Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update on Pearl drops (dev post)

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
The "rare" pearls are simply ones which dropped from very high level creatures. What changed was that combat upgrade altered the levels of creatures. So where a pearl might before have been considered "premium" because it dropped from a level 287 creature, now it isn't considered premium because the creature dropping the pearl isn't level 287 any more.

The possible stats that a pearl can give you are the same, regardless of the pearl quality. The only advantage a "premium" pearl gives you is a better chance of getting higher stats. "Fixing pearls" would be a matter of changing the level ranges for different quality pearls. This would be a retroactive change which would suddenly change all the pearls in the game to be high-level pearls, increasing the power of Jedi globally and almost instantly - Unless we simultaneously lowered the advantage of premium pearls so that they don't give as much an increase to the odds of getting higher stats as they do now.

We would rather keep the premium pearls as they are - highly desirable and much better (in terms of the odds of getting higher stats) than normal pearls, but not drop them as casually as they dropped in the past. These should be rare, elite quest rewards and very high-end, elite-monster drops - not things that players "farm" from creatures that are no match for the player.

Tiggs

Comments

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Erillion

The "rare" pearls are simply ones which dropped from very high level creatures. What changed was that combat upgrade altered the levels of creatures. So where a pearl might before have been considered "premium" because it dropped from a level 287 creature, now it isn't considered premium because the creature dropping the pearl isn't level 287 any more.

The possible stats that a pearl can give you are the same, regardless of the pearl quality. The only advantage a "premium" pearl gives you is a better chance of getting higher stats. "Fixing pearls" would be a matter of changing the level ranges for different quality pearls. This would be a retroactive change which would suddenly change all the pearls in the game to be high-level pearls, increasing the power of Jedi globally and almost instantly - Unless we simultaneously lowered the advantage of premium pearls so that they don't give as much an increase to the odds of getting higher stats as they do now.

We would rather keep the premium pearls as they are - highly desirable and much better (in terms of the odds of getting higher stats) than normal pearls, but not drop them as casually as they dropped in the past. These should be rare, elite quest rewards and very high-end, elite-monster drops - not things that players "farm" from creatures that are no match for the player.

Tiggs

So let me get this straight. They cant make smuggler tools retroactively stack. They cant make loot items cange retroactively. They cant make Republic Blasters retroactively change. BUT a jedi and his pearl can be changed retroactively??

Sounds like yet more SOE/LA double talk and bullspit.

Kai

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by kaibigan34

So let me get this straight. They cant make smuggler tools retroactively stack. They cant make loot items cange retroactively. They cant make Republic Blasters retroactively change. BUT a jedi and his pearl can be changed retroactively??
    Sounds like yet more SOE/LA double talk and bullspit.
    Kai

Kai being cynical about SOE/LA??? Call Ripleys!!! imageimage I thought pearl drops were to make your teeth whiter? image

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Originally posted by anarchyart
     I thought pearl drops were to make your teeth whiter?

Only in the 70s.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Sounds fine.  What else is planned to be fixed with that? If that is all that is getting patched the out of touch developer player relations continues.  There are 26 + other professions that need attention more then worrying about jedi having good pearls and worrying about the economics of the pearl "market" on the trade forums. 

Is anyone complaining lightsabers need to be nerfed? I haven't seen a post on any boards proclaiming that.  Is that on the list of top 10 issues any correspondent posted? 

My guess is no.  So the developers continue to work where no one in the game really cares about. Pearl drop rates.  That is the issue with this game.  Who directs the development staff work load.  This is not an issue I have heard players complain that pearls where to plentiful.  Well except those who wanted to sell them at 5 million each.

• Master_ShakeMaster_Shake Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by haxxjoo

Sounds fine.  What else is planned to be fixed with that? If that is all that is getting patched the out of touch developer player relations continues.  There are 26 + other professions that need attention more then worrying about jedi having good pearls and worrying about the economics of the pearl "market" on the trade forums. 
    Is anyone complaining lightsabers need to be nerfed? I haven't seen a post on any boards proclaiming that.  Is that on the list of top 10 issues any correspondent posted? 
    My guess is no.  So the developers continue to work where no one in the game really cares about. Pearl drop rates.  That is the issue with this game.  Who directs the development staff work load.  This is not an issue I have heard players complain that pearls where to plentiful.  Well except those who wanted to sell them at 5 million each.

first the issue of new jedi not being able to make a saber with the same damage that jedi can that were around to farm premi's would not even be an issue if the devs wouldnt have introduced ADK's. the highest dps saber would have evened out with the average dps saber atleast proportionatly by now without ADK's. players that were able to farm the pearls before now have an uber (atleast against other jedi, or PVP'rs that don't have a clue what they are doing) saber for life

second. people have been complaining. for four months now. yes mainly jedi. but the issue of premium pearls not dropping has been raised for four months now without the devs making even such of a peep about it... until now. and their response now is.. "we're not going to fix it... because it's too much work"

third. the reason why jedi's raise such a stink about their sabers is because they are severley underpowered compared to the other lvl 54 weapons. when any other combat profession can get a capped out weapon with low sac by just going to the nearest vendor.. get it sliced to raise it's damage, or lower it's speed by 30%, and add pups that further enhance the weapon. it's only fair that jedi have atleast a chance to get better than "good" pearls for the saber.. and that their main and only weapon would atleast be on par with the highest damage non jedi lvl 54 weapon.

personally the whole situation is one entire clusterfook by the devs. not only is a lightsaber (that is supposed to be the most powerfull and dangerous personal weapon of the story) weaker than most other non-jedi weapons. but somehow all armor in the game is resistant to atleast half from lightsaber damage. if memory serves me correct there was only one metal in the SWG univers that was resistant to lightsabers, and it was very rare. hell even with the weakest lightsaber (there was no such thing) weapons and armor of the story stood no chance against it.. the devs could do one of two things at this point to clean up their mess. raise damage on lightsabers, or change their damage type back to the special "lightsaber damage" to give them the edge that they are supposed to have over conventional weapons and armor.

finally. thats not the only thing that is going to get fixed.. in fact they stated it's not going to get fixed because like i said it's too much work for them. it's a very long overdue announcement that they made concerning a problem thats was generated by the CU. If good to uber weapon enhancement loot stopped dropping all together you guys would be foaming at the mouth to the devs to get it fixed so you can have your capped out low sac weapons. take a look at the patch notes sometime n00bsauce. there are usually fixes (that a good part of the time don't work) for jedi.. because jedi have a lot of broken parts. there are also fixes for everything else that they could finish in time for the publish. show me one publish where every single part of it has been about jedi except for the jedi revamp publishes and i'll give you some reading lessons so you can correctly make out what it actually said.

by the way.. sorry if that sounded a little harsh. i've just grown tired to the brink of insanity of people complaining "why is eveything in the publishes for jedi" when it's obviously and every clearly not.

