Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what would be the best support job

NiziborNizibor Member Posts: 131
Im going to be an elf/ranger and i was wondering what would be the best support job i was thinking about a red mage.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Well for the first 30 levels, you're going to be something else before you become a Ranger... and if Ranger's going to be your main class.. ammo cost gil, so be a profession you can make decent gil with (personally I'd consider thief)

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• SamusicSamusic Member CommonPosts: 466
    Or just do like I did and make all your arrows. You're gonna go through thousands and thousand of them. You might as well save yourself the massive amount of money and make them yourself. Plus, you'll get to be a pretty good woodworker and you can craft to make some nice money. I really do believe rangers were meant to craft their own arrows. They get an ability called Scavenge at level 10 that allows them to search the area for things to craft with.

• RagansyRagansy Member Posts: 20
    does the class you play up to 30 have any effect on your stats and things to that extent once you switch your basic class to an advanced one?  like would say playing a monk up to 30, then switching my main to a dark night work the same as if i was a theif up to 30 then did the same? or is it basicly when your class changes your stats change too?

"Don't tell me to go to hell when you don't know what heaven is"

"Don't tell me to go to hell when you don't know what heaven is"

• Sensei_KaelsSensei_Kaels Member Posts: 277
    hmm..everyone seems to want o be a ranger. Yes, i believe elvaan would be best. I would like to make a ranger with something, not sure about support class. also I think a taru-taru black mage/summoner would be good offensive mage.

• NiziborNizibor Member Posts: 131
    a theif may not be a bad idea and i dont mind making my own arrows i injoy it at times the only thing bad about a ranger is they dont have all that much magic

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    Abraham Lincoln

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    I think that wouldn't be fair if you could use magic and be a ranger... doesn't make sence either. . .

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?
    I dont mean they can use all the spell just a few more. that wouldnt be so bad.

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    Hmm...

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?

I've switched my decision. I've been reading up on that new website that I found under news room. And I have decided that I want my main job to be Dark Knight, and my Sub-job to be either bard-white mage-or theif.

Bard-I could use songs and fight at same time, to enhance my stats/dmg/defense/etc. But if you have instruments, this may not be possible

White mage-would help me get into groups at earlier levels, being healer and all. and would help with less downtime with my main job (DK)

Theif-could help me do some extra dmg/hide(if you can use sub's passive/abilities). Also, it could help me get some extra cash, with theiving and all.

Any opinions?

Originally posted by Ragansy
    does the class you play up to 30 have any effect on your stats and things to that extent once you switch your basic class to an advanced one?  like would say playing a monk up to 30, then switching my main to a dark night work the same as if i was a theif up to 30 then did the same? or is it basicly when your class changes your stats change too?

In all seriousness, guys, this had been gone over serveral times. I really don't wanna answer the same question over and over. Read carefully. If you leveled monk up to level 30, then did the dark knight quest and got dark knight, then made dark knight your main job and monk your support job you would be a level 1/1 dark knight monk. The stats and skills you'd have from the monk would be just like you were level one monk. Once you got dark knight to level 2 your monk would still be one. Once you got your dark knight to three your monk would still be one. Then, once your dark knight level has gone to four, your monk level will be two. Your support job can only be half the level of your main job, and your stats and abilities in that job would reflect that.

Originally posted by Djin
    I think that wouldn't be fair if you could use magic and be a ranger... doesn't make sence either. . .

The job system in FFXI allows you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want to do. I, myself, was a ranger/white mage. I was a white mage in the beginning because I just wanted to be. Pretty early on I decided I really wanted to be a ranger. I still liked being a white mage, so I stuck with it.

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673
    Hehe, Samusic may not like the Darknight/White Mage combo lol =P. He got really angry in another thread about Warrior / White Mages. Actually, now that I think of it, that kinda bothers me too... you're right Samusic. Darknight / White mage is different though, I think that sounds pretty neat =)

• Mattdawgy64Mattdawgy64 Member Posts: 37

The best combo for a first timer is a warrior and a Black mage.  Thats my opininion.

Or a Warrior and a White mage image

Shamu*-any opinions on my selection. And do you have an answer for my bard question.

"can you use bard songs wihtout using instruments" i.e. fight as dark knight and use bard songs to buff u/group?

also, is sleep the "mez" for the game?

Subbing a mage job with a melee job doesn't work out very well (except for dark knight and paladin) because, not only do you only get the spells half your level, but you have a very small amount of MP and you would hardly use the magic. Being a dark knight/white mage is just a digression from your main job. If you're looking to be able to cure yourself because of your smaller defense, it won't happen. You'd be getting hit a lot, and you would have to be curing yourself nearly constantly in order to do that when you could just be fighting as a dark knight. There are white mages for that (and paladins). You can cast songs without an instrument but, not only would you have half the songs of your level, you could only have one song effect at a time because of not having an instrument.

• VelricVelric Member UncommonPosts: 140

Originally posted by Djin

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

Actually, Dungeons and Dragons, the dranddaddy of ALL Rokeplaying games has always had Rangers as a magic casting class. They tended to gain a few spells around 9th level. Nothing to powerful, but it was defintely handy.

Yea in alot of games a ranger has a decent amount of magic..........why did they change an elf to slow and stupid when in all of the games and movies they are saw as quick and smart?

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

Elvaans aren't slow and stupid. They're not as quick as Mithra, but it doesn't mean that they're slow and stupid. Race doesn't have near as much weight in playing a job as how well you play the job, how updated your equipment is, etc.

• Soulhunter7Soulhunter7 Member Posts: 4
    After seeing the screen shots of the Dragoons, i think it maybe cool the have a pet dragon following you around to kick some butt or atleast toast some marshmellows with some dragon fire. image

"A Wizard is never late or early, he shows up exactly when he plans to."

"A Wizard is never late or early, he shows up exactly when he means to."