Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So pretty, so boring...

gregersgregers Member Posts: 9

This game is boring. It is beautiful, has nice graphics, quite good
music, sound effects and it should be good but... these quests -

"kill something, bring something",

mobs with displayed level (no surprise - you always know what can happen
if you attack them),

spells - given to you (instead of quests that could be given to learn
certain spells or other abilities) , things that cannot be put on the
ground, so you can't find something - you have to fight it,

locked encounters that you can't unlock without losing exp/loot (I
understand the problem with high level character stealing mobs from low
level ones - but it should be a way to just unlock the encounter on
demand)

Concept of zones...

Death - that is no problem... You just die and don't lose any equipment
- not challenging at all - much better would be if all your equipment
was left with the "spirit shard??" or rather body...

It all makes this game boring from the beginning... and it is a general
problem with nowaday games, that must be sweet not demanding - thus
being boring not exciting.

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

ok, then dont play it.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• HjörvarrHjörvarr Member Posts: 38

... so typical a response, so lacking in any useful material.

I am anticipating the highly acclaimed Gregersquest coming out next year. [/sarcasm] I could take your vague points and apply it to almost any mmorpg out there, all I can say is mmo's are not for everyone and EQ2 is not for everyone, obviously for some all MMO's suck.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Everything in EQ2 is thinked around the guild, it is extremely social...if you are not that social, even if you are an achiever like me, despite the fact it is having prolly more stuff to achieve then any other game, I feel there is no achievement at all due to it social oriented nature.

EQ2 is definitely 1 of the nicest game out there...No shame in saying out loud that you dont want to have to be guilded for everything...that is fine. I dont either. No need to blast the game. Blast games like WoW, they do the same "mistakes" and they bring nothing really new, they just commit to what EQ and DAoC already did, arguably better, arguably wronger...

EQ2 is unique, unlike many others products.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by gregers

This game is boring. It is beautiful, has nice graphics, quite good music, sound effects and it should be good but... these quests -

Those quests exist in every rpg, also tonight I had to deliver love notes, gather items for a crafting quest, lots of kill quests (my favorite) and a sneak quest. I'm pretty sure every quest type under the sun is present in EQ2. Name one that isn't.

mobs with displayed level (no surprise - you always know what can happen if you attack them),

You'd rather experiment with the hundreds of different mob types?

spells - given to you (instead of quests that could be given to learn certain spells or other abilities) , things that cannot be put on the ground, so you can't find something - you have to fight it,

Scholars also make them with their crafting skill, adding to the economy. Summoners get quest to learn to summon pet. Will learn more and edit and add for you later.

locked encounters that you can't unlock without losing exp/loot (I understand the problem with high level character stealing mobs from low level ones - but it should be a way to just unlock the encounter on demand)

Gonna be added, although I don't mind locked encounters at all. Kill stealing is a lame way of griefing people, also stops people from getting power leveled. So you have to kill the thing yourself, that's a bad thing?

Concept of zones...

I like zoning, it cuts down on lag.image

Death - that is no problem... You just die and don't lose any equipment - not challenging at all - much better would be if all your equipment was left with the "spirit shard??" or rather body...

Spirit shard left in a place where you can't get it is a huge pain, also when you die you get exp debt, which can take a half hour to work off in the wrong place. You definitely wanna avoid dying.

It all makes this game boring from the beginning... and it is a general problem with nowadays games, that must be sweet not demanding - thus being boring not exciting.

The game is challenging, but you won't have to pull any hair out if you aren't playing while exceedingly drunk.

I got my guardian to level 33 at launch before leaving. I just came back a couple weeks ago, since launch the game has been vastly improved in every area imaginable; from texture optimization to added graphics to added quests, mobs, instances and areas. I am loving it so far, also Freeport FTW!!

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

A trip to the mender after a couple of stupid deaths kinda take the will to die out of you ;)

• gregersgregers Member Posts: 9

Well, I don't think this game is bad.. it definitely has it's potential, and some aspects of it are just great, but it won't be better if everybody will think it's perfect - it isn't.

>ok, then dont play it.

I will because I'm curious what will change in this game, and perhaps I'll have some influence on these changes.

