Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surge in gas prices coming soon?

RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

After Pat Robertson's remark on assassinating Hugo Chavez, it seems that the government of Venezuela is going to be allot more unstable.  They recently stopped the combat of drug trafficking and, expecting to raise hell against the U.S. at the next U.N. meeting.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1125336554776_21/?hub=World

The other day, I was watching Fox News, Hannity&Colmes. They had a former CIA operative to discuss the problem with Pat Robertson. After a heated debate on the integrity of Hugo Chavez, the former CIA operative compared him to a modern day Hitler.

In my opinion, if Hugo Chavez continues this ordeal with Pat Robertson and, attempts to humiliate the U.S. based on a private citizens thoughts, then he's getting himself into even bigger trouble. . .

Obviously, this is such a big ordeal to the government primarily because of the oil production in Venezuela, they do produce 1/5 of the oil there. But, the recent catastrophe with Hurricane Katrina, has done well over billions of dollars in damage to the oil production in the Gulf, one of which produces 1/3 of the oil production in the U.S.

I see higher oil prices in our immediate future...

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Comments

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    HOLY $HIT dont tell me some people might be forced to drive cars with motors smaller than a V8.... what the f%$k is the world coming to image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

lol

I say let the President over there do what he wants. Im no Pat Robertson fan (in fact....Im nowhere near on the Fan-o-meter with him) but I say let the President over there drastically change the oil.

It'll get the companies over here to finally utilize alternative sources of gas (and Im not talking about that corn crap....Im talking about HEMP!)

300 acres of hemp replanted quarterly (4 times a year) is enough to supply the united states with enough gasoline for over 100 million vehicles.

Henry Ford used hemp in all of his cars.

WOOHOOO for HEMP!

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

Originally posted by Razorback
    HOLY $HIT dont tell me some people might be forced to drive cars with motors smaller than a V8.... what the f%$k is the world coming to image

Lol, ironically there is talk of the government switching to diesel engines.  Meaning bigger engines and more power for far less gas usage.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Hemp actually works even better than that...

4 Bongs and you dont care whether you go anywhere in your car or not image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

2.86 here. Thats a 20 cent raise in under 6 hours.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• Sparks243Sparks243 Member Posts: 271

Gas was 2.50 Sunday

Today it is 2.79

We are going to have to start bottling gas and sell it by vintage

• patheospatheos Member Posts: 1,148

3.00 here, its gonna hard to not drive as much. ( iowa )

• hartamhartam Member Posts: 364

Maybe it will teach us lazy bastards to ride a bike more often. Only drive far distances.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Razorback

I get what your saying, screw the people who choose to drive suburbans and big ass cars like thsoe, but for people like me, your comment angers me.

I know alot of people in the U.S. drive cars that are larger than they need to be, but I myself drive a 12 year old chevy corsica, which is a small car and a V6, that gets around 15 miles to the gallon. I cant afford to buy a new car, or even lease one. I also commute to college every day, which is about 25 minutes to drive + a bridge toll. I make less than $120 a week. So as you can imagine with gas prices sky rocketing, its not fun for all of us.

Not trying to turn this into a personal thing, but there are those of us who really cant afford for gas prices to go up while the dumb ass U.S. government sits on their asses and doesnt do anything to find alternate sources of fuel.

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031
    I wonder why there is so much trolling going on this thread.  Did I say, something bad?

Originally posted by Betrayal-X
    I wonder why there is so much trolling going on this thread.  Did I say, something bad?

No you said nothing bad, its posters like the one previous to you that dont get the argument.

Shit in the U.S. is to damned spread out to walk.  You think I can walk over a 9 mile bridge that has no damned walking lane to get to school?  You think I can walk to my job that is in the next town over, which is only accessible by the freeway.

The poster previous to you is taking a cheap shot at American culture, by trying to call of us in the U.S. fat and that magically by not driving and everybody walking, it will cure the fat problem.  Being fat has nothing to do what so ever with what the OP was saying, so stop with that argument.

The real argument was supposed to be gas prices, which are skyrocketing, and screwing over the people who rely on it.  If you think about it, the whole U.S. culture relies on oil.  Factories need it to produce, electricity plants use it, our cars use it, our military uses it.  Oil is really the largest thing in U.S. society that could totally shut us down if we dont have it.

In general, its not the consumers fault that the prices are rising.  Of course it is fueled by the morons who have to have the big cars that get 12mpg, but if you think about it, most of the problem is the government.  For years our relationship with the middle east has gone down the toilet.  It began before any of the Bushes where  in office(for those looking to  take a shot at the current administration).

Also the government is doing a piss poor job at looking for alternative fuel.  THe reason thats happening is because the muckity mucks up top, Democratic or Republican, get bought out by the oil corps in order to keep oil the main fuel supply.  Private companies have a hard time finding alternate fuels because its so expensive and the chance of profit is pretty slim right now.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

In general, its not the consumers fault that the prices are rising.  Of course it is fueled by the morons who have to have the big cars that get 12mpg, but if you think about it, most of the problem is the government.  For years our relationship with the middle east has gone down the toilet.  It began before any of the Bushes where  in office(for those looking to  take a shot at the current administration).

Yup that was my main point and I stand by it..

If people think they can continue to drive SUV's the size of small 3rd world nations for ever then they are even dumber than I suspect (which would be hard). Any company that releases a vehicle with a massive motor and piss poor miles per gal ratios these days should have the first few models off the production line inserted in the designers rectums... Its just lunacy in this day and age!

The sooner Governments require vehicle manufacturers to produce cars based on energy efficiency and safety, instead of size and speed, the fast this situation will begin to resolve itself.

A friend of mine who is an even bigger skeptic of the nature of mankind than me, has a theory that says basically "man will not do anything about anything unitl it reaches no choice crisis proportions" is looking more and more correct everyday.

No one will seriously look at cars through sane eyes, or examine alternative fuels.. until western economies are on the brink of collapse... just watch...

If you want a glaring example... Indonesia's economy is in bannana republic mode freefall right now, why ?? Because successive governments have subsidised fuel prices to ensure popularity with the voters. So now that their currency has inflated 3% every 24 hours for the last week... what do they do ?? Not stop fuel subsidies... nooooo... raise interest rates....imageimage

Thats people....

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• InstagoInstago Member Posts: 109

Well, here in Montana we actually have a use for those SUVs (and if you have one here in town, it's not so bad because 95% of us drive on rough roads where you would not want to take a normal city car) so I don't see their use here as bad. Though I dont understand why the hell people that live in cities 24/7 would want a SUV >< or a rugged offroady car with four wheel drive etc.

Hey as someone who generally lives in country areas (right now living in town for the first time in 15+ years) I have no issues with people on rural properties having a vehicle that suits thier needs.

As for these people who live in the middle of cities and drive (to quote GTA Vice City Radio Ad)

"The Mibatsu Monstrosity, I live in the city and have 4 children, so naturally I need a vehicle capable of crossing artic tundra..... etc etc"

Its just a compensation item for "other things", refred to in Australia as "BCSD" syndrome... Big Car Small %$#^

Incidentally I have been riding motorcycles for 21 years this month image Thats not a joke, so even though on my last property which wa 200km from the city I owned a Nissan 4WD, I felt it was justified and we went off road with it basically every weekend and carted hay, and sheep etc etc.. now Im in town I ride my bike about 95% of the time... and if not I have a 4cyl, 2.4L deisel pickup... with a top speed of like 60mph that gets 500 + miles to a tank....

People just have to get over this want to own freakin 18 wheelers for city use... Im not trying to dictate to anyone.. and I strongly believe people should be able to own whatever car they want... but people also have to take some personal responsibility for whats happening to this planet... or alternatively STFU about things like gas prices...

Lets face it the easiest way to pay less for gas is to drive a more economical vehicle.. its not rocket science... my bke is a 1340cc worked Suzuki Bandit.... its a wheelie nightmare with power to burn... and I put in $15 of gas and it lasts me a week... you can have the best of both worlds... but it means using your brain.... OUCH! I hate it when I have to do that image

Thats not me riding... (I wish I had Matt's Mad Skillz) but that is my bike image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

Yea, sorry if I came off as kinda hostile before Razor. ::::20::

I live near San Fran and I see so many large cars like suburbans, Yukons, huge trucks, and all of those. There isnt even farm land or country side near me for 100 or so miles. I think our gov needs to step in and put a limit on how much fuel cars consume.

No your right Lan.... its overdue in most countries.... Australia is no better

In Melbourne they call them "toorak tractors" mums in massive offroad vehicles with a baby seat in back, that never leave the burbs... its madness..

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

US oil companies are pulling in +$30,000,000 a day or a $BILLION a month. The gov't is getting it's share with 40 to 65% mark up on the retail. You might be supprised how much the gov't pulls in taxing gasoline, cigaretts... plus how much of a business dept. of corrections is... besides a place to control minorities with little to offer the 'legal' employable market.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

3.19/gallon in Moore, Oklahoma this morning. It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a nice mass transit system set up, but no, nothing at all.

As for Chavez, he just slapped Pat Robertson in the face by offering the US free food, water and oil.

• KhoalKhoal Member Posts: 84

Was $2.55 Tuesday early morning.  By the time I drove home from the lab, the price was $2.75.  Probably even more expensive now.

Fortunately the only place I really NEED to drive to is the lab.  Everywhere else I can reach by bicycle.

Aside:  Has anyone heard anything about whether or not the Mississippi river has been closed to commercial traffic?

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629
    F**k gas.. I cant wait till they start selling H2o ran cars.. Im gunna start taking the bus when I only have to go short distances. All these gas problems are making me regret having a car... image
  • dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Jumped 30 cents in the past 4 hours here. It's currently at $2.99/regular.

• ZnithZnith Member Posts: 212

Was $2.68 this morning. By the time I went to lunch at 1pm it was $3.08. This is in the Ohio Valley

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Be prepared for it to get much worse

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes

$4/gal average?

Good luck to ya if you're in one of those "above average" places.

Before you know it, we'll all be riding mopeds to work.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

Originally posted by dekron
    3.19/gallon in Moore, Oklahoma this morning. It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a nice mass transit system set up, but no, nothing at all.As for Chavez, he just slapped Pat Robertson in the face by offering the US free food, water and oil.

Just paid $2.98 at the cheapest place I could find, so although not 3.19, still damn expensive.

Yep, I wish the mass transit system actually worked so it would be feasible. In order to take the transit near me I would have to drive to the train, pay for parking, pay for the train fair both ways back, then drive back home at the end of the day. Mass transit ends up being more expensive than driving. I would take a bus across the bridge to college, but in order to do that I would have to take 2 transfer routes to get to the cross Bay bus, while paying $1.75 for each bus ride. Mass transit sucks.

Where I live in Oz right now its averaging about $1.40 AUD per litre... roughly translated... 4 litres to the gallon so $5.60 p/g minus about 30% for the exchange rate so I guess about $4.10 p/g and rising image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+