Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is this game worth playing yet?

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Did you know that $OE was actually looking at the feasibility of creating pre-cu servers for those who left due to the CU?

Did you know there was also further debate that those pre-CU servers wouldn't allow Jedi to be transferred, that you'd have to re-grind them up? Also debate on wether Jedi would even be allowed?

Chew on that.

Before fanbois jump that info... it came from a developer at a fanfest to someone I know. Private conversation with total deniability, but I trust the person who told me. He said the decision hasn't been made, just the feasibility was explored.

Personally, I'd see it as win win... $OE gets subscribers back, while players get what they actually want... but they'd have to admit they were WRONG... and I'd have thought that would never happen. But then W said HE was wrong about Katrina, so anything's possible.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Shayde

Did you know that $OE was actually looking at the feasibility of creating pre-cu servers for those who left due to the CU?
    Did you know there was also further debate that those pre-CU servers wouldn't allow Jedi to be transferred, that you'd have to re-grind them up? Also debate on wether Jedi would even be allowed?
    Chew on that.
    Before fanbois jump that info... it came from a developer at a fanfest to someone I know. Private conversation with total deniability, but I trust the person who told me. He said the decision hasn't been made, just the feasibility was explored.
    Personally, I'd see it as win win... $OE gets subscribers back, while players get what they actually want... but they'd have to admit they were WRONG... and I'd have thought that would never happen. But then W said HE was wrong about Katrina, so anything's possible.

I seriously doubt that. The developers have a Dont Talk policy on no-jedi servers. Go check the multitude of threads requesting no-jedi servers. Not one developer reply. And if there was I would like to see it.

When the developers do the Q&A chats for sites like Stratics, Warcry, and IGN, the mods are not allowed to let the question of no-jedi servers through to the developers. They are not just trying to cover it up for plausible deniability later, they are outright ignoring it. I wouldnt be surprised if the main office has a Dont Talk policy on it as well.

So I seriously doubt any developer told you they are or were considering a server with that.

Kai

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Chew on that.
    I seriously doubt that. The developers have a Dont Talk policy on no-jedi servers. Go check the multitude of threads requesting no-jedi servers. Not one developer reply. And if there was I would like to see it.
    When the developers do the Q&A chats for sites like Stratics, Warcry, and IGN, the mods are not allowed to let the question of no-jedi servers through to the developers. They are not just trying to cover it up for plausible deniability later, they are outright ignoring it. I wouldnt be surprised if the main office has a Dont Talk policy on it as well.
    So I seriously doubt any developer told you they are or were considering a server with that.
    Kai

It was a "fesability study" and it was told to a friend at the convention. He knew the developer and it was total deniability.

That, and up until 3 days before the CU was pushed, a group of developers questioned whether is should be pushed. They sited the resistance and bad feedback. The executives said "They'll bitch, but they'll take it". Guess they were wrong there.

None of that is "official line".. it is all whispered from an inside man in $OE. A coder with no official cutsey tagline on the boards, or any person giving soundbites. A grunt who thought this mess was a bad idea, but still liked getting a paycheck.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

Chew on that.

When the developers do the Q&A chats for sites like Stratics, Warcry, and IGN, the mods are not allowed to let the question of no-jedi servers through to the developers. They are not just trying to cover it up for plausible deniability later, they are outright ignoring it. I wouldnt be surprised if the main office has a Dont Talk policy on it as well.
    Kai

It was a "fesability study" and it was told to a friend at the convention. He knew the developer and it was total deniability.

That, and up until 3 days before the CU was pushed, a group of developers questioned whether is should be pushed. They sited the resistance and bad feedback. The executives said "They'll bitch, but they'll take it". Guess they were wrong there.

None of that is "official line".. it is all whispered from an inside man in $OE. A coder with no official cutsey tagline on the boards, or any person giving soundbites. A grunt who thought this mess was a bad idea, but still liked getting a paycheck.

So basically it could have been anyone, anything, nothing, or no one that was involved eh? Conveniant for you eh Shayde? From some whino outside who found a dev tag in the garbage to some fan who likes to lie and sound important..... From a developers talking about merging servers and someone decided to stretch what was said to absolutely no one saying anything about it and its all made up to make someone feel like they are right....

