Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Year In Gaming...

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Brainy said:
    olepi said:
    Brainy said:
    Its not so simple to just tell people to wait.
    The problem with waiting is the game becomes stale for most people.

Get in early has benefits like:
    Discovery
    Exploration
    Lots of people
    Groups dont already know everything
    Game is more difficult
    Easier to create a top guild
    Server Firsts
    More competitive

When you wait, every group you are in already knows the entire encounter. Also games make the game EZ mode 1-2 years after release.  The game is completely a different newbiefied game.

If you get in late to a game all you get is spoilers.  Even if you ignore the internet, groups will spoil it because they all know everything, and people in chat spoiling everything.  All the alts have been there done that.  Game is just more boring.

Getting in Late is not the answer for most people.

This kind of highlights what is wrong with gaming, at least MMORPG's, these days. People want to rush to do everything, get it done, and then move to the next game. Any new players after the first rush will be left behind.

So the game developers want to cash in on that first rush, and push their game out long before it is ready. They know that if they take too long, the rush will be over.

For MMORPG's, I usually wait a year or more after release, to let the game finish baking and get some of the bugs fixed. That doesn't work as well when everybody is a content locust and they rush through the game as soon as possible. After a year has gone by, the game is boring.

Now with the "soft" releases that are happening, the initial rush is over long before the game is actually finished. Alpha, beta, and release mean nothing anymore; developers try to cash in on that initial rush as soon as something "wiggles".
    I am not disagreeing with you about the merits.  I was just explaining why many people rush into games.  

I personally wish devs would go back to paid testers, and wait until release before opening the game to the public.  I also wish they would put out a quality product on the release date versus releasing the game in alpha.

However I dont see that happening, just like I dont see people stopping to rush into a game they think they will like for all the reasons I stated.

For me, waiting a year or 2 to play, is essentially saying I am going to skip the game.  I can sometimes get into a solo game years after a release, but definitely not an MMORPG.
    Rather than explain how your friend was both right and wrong at the same time I think this player's experience (48 hrs) in PVP despite only having limited experience might do a better job of it.

As for EVE taking years it's true, but just like sports in real life, one plays in a lot of different leagues from Pee Wee ball to the Majors and they all have opportunities to acheive recognition as one works their way upwards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Rather than explain how your friend was both right and wrong at the same time I think this player's experience (48 hrs) in PVP despite only having limited experience might do a better job of it.

As for EVE taking years it's true, but just like sports in real life, one plays in a lot of different leagues from Pee Wee ball to the Majors and they all have opportunities to acheive recognition as one works their way upwards.
    While that is still fine in EvE I am not sure a new game could launch that way, games like EvE and WoW depend on older players far more than a new game. Would todays players be happy coming in two years down the line knowing it is going to take years to catch up, if they ever will?

This is just one element of what the one MMO-suits-all approach has done to reduce the diversity of our gameplay. 
    Glad to see MMORPG.com giving Redfall a 3.0, if reviewers are going to give games that launched too early a pass because they are on a Pass, then gaming is in trouble.

Like I said before though, I see nothing fundamentally wrong with the game; put the content in, sort the AI and they will have a good game. Just do the work we expect for the money you are taking. These Passes are not free guys, so no game on the Pass is free.
    Kyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I buy what I buy and enjoy what I enjoy.
    I try and not get so lost in the weeds over overanalyzes.
    Well you must have a process for deciding what it is you are going to buy, what is that for you? I am finding it increasingly hard to work out what I will enjoy because of this trend to release unfinished games. So for me this is not just about making sure the customer gets what he paid for, it is about gaming becoming more of a pain in the arse when it comes to working out what is a solid release.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Brainy said:

I am not going to wait a year, or a decade to be end game competitive.  So getting in early is the only way for PVP, at least in MMO's.  Sometimes games will announce a fresh start server, but even in that case people with 10 years of knowledge and tricks just catapult to the top.

This is a big reason PVPers jump really early into games.