>for some all MMO's suck

No, MMO is the future, but only then if they'd be not only pure hack'n slash games.

> it is extremely social

Not really. A social game should push you to contact with other people. Various aspects of crafting, acquiring supplies for other PCs, helping other characters with their fight, learning thru interaction with PCs, can make a game social. This one is as you said group oriented.

>You'd rather experiment with the hundreds of different mob types?

Yeah! It isn't easy - but it's a thrilling experience being put into a forrest full of mobs - maybe this wolf that jumped from the bushes will kill you?, perhaps you'll kill it .. some adrenaline rush... not a cold calculation - aha this wolf is level 13, I am level 15 so it is easy, not worthy.. but here is a blinking pointer that shows me that 32 meters from here heading 230 is a troll that is level 15 so I'll kill it with such and such spell so I have to press 5, 3, 2, 7 ok I'll write a macro to do this.

>I like zoning, it cuts down on lag

OK. You're right.. I think it's annoying, but perhaps someday it'll be so quick that not affecting gameplay.

> Gregersquest ?

Some social quest, let's say - You have to find a level 20-32 Player Character mage in ?Antonica or other zone and learn a basic "teleportation" spell from him for money.

This low level spell can teleport you randomly 5 to 10 meters from current location....

To do this you'll have to gather some wood and find some NPC that will convert it onto a special sort of let's say hmm .. paper? on which you could write a recipe.

You have to convince a PC to follow you to some common place (like tower or similar) where you can finish the transaction...

Simple? - but challenging and social. Involving PC in quests is much better than doing it with NPCs...

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    I like those ideas, as I always say, post them on the official forums too and I'll agree there too.image

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Pfttt... I wish that it would work in my system...During ship tutorial my system freezed and crashed 4 times in less than hour. Didn't bothered to continue trial 2nd day.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

Originally posted by Resetgun
    Pfttt... I wish that it would work in my system...During ship tutorial my system freezed and crashed 4 times in less than hour. Didn't bothered to continue trial 2nd day.

Whats your system? I had a friend problem like that as well. He just turned the water effects to the lowest and then jumped the tutorial (a little cheak box when you choose server) and never crashed after that.
    Alot of grafic cards have problems with the water in EQ2, that might be whats doing it.

• spydermr2spydermr2 Member Posts: 336

mobs with displayed level (no surprise - you always know what can happen if you attack them),

You'd rather experiment with the hundreds of different mob types?

-------- end quote ---------

Yup. I'd much rather experiment by doing and thereby LEARN by doing for myself how dangerous the environment is than have it held up in bright letters so I don't have to engage my brain to figure out the peril of the situation.

• HjörvarrHjörvarr Member Posts: 38

I understand what you mean about the con system, but most games have a system like that because quite frankly, not every gamer is hardcore. I will even go as far as to say that most mmoers are not that hard core. Still I can't help but somewhat agree with you, the con system has drawbacks. But I don't see a successful MMO not having it. To keep a good game up and running, you need to have a lot of people playing it, and that means catering to a lot of people.

As for spells and such, I'll take the EQ2 way of getting your basic spells immediately, but you CAN quest and forage and trade etc, to get upgraded ones vs having to leave a group or something similar, to run back to my trainer just to buy the spells I need. Which gets expensive as you level so you have to start farming to get cash to keep your armor and spells up, WoW style. That is a complete waste of time IMHO.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

My only real complaint with this game is that they hand you your spells and abilities, you should have to buy, find, loot, quest for them to have them at all.

Actually, here's a better idea. buy/find/loot/quest for the App1 of any ability, then the more you use a spell the better it gets!

/prays for a good skill based MMO someday. image

Joined - July 2004

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by gregers

This game is boring. It is beautiful, has nice graphics, quite good
    music, sound effects and it should be good but... these quests -

mobs with displayed level (no surprise - you always know what can happen
    if you attack them),

spells - given to you (instead of quests that could be given to learn
    certain spells or other abilities) , things that cannot be put on the
    ground, so you can't find something - you have to fight it,

locked encounters that you can't unlock without losing exp/loot (I
    understand the problem with high level character stealing mobs from low
    level ones - but it should be a way to just unlock the encounter on
    demand)

Concept of zones...