If they had done a feasability study for plausable deniability on no-jedi servers, we would have gotten the often used line "Its Impossible" that they just love to tell everyone. Fact is they have said ZERO about it and refuse to even acknowledge the request. They wont even give the community respect enough to tell them "No we wont do it."

And why is it always "told to a friend" or "a friend of mine heard it". And when you go to that friend for the direct scoop he/she says it was one of their friends who actually heard it and so on. Hmmmm

Kai

Look, If you don't want to believe it, that's fine. The feasibility study was for a PRE-CU server... the "Non-Jedi" thing was just an additional factor thrown in there. It's like "What if we get a new car" and "What if we get Sirius on the radio too".. Just a possible option, and only a detail.

It was an internal study.. they didn't want that info out. They didn't want the "Cu was a great idea" fascade to even crack. It was mainly a way to see if they could get the thousands of lost subscriptions back and run it like EQ does for EQ1... basically letting it run itself without updates while they focus on SWG2 (the CU).

They were looking at the cost to have rollback servers.. what they thought the demand was. They compared that with the "They'll eventually learn to like it and we can't admit we're wrong" theory they have run with. Still haven't seen one external mention of it, so it is either shelved or totally gone.

But I wouldn't put it past $OE if they think there's dollar one in it.

Take it for what you will. I trust the person who told me, and his info had never been wrong before.. including early concept on the CU which was scrapped for the SWGEQ2 mess we got.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Look, If you don't want to believe it, that's fine. The feasibility study was for a PRE-CU server... the "Non-Jedi" thing was just an additional factor thrown in there. It's like "What if we get a new car" and "What if we get Sirius on the radio too".. Just a possible option, and only a detail.
    It was an internal study.. they didn't want that info out. They didn't want the "Cu was a great idea" fascade to even crack. It was mainly a way to see if they could get the thousands of lost subscriptions back and run it like EQ does for EQ1... basically letting it run itself without updates while they focus on SWG2 (the CU).
    They were looking at the cost to have rollback servers.. what they thought the demand was. They compared that with the "They'll eventually learn to like it and we can't admit we're wrong" theory they have run with. Still haven't seen one external mention of it, so it is either shelved or totally gone.
    But I wouldn't put it past $OE if they think there's dollar one in it.
    Take it for what you will. I trust the person who told me, and his info had never been wrong before.. including early concept on the CU which was scrapped for the SWGEQ2 mess we got.

Ok so you say "your friend" told you that a study was made on PreCU servers and No-Jedi Servers. Lets break this down in the myriad of possibilities and find out why you should have kept your mouth shut shall we?

First "your friend". This has been around for ages. I am sure in some cave 50k years ago some caveman told his buddy "Well a friend of mine spit on the wood and started a fire. He told me." So this is no new thing. And usually when you go to that friend, you find out it wasnt him, it was another friend, and so on. But lets say, for sake of arguement, that you did have a friend tell you this. So lets say your friend did in fact talk to someone about this very subject...

It obviously wasnt alot of people around or others would have talked about this too. And trust me here, I would have heard about it by now. So this other person only talked to your friend about it and no one else ever since, because someone else would have talked for sure if it was news like that.

Now lets look at this other person. How do we know he was a programmer for the game? Could have been some idiot who hated the game enough to try to spread nasty rumors at fanfest and of the people he did tell only one was gullible enough to believe it.

But lets say that you really do have a friend who did you tell this because he really did talk to a lowly programmer that told him all about this and told no one else ever..... He says a feasability study was done. Here is how this can work....

2 guys are walking to the weekly meeting at SOE in Houston. One says to the other "Hey did you check out the huge forum thread on no-jedi or pre-CU servers this morning?" The other replies "Yes I saw that. We wont ever do that for sure."

So they are sitting in the meeting and the lead developer says "Anyone have any ideas about these recent threads that have been popping up?" And one of the two speaks up "Um yah me and Frank just finished a feasability study on the way here and dont think it will work." And the lead replies "Ok good. New business? No? Then I am off to my mistress and yacht. Bye."