Yah they tried both raising the damage and making lightsaber damage no resists in the past. Both of these caused people to leave the game.

When a lightsaber can bypass all armor known and with a special can drop a player in one hit, it wasnt fun.

Jedi have been getting too much love. I say give them their precious lightsaber mods but only after permadeath is reinstated. LET THE PUNK HUNT BEGIN!!!!

Kai

Yah they tried both raising the damage and making lightsaber damage no resists in the past. Both of these caused people to leave the game.
    When a lightsaber can bypass all armor known and with a special can drop a player in one hit, it wasnt fun.
    Jedi have been getting too much love. I say give them their precious lightsaber mods but only after permadeath is reinstated. LET THE PUNK HUNT BEGIN!!!!
    Kai

from the looks of it.. you seem to have trouble reading publish notes. so I took a little time to compile them all here for you from swg wiki. enjoy

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_23_Notes_for_31_August_2005 - yep lots of jedi love.. 4 things. one was a nerf to cloak.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_22_Notes_for_16_August_2005 - holy crikies.. look at all that 1 thing for jedi.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_21_Notes_for_4_August_2005 - nothing for jedi in this publish.. but 5 things for those evil force sensitive players

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_20_Notes_for_19_July_2005 - oh noes! those jedi got two fixes in this publish! devs please work on the rest of the professions! (in case hooked on phonics didnt work for you.. 4 other proffessions got fixes as well)

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_19_Notes_for_29_June_2005 - w00t 29 fixes in this publish.. still pretty much drawfed by the 73 non jedi fixes.. not including the smuggler slicing changes.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_18_Notes_for_15_Jun_2005 - A staggering one fix for jedi.. unless you count the token respec.. which really affected everyone.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_17_Notes_for_26_May_2005 - three actual fixes.. and two UI icon fixes

omg.. your so right.. jedi are teh spoiled lil brats! i would think by now if you are any kind of adult with more brain function than a toaster oven. you would be able to admit that jedi are not the mamma's little boys to the devs that every anti-jedi player makes them out to be. and that you just personally hate jedi, and will sink to making false statments just for the chance to state how much you hate them.

and your right.. a lightsaber cannot pass through all known armor.. there are two metals (messed up last time and forgot the other one) cortosis, and phrik. that i know of are resistant to lightsabers to an extent. used in the manufacturing of armor (phrik was used in the construction of grevious's gaurds electrostaff's) could create a suit that would stand up to a jedi's strikes for atleast a period of time. and as far as i can read, and tell both are extremley rare. but until the developers decide to introduce this into armor crafting it's ridiculous to think that all armor in the galaxy is lightsaber resistant. if you can slice through a 3 foot block of steel like it was butter i doubt a composite (think carbon fiber) material amour suit would have two chits of a chance against deflecting a lightsaber strike. now i'm not saying there should be no protection what so ever. PSG's had lightsaber damage protection for a limited time after equiping them. that would make more sense than all armor having resists against lightsabers.

Originally posted by Master_Shake
    omg.. your so right.. jedi are teh spoiled lil brats! i would think by now if you are any kind of adult with more brain function than a toaster oven. you would be able to admit that jedi are not the mamma's little boys to the devs that every anti-jedi player makes them out to be. and that you just personally hate jedi, and will sink to making false statments just for the chance to state how much you hate them.

Oh how sweet. Too bad you didnt want to be proven wrong or you would have added the 2004 publishes where jedi got 2 full patches all to themselves.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_9_Notes_for_29_June_04

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_10_Notes_for_31_August_04

It was also in that patch where jedi got their own damage that no armor could resist except for PSGs and whined about that for a year. "OMG PSGs can stop a whopping 40% of our damage! No! Its too much to handle! Devs! Help us be uber l33t!"

Oh and did you forget the part about how they whined like little newbs to get permadeath and saber tef taken away and replaced with skill loss? I loved that one. Especially since the ones whining the loudest were also the ones that, months before jedi unlocked, were on the boards flaming anyone who said permadeath sounded harsh.

http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Publish_6_Notes:_11_February_04

After getting the PD removed and replaced with skill loss what did they do? They whined about that and got that taken also?

How about during 2004 and into 2005 when they would scream "NERF!" everytime someone even got close to beating them?

How about on the jedi forums where one thread told all of the really neato exploits the jedi could pull (never got deleted by a mod far as I know) yet one BH does one "questionable" exploit and in one hour there are 20 threads about it, chastising then poor guy in the jedi forums demanding a ban? Forget that?

Nice research. Next time dont just post the stuff that proves your case only.

So lets see. Smugglers are still pretty much the same as they when they first entered beta. Jedi have changed and retooled so many times its nuts. Hmmm and you think there isnt anything wrong with this?