MMO's can change a lot over the span of a year. Take ESO for example, they completely changed how the end game works (remember veteran levels?), and also totally changed how the map works (One Tamriel) after launching the game. Waiting a year means you play the new game, not what released.

As for PvP, it took me close to a year in DAOC to hit reach the PvP end game, and there was no problem at all from doing that. In fact, DAOC changed the end game map to New Frontiers a few years after release.

City of Heroes changed the end game a lot with Incarnate Powers, in issue *19*.

So waiting a year in a MMO really means you play the current game, not what was released.
    ScotKyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited May 2023
    And during the time you guys are wondering if you are going to buy or not, maybe buy later or not, maybe wait for a sale or not, I'm playing games.

The OP is a good example of people who spend more time on forums talking about games they don't play than they spend actually playing games.

Life is too short. Don't be bitter, take some risks, have fun.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, ‘Wow, what a ride!!”

This.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ValdemarJValdemarJ Member RarePosts: 1,107
    My philosophy as well.

The decision making process on what to play is very simple for me. Do I want to play this, yes or no?
    The_Korrigan
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    olepi said:
    Brainy said:

I am not going to wait a year, or a decade to be end game competitive.  So getting in early is the only way for PVP, at least in MMO's.  Sometimes games will announce a fresh start server, but even in that case people with 10 years of knowledge and tricks just catapult to the top.

This is a big reason PVPers jump really early into games.

MMO's can change a lot over the span of a year. Take ESO for example, they completely changed how the end game works (remember veteran levels?), and also totally changed how the map works (One Tamriel) after launching the game. Waiting a year means you play the new game, not what released.

As for PvP, it took me close to a year in DAOC to hit reach the PvP end game, and there was no problem at all from doing that. In fact, DAOC changed the end game map to New Frontiers a few years after release.

So waiting a year in a MMO really means you play the current game, not what was released.
    Yeah and ESO also nerfed dungeons like ICP and WGT, basically making the bosses trivial, also with champion points your character is way more powerful in all the zones, which makes those trivial also.  Waiting too long after it releases means you will get an EZ mode game.

Its not like these games are making it harder, if you wait.

If you like EZ mode, thats fine I suppose.  But for people that want to play when its challenging, waiting wont work.

No its not a new game, its a tweaked game, that is dumbed down.  Most the top players are old players, most the top guilds are old guilds.  Starting late has huge disadvantages to people that are competitive.

I am not talking QOL either, I am talking EZ mode gameplay happens as the games get older.
    Sensai
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Brainy said:
    Its not so simple to just tell people to wait.
    The problem with waiting is the game becomes stale for most people.

Get in early has benefits like:
    Discovery
    Exploration
    Lots of people
    Groups dont already know everything
    Game is more difficult
    Easier to create a top guild
    Server Firsts
    More competitive

When you wait, every group you are in already knows the entire encounter. Also games make the game EZ mode 1-2 years after release.  The game is completely a different newbiefied game.

If you get in late to a game all you get is spoilers.  Even if you ignore the internet, groups will spoil it because they all know everything, and people in chat spoiling everything.  All the alts have been there done that.  Game is just more boring.

Getting in Late is not the answer for most people.
    A game that is no longer going to be in a playable state several months after launch is probably a game that I don't want to play at all, whether at launch or otherwise.
    ScotKyleran
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    And during the time you guys are wondering if you are going to buy or not, maybe buy later or not, maybe wait for a sale or not, I'm playing games.

The OP is a good example of people who spend more time on forums talking about games they don't play than they spend actually playing games.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, ‘Wow, what a ride!!”

This.

There's an enormous difference between saying "I won't play this new game yet but will play this older game instead for now" and "I won't play this new game yet but will instead spend my time whining about how there's nothing good to play".  I do the former a whole lot.
    The_Korrigan
    Quizzical said:

This.

There's an enormous difference between saying "I won't play this new game yet but will play this older game instead for now" and "I won't play this new game yet but will instead spend my time whining about how there's nothing good to play".  I do the former a whole lot.

I can agree with that.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

This.