So now we have a "friend" who didnt talk to someone who hates this game and instead talked to a lowly programmer who happened to tell him everything and no one else (at the risk of his job I might add) about a feasability study that was conducted and wasnt done in some hallway.......*woo out of breath*

But I think you get the picture now aye? This is why we dont use "My friend knows" as a viable arguement platform. Do you understand now Skippy??

Kai

Look. I don't care what your opinion is on the information I was told. Just because you came up with some nonsensical scenario that ficticously disproves it doesn't make what I was told any more or less valid.

I know the person who told my friend is an employee of $OE. I also know he's low down on the totem pole.

I know all the other information passed through this person was true before. Not once was it wrong.

You keep thinking I said they were looking to create non-jedi servers. I said they were looking to create pre-CU servers, with the possibility that we couldn't transfer Jedi, or it might be jedi free. That is VERY different than creating non-jedi servers. Quite frankly, they'd have to do a lot more re-coding to delete them and it probably wouldn't be worth it.

That, and the non-transfer of Jedi has been a policy for server transfers for a while.. and that's probably the same technical or philosophical hangup in play here.

Pre-Cu servers would be easy as pie, since they backuped EVERYTHING before the CU was pushed. There'd have been no Kashyyyk... no more expansions. Just SWG 1.0.

I don't have to answer to your skepticism. Believe it or don't. I'm just putting it out there.

I haven't heard the outcome, but after observing how $OE is just continuing to steer the ship into the heart of the sun.. I doubt it'd happen. I polled friends recently who quit SWG over the CU and only 1/3 said they'd come back for a pre-cu server. This was down from 80% who would have a month after push.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

dont forget -geo/force crystal cave/warren/imp them park/tusken thempark/nightsister (any)/corsec pirats.
    i can go on but i wont many of these are 60+.
    an combat level does make a diff from being 1 shot incap off your speeder jus trying to get to any of these places.
    an bug's an this is my problem with the game look at todays patch jus turning off house payment has somehow broke the whole cm profession or all dots if you will or all dots in game but choke who would of thought. ::::12::
    but that is jus how it is every patch that go in game breaks something
    but dont get me wrong im not saying the game is all bad it jus up to the person playing an how much you are willing to take the game does have its moments. ::::15::

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by benasato

an combat level does make a diff from being 1 shot incap off your speeder jus trying to get to any of these places.

You do realise that is no different from a lower level player in any other game passing through a higher level area?

Also if you are grouped with a higher level your defences are boosted to their level and you won't get one shotted.  I know this for fact as I have a cl7 crafter, who when grouped with my cl80 can survive perfectly well (even if not in close proximity).

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by benasato
    dont forget -geo/force crystal cave/warren/imp them park/tusken thempark/nightsister (any)/corsec pirats.
    i can go on but i wont many of these are 60+.
    an bug's an this is my problem with the game look at todays patch jus turning off house payment has somehow broke the whole cm profession or all dots if you will or all dots in game but choke who would of thought. ::::12::
    but that is jus how it is every patch that go in game breaks something
    but dont get me wrong im not saying the game is all bad it jus up to the person playing an how much you are willing to take the game does have its moments. ::::15::

Hmm lets take those 1 at a time:

1) GEo Cave: Can be done at CL54
    2) Warren: Can be done at CL50 - Guildmates of mine did it. You need a group of 50's but it can be done. Nothing in there is over CL64.
    3) Imp Theme Park: Can be done at CL40
    4) Tusken Fort: Can be done at like CL40 as well
    5) Nightsisters: Anywhere from CL60 to CL80
    6) Corsec pirates: Anywhere from CL30 to CL60
    7) Force Crystal Cave: CL54+

So tell me how those require you to be CL80 please? The game is about the journy, not the combat level of your character. As you can plainly see most of that content is FAR below CL80 and can even be done by people lower if they know what they're doing. Heck... I've seen CL35's at the Tusken fort.