Kai

so is this about the other 26 proffessions not getting any kind of updates or fixes at all? or just about smuggler? yes I, and just about eveyone else can agree that smuggler, commando, and squad leader needs some work. but are they still borked soley because of jedi? no. the two full patches that you talked about are the same two patches that i said "except the two jedi revamp publishes" that i mentioned when i asked one of you anti-jedi people to point out a publish (or string of publishes that some of you seem to think up out of thin air) that were 100% jedi. the reason for the jedi revamp? a majority of people at the time were asking for major changes to the jedi profession. jedi and non-jedi alike. and it was apparent to anyone that could look more than two inches past their own hate for jedi that the revamp was needed also.

the complaints about the PSG's wasn't as much about that they could deflect lightsaber damage for a limited amount of time.. it was that because of ADK's people were walking around with permanate lightsaber psg armor that wasnt intended.

and permadeath and skill loss? please. a normal profession loses nothing upon death if they clone and buy insurance. where as if a jedi gets ganked/greifed (usually by people with your elementary school yard mentality) they had to start all over. true XP loss was introduced as an alternative than wiping your character after every three deaths. it encouraged lvling jedi to keep a low profile if they didnt want any disturbances in their grind. you however as a normal profession don't have to deal with either. you actually have it, and have had it pretty easy as far as death goes. i'd like to see your reaction after the first few times your character, and all of your belongings gets wiped.

exploits? a good majority of players have exploited the game at one time or another.. sometimes without knowing it.. most of the time intentionally. the only postings on the jedi forum that i ever see are posts about exploits that have been used on them to warn other players to be on the look out for to report... or posts abotu exploits that a player has found and only posted it on the boards because the devs have turned a blind eye to it. I've seen just as many exploit threads in almost every other profession forum section in my time in swg.

and why not post stuff that proves my case only? thats exactly what you just did. in fact you didnt really prove your case. you just made yourself sound like a jackass that takes any chance he or she can get to bash jedi players.

your right.. smugglers have stayed the same.. if you leave out the changes to slicing. and jedi have gotten many changes. so have bounty hunters, armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, droid engineers, doctors, combat medics, creature handlers, entertainers, riflemen, swordsmen, pistoleers, fencers, TK's... and so on. your proving my point for me that you are nothing really but someone that likes to piss and moan about jedi no matter what it's about, or how insignifigant it is. but thats how it goes for the common SWG whinner eh? something wrong with your prof? BLAME JEDI! severs down? BLAME JEDI! stormies getting a little too friendly with their frisking? BLAME JEDI!

so is this about the other 26 proffessions not getting any kind of updates or fixes at all? or just about smuggler? yes I, and just about eveyone else can agree that smuggler, commando, and squad leader needs some work. but are they still borked soley because of jedi? no. the two full patches that you talked about are the same two patches that i said "except the two jedi revamp publishes" that i mentioned when i asked one of you anti-jedi people to point out a publish (or string of publishes that some of you seem to think up out of thin air) that were 100% jedi. the reason for the jedi revamp? a majority of people at the time were asking for major changes to the jedi profession. jedi and non-jedi alike. and it was apparent to anyone that could look more than two inches past their own hate for jedi that the revamp was needed also.
    The only reason jedi "deserved attention" was because the jedi became the SOE advertising platform. Smugglers were begging since release. Rangers, Crafters, etc all were begging even more loudly. But the marketing needed their advertising mules so jedi got love.
    the complaints about the PSG's wasn't as much about that they could deflect lightsaber damage for a limited amount of time.. it was that because of ADK's people were walking around with permanate lightsaber psg armor that wasnt intended.
    The screaming from jedi came about long before the ADKs hit. Go check the forums. You will see that. The ADKs just made the crybabies yell louder.
    and permadeath and skill loss? please. a normal profession loses nothing upon death if they clone and buy insurance. where as if a jedi gets ganked/greifed (usually by people with your elementary school yard mentality) they had to start all over. true XP loss was introduced as an alternative than wiping your character after every three deaths. it encouraged lvling jedi to keep a low profile if they didnt want any disturbances in their grind. you however as a normal profession don't have to deal with either. you actually have it, and have had it pretty easy as far as death goes. i'd like to see your reaction after the first few times your character, and all of your belongings gets wiped.
    Everyone knew about permadeath going in. Everyone knew about sabertef going in. And everyone was ok with that. Up until they saw it in action. Once they realized they had to be smart they got scared. And most werent smart. I played a jedi during permadeath. I played smart. I didnt go sit in a cantina and chat with friends for hours or go AFK while watching a movie. If you looked most of the ones screaming were the ones that were idiots. It wasnt hard to avoid detection. Just had to step a little further away from a spawn before igniting a saber. But no the kids wanted it quicker and easier. So they used the "We might get DCed and lose our jedi." as an excuse to get rid of permadeath. But still that wasnt the end of it. They didnt want skill loss either. And I guaruntee you if the developers  asked if they wanted xp loss gone they would jump on that quick.
    exploits? a good majority of players have exploited the game at one time or another.. sometimes without knowing it.. most of the time intentionally. the only postings on the jedi forum that i ever see are posts about exploits that have been used on them to warn other players to be on the look out for to report... or posts abotu exploits that a player has found and only posted it on the boards because the devs have turned a blind eye to it. I've seen just as many exploit threads in almost every other profession forum section in my time in swg.
    Ah I still remember the day I was on the jedi forums and there was a post asking how to best avoid a BH. 90% of it was exploits. The thread got reported a dozen times that I know of but never got locked or deleted. And on that same page was at least a half dozen threads whining about a BH who used a bomb droid exploit to kill a jedi hiding in his house. go check the forums.
    and why not post stuff that proves my case only? thats exactly what you just did. in fact you didnt really prove your case. you just made yourself sound like a jackass that takes any chance he or she can get to bash jedi players.
    Actually I did just prove my case twice and disproved yours but your too blind and egotistical to admit it. So no matter what I show you, you will always see only what you already believe. I could present you with signed testimony from developers, videos, a thousand statements from jedi, and more. You would still sit there and say it proves nothing. Because your that type of person.
    your right.. smugglers have stayed the same.. if you leave out the changes to slicing. and jedi have gotten many changes. so have bounty hunters, armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, droid engineers, doctors, combat medics, creature handlers, entertainers, riflemen, swordsmen, pistoleers, fencers, TK's... and so on. your proving my point for me that you are nothing really but someone that likes to piss and moan about jedi no matter what it's about, or how insignifigant it is. but thats how it goes for the common SWG whinner eh? something wrong with your prof? BLAME JEDI! severs down? BLAME JEDI! stormies getting a little too friendly with their frisking? BLAME JEDI!
    I dont blame the jedi on this. I blame SOE and LA because they were the ones that had the emmy award winning idea to put them in game like this. Remember "Jedi will be rare" we know how that turned out.