Is it possible for you to do a post without an personal attack? Nope.
    edited May 2023
    olepi said:

This is true, waiting a year on a solo player is nothing like waiting a year on a MMO. But MMOs do tend to be the ones that get more work done on them in the first year, so to a certain extent that wait is worth it.

Brainy said:
    Yeah and ESO also nerfed dungeons like ICP and WGT, basically making the bosses trivial, also with champion points your character is way more powerful in all the zones, which makes those trivial also.  Waiting too long after it releases means you will get an EZ mode game.

Its not like these games are making it harder, if you wait.

If you like EZ mode, thats fine I suppose.  But for people that want to play when its challenging, waiting wont work.

No its not a new game, its a tweaked game, that is dumbed down.  Most the top players are old players, most the top guilds are old guilds.  Starting late has huge disadvantages to people that are competitive.

I am not talking QOL either, I am talking EZ mode gameplay happens as the games get older.

What you guys are picking up on is that there is never a perfect moment to start a MMO, for me it is a trade off between wanting to see improvements and realising that the longer you wait the more easy mode a game will become. But then I tend to come in at the few months after launch point unless I have serious concerns. A year is a long wait, that said still waiting on New World to shape up (NMS is the only other MMO I waited this long to buy), but optimistic about the end of this year.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2023
    Scot said:
    What you guys are picking up on is that there is never a perfect moment to start a MMO,...
    Maybe not a perfect moment but from my experience MMOs are best when you start at launch and everything is new and not explored, streamed and min/maxed to death.

Of course to enjoy that you need to be OK with the inevitable bugs, performance issues and unbalanced skills, classes, etc. that are always there at launch. But it's worth it.

The feel of a fresh MMO trumps all the "OMG it's so broken!" horseshit players love to whine about these days.

Expect broken, grow a pair and enjoy yourself.

BrainyThe_Korrigan
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Scot said:

What you guys are picking up on is that there is never a perfect moment to start a MMO, for me it is a trade off between wanting to see improvements and realising that the longer you wait the more easy mode a game will become.

Right at the start is the best time to start.  When is the best time to get into anything where you want to be competitive or well known.  When is the best time to start a race, late?  When is the best time to get into a new field?  

Starting first gives a huge advantage.  Staying ahead, once ahead is much easier.
    The_Korrigan
    edited May 2023
    Brainy said:
    Scot said:

What you guys are picking up on is that there is never a perfect moment to start a MMO, for me it is a trade off between wanting to see improvements and realising that the longer you wait the more easy mode a game will become.

Right at the start is the best time to start.  When is the best time to get into anything where you want to be competitive or well known.  When is the best time to start a race, late?  When is the best time to get into a new field?  

Starting first gives a huge advantage.  Staying ahead, once ahead is much easier.
    I agree on both counts. but I can see why its a good idea to wait too, that's why apart from NMS (if I can call that a MMO) and NW I have always planned to be there after only a few months in. That said a much bigger factor is that I only play one MMORPG at a time, which has been the decider far more often than considerations about the State of the Game.

It is also I reason I don't worry about catching up because I am not trying to play a few on the go. That and the fact guilds and RP are a big part of MMOs for me.
    Kyleran
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    What you guys are picking up on is that there is never a perfect moment to start a MMO,...
    Maybe not a perfect moment but from my experience MMOs are best when you start at launch and everything is new and not explored, streamed and min/maxed to death.

Of course to enjoy that you need to be OK with the inevitable bugs, performance issues and unbalanced skills, classes, etc. that are always there at launch. But it's worth it.

The feel of a fresh MMO trumps all the "OMG it's so broken!" horseshit players love to whine about these days.

My kind of guy.

In my opinion, most gamers have become fragile little flowers complaining about everything, like most of our society anyway. They are no longer pioneers willing to take a risk.

I've lived through very harsh launches. UO was a mess, AO was even worse, AC1 or EQ weren't clean either. DAoC had terrible performance in PvP making it a slideshow. WoW had months of queues and lag problems.

But I was there, I was a pioneer, I lived through it, and I had fun. And I will keep on doing so. As my fellow pioneer said above, grow a pair.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

My kind of guy.