Sure those places are all EASIER at CL60+... but it's not mandatory by any stretch of the immagination. Heck at CL75+ you can walk through the warrens and never get attacked because everything is grey. Same in the Geo Caves, unless they were changed in the last 5 weeks.

As to patches:
    I completely agree with you. I have never understood how SOE can release a patch live which is changing 1 minor thing and promptly breaks 10 other seemingly totally unrelated things. The QA team should be replaced in it's entirety. I have a good QA team working for me... if SOE would pony up the paychecks I'd be happy to move my entire team to San Diego to QA their crap for them before they release it :)

The only good thing about their patches is that when they DO break something (like CM's recently) they generally get it fixed within 48 hours. Or at least that was the case since ROTW hit. I don't know if they're still doing that but I know when they broke DE's they had it fixed in under 48 hours. Same for Entertainers, BH and a couple other things they borked due to a patch.

I do agree: It depends how much the buggy patches and presence of jedi bothers you. Personally I've gotten so used to buggy patches (From EVERY MMO... even WoW has it's issues there... disease... remember?) it was the Jedi infestation (damn cockroaches!!!!!) that finally drove me away.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Jedi are the ruling class of this game. As the new Ranger Revamp has shown me "Your either a jedi or a jedi's dog.".

That's EXACTLY why I quit.

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

sorry my post got mixed i was talking about someone said they could solo 70% at lvl 60.
    anywho im out this game as of tonight i play on bria an jus come to far to start over its a good game jus not good for me anymore. ::::20::

Originally posted by Wrayeth

Jedi are the ruling class of this game. As the new Ranger Revamp has shown me "Your either a jedi or a jedi's dog.".

Makes me wonder how the CM being broken has make Jedi slay everyone they see.

Makes me think it was intentional.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Well if you dont know for certain, I am sure you can find a friend to tell you it was intentional.......

Kai

Originally posted by kaibigan34 Jedi are the ruling class of this game. As the new Ranger Revamp has shown me "Your either a jedi or a jedi's dog.".

Well if you dont know for certain, I am sure you can find a friend to tell you it was intentional.......

Kai

No.. I only quote credible sources.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Yah and we are just supposed to take your word for it. Everyone here has proven you pull things out of thin air several times. Now you expect us to believe you........ Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Maybe you should go check it out.

Kai

Yah and we are just supposed to take your word for it. Everyone here has proven you pull things out of thin air several times. Now you expect us to believe you........ Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Maybe you should go check it out.Kai

What exactly have I pulled out of thin air? Or are you one of those "If the devs don't say it it's not true" types?

You'd be suprised how low to the ground my ear tends to be. I've never been proven wrong, yet.

Well, actually once. I never thought they'd roll back the XP nerf. I knew it would piss off all the people who actually tolerated the CU, I just thought they were too dumb to care. Of course that's coming back as soon as they figure out something shiny ehough to distract the players with.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Yah and we are just supposed to take your word for it. Everyone here has proven you pull things out of thin air several times. Now you expect us to believe you........ Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Maybe you should go check it out.Kai

What exactly have I pulled out of thin air? Or are you one of those "If the devs don't say it it's not true" types?

You'd be suprised how low to the ground my ear tends to be. I've never been proven wrong, yet.

Well, actually once. I never thought they'd roll back the XP nerf. I knew it would piss off all the people who actually tolerated the CU, I just thought they were too dumb to care. Of course that's coming back as soon as they figure out something shiny ehough to distract the players with.

No I am a "Wont believe it til see it, even if the developers said it" person because I know SOE.

Go look at the past threads here and the replies to your crap. Or do you just post stuff at random and ignore any replies thinking your right and everyone else wrong no matter what?

So many times you have just jumped and stated something as fact then have someone else come along and prove beyond a doubt your full of it.

And you still havent backed up anything you said with any kind of facts. You just come on here and pretend to be in the know of everything SOE like your Smedley himself. When you start getting cornered on a bunch of things you start pulling the "My friend told me" line, like that will help you.