Your only right about one thing. I hate jedi. I have only met 5 that I liked. All the rest were egotistical neuvo reece little fleebs.

We had a player city next to a jedi city. We had a shuttle. The jedi city didnt. They used our shuttle. When we tried to ban them, they started ganking us while we ran missions and literally harrass us by sitting there and waiting for one of us to get TEF, insulting us, and so on. So we let them use the shuttle. CSRs told us it wasnt harrasment. It was part of the game.

Then one of guys got ganked by a jedi from the city because he got a tef from a trade. He went to the city a few days later and started in on one of their bases. When the leaders of the jedi guild found out about it they came over to our city and killed anyone of us that had tef or was overt. Now that almost wouldnt be bad except the leader tells us it was "punishment" for stepping out of line and if we think to do it again he will slap us down again. And these are rebels so they cant say they were roleplaying. Again the CSRs said it wasnt harrassment and it was part of the game.

A few weeks later I am on Dantooine hunting pikets and I get a tell from a jedi asking me if I will help him find a graul maruader. I am a master ranger at the time. I told him no. He then offered me 1 million. I told him I will not ever help a jedi and to stay away from me. I didnt curse or insult him. An hour later I get warned by a CSR for supposedly harrassing this poor pitiful jedi. I explain that I didnt harrass and he needs to check the chat logs. He tells me it doesnt matter and if I ever do it again I will be banned.

This is my basic dealings with jedi over the course of my time in game after they got rid of permadeath. When I came back to see the CU I saw more of the same additude. The "We are uber leet so bow down to us" additude.

Kai

The only reason jedi "deserved attention" was because the jedi became the SOE advertising platform. Smugglers were begging since release. Rangers, Crafters, etc all were begging even more loudly. But the marketing needed their advertising mules so jedi got love.
    so your saying that no profession other than jedi got needed fixes, and updates from launch till now? if so you should promptly take your head out of your rear end before you suffocate. true smugglers were looked over on fixes, but that is not jedi's fault. at the same time of pushing jedi fixes and updates to live they were also fixing other prof's. to say jedi and only jedi were getting fixes is just absurd. and your just using it as an exagaratted excuse to whine about jedi.
    The screaming from jedi came about long before the ADKs hit. Go check the forums. You will see that. The ADKs just made the crybabies yell louder.
    true.. some jedi were complaining about psg's being able to deflect lightsaber damage.. most of them were and are nubs. the others that knew better didn't care. any jedi worth his salt (or any other combat prof. for that matter) knew that PSG's are only temporary armor.. very temporary at that. all it did was delay the inevitable. most good PVP'rs didnt even bother with PSG's and stuck with mabari belts loaded with AA's... until adk's came around and psg's became permanate armor.
    Everyone knew about permadeath going in. Everyone knew about sabertef going in. And everyone was ok with that. Up until they saw it in action. Once they realized they had to be smart they got scared. And most werent smart. I played a jedi during permadeath. I played smart. I didnt go sit in a cantina and chat with friends for hours or go AFK while watching a movie. If you looked most of the ones screaming were the ones that were idiots. It wasnt hard to avoid detection. Just had to step a little further away from a spawn before igniting a saber. But no the kids wanted it quicker and easier. So they used the "We might get DCed and lose our jedi." as an excuse to get rid of permadeath. But still that wasnt the end of it. They didnt want skill loss either. And I guaruntee you if the developers  asked if they wanted xp loss gone they would jump on that quick.
    first.. in a perfect world. on a perfect server.. with a perfect client. permadeath and character wipes on death are a novel idea. keeps you on your toes. but we live in an imperfect world, playing on imperfect servers.. with a very imperfect SWG client. that crashes, lags horribly, and is vunerable to a pleathora of cheats and exploits that turn your chances of winning a fair fight to 0.
    Second..do you really think that if the same systems were in place for every profession that eveyone would be okay with it when they saw it in action? I really don't think so. the majority won in this case. sorry.. maybe you should have whinned for it a bit more.
    Ah I still remember the day I was on the jedi forums and there was a post asking how to best avoid a BH. 90% of it was exploits. The thread got reported a dozen times that I know of but never got locked or deleted. And on that same page was at least a half dozen threads whining about a BH who used a bomb droid exploit to kill a jedi hiding in his house. go check the forums.
    see you walk a fine line there. if a developer has not publicly announced to the players that such and such is an exploit. it's not an exploit yet. I can't even count the amount of times people have labeled the most idiotic things as exploits simply because they dont' like them. i remember being called an exploiter because i used equilibrium with my zab while in a fight. there were so dead set on trying to prove me wrong that i was exploiting because there was no way to heal mind like that unless i was a jedi. if the topics in the thread were really exploits then thats the moderaters fault for not deleting the thread. all i can say is that i've seen the same kind of threads in almost every other profession forum section. exploiting is not confined to jedi only.
    Actually I did just prove my case twice and disproved yours but your too blind and egotistical to admit it. So no matter what I show you, you will always see only what you already believe. I could present you with signed testimony from developers, videos, a thousand statements from jedi, and more. You would still sit there and say it proves nothing. Because your that type of person.
    show me? what have you shown me? nothing. thats it. nothing but cookie cutter excuses as to why you hate jedi so much. Oh!! they got a revamp! well smuggler didnt get a revamp yet! damn those jedi!.... or... some jedi were mean to me! so that makes them all exploitin, whinning, dev sucking up to, attention whores! like i said.. the only thing you've shown me is your tendancy to take issues not related one bit to jedi like the issue of smugglers not getting any kind of actual update, and flipping it around to make it look like jedi players petitioned the developers to specificaly not put any work into the smuggler prof. simple fact of the matter is that every other profession other than smuggler, commando, and squadleader has gotten massive amounts of love. but for some reason you seem to leave all of them out. your right there are 26 other professions in the game.. 3 or 4 of them need a lot of work. maybe if you focused your time on trying to get the developers to work on them.. or gave them some ideas on what you would like to see instead of using it as an excuse to bitch and moan about jedi you would accomplish something other than sounding like an assclown.
    I dont blame the jedi on this. I blame SOE and LA because they were the ones that had the emmy award winning idea to put them in game like this. Remember "Jedi will be rare" we know how that turned out.
    yeah i agree that SOE dropped the ball in that court. but their in the game now. and there is not much you can do about it short of pissing off everyone that has a jedi by taking them out of the game completley.. you know i never saw a weaponsmith, armorsmith, architect, bio-engineer, creature handler, TK, image designer, or commando's with flamethrowers in the movies. what if the devs took all of those prof's out of the game because joe so and so schmoe doesnt like seeing them in the game. they'd laugh their arses off and demand the dev's heads on a stake.

