

• Cowboy_StyleCowboy_Style Member Posts: 1

i have nothing against a magic system, as long as its not an IN YOUR FACE magic system. if its just small thigns like tiny buffs, enchanting equiptment (with a drawback), and tacticle magic, its not problum. its when they have fireballs and sumoning dragons and shit, thats when it gets on my nerves.

• CompgeekCompgeek Member Posts: 9

LOL that would be funny, I hope they have F-16 is long range missiles as well hehehe jk if you couldn't tell.

I haven't read much on this game but it looks like it will be interesting

• DarkObsidianDarkObsidian Member Posts: 1
    Heh, this is almost a year old thread. However, by "magic system", they were refering to their system that allowed you to download new content etc. not an actual "magic system".
  • TeaflaxTeaflax Member Posts: 11

Actually, I remember reading very early in the dev cycle that they were considering adding some low-level magic to the game, but based on what I've heard lately I'm sure that's fallen by the wayside.

But it's not completely out of the blue. Here's their FAQ:

2.12 Is there magic in the game?
    No. There are none of the spells, magic wands, +3 helmets, or any of that stuff you may have seen in other MMORPGs. Pirates and sailors do have all kinds of superstitions and ghost stories about life at sea, and we may explore those in the game, but we're not going to do anything that you'd consider magic as offered in fantasy games like World of Warcraft or Everquest.

Yes, the first word is "no", but if you read the rest of the paragraph, they're hinting at some possible supernatural activity.

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

There is no 'magic' in-game, at all. This is a historical naval combat game. The only 'supernatural' stuff would be, as an example, missions to go investigate strange occurrences; all of these kinds of things in this era had their basis in fact.

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

I dunno... I for one would like to see the elements of the supernatural in the game. Think - Pirates of the Carribean, and cursed gold, and ghosts, and that sort of thing. Witches and Warlocks would have been "the stuff of legend" back in that day, but they certainly have reared their head in pirate lore over the centuries.

::::24::

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by etruscan
    I dunno... I for one would like to see the elements of the supernatural in the game. Think - Pirates of the Carribean, and cursed gold, and ghosts, and that sort of thing. Witches and Warlocks would have been "the stuff of legend" back in that day, but they certainly have reared their head in pirate lore over the centuries. ::::24::

That's too bad, cuz there won't be.

You'll have to wait for PotC for that.

PotBS is historically based, which is how most of the people playing it prefer.