Your credentials and your imaginary friend's credentials dont exist. If you have an opinion fine. Everyone has one. But dont state it as fact unless you got some evidence as such other then your word because we all have seen how far your word goes...

Kai

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

As someone that just recently let there account expire i have a different take on the game as it currently stands........

Wasn't planning to leave but mother nature loss of power and real life intrupted game life for a while. So the account expired during the time i had no axcess to internet or power in the house due to hurricane.

We turned out ok. But there just wasn't time to re up the account or deal with that when power returned cause of to many real life things to take care of first.

But some recent issues that affected me as a player comes to mind as to why i will most likely keep the breaks on for a bit longer. No i do not hate the game

After cu we had patch after patch that had big issues and continued to change game play. THen the continual hot fixes after the patch even most recent patches a few weeks ago had to be re hot fixed in some cases several times.

I was tickled to hear them address fishing one of the things i enjoyed about the game

However game play has changed in the past six months. THere were huge issues with appearing and dissapearing spawns /lairs  missions all which generaly had work arounds

I did enjoy parts of cu esepcaily being albe to just go play without buffs, however the level geared crud and lack of static areas to hunt as in other level based games got to be a drag.

Many of the pals that returned after cu left again with the on set of a few opses patches

and i missed the consitancy of game play. I saw some choppiness in the graphics after one patch and it took away from the fun i was having.

I never cared about all the jedi, to busy doing my own thing, but did find i missed certain standards of game play such as consistancy and fluidness . The display of experiance bothered me the stupid flying numbers above the head was a distraction i also missed combat spam noting how much damage i was doing to the mob and how much others in the group damage was doing to the mob

The other thing came to mind, we got a neat email from both wow and camelot telling us not to worry bout account status. I was so tickled about that to have a bright spot in weird times was really neat.

So at this time in between taking care of other things i'm playing the other stuff for now.

I may re look at this offering when i acatuly hear smuggler stuff on test center. I have heard it all before it's coming it's coming. ( yea i believe that) but in the end it boils down to i was tickled in the interest daoc showed to me during our struggles as well as wow. Reguardless of marketing ploy or not it worked, and made a difference, in how we felt about each company.

i do not think the game swg  is doomed i am glad for the changes coming to scouts and squad leaders, rangers, they deserve some love ...........

as far as worth it its up to u, for now break time is needed for me and i do not know if they changed the display of experaince and the flying numbers but that sure was mesy looking, so was not seeing combat spam missed it............

No I am a "Wont believe it til see it, even if the developers said it" person because I know SOE.

Go look at the past threads here and the replies to your crap. Or do you just post stuff at random and ignore any replies thinking your right and everyone else wrong no matter what?

So many times you have just jumped and stated something as fact then have someone else come along and prove beyond a doubt your full of it.

And you still havent backed up anything you said with any kind of facts. You just come on here and pretend to be in the know of everything SOE like your Smedley himself. When you start getting cornered on a bunch of things you start pulling the "My friend told me" line, like that will help you.

Your credentials and your imaginary friend's credentials dont exist. If you have an opinion fine. Everyone has one. But dont state it as fact unless you got some evidence as such other then your word because we all have seen how far your word goes...

Kai

I'd still like to know where I've been proven wrong. The only comment I made that was battled with any hard numbers was about subscriptions...

I've said subscriptions are down. They are down. I've said they factor in the Access pass subscribers to their cooked books of subscribers.. and they do, but that can't be proven externally. NOR can they be disproven unless $OE releases the hard numbers to an independant audit. They won't.

Everything else I have stated have been my opinion. Based on facts and how I interpret them. Some of the facts come from trends, what I read in non-$OE websites, and what I am told by reliable sources.

For example, the server consolidation issue. It is coming. Others say it isn't. But you can't look at various facts that support it.

1. House Pack-up
    2. Further relaxing of galaxy transfer restrictions.. now with EVERYTHING except your Jedi.
    3. Free transfers to Brians..
    4. Look what they did within SECONDS of taking hold of MxO? HALVED THEIR SERVERS.
    5. Less servers = less maintenence = less $$$$$

Now the people who say it isn't going to happen claim the devs said it isn't. Some argument. They've said a boatload that they've had to retract. It's a matter of WHEN.