Your only right about one thing. I hate jedi. I have only met 5 that I liked. All the rest were egotistical neuvo reece little fleebs.

We had a player city next to a jedi city. We had a shuttle. The jedi city didnt. They used our shuttle. When we tried to ban them, they started ganking us while we ran missions and literally harrass us by sitting there and waiting for one of us to get TEF, insulting us, and so on. So we let them use the shuttle. CSRs told us it wasnt harrasment. It was part of the game.

Then one of guys got ganked by a jedi from the city because he got a tef from a trade. He went to the city a few days later and started in on one of their bases. When the leaders of the jedi guild found out about it they came over to our city and killed anyone of us that had tef or was overt. Now that almost wouldnt be bad except the leader tells us it was "punishment" for stepping out of line and if we think to do it again he will slap us down again. And these are rebels so they cant say they were roleplaying. Again the CSRs said it wasnt harrassment and it was part of the game.

A few weeks later I am on Dantooine hunting pikets and I get a tell from a jedi asking me if I will help him find a graul maruader. I am a master ranger at the time. I told him no. He then offered me 1 million. I told him I will not ever help a jedi and to stay away from me. I didnt curse or insult him. An hour later I get warned by a CSR for supposedly harrassing this poor pitiful jedi. I explain that I didnt harrass and he needs to check the chat logs. He tells me it doesnt matter and if I ever do it again I will be banned.

This is my basic dealings with jedi over the course of my time in game after they got rid of permadeath. When I came back to see the CU I saw more of the same additude. The "We are uber leet so bow down to us" additude.

Kai

so some people were mean to you. that means that every jedi is an asshat that deserves to have all of his or her work flushed down the toilet? you know i've had my dealings with a lot of different characters in the game for the past two years. some were jerks, and some were awesome. as for jedi. some were jerks.. some were awesome. it goes with the territory in this genre of games that your going to run into some real dickheads. what i want to know is why didnt you organise and fight back against the guild that was causing you problems? why cower and hide away only to label everyone that has a jedi as an arsehole?

about the dant thing. you know some people just get a bug up their butt with people that wrong them in some way. it could be trivial. they could look like an idiot for getting on a board and flaming them for not helping them find a graul.. or killing them repeatedly if they were tef'd or overt. but hey. i guess you know more about that than I do.

to tell my own story. i was a swordsman/doc for most of my time in SWG. so my main PVE competition was riflemen. thats the way it was. if you wanted to compete in pve looting rights and weren't a jedi you etheir had to be a rifleman, or a swordsman. I had my runins with many idiots that laughed at me because they could just barely outdamage me on an elder or krayt. and many times i'd be picked off early in pvp by a rifleman with a jawa rifle..but did i go around crying my ass off at every chance about how much riflemen suck? or that a few were jerks to me so that must mean they all are!? or that they need to be nerfed? or that there shouldnt even be riflemen because all blaster weapon fireing techniques were the same "pray n spray" in the movies?.... no.

i'm just sorry man. but almost everyone younger than 17 with an uber weapon that thinks they rule in pvp have the "We are uber leet so bow down to us" attitude. for the most part i think you need to get a sense of humor, and let things roll off your back.. especially while playing a computer game. for the other part i really think you need to really stop worrying about what other people are doing profession wise. by looking at the growing jedi numbers it's a popular profession. and obviously the majority of players don't hold your extreme views on it. maybe this game just isnt for you, and you need to move on to something else that you'll enjoy.

This post is getting too long so I am going cut some of it out k?

so your saying that no profession other than jedi got needed fixes, and updates from launch till now? if so you should promptly take your head out of your rear end before you suffocate. true smugglers were looked over on fixes, but that is not jedi's fault. at the same time of pushing jedi fixes and updates to live they were also fixing other prof's. to say jedi and only jedi were getting fixes is just absurd. and your just using it as an exagaratted excuse to whine about jedi.
    Never onec did I say that only jedi got attention. I said that jedi got the most attention because they are the developers babies. Dont try to put lies in my mouth when the text proves different. Your intelligent so why resort to stupid attempts at discredit?
    true.. some jedi were complaining about psg's being able to deflect lightsaber damage.. most of them were and are nubs. the others that knew better didn't care. any jedi worth his salt (or any other combat prof. for that matter) knew that PSG's are only temporary armor.. very temporary at that. all it did was delay the inevitable. most good PVP'rs didnt even bother with PSG's and stuck with mabari belts loaded with AA's... until adk's came around and psg's became permanate armor.
    Too bad 90% of the jedi were and IMO are still nubs.
    first.. in a perfect world. on a perfect server.. with a perfect client. permadeath and character wipes on death are a novel idea. keeps you on your toes. but we live in an imperfect world, playing on imperfect servers.. with a very imperfect SWG client. that crashes, lags horribly, and is vunerable to a pleathora of cheats and exploits that turn your chances of winning a fair fight to 0.
    Second..do you really think that if the same systems were in place for every profession that eveyone would be okay with it when they saw it in action? I really don't think so. the majority won in this case. sorry.. maybe you should have whinned for it a bit more.
    I got disconnected in game in a dangerous situation 2 times in two years of playing SWG. And in both of those instances I didnt die. And I played for 6 months in Cebu where the DSL was choppy at best during that time. Also they could code something for that to detect crashes as apposed to someone pulling the plug. Ever had to submit a crash report? So they can tell the difference.
    And again they KNEW it going in. It isnt like it was something they were surprised with the moment they went jedi. They knew from the very beginning and even before game release that jedi would suffer permadeath and they were fine with that. But the people that screamed were the ones that didnt want to have to work to get leveled. They saw the DC arguement as a way to get rid of PD and it shouldnt have been.
    see you walk a fine line there. if a developer has not publicly announced to the players that such and such is an exploit. it's not an exploit yet. I can't even count the amount of times people have labeled the most idiotic things as exploits simply because they dont' like them. i remember being called an exploiter because i used equilibrium with my zab while in a fight. there were so dead set on trying to prove me wrong that i was exploiting because there was no way to heal mind like that unless i was a jedi. if the topics in the thread were really exploits then thats the moderaters fault for not deleting the thread. all i can say is that i've seen the same kind of threads in almost every other profession forum section. exploiting is not confined to jedi only.
    I will be the first agree that players (the Llamas) will try to say anything is an exploit. But when it comes to logging off repeatedly to avoid a seeker droid or switching sabers to get people in the area DCed then even without the developers saying it we know its an exploit.
    show me? what have you shown me? nothing. thats it. nothing but cookie cutter excuses as to why you hate jedi so much. Oh!! they got a revamp! well smuggler didnt get a revamp yet! damn those jedi!.... or... some jedi were mean to me! so that makes them all exploitin, whinning, dev sucking up to, attention whores! like i said.. the only thing you've shown me is your tendancy to take issues not related one bit to jedi like the issue of smugglers not getting any kind of actual update, and flipping it around to make it look like jedi players petitioned the developers to specificaly not put any work into the smuggler prof. simple fact of the matter is that every other profession other than smuggler, commando, and squadleader has gotten massive amounts of love. but for some reason you seem to leave all of them out. your right there are 26 other professions in the game.. 3 or 4 of them need a lot of work. maybe if you focused your time on trying to get the developers to work on them.. or gave them some ideas on what you would like to see instead of using it as an excuse to bitch and moan about jedi you would accomplish something other than sounding like an assclown.
    I showed you that jedi have gotten more attention then any other profession. But again it doesnt matter. Your the type that wont admit it even if I bring Smedley himself to your house to tell you its true. You would still say it didnt prove anything.
    yeah i agree that SOE dropped the ball in that court. but their in the game now. and there is not much you can do about it short of pissing off everyone that has a jedi by taking them out of the game completley.. you know i never saw a weaponsmith, armorsmith, architect, bio-engineer, creature handler, TK, image designer, or commando's with flamethrowers in the movies. what if the devs took all of those prof's out of the game because joe so and so schmoe doesnt like seeing them in the game. they'd laugh their arses off and demand the dev's heads on a stake.
    While I admit that permadeath is heavy handed I have also stated in several posts I would also settle for no-jedi servers.

Kai

so some people were mean to you. that means that every jedi is an asshat that deserves to have all of his or her work flushed down the toilet? you know i've had my dealings with a lot of different characters in the game for the past two years. some were jerks, and some were awesome. as for jedi. some were jerks.. some were awesome. it goes with the territory in this genre of games that your going to run into some real dickheads. what i want to know is why didnt you organise and fight back against the guild that was causing you problems? why cower and hide away only to label everyone that has a jedi as an arsehole?

about the dant thing. you know some people just get a bug up their butt with people that wrong them in some way. it could be trivial. they could look like an idiot for getting on a board and flaming them for not helping them find a graul.. or killing them repeatedly if they were tef'd or overt. but hey. i guess you know more about that than I do.

to tell my own story. i was a swordsman/doc for most of my time in SWG. so my main PVE competition was riflemen. thats the way it was. if you wanted to compete in pve looting rights and weren't a jedi you etheir had to be a rifleman, or a swordsman. I had my runins with many idiots that laughed at me because they could just barely outdamage me on an elder or krayt. and many times i'd be picked off early in pvp by a rifleman with a jawa rifle..but did i go around crying my ass off at every chance about how much riflemen suck? or that a few were jerks to me so that must mean they all are!? or that they need to be nerfed? or that there shouldnt even be riflemen because all blaster weapon fireing techniques were the same "pray n spray" in the movies?.... no.

i'm just sorry man. but almost everyone younger than 17 with an uber weapon that thinks they rule in pvp have the "We are uber leet so bow down to us" attitude. for the most part i think you need to get a sense of humor, and let things roll off your back.. especially while playing a computer game. for the other part i really think you need to really stop worrying about what other people are doing profession wise. by looking at the growing jedi numbers it's a popular profession. and obviously the majority of players don't hold your extreme views on it. maybe this game just isnt for you, and you need to move on to something else that you'll enjoy.

I am saying this again. this is not an exagerration. Of every jedi I dealt with only 5 I considered nice. All the rest were arsehats. Plain and simple. If you go into a room and see 50 people wearing red wigs then guess what? That room is full of people in red wigs. I am not going to sit and argue semantics on whether or not one was more maroon then the rest or whatever.

The problem here is that the system in game allows anyone from the guy who wants to improve the game and role play a jedi to the 15 year old from CS that has a fetish for power and ganking. And this is where the issue lies. Anyone can be a jedi. All it takes is time. And trust me everyone has time.

For more proof of this one sided behavior.... A friend gave me his account when he quit the game. He gave it. I didnt buy it. It had 3 months left on it and I was going to use it for harvs. After about a week my guild was sitting with another guild after a battle they had against each other. One of the other guild members was a CSR. I didnt know. I came running in with this account's toon and was talking with my mate real quick and let it slip that a friend had given me the account and I wanted the toon added to the guild memberlist. Two days later the account was gone. Banned. I didnt care and neither did my friend since he wasnt ever going to play again and it was free to me. So I didnt press it. In fact I was rather happy that they policed it.

A month later I am perusing the forums and I see a post where a player completely admits the jedi he has is bought off ebay. He even tells the name. Nothing happens to him. Since then I have read many such posts and nothing ever happens. I watched as 3 members of the jedi guild I mentioned before told a CSR to his face they bought their accounts on IGE or Ebay and they dared him to do anything about it. We all knew they had. I knew one for sure since I was friend's with the guy that sold the account to him. I helped him level it early on before I began my hatred for jedi. Again nothing ever happened.

I guess the best way to put it is I dont hate jedi perse. I hate the system as it allows any nub (as you put it) to pick up a saber. I hate the lie the developers continually made me hear when I logged in "Jedi will be rare". I hate that jedi is endgame when there shouldnt be. I hate that jedi is the only real high end content. I hate that the jedi caused so many people to leave. Most importantly I hate that the developers wont listen to the majority of the players who want this to change.

There was a post a few months ago where a developer asked what players wanted to see for the GCW and jedi. The replies were to get rid of jedi altogether, get no-jedi servers, and take jedi out of the GCW completely. And the developer response was something like "So what I am reading here is you want jedi to have a higher purpose." He even said things like controlling the battles and so on. This shows beyond a doubt they will only see what they want to see and it will always be pro jedi. Even when masses of people are walking out.

Make jedi rare again, put up non-jedi servers, or take them away completely and I will be back in game in a flash. I am willing to bet the subscriber base would double in just a few days from the people that left. But as always that isnt pro jedi so the developers dont see that.

Kai

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

I just wanted to point out avfew ery important and little known facts about swg.

1.) Cortosis Ore is an ore available to be mined in swg. OR it was available.

2.) Cortosis doesn't "deflect" a lightsaber.  As the blade comes into contact with a layer of armor spun with woven layers of cortosis ore it deactivates the saberblade allowing an opponent to strike a defenseless jedi with no visible means to deflect a blaster bolt or another saber blade.  This interruption of the saber blade is temporary.  However, it is usually enough to allow a person to inflict a large amount of damage on a surprised Jedi never having seen cortosis used.  During the Sith wars it was used by Exar Khun and others.  After a few strikes 1 or 2 in the same area the armor is considered penetrated and the saber will pass through. 

3.) Any type of energy shield should deflect a lightsabers blade.  A particle shield will not deflect an energy based attack.  There is 2 types of shielding in star wars.  Particle shields protect the hulls of the ships from space debris and such and ray shielding (energy) protect against energy based attacks such as blasters and lasers.  Note blasters are quiet inferior to lasers in star wars.  Some starships carry both such as the B-wing starfighter. Please note energy shielding is something usually with a finate power supply available. Personal shields usually run for a few minutes while others rely on stationary reactors to power them.  A person wearing an energy shield would not be able to shoot through the shielding like in star trek where they use some sort of frequency on shielding.  SW doesn't operate that way in any sources I have.

4.) Lightsabers and jedi are quiet overpowered in swg.  Weapons that deal fragmentation and explosive power, such as the fwg-5 pistol, flamethrower, gernades, etc. are fairly unblockable for jedi.  In rpg terms a jedi would need to avoid those objects.  A lightsaber isnt going to be able to sweep into a full arc and catch every piece of flying instantly desinagrating all of the metal.  There for he/she would need to avoid the damage with a dodge.  Jedi in sw are walking gods with no real weapons choice counter.  Take for instance the fwg-5 pistol.  An exceptional weapon.  It fires flechettes in other sources not energy.  An exploding canister lets loose a barrage of darts.  For a jedi to have a block of all its damage would be near impossible with a lightsaber.  He would have to dodge and sweep the saber to catch a few of the darts.  A gernade going off near a jedi.  Impossible to block the concussion with a lightsaber.  Sound based weapons.  A lightsaber is totally useless against. 

In swg the developers screwed all the other professions who would be able to beat the tar out of a jedi.  Just because Jango and Bobo Fett didn't carry lightsabers didn't mean they didn't kill any.  In SWG's a lightsaber is just a weapon.  In the hands of a jedi it is quiet powerful, but in no way is it the god mode weapon they made it. All these jedi bitching about pearl drop rates need to understand rarity.  They can kiss my ass.  I hunted GDK's for 3 months straight to get 12 scales when the drop rate was 1 in 50.  Pearls should be even rarer then that and jedi should accept the standard lightsabers.  Forget the levels. A lightsaber is plenty deadly.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Master_Shake,

I think Kai talks out of his butt most of the time (see his first post in this thread as an example, as a master programmer he knows exactly what is and isn't possible /sacasm), however in this one instance he does have a point.

Jedi have had more patches and fixes devoted to them than any other single profession in the game. A patch doesn't go by without something in it for jedi either directly or indirectly. When was the last time you saw something for Bio-Engineers? I'd say since their revamp over a year ago. Are you aware they still have no idea what will come out when they put DNA together? The could have wasted all the resources they worked so hard to collect because it comes out higher level then they wanted.

Imagine making a lightsaber, and when you finish you can't use it because you have to be level 127 to use it and the game doesn't go past level 80. Tell me why Bio-Engineers shouldn't be upset at the attention Jedi get.

What about Droid Engineers? Did you know from their "revamp" the only thing people really buy is Bomb Droids, and all the jedi whined about them so they go nerfed. Most of the bugs that have been there since release are still there, yet Jedi contiue to get fix after fix, tweak after tweak.

To look thorugh all those patch notes and say "Well in this patch we only got one thing" well in all those patches BE's got nothing, and DE's only got what a previous patch broke. We've already mentioned Squad Leaders, Commando's and Smugglers.

As far as going link dead and dying: I've been playing this game since the  day it hit the shelves, you know how many times this has happened to me? NEVER. That's rigth, in 2-2/1/2 years I've never died because I've gone link dead in SWG.

Originally posted by Jodokai

Master_Shake,
    I think Kai talks out of his butt most of the time (see his first post in this thread as an example, as a master programmer he knows exactly what is and isn't possible /sacasm),

I was asking a legitimate question. When the developers change or nerf item in game, there is always a prenerf to ruin the economy. Like Prenerf FWG5s. Or Prenerf Seeker Droids. Etc. And the developers would always say they couldnt alter anything that has already been put in the game. That is why, for the longest time smuggler tools made before a certain patch couldnt stack.

Now their jedi children want pearls changed and they say if they do it then it will change the pearls already in game. So you tell me? How come they say they cant change items already in game all the time for the other professions but for their jedi babies it is automatic?

Kai

Originally posted by Jodokai
    Master_Shake,
    I think Kai talks out of his butt most of the time (see his first post in this thread as an example, as a master programmer he knows exactly what is and isn't possible /sacasm),
    I was asking a legitimate question. When the developers change or nerf item in game, there is always a prenerf to ruin the economy. Like Prenerf FWG5s. Or Prenerf Seeker Droids. Etc. And the developers would always say they couldnt alter anything that has already been put in the game. That is why, for the longest time smuggler tools made before a certain patch couldnt stack.Now their jedi children want pearls changed and they say if they do it then it will change the pearls already in game. So you tell me? How come they say they cant change items already in game all the time for the other professions but for their jedi babies it is automatic?
    Kai

Plus they managed to do the impossible, by making current seeker droid stacks start utilizing items whereas in the past they claimed that they 'couldn't' do such things.

Go to the main forum, search for dev and community manager posts, then sort them by how many times the word 'CANT' is used. Now, compare those old posts to what actually has been done, versus what they claimed couldn't be done.

I think the results are enlightening.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

Yikes, this is the thread from hell lol I don't wanna read all that image Anywho I have a n00by question. Do you get droids in this game to use as pets, say like R2D2 but on the ground and he'll come hunt with you? I know it's pretty n00b but I would love to know! image I saw something about seeker droids and I had to ask!

Yikes, this is the thread from hell lol I don't wanna read all that image Anywho I have a n00by question. Do you get droids in this game to use as pets, say like R2D2 but on the ground and he'll come hunt with you? I know it's pretty n00b but I would love to know! image I saw something about seeker droids and I had to ask!

Seeker Droids and Probe Droids are unique to Bounty Hunters.

Probots are standard combat droids. Get yourself a good one, group with it, and tell it to guard you. Erillion can help you with the mechanics of that.

R5s, R4s, R3s, and R2s are also available outside the space expansion as well. They can be equipped not only for combat, but also for extra inventory space, as well as with crafting modules so you can experiment as a crafter in the field and away from your crafting station at home.

There are other uses, assigning them tasks to go and pay maintenance on your harvestors is one, very useful to a crafter (who has money) and can't fight worth a damn.

Did I forget any?

Originally posted by Wepps

Seeker Droids and Probe Droids are unique to Bounty Hunters.

Probots are standard combat droids. Get yourself a good one, group with it, and tell it to guard you. Erillion can help you with the mechanics of that.

R5s, R4s, R3s, and R2s are also available outside the space expansion as well. They can be equipped not only for combat, but also for extra inventory space, as well as with crafting modules so you can experiment as a crafter in the field and away from your crafting station at home.

There are other uses, assigning them tasks to go and pay maintenance on your harvestors is one, very useful to a crafter (who has money) and can't fight worth a damn.

Did I forget any?

WOOHOO! LOL sorry but I image robots, especially R2D2. C3P0 was funny but so uptight! R2 was quick to jump into the fray and always ready for a good time.image

Now that you mention it I fogot a BUNCH of them.

Protocol droids, and LE repair droids are two. Mouse droids are the basic ones, I used to attack jedi wtih those lol, especially the exploding versions ::::20::

There is also a really big lifter droid, I forget its name I haven't been a master droid engineer in over a year. I think those are best for storing extra inventory if I'm not mistaken.

So kewl! Maybe I'll be a droid engineerimage. I'm just about at Eng III but I really need Erillion to log in and help me with my house. I'm gonna have some medium harvesters so I can do some serious crafting. I have tons of copper and chemical but now I need Iron and lots of wood too.

See how easy it is when you have a guild willing to help?

I'm kind of stuck in perpetual testingmode anymore. I'm soloing a Shipwright. Dammed if it isn't impossible to earn enough credits to get the basics.

Right now I have novice Merchant and novice Shipwright. I have a house, 3 merchants grinding exp for me, and 2 solar generators.

I still need another 200k minimum just for the harvestors I need and their associated maintenence. I calculated 75 trips to Anchorhead to that point. I'm on trip 3. ::::06::

Why don't you come to naritus and start fresh with me? Erillion will help us a ton, cmon man it would be soo fun!! Plus he's from England and they are so self centered they set their clocks 9 hours ahead of us image.

Originally posted by Wepps

See how easy it is when you have a guild willing to help?
    I'm kind of stuck in perpetual testingmode anymore. I'm soloing a Shipwright. Dammed if it isn't impossible to earn enough credits to get the basics.
    Right now I have novice Merchant and novice Shipwright. I have a house, 3 merchants grinding exp for me, and 2 solar generators.
    I still need another 200k minimum just for the harvestors I need and their associated maintenence. I calculated 75 trips to Anchorhead to that point. I'm on trip 3. ::::06::

Are you a master pilot? Go fly the Dant and Yavin missions from the stations there. You get alot of creds and doesnt take that long. Then spend the creds on cheap resources to grind. I have found on some servers prices as low as 1cpu for crap stats stuff.

If there is a mining combine on your server talk to them. That was how my guild got started. As a mining combine.

Another thing is look for a shipwright already in business that might want an apprentice to craft his chassis for him. They will supply the resources for you.

Kai

No I prefer earning it. Every credit. I never ask for help, and don't expect it.

I grinded to master bounty hunter when there were no such things as vehicles, that meant spending hours on missions crossing Endor to get to the other side, managing sprint runs and base camps all the way.

Not only that, but I respecced myself. Twice. I dropped master to pick up mostly TKA skills when fighting Jedi was impossible, and it worked. Then I surrendered that and got master Rifleman, and Master BH again.

I ground Droid Engineer and Merchant to mastery, when nobody was buying the products. I spent a whole year as a master DE, and ended up with 3.5 million, when weaponsmiths made their first 10 million in the first week of release. Those were the times when all Artisans were first nerfed, in surveying. What a useless thing that is now. I would dig everything I needed out of the ground to grind DE.

In those days it was snowing on Naboo. And you had to walk from Theed to Kadaara. And it was uphill, both ways.

We made soup from pencil shavings and strained it through old socks.

And we were GREATFUL!