Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what goes into making an mmorpg?

I was just being curious on how mmorpg's like WoW, everquest 2, city of heros/villains, ect. get made. what types of programes do designers use? how do they get every action/reaction to work. what basically goes in to make mmmorpgs actuallly be a working game?

Comments

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312

Coding, working the graphics engine, setting up scripts.. lots and lots of work, and with all the MMORPG's coming out, if you're thinking you're going to homebrew one.. all I have to say to that is: Good luck, you'll need it.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I got to visit Rapid Reality (www.mmocenter.com) in their Studio. I watched the concept artist go to town, I watched 2 rooms of 3D artists and modelers making those drawings come true. I watched the programmers and scripters pounding code like no tomorrow. I saw business phone calls being taken... official posts on the Forums being made and proofread... terrain and enviorments being constructed in a whole other room.
    Now, that's my first game studio I've ever been in. But I'd like to imagine it's fairly similar sort of look/feel across most of them. Probably some of the bigger wigs have cubicals, and RR didn't have those.
    The link at the bottom of my sig links to a thank you letter I wrote them, complete with pictures I took while in the Studio... it kinda gives you a look at what it looks like in there.

Now as far as the programs they used? There was 3D Studio Max, Visual Studio, some other programs I can't meantion... I think Notepad. Photoshop was definately 1.

I'm not advertising... I'm just stating from a gamer who's been in a studio.

EDIT: Here's that link:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameID/196/showArticle/3378

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."