You can disagree... doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• BreteBrete Member Posts: 85

Yah and we are just supposed to take your word for it. Everyone here has proven you pull things out of thin air several times. Now you expect us to believe you........ Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Maybe you should go check it out.

Kai

Kai

I'd still like to know where I've been proven wrong. The only comment I made that was battled with any hard numbers was about subscriptions...

I've said subscriptions are down. They are down. I've said they factor in the Access pass subscribers to their cooked books of subscribers.. and they do, but that can't be proven externally. NOR can they be disproven unless $OE releases the hard numbers to an independant audit. They won't.

Everything else I have stated have been my opinion. Based on facts and how I interpret them. Some of the facts come from trends, what I read in non-$OE websites, and what I am told by reliable sources.

For example, the server consolidation issue. It is coming. Others say it isn't. But you can't look at various facts that support it.

1. House Pack-up
    2. Further relaxing of galaxy transfer restrictions.. now with EVERYTHING except your Jedi.
    3. Free transfers to Brians..
    4. Look what they did within SECONDS of taking hold of MxO? HALVED THEIR SERVERS.
    5. Less servers = less maintenence = less $$$$$

Now the people who say it isn't going to happen claim the devs said it isn't. Some argument. They've said a boatload that they've had to retract. It's a matter of WHEN.

You can disagree... doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

There was a thread a month or so ago on my galaxie forum ( Farstar ) about servers merging and the general belief was that i couldnt happen due to things such as resources and duplicate names etc etc , well i personally believe that it will happen , its very unfortunate but i honestly believe its coming image

I dont know or care if they merge servers. But I do know a developer at the last big Star Wars convention in Canada, told me directly, that server mergers would be more costly and cause more to leave then to not have them. Why you ask? According to him.....

First player cities would have to go. And alot of those player cities took along time to grow. They know they would lose whole chunks of the player base if they server merged just from that part.

Second is the database. It is far to unstable and too buggy to start playing musical servers. The database is the cause of a large percentage of the bugs we have now. It would cost millions and take months to get the database replaced and stablized. He basically said "You know the disappearing house and character bug? Well imagine it hitting about 1,000 players at once if servers were merged."

Looted items like legendary weapons or high end tissues would be the next problem. Only a certain number are allowed per server. What happens when there are 16 legendary weapons instead of 8? That means there is literally zero chance of getting one.

Lastly is the resources. Crafters have the worst time after a transfer then anyone else. Because they cant transfer resources or money. So it takes them awhile to get back on their feet (with shipwrights even longer) even with help.

So that is that. He said if they shut down or merged servers, they expected to lose at least half the players on the affected server/s.

I personally told him my system I thought up and he said he liked it but he doubts they would ever merge servers because SWG is built around growth not shrinkage.

Edit: Also just remembered he said the reason datapads cant go with you in a transfer isnt because of personal desire its because it causes a major bug. And where do housepacks store?

Kai

I dont know or care if they merge servers. But I do know a developer at the last big Star Wars convention in Canada, told me directly, that server mergers would be more costly and cause more to leave then to not have them. Why you ask? According to him.....
    First player cities would have to go. And alot of those player cities took along time to grow. They know they would lose whole chunks of the player base if they server merged just from that part.
    Second is the database. It is far to unstable and too buggy to start playing musical servers. The database is the cause of a large percentage of the bugs we have now. It would cost millions and take months to get the database replaced and stablized. He basically said "You know the disappearing house and character bug? Well imagine it hitting about 1,000 players at once if servers were merged."
    Looted items like legendary weapons or high end tissues would be the next problem. Only a certain number are allowed per server. What happens when there are 16 legendary weapons instead of 8? That means there is literally zero chance of getting one.
    Lastly is the resources. Crafters have the worst time after a transfer then anyone else. Because they cant transfer resources or money. So it takes them awhile to get back on their feet (with shipwrights even longer) even with help.
    So that is that. He said if they shut down or merged servers, they expected to lose at least half the players on the affected server/s.
    I personally told him my system I thought up and he said he liked it but he doubts they would ever merge servers because SWG is built around growth not shrinkage.
    Edit: Also just remembered he said the reason datapads cant go with you in a transfer isnt because of personal desire its because it causes a major bug. And where do housepacks store?
    Kai

If that were the status-quo, then I'd believe it. But they have been working harder and harder on making transfers possible. They have added money to the transfer, and there is still work being done on it. They are actively working on this more and more each patch. You can NOW transfer money... and they're working on everything else.

Bria is the first test. They have major server issues, so they give them a free out. They dangle a carrot, and see how it will go.

That's the hurdle. There's less populated servers that would be given the option of a free move. They'd probably try to dangle some incentive their way.

It'd be like the Gaza strip... first you try to entice them to leave.. then get more stern,. then forcibly eject them. Granted, it'll be after they actually commit to the character purge.. which was the inspiration for the house pack-up. Stagnant characters with houses will automatically get packed up and stored. Then once the landscape is cleared, and the ghost towns dissolved... then they are another step towards consolidation.

It really doesn't matter if it is going to make the community mad. If they think it is good for THEIR bottom line, they'll do it. Just look at the CU. There's a point where they'll accept that the people they drove away are long gone, delete them and merge the servers to save them a ton of cash.

That IS if the game is still around in a year.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Why would you think a merger is coming? SWG is in the top 10 PC games in SALES the last few months. Its gonna be a long time until that happens. (why its in the top 10 in sales is beyond me....I guess there are a lot of people wo want to play Jedis lol)

If that were the status-quo, then I'd believe it. But they have been working harder and harder on making transfers possible. They have added money to the transfer, and there is still work being done on it. They are actively working on this more and more each patch. You can NOW transfer money... and they're working on everything else.
    But there is still the database trouble. It has been said, not only by developers but by Oracle and by people in the know, that the database would have to be replaced or stripped and repaired. Either of these choices would take many millions and a long time to get done. As greedy as SOE/LA is ($29.99 for an expansion that still looks about like splitpaw), they will not do it.
    Bria is the first test. They have major server issues, so they give them a free out. They dangle a carrot, and see how it will go.
    That's the hurdle. There's less populated servers that would be given the option of a free move. They'd probably try to dangle some incentive their way.
    Bria was an accident. Not a test. That would be like calling 9/11 a test for building strength. And if it was a test then its failing horribly since most havent and wont leave.
    It'd be like the Gaza strip... first you try to entice them to leave.. then get more stern,. then forcibly eject them. Granted, it'll be after they actually commit to the character purge.. which was the inspiration for the house pack-up. Stagnant characters with houses will automatically get packed up and stored. Then once the landscape is cleared, and the ghost towns dissolved... then they are another step towards consolidation.
    Housepacks are stored in the datapads and transferring large amounts of datapads at once causes all sorts of mayhem to every server affected.
    It really doesn't matter if it is going to make the community mad. If they think it is good for THEIR bottom line, they'll do it. Just look at the CU. There's a point where they'll accept that the people they drove away are long gone, delete them and merge the servers to save them a ton of cash.
    That IS if the game is still around in a year.
    It wont be good for their bottom line and that is what you seem to fail to grasp. If they did a server merger, even on the lowest, populated servers they stand to lose half or more of those players. And right now, I dont care what anybody says, SWG is just barely surviving.

SWG was built for growth. It was built thinking it would never get lower then the original 22 servers. Now its 27 I think not counting the japanese server/s. If they have the money to survive a server merger then they wouldnt need to do one anyway. But they dont.

They would have to give free transfers from the closing servers and not allow anymore transfers to the closing servers. Then just wait 6 months until the population has whittled itself down so they could survive. But they wont last 6 months if they do that so its pointless.

Better to try to bring the players instead of packing things up. And if you would stop listening to your imaginary friends you would see this is exactly the action they are taking with all the recent patches. House pack up was actually something players have been requesting since the first house dropped. Just like the Imperial hat. You prolly think that was a sign of closing too..

Kai