Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Guild Wars be included in MMORPG rankings?

fuzbyonefuzbyone Member Posts: 2

Highest Ranked MMORPGs
#1 --- Guild Wars --- Rating: 8.4

Everytime I post about Guild Wars comparing MMORPG's someone bashes me for considering it comparable to other MMORPGs.

The first graphical MMORPG was Neverwinter Nights by designer Don Daglow and programmer Cathryn Mataga, which went live on AOL in 1991 and ran through 1997. The project was personally championed and green-lighted by AOL founder Steve Case, and cost $6.00 per hour to play.

The difference is Guild Wars limited the number of players in combat to 8 PvE, and 16 PvP max. In towns there is no hard limit. Neverwinter Nights had no limits in combat or in towns.

but then:

The Realm Online was a successful early MMORPG, launched by Sierra Online in 1996

Realm online was called a MMORPG. The combat in that game works like this. You touch a monster roaming (Similar to NPC's). Then get teleported to a new screen which excludes everything outside of your fight, with a max of 4 players per combat. This is similar to Guild Wars because it has unlimited non-combat players, but limited combat to 4.

Ultima Online (1997) is credited with popularizing the genre
Now this was the first true MMORPG, in my opinion. In my mind, the idea of MMORPG and the definition should be allowing MASSIVE NUMBERS of PLAYERS to join together and fight bosses(PvE) or other players(PvP). You cannot deny that UO was the first true MMORPG.

In UO, we had groups of 20+ players taking down dragons (BIG bosses), and massive scale PvP battles that were never heard of.

Launched in March 1999 by Verant and later aquired by Sony Online Entertainment, EverQuest drove fantasy MMORPGs into the Western mainstream

Hate the company, not the game. I loved this game, and miss it still. The standard to all other future MMORPG's.

Many magazines and gaming companies, this website, Wikipedia dictionary, and many official sources officially claim Guild Wars is a MMORPG.

Works Cited:
MMORPG - Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

Comments

• ikraikra Member Posts: 339

yep they should. Even if people would diss out that it is not mmorpg. But if it makes WoW fans feel good.. then remove guild wars in the rankings. Its better that way because there would be no more who is better fights.

i~ku~ra

yep they should. Even if people would diss out that it is not mmorpg. But if it makes WoW fans feel good.. then remove guild wars in the rankings. Its better that way because there would be no more who is better fights.

i~ku~ra

• FizblixFizblix Member UncommonPosts: 130

if GW qualified as a mmorpg, then diablo 2 would as well....which D2 does not.

only difference is in diablo 2, you are in a chatroom for the non-instanced areas, and the towns are in the instances...

Mostly Harmless Guild   ♦  Youtube  ♦  Sponsored by Mr. Beer
  • swiftanswiftan Member Posts: 29

Why not? Guildwars have elements of MMO and its massively too. I vote for a yes!

• klimenklimen Member Posts: 7
    mhm
  • exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

why the hell this thread must be in here ? put in the mmorpg page forum , i dont give a dam if the game is not ranked in mmorpg , i  do care if you make that question in the guildwars forum ...

this forum is completey high jacked by wow kids , and the mods seam to be enjoying ... CRAP

• bhagamubhagamu Member Posts: 425

But ArenaNet even says that it isn't an MMORPG.

www.draftgore.com
    Gore '08

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I believe it should be. However, Diablo II shares most of the same elements as Guild Wars and I don't see Diablo II on the MMOPRG.com rankings. Or even mentioned for that matter....

thats what i mean , its a complete SPAM of crap ... no one says it a mmorpg , so just remove it from this crapy comunity ... its all flames anyway ...

GUILWARS IS FOR NON SQUARE INTELIGENT PEOPLE ...

remove it from this site !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let the admins decide on that... but since its here, teh admins clearly want it to be here unless they change their minds of course

i~ku~ra

• BonzarBonzar Member Posts: 176

Actually, NWN for AOL did have a limit on combat, only 10 people could fit on one square in the game (the game world was viewed FPS style and you walked around an invisible grid just like all the other "goldbox" AD&D games of the era) so only 10 people could be in any one battle at a time. That was my first MMORPG and man do I miss the community, PvP (no melee?! WHAT IS THAT?), and ridiculously easy power leveling mixed with loot grabbing. Even though it was turn based combat and would get laggy as hell (not to mention hella expensive) I thought it was a great game. PvE was intense and very strategic. I wonder if anyone will resurrect it like with Meridian 59.

Anyway, yeah Guild Wars is a hybrid MMORPG and yes it belongs on this site. I say that because it offers an easy to enjoy alternative to games like WoW. Being 23 and working hard here in New York City to stay alive doesn't afford me the 4 hours plus a night I need to enjoy games like EQ, FF XI, and the such. With Guild Wars I can jump on and bam, I'm having fun. Maybe if the others didn't ask me to spend 15 dollars a month to play once or twice a week I'd be more apt to go back to any of them.

• SamppaXSamppaX Member Posts: 7

Yes... Why not? ::::12::

Confirmed

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Had GW been the very first successful online game it would have been the standard of what an mmorpg is.

Since other games have set a standard it is hard to call GW an MMORPG but I just believe that is "splitting hairs"

It has the heart of a mmorpg. You log in, make a toon, meet up with people and do quests (and pvp).  So sure... it is an mmorpg..

However... because other games have set a standard it is hard to compare this game and say whether it should/shouldn't be here. Some of the game is not like standard mmorpg's and therefore will dissapoint some who are expecting to log in and grind (or open pvp).

Fact of the matter is, it belongs here but people should do research and truly find out whether or not the game is of interest...

Simple as that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo