Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Throne and Liberty confirmed P2W

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,642
«1

Comments

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,669
    edited June 10
    Yeah, that's all pretty grim news for sure.  Sounds like L2 with extra P2W or P3 skip content baked in.

    I liked some of his ideas to make it less P2W here in the West but realistically AWS can only do (or are willing to do) so much to tone it down some.

    Along with the F2P/botting challenges it probably will go a lot like Lost Ark which despite player complaints probably has made a lot of money for all involved.

    Interesting to learn NCSoft saw fit to return detailed financials to their latest quarterly report but conspicuously left  T&L off of this list, must really be tanking hard in Korea.

    Streamer made it a real point to say this game is one of the few "true""MMOs that seem to release in a year, to which I heartily agree with his viewpoint 

    That said, I feel a bit bad that when he closed saying perhaps AWS can come up with some changes to make T&L successful my first thought was....

    "Maybe they should market it as a MMOARPG?".   ;)
    NanfoodlelotrloreScot

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,266
    edited June 10
    I was in CB and yeah, I expected it to be along the lines of Lost Ark.

    KyleranNanfoodle
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
     
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,100
    This is the Korean version though right?  

    He even mentions that we don't know what is coming for the US version?

    PS: I don't agree with his contention that a monthly sub is P2W...



    Sovrathtzervo

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,266
    This is the Korean version though right?  

    He even mentions that we don't know what is coming for the US version?

    PS: I don't agree with his contention that a monthly sub is P2W...




    Honestly if you play this game as a pay to play it's not bad, honestly. Treat it like ESO+
    Slapshot1188Kylerantzervo
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
     
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,100
    Tiller said:
    This is the Korean version though right?  

    He even mentions that we don't know what is coming for the US version?

    PS: I don't agree with his contention that a monthly sub is P2W...




    Honestly if you play this game as a pay to play it's not bad, honestly. Treat it like ESO+
    That's what I'm hoping.  I have zero problem paying a monthly sub.  I do not expect full fledged games for free.

    SovrathKyleranScottzervo

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 590
    Yea, something like this I'm more interested in what the Western version will be, especially considering AGS has told us in interviews in the past for both this and Blue Protocol that they are working to remove and revamp some of the things that we in the West view as "P2W" versus what are just normal MMO mechanics in Korea. 

    Considering the current Korean version isn't what will be released here, I'm going withhold judgment till we've had a chance to put it through its paces. 
    Slapshot1188Sovrath5TrooperScottzervo
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,642
    lotrlore said:
    Yea, something like this I'm more interested in what the Western version will be, especially considering AGS has told us in interviews in the past for both this and Blue Protocol that they are working to remove and revamp some of the things that we in the West view as "P2W" versus what are just normal MMO mechanics in Korea. 

    Considering the current Korean version isn't what will be released here, I'm going withhold judgment till we've had a chance to put it through its paces. 
    Would be nice but I wont be holding my breath. NCSoft has lots all of of cred and Amazon has not done allot to garner favor with the gaming community. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 7,003
    Nanfoodle said:
    lotrlore said:
    Yea, something like this I'm more interested in what the Western version will be, especially considering AGS has told us in interviews in the past for both this and Blue Protocol that they are working to remove and revamp some of the things that we in the West view as "P2W" versus what are just normal MMO mechanics in Korea. 

    Considering the current Korean version isn't what will be released here, I'm going withhold judgment till we've had a chance to put it through its paces. 
    Would be nice but I wont be holding my breath. NCSoft has lots all of of cred and Amazon has not done allot to garner favor with the gaming community. 
    Yeah lol. NCSoft and AGS doesn't fill me with any confidence. At all!

    So far AGS has been an failure of Epic proportions. So my expectations are way below freezing point lol.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,572
    edited June 10
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah, that's all pretty grim news for sure.  Sounds like L2 with extra P2W or P3 skip content baked in.

    I liked some of his ideas to make it less P2W here in the West but realistically AWS can only do (or are willing to do) so much to tone it down some.

    Along with the F2P/botting challenges it probably will go a lot like Lost Ark which despite player complaints probably has made a lot of money for all involved.

    Interesting to learn NCSoft saw fit to return detailed financials to their latest quarterly report but conspicuously left  T&L off of this list, must really be tanking hard in Korea.

    Streamer made it a real point to say this game is one of the few "true""MMOs that seem to release in a year, to which I heartily agree with his viewpoint 

    That said, I feel a bit bad that when he closed saying perhaps AWS can come up with some changes to make T&L successful my first thought was....

    "Maybe they should market it as a MMOARPG?".   ;)
    This game is a huge bomb in Korea. It launched with 21 servers (all full), and now it's down to 4 servers, with most of the players left are foreigners. So once Global releases, everyone will leave. 

    The new optional sub is called 'Blessing of Solicium'. It gives massive boosts, so you are kinda screwed if you don't use it. This is on top of a Cash Shop, Several Different Battle Passes, and a Real Money Auction House. So it's like death by a thousand cuts. 

    As for P2W, the game uses a real money action house. You can Swipe for all your end game gear off the marketplace. 

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,642
    edited June 11
    Kumapon said:
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah, that's all pretty grim news for sure.  Sounds like L2 with extra P2W or P3 skip content baked in.

    I liked some of his ideas to make it less P2W here in the West but realistically AWS can only do (or are willing to do) so much to tone it down some.

    Along with the F2P/botting challenges it probably will go a lot like Lost Ark which despite player complaints probably has made a lot of money for all involved.

    Interesting to learn NCSoft saw fit to return detailed financials to their latest quarterly report but conspicuously left  T&L off of this list, must really be tanking hard in Korea.

    Streamer made it a real point to say this game is one of the few "true""MMOs that seem to release in a year, to which I heartily agree with his viewpoint 

    That said, I feel a bit bad that when he closed saying perhaps AWS can come up with some changes to make T&L successful my first thought was....

    "Maybe they should market it as a MMOARPG?".   ;)
    This game is a huge bomb in Korea. It launched with 21 servers (all full), and now it's down to 4 servers, with most of the players left are foreigners. So once Global releases, everyone will leave. 

    The new optional sub is called 'Blessing of Solicium'. It gives massive boosts, so you are kinda screwed if you don't use it. This is on top of a Cash Shop, Several Different Battle Passes, and a Real Money Auction House. So it's like death by a thousand cuts. 

    As for P2W, the game uses a real money action house. You can Swipe for all your end game gear off the marketplace. 

    Game developers keep saying MMOing is dead. Same with AAA games struggling. Do they not get gamers are tired of being fleased. Most gamers are playing games from the past 5-10 years ago or a year after launch when the price is not outrageous. We cant get an MMO anymore that does not have micro-transactions set to kill. T and L at its core by what most are saying, is a solid game. No one needs 6 types of curancies. I hear that, I walk away. 
    KumaponKyleranJeroKane
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,900
    Amazon should try and get out of publishing this game. It's a massive bomb in Korea and it will be a massive bomb in the US.

    It's really only a matter of time until Throne and Liberty dies completely in Korea and what would Amazon be left with then?

    Same goes for Blue Protocol.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,181
    Xiaoki said:
    Amazon should try and get out of publishing this game. It's a massive bomb in Korea and it will be a massive bomb in the US.

    It's really only a matter of time until Throne and Liberty dies completely in Korea and what would Amazon be left with then?

    Same goes for Blue Protocol.
    That might not be true. Granted, the “game scape” has changed but the original Lineage and Lineage 2 were huge in Korea. Here? Not as much.

    I can’t speak to why it’s not doing well in Korea but it’s very possible that the turnoffs there might be desirable traits here.
    Slapshot1188
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,900
    Sovrath said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Amazon should try and get out of publishing this game. It's a massive bomb in Korea and it will be a massive bomb in the US.

    It's really only a matter of time until Throne and Liberty dies completely in Korea and what would Amazon be left with then?

    Same goes for Blue Protocol.
    That might not be true. Granted, the “game scape” has changed but the original Lineage and Lineage 2 were huge in Korea. Here? Not as much.

    I can’t speak to why it’s not doing well in Korea but it’s very possible that the turnoffs there might be desirable traits here.

    Yeah, American MMO players sure do love very little content, extreme pay to win, gear upgrading thats a time gated grind and full of RNG, and BOTS, BOTS and more BOTS.

    Oh, yeah, it'll definitely do juuuust fine over here.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,181
    Xiaoki said:
    Sovrath said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Amazon should try and get out of publishing this game. It's a massive bomb in Korea and it will be a massive bomb in the US.

    It's really only a matter of time until Throne and Liberty dies completely in Korea and what would Amazon be left with then?

    Same goes for Blue Protocol.
    That might not be true. Granted, the “game scape” has changed but the original Lineage and Lineage 2 were huge in Korea. Here? Not as much.

    I can’t speak to why it’s not doing well in Korea but it’s very possible that the turnoffs there might be desirable traits here.

    Yeah, American MMO players sure do love very little content, extreme pay to win, gear upgrading thats a time gated grind and full of RNG, and BOTS, BOTS and more BOTS.

    Oh, yeah, it'll definitely do juuuust fine over here.

    um Black Desert is calling, will you take it here or in your room?

    And I'm guessing that's NOT why it's doing poorly over there. Unless things have drastically changed. Which is could be.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Seing how AGS are handeling NW, i woudn't put much faith in amazon righting the ship here. If NCsoft doesn't Come up with good ideas/ implementations for global, its definitly not AGS that will save the game, they are clueless...
  • DattelisDattelis Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Isn't most of the gear in game sellable? I'd be more worried about that than anything else tbh. Yeah you can buy materials in Lost Ark's shop but it limited how many you can buy and you can't just buy gear outright.....Here would be a bit different. Also, the blatant P2W isn't going to keep me from playing, but the whole concept of dungeon limitations will. We're in 2024, wtf is with that old shit?
    tzervo
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Please........ and you were surprised by this announcement?!
    Sovrath

    Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,181

    This is the Korean version though right?  

    He even mentions that we don't know what is coming for the US version?

    PS: I don't agree with his contention that a monthly sub is P2W...





    I'm now watching this video and "yeah," it isn't a commentary of a western version but the eastern version.

    While it's very possible all of this will be in the western version, it's also possible that it will be changed. Heck there could be more pay to win. But this just seems like a clickbait video.



    Slapshot1188
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,100
    Sovrath said:

    This is the Korean version though right?  

    He even mentions that we don't know what is coming for the US version?

    PS: I don't agree with his contention that a monthly sub is P2W...





    I'm now watching this video and "yeah," it isn't a commentary of a western version but the eastern version.

    While it's very possible all of this will be in the western version, it's also possible that it will be changed. Heck there could be more pay to win. But this just seems like a clickbait video.



    Yup.  Do I think it will all go away when it launches?  No.  But to say something like P2W Confirmed is borderline dishonest.


    Sovrath

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,168
    edited June 12
    Subscriptions are not P2W and I guess battlepass is now a sub so not that either but the opinion seems to be that subs are P2W. However if you have to buy things from the cash shops to upgrade it can quickly spiral out of control and that definitely falls squarely into P2W category.

    This game looked like a huge amount of fun when I saw guilds defending their hold in one video a few weeks back. It seemed like something that guilds would be salivating to play but I guess  they were turned of because of the huge amounts of P2W in the form of buying things for real money to upgrade. That can really turn people off and I suppose that explains the poor showing this game has. 

    NCsoft needs to have painful lessons to tone down the greed. So losing loads of money will teach them to lessen the greed so that they can attract more players and make money on other things rather than going for the jugular by targeting the very important upgrade system. That is so sewer level P2W it is disgusting. It just preys on people's need to better their equipment and every player needs that. Opportunistic and they need a lesson on controlled greed. I hope they take notes and learn it well. Massive losses for a game they thought will make them money will do exactly that. I am glad the Korean players were smarter and did indeed abandon the game. They did us all a favour.

    Hopefully a far less greedier version comes our way.

    I know Undecember toned their rubbish down by the time I started playing it. Players leaving in droves is exactly what a game needs to hammer a point across and making its Western release something we can look forward to hopefully.
    Kyleran
    Garrus Signature
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 23,343
    edited June 12
    Battle Passes are getting a bad name, they will need to think up something new so player numties don't realise how much they need to pay to win again.
    Neoyoshi
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,241
    Sovrath said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Amazon should try and get out of publishing this game. It's a massive bomb in Korea and it will be a massive bomb in the US.

    It's really only a matter of time until Throne and Liberty dies completely in Korea and what would Amazon be left with then?

    Same goes for Blue Protocol.
    That might not be true. Granted, the “game scape” has changed but the original Lineage and Lineage 2 were huge in Korea. Here? Not as much.

    I can’t speak to why it’s not doing well in Korea but it’s very possible that the turnoffs there might be desirable traits here.
    The Lineage series may have been a success but it's important to know where those roads lead over time as upper management changed at NCsoft over the years and business models shifted.  

    No where on the planet is there any real desire for the business models that NCsoft employs when 'whales' are their target audience; and I'm not exaggerating, i know this wasn't the case back in the early 2000's or even in 2008 with the launch of Aion- but when we shifted to F2P models, NCsoft was the first out of the gates to supercharge the pay-for-power and convenience options.

    And not much has changed with that.  NCsoft pretty much has to rely on this type of business because sadly 'Whales' are what keep them afloat, or at least 'profitable' within their own markets.


    Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,241
    edited June 12
    Scot said:
    Battle Passes are getting a bad name, they will need to think up something new so player numties don't realise how much they need to pay to win again.

    That is something I can agree with. 

    Battle Passes are just the new Monthly subscription, and is not where the discussion should be focused on, because it distracts from the real glaring problem where NCsoft tends to use things like the BP systems to drip feed players with materials needed for upgrades and get them hooked on the 'real' money maker: the cash shop.


    Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,100
    Scot said:
    Battle Passes are getting a bad name, they will need to think up something new so player numties don't realise how much they need to pay to win again.
    Battle Passes are just optional Subscriptions by another name.  For some reason people have an easier time paying for a "Battle Pass" than a sub..   Strange in my mind, but whatever.

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,863
    If a game has a sub, I don't want to see any cash shop too unless it is just for cosmetics. Paying a monthly sub should provide the entire game, all items should be available by playing.

    And a real money auction house? fuggedaboutit!


    SovrathSlapshot1188Kyleran

    ------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.


Sign In or Register to comment.