Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R U Addicted ?

Hi i am a 4th year student studying MMORPG addictivity in scotland.

was just interested in hearing from any addicts in here and if they have any comments about mmorpg addictionimage

Comments

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

I'm sure what you asking.... the green is wonderfull by the way.

Many others have taken samples on this topic, do a google search, you can also look here. http://www.nickyee.com/codeblue/addiction.html

-=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.
    A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• Sensei_KaelsSensei_Kaels Member Posts: 277
    I used to be addicted to everquest when it was fun. I just wanted to play it all the time, but ive quit..so it sucks. any game i havent liked as much as ive liked eq, but thats bound to change once new ones come out this winter. Btw, the addiction improved my behavior in school, and actually upped my grades..weird

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

yea ok you might want this...MMORPG addictions are strong

hear my story....

when i got the game over the summer (EQ< and no school spells trouble)

well anyway I used to get up at about 7, and just go on EQ till about 9, then i would go and eat something realy qcuik, then i would go back.......

i would get off again at about 3 and eat seomthing (by getting off, i mean about 5 mins)

then once again at like 11

i would then go to sleep at 3

wake up at 7

etc etc etc...

for all 60 daysimage

now THATS a mmo addiction

when i had to go somewhere with my family, i would get all sweaty etc...because i needed to get on (it was like crack)

basically the WHOLE summer i was thinking of EQ...i used to DREAM about it!

*well now im happy to say that i have gone 1 year and 2 months without EQ...im a recovering addictimage

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

Read my post...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm?loadforum=468&loadthread=4771&setstart=1&loadclass=35

...says it all

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I was an Evercrack addict for a few years, then left because one day I woke up and realized that playing the game was more of a dedication, a job... a chore that I had to put 10 hours into a day in hopes of leveling up. It was no longer fun... so I left. But after sampling almost every other major MMORPG, I've come to realize that there has yet to be a game that was "overall" as addictive or fun (for the most part) like EQ for me.

But, as to the thought behind "addiction", let's face it, you have the best of BOTH online worlds.

The Game: Games make up more revenue than the music or movie industry combined... so there are a lot of "gamers" out there...

The Chat: When you're fed up with the game aspect for a while, you have chat to fall back on... and there's thousands of chat monkeys who are just as addicted to jumping online and getting into chat rooms as there are MMORPG addicts.

So take both of those, roll it up... tadaa... mmorpg :D

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• RleabRleab Member Posts: 30

bah im not addicted, i just have a knack for excessive play image

but anyways its impossible to be addicted (by definition i think is the NEED of something or to do something)to a video game.Its more like a person enjoys a game sooo much they spend more time on then they should.besides i highly doubt someone in here will get sick and die because they lost the game. hehehe but thats meimage

EDIT: thats what happens when you get addicted to ciggarettes and suddenly quit the sick part anyways.

---------
    Who said games rotted the mind?

---------

heh

but as you can see, EverQuest was the most addicting...theres somthing in it

because i also played the following...but by how long i played them...you can see i did NOT get addicted

$20 DAoC = 14 days

$40 Shadowbane = 45mins

$30 Anarchy Online = 1 month

see....everquest is just...addictingimage

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

The only real mmorpg i've played is star wars galaxies. I didn't even play it for the full free trial i was so bored with it. Although i have played other games for quite a long time but i wouldn't say i was addicited.

I would basically play maybe 3 hours a day but whenever something came up like going to see a movie or doing something outside, i would be off right away. Being addicted is not being able to do anything else except eat, sleep,school and play the game.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

You can study this crap in school now?!  Geez...

What are you going to be when you're out of school...

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?
     Even if you do discover games are highly addictive, games will live forever no matter what, MUAHAHA.

Originally posted by Djin

You can study this crap in school now?!  Geez...
    What are you going to be when you're out of school...

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

i was thinking the SAME thing

they have mmo addiction profession fields now?

i mean....image

• phunkymunkeyphunkymunkey Member Posts: 83

Look up the definition for addiction before you say that games aren't addictive. Or pot isn't addictive.  And examine how denial fits into the equation.

I tapped the vein on classic UO some years ago.  Think about how excessive play affects reality- job, sleep etc.

Something to think on:

The more time you spend in that world, the less you are a part of this one.  When you turn the computer off, who are you?

S

he

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I played UO for four years... still went to work, school and didn't want to kill myself.

I guess I wasn't addicted...  or was I?

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?

richi truxillo lost his girlfriend

many...MANY eq'ers and other mmo goers lost their wives due to mmo's..

tahts an addictionimage

Originally posted by MurtBijani

richi truxillo lost his girlfriend
    many...MANY eq'ers and other mmo goers lost their wives due to mmo's..
    tahts an addictionimage

And the other wives joined in on the fun image

lol

they started a club called EQ widows

Well sorry phunky if i got it wrong...but did you read my post thorough?i said in there about my defintion this:the definition i THINK (keyword) is blah blah blah...so if it was wrong sorry...but really is it addiction or just the person?(MY opinion if you don't like o well)

EDIT:I'll revise my definition: Addiction is the PHYSICAL and MENTAL NEED of something.and if you don't get what you need you could suffer   physically like sickness and disease.(i.e. ciggarettes)Can a game cause you to be physically harmed if you can't play it?

---------

---------

• silverbladesilverblade Member Posts: 52
    Well, IMHO I think that all forms of escapism can be addicted.  I lived on a remote farm and was hopelessly addicted to AD & D when I was at school.  MMORPGs and high end computers and comp games were not around then or I would have probably been addicted to them.  Now however I still play comp games, EQ and others but am can easily get up and move away from them.  There is surely a correlation from your addictive level to anything and what is happening in you life at the time.  I can see how appealing it is to get lost into a virtual world than to have your existence stamped out for you in the real world.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

"No baby i cant have sex.. i need to get a level up"

thats just sick... i love rpgs.. but would i ditch my girl... HELL NO!!!!

Ohh Im So Scary... BOO

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    new flash : a car doesnt get you sex

Ohh Im So Scary... BOO

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    Change the subject. Thanks image

-- STAFF

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

id rather have a leet pc than a ragedy carimage

• Dark_VengeanceDark_Vengeance Member Posts: 33

I think it's pretty clear that the whole "MMOG Addiction" issue is about escapists who can't prioritize. Calling it an addiction is just a way for those people to dismiss any personal responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

You make choices, and often these so-called "MMOG addicts" CHOOSE to play marathon sessions instead of doing other things. Just because those people have a lack of self-discipline and self-control does not make them addicted. 

Bring the noise.

Cheers...............

....i wasnt addicted....

imageimageimage

Originally posted by Dark_Vengeance

I think it's pretty clear that the whole "MMOG Addiction" issue is about escapists who can't prioritize. Calling it an addiction is just a way for those people to dismiss any personal responsibility for their own actions and decisions.
    You make choices, and often these so-called "MMOG addicts" CHOOSE to play marathon sessions instead of doing other things. Just because those people have a lack of self-discipline and self-control does not make them addicted. 
    Bring the noise.
    Cheers...............

YAY soemone who agrees with me *cheers* image

---------

---------