Death - that is no problem... You just die and don't lose any equipment
    - not challenging at all - much better would be if all your equipment
    was left with the "spirit shard??" or rather body...

It all makes this game boring from the beginning... and it is a general
    problem with nowaday games, that must be sweet not demanding - thus
    being boring not exciting.

Welcome to MMO's.

• chrono2455chrono2455 Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by remyburke
    My only real complaint with this game is that they hand you your spells and abilities, you should have to buy, find, loot, quest for them to have them at all.
    Actually, here's a better idea. buy/find/loot/quest for the App1 of any ability, then the more you use a spell the better it gets!
    /prays for a good skill based MMO someday. image

Hmmmm... skill based.....that would be pretty cool hehehe I'd love that kind of thing....then it would make more sense then a mage magically being able to cast a spell he just learned, perfectly the first time.
  • AdamskaAdamska Member Posts: 129

IMO, this game isn't boring at all, I have so much fun playing my character to its fullest. There is alot of player skill influence in this game. I play a ranger that shouldn't be out DPS'ing a swash that is 3 lvls higher than me. But I do, wether its by crafting a special additive, performing a perfect combo... Or just playing as hard as I do (I often sweat when playing.)

So much content has been added, so many likeable things. So many unlikeable content taken away.. Tradeskills are 10X more fun, grouping is exciting with how much you can explore in this game. Playing EQ1 and then playing EQ2 makes this game alot more fun as well, because you see how the world is changed, and its just... fUN!

The people who bash this game often have a few handicaps.

1. They trial the game or play it with a closed mind. I.E. "This game is going to suck, why am I trying this out" That ruins any chance of any game appealing to your minds eye.

2. They havent actually played it themselves, and read what other people have written... Giving them no real grounds :(

3. Bashing it because of no PvP: I used too bash this game for that very reason. The PvP that is coming is going to add so much, and be so awesome. But even without it, I would play this game for years, Because I came to it with an open mind... Tried it out, explored solo, duo, trio, and full group experience. Found the classes I liked and disliked, Did tradeskills and worked on some very brain teasing and hard quests that added to my coinpurse, gave me new items, and status.

Those reasons can really be applied to any game. But the people that go to the front page of this site, and rate all 0's (which I have done, and am correcting) without trying it are a bit of a waste of critizism.

It is very pretty, and so NOT boring... Try it out :/

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Originally posted by Anofalye

Everything in EQ2 is thinked around the guild, it is extremely social...if you are not that social, even if you are an achiever like me, despite the fact it is having prolly more stuff to achieve then any other game, I feel there is no achievement at all due to it social oriented nature.
    EQ2 is definitely 1 of the nicest game out there...No shame in saying out loud that you dont want to have to be guilded for everything...that is fine. I dont either. No need to blast the game. Blast games like WoW, they do the same "mistakes" and they bring nothing really new, they just commit to what EQ and DAoC already did, arguably better, arguably wronger...
    EQ2 is unique, unlike many others products.

"thinked" and "wronger" arent even real words Ano...

-----------------Censored------------------

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I pretty much agree with everything Gregers said.

It's not challenging enough, not thrilling enough...

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Adamska

(I often sweat when playing.)

ROFL!!!!!

• NobleRavenNobleRaven Member Posts: 1

Hey Im kinda new to this whole MMO thing can someone suggest a good game. I've heard good things about EQ2 but im to poor to play itimage...Well i guess i could do the monthy subscrice thing but Ive Been Playing TIBIA for so long and its free i Just do want to get let down...Prays Be to those That Never give Up.image And Sorry for Bad spelling

Its Darkess Just Before Dawn, And it will be Brightess just before then End

Quotes Of BloodRaven

• BelsamethBelsameth Member Posts: 193

Actually, involving PC's as active objectives in a quest is avery *very* bad idea, it promotes griefing, badmouthing and generally being annoying in a terrible way.

I agree most quests aren't all that they could be, far from it even, (no mmog has good quest iom, or almost no good quests) but involving PC's in in such a way would only make it worse.

DnD seems to be taking the right direction with quests, and I'm curious how that'll turn out. tho the fact that it's almost all instanced makes it loose points with me right off the bat

(yes, I know. a delayed response to page 1)