In my opinion, most gamers have become fragile little flowers complaining about everything, like most of our society anyway. They are no longer pioneers willing to take a risk.

I've lived through very harsh launches. UO was a mess, AO was even worse, AC1 or EQ weren't clean either. DAoC had terrible performance in PvP making it a slideshow. WoW had months of queues and lag problems.

But I was there, I was a pioneer, I lived through it, and I had fun. And I will keep on doing so. As my fellow pioneer said above, grow a pair.
    Lol, gamers are pioneers for playing a new, unproven game? I would be careful about calling out people as conforming to a soft society when you are looking for props for clicking a mouse.

I think the reality shows that the number of vocal gamers is a very small portion of the population and that gamers blindly accepting unfinished, over-monitized games is far more prevalent. Being smooth-brained is vastly more detrimental to gaming than people complaining about broken games.
    ScotKyleran

edited May 2023
    Sensai said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

My kind of guy.

Lol, gamers are pioneers for playing a new, unproven game? I would be careful about calling out people as conforming to a soft society when you are looking for props for clicking a mouse.

I think the reality shows that the number of vocal gamers is a very small portion of the population and that gamers blindly accepting unfinished, over-monitized games is far more prevalent. Being smooth-brained is vastly more detrimental to gaming than people complaining about broken games.
    This is the problem, are we being a "pioneer" as I was in DAOC, CoH (played on the US servers with the lag to show for it!), Lotro, ESO and others, or setting ourselves up for a poor gaming experience? These days I find myself thinking that hardcore is what you do, not when you start playing. That said I would never say to players "don't start at launch" only "don't start at beta" but that's more to keep the game fresh for when you properly start to play.
    UwakionnaKyleran
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited May 2023
    Brainy said:
    Scot said:

Perhaps that is the difference, I don't think of MMO's as a "race". I don't want to be well known.

MMO's to me are a virtual world to live and play in, not a race to see who can win the most points. For that, I want a full-featured world that is fully cooked, not a "early release beta". I don't jump in to beat others to the end.

When is the best time to get into a new field? I started network/UNIX programming in 1977, does that mean nobody should start learning it now? My first microprocessor chip was done in 1979, does that mean nobody should go into chip design now? Back then, we used paper teletypes, floppy disks, and monitors without color. Was that the best time to start? Or is now a better time to get into the field?

However, I guess if your main goal is to race to get to the top of the epeen charts first, then starting at the very beginning makes sense.
    Kyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Scot said:
    Sensai said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

My kind of guy.

This is the problem, are we being a "pioneer" as I was in DAOC, CoH (played on the US servers with the lag to show for it!), Lotro, ESO and others, or setting ourselves up for a poor gaming experience? These days I find myself thinking that hardcore is what you do, not when you start playing. That said I would never say to players "don't start at launch" only "don't start at beta" but that's more to keep the game fresh for when you properly start to play.
    Again,  I think pioneer is overselling it.  There is a difference between self-sufficiency and figuring things out for yourself and straight up broken or half-baked games.  I too was there for the beginnings of DAoC, LotRO, TESO and others and dealt with the lack of information,  lag, etc. But I see that as I totally different situation than what we are seeing in alot of recent releases.

As to starting at launch, I would suggest people jump in at launch, particularly on mmorpgs, as that experience will not be replicated a few months down the road.  You just need to go in with that understanding and not complain about it simply because it is a new/raw experience. 
    Kyleran

edited May 2023
    Sensai said:
    Again,  I think pioneer is overselling it.  There is a difference between self-sufficiency and figuring things out for yourself and straight up broken or half-baked games.  I too was there for the beginnings of DAoC, LotRO, TESO and others and dealt with the lack of information,  lag, etc. But I see that as I totally different situation than what we are seeing in alot of recent releases.

As to starting at launch, I would suggest people jump in at launch, particularly on mmorpgs, as that experience will not be replicated a few months down the road.  You just need to go in with that understanding and not complain about it simply because it is a new/raw experience. 
    I certainly see more reasons for starting at launch in a MMO than a solo game, