Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a mysterious problem posting when I quote a previous post

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
edited May 2023 in Help Desk
On several occasions in the past day or so if I try to post in a thread quoting a previous post I get a pop-up black box on the bottom left with a light bulb icon and no text and the "post" button does nothing. Posting the same thing without quoting works just fine though.

It doesn't always happen but it seems to be happening more often than not now.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

KyleranTheocritus

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I was going to quote you and tell you that mine is fine, but it happened to me, a small black box with a yellow light blub appears in the bottom left of Edge. You can close the box but do nothing else.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2023
    Scot said:
    I was going to quote you and tell you that mine is fine, but it happened to me, a small black box with a yellow light blub appears in the bottom left of Edge. You can close the box but do nothing else.
    I ran into that several times over the weekend, usually, but not always when I tried to inset a GIF.

Might have been happening on multi quote threads ...or not.

Edit: no issue with a quote, 

No issue with a GIF today either...but as mentioned it was random, happened like 3 times or so over the weekend.

Thought it might also have been because the posts I quoted were somewhat longer, but you said it happened to you just now on a short post.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2023
    Iselin said:
    On several occasions in the past day or so if I try to post in a thread quoting a previous post I get a pop-up black box on the bottom left with a light bulb icon and no text and the "post" button does nothing. Posting the same thing without quoting works just fine though.

If you quote deleting the posters name and typing it back in you can quote, hope that helps!
    IselinKyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited May 2023
    2 weeks been having this issue and two long posts got the light bulb thing so I stopped posting. I may have quoted , not too sure about that.

And just now I did a quote in another thread and it worked as normal, maybe it is just random?
    Kyleran
    edited May 2023
    @Iselin said:

Quoting OP to see if it fails

Yes, it did fail for me, deleted Iselin's name as recommended, put it back in with the @ in front of his name (unlike Scot) and it worked fine also.

My software test training is serving me well this morning, next we can see if the root cause is the use of half byte Japanese characters or something.

Maybe it only happens to Canadian accounts?

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @Scot said:
    Mine is on Chrome. Haven't tried other browsers
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Kyleran said:
    @Iselin said:

Quoting OP to see if it fails

Yes, it did fail for me, deleted Iselin's name as recommended, put it back in with the @ in front of his name (unlike Scot) and it worked fine also.

My software test training is serving me well this morning, next we can see if the root cause is the use of half byte Japanese characters or something.

Maybe it only happens to Canadian accounts?

;)

It seems that does work when it happens as it is again now, I tried to quote you without using it. The only problem with @name is that posters get a notification of the reply, which may annoy some.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    This happens to me as well. Mobile as well.

Next time I'll try deleting the name and putting it back in.

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    edited May 2023
    Hmm, quoted people, got the black box with light bulb, deleted quotes, and now ...

Using Firefox on Linux.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Also getting that replies count greater than the views count bug on the Recent Discussions page. I'm seeing 10 replies and 8 views for this thread which is obviously impossible :)
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2023
    Second test.

1) quoted a post, got the black box.
    2) deleted quote, still getting black box. Got 6 of them.
    3) copy/pasted from my previous attempt without a quote, still getting black box.
    4) backed off of page, got back on, tried new post without a quote, still getting black box.
    5) closed down web page, logged back in, can post now without a quote.
    Kyleran

------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I've used Google chrome, Opera and it happens in both of them

edited May 2023
    Now getting the black box when trying to edit a post that has no quoted content.

Edit test 1. worked
    Edit test 2. failed, canceled, tried again, It worked. Does not require any quoted content.
    Kyleran

------------

edited May 2023
    Olepi Said:

Second test. 1) quoted a post, got the black box. 2) deleted quote, still getting black box. Got 6 of them. 3) copy/pasted from my previous attempt without a quote, still getting black box. 4) backed off of page, got back on, tried new post without a quote, still getting black box. 5) closed down web page, logged back in, can post now without a quote.

Now my solution is not working, I had to cut and paste to quote you.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited May 2023
    I have been having the same problem and it does not always happen. Just sometimes and its only when I quote someone. 

Edit: Edge is only what I use. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited May 2023
    I had the problem a couple of times. Copying the message, refreshing page, pasting message, and then trying to post it again fixed it for me.

edited May 2023
    @Scot said:
    Olepi Said:

Second test. 1) quoted a post, got the black box. 2) deleted quote, still getting black box. Got 6 of them. 3) copy/pasted from my previous attempt without a quote, still getting black box. 4) backed off of page, got back on, tried new post without a quote, still getting black box. 5) closed down web page, logged back in, can post now without a quote.

Now my solution is not working, I had to cut and paste to quote you.
    Interesting, I just used your solution in another thread with @ in front of user name and it worked fine....lol and again on your name here as it failed again.

edited May 2023
    When the problem happens, switch to HTML -view

</> -button above the text edit box.
    ValdemarJ

• ValdemarJValdemarJ Member RarePosts: 1,068
    Firefox on Windows 11 and haven't had the issue at all and don't seem able to trigger it. I tried quoting several posts. Browser extensions could be a problem for some, but with so many people having the issue, that doesn't seem likely.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (22624.1755, 1000.22642.1000.0)

Firefox 113.0.1 64 bit
    Extensions: Bitwarden, Facebook Container, Multi-Account Containers, uBlock Origin
    ValdemarJ said:
    Firefox on Windows 11 and haven't had the issue at all and don't seem able to trigger it. I tried quoting several posts. Browser extensions could be a problem for some, but with so many people having the issue, that doesn't seem likely.

Firefox 113.0.1 64 bit
    Extensions: Bitwarden, Facebook Container, Multi-Account Containers, uBlock Origin
    Win 11, Chrome, no extensions. I've had the problem now multiple times.
    ValdemarJ

• ValdemarJValdemarJ Member RarePosts: 1,068
    Vrika said:
    ValdemarJ said:

Firefox 113.0.1 64 bit
    Did you notice broken or malformed HTML when you went into that view? Did you have to make fixes or edits? Maybe that could be the culprit?
    ValdemarJ said:
    Vrika said:
    ValdemarJ said:

Firefox 113.0.1 64 bit
    Did you notice broken or malformed HTML when you went into that view? Did you have to make fixes or edits? Maybe that could be the culprit?
    No. The post you quoted was fixed using that method. I just switched editor to HTML -view, clicked "Post Comment", and it came out fine.

EDIT: This post is also fixed using that method
    ValdemarJ

edited May 2023
    Vrika said:
    ValdemarJ said:
    Vrika said:
    ValdemarJ said:

Firefox 113.0.1 64 bit
    No. The post you quoted was fixed using that method. I just switched editor to HTML -view, clicked "Post Comment", and it came out fine.

EDIT: This post is also fixed using that method

Yes it worked for me, but then my solution worked until it did not :) Hopefully yours is full proof. 
    edited May 2023
    Vrika said:
    When the problem happens, switch to HTML -view

</> -button above the text edit box.
    Not seeing that button on the Samsung phone browser