Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age Of Camelot: Shrouded Isles Review

Better late than never! Today we offer up our review of Dark Age of Camelot's first expansion pack: Shrouded Isles. Why so late? Well, we've just recently begun the review of expansions and in an effort to help you make informed choices are going to go back and review all the major ones. We begin as Chris Massey (no relation to myself) reviews Shrouded Isles.

image The Reaver and Necromancer classes were new to Albion. Reavers are a hybrid of sorts offering a melee character with some interesting spell choices, relying mainly on debuffs, lifetaps and the new flexible weapons, and are limited to chain. The Necromancer class, on the other hand, is a pet class which relies solely on his or her pet to survive. While the pet is alive, the Necromancer is an ethereal shade, but if the pet is destroyed, the Necromancer becomes visible with a bare minimum of hit points, and is easily destroyed.

The Valewalker and Animist classes were new to Hibernia. The Animist is a unique pet class in that he or she can summon various types of plants, from “turrets” to “bombers,” instead of typical pets. The Valewalker, on the other hand, is a hybrid tank limited to cloth, but capable of casting powerful self-buffing spells making the cloth much more powerful. Valewalkers also specialize in the large Scythe as a main weapon.

Lastly, Midgard picked up the Bonedancer and the Savage classes. The Bonedancer is another pet class, but he or she can create an army of pets, depending on the Bonedancer’s level. The player only controls the commander of the army, the size of which is limited to three pets at the highest levels. The other pets follow and assist the commander. Conversely, the Savage is a furious hand-to-hand fighter who exchanges hit points for buffs of every sort, from evades attacking speed, and makes for a high-DPS light tank.

You can read his full review here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

As expansions go, it wasn't bad.  They still knew what their game was when the released it.

• DevientDevient Member Posts: 46

I started playing DAoC with the release of SI - and I have to say SI did make the game that much more enjoyable for me to play - from 10 hour long raids to Caer Sidi - to attempting to kill the 2 headed dragon of AC - it has all been fun. 

Now - I think I am going home to DAoC - where all the fun for me began - and despite what anyone has ever said ToA was Great!  And still is a good expansion - and Catacombs is also fun.

Gr8 review.  Much enjoyed.

Oh where to begin:
    DAoC Juansanchez 50 Armsman Igraine - Back from the Grave
    DAoC Prol 50 Necro Igraine - Back from the Grave
    CoH Devient 28 Mace/Stone Tank *Retired*
    WoW Talgar 27 Warrior *Retired*
    Horizons Goledstadt 35 Dragon *Retired*
    And many many others in many many games. But I always go back to my home in DAoC :)

• frankyz669frankyz669 Member Posts: 50

Shrouded Isles was a very good expansion. 

ToA ruined the game for those that didn't have time.  But for hardcore gamers it was a godsend.

DAoC is one of the best MMORPG's out there imho.

"I have live my life by these nine simple words: It sounded like a good idea at the time."
    --Livingston Taylor

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

I agree with the review 100%.

If your new to DAoC you have a lot to look forward to it is a great game and its age only means its well polished and a nice change from many of the buggy newer MMO's.

However if you have been there before like me and the reviwer, you wont find much to keep you again and I agree the grind after 40 is numbing....

All in all though one of the best MMO's around... STILL!!

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

I'd rather like to see a complete review, that takes into account all current features instead of bringing up past mistakes or things, that are so fully integrated in the current game, that noone would reognise them as "expansion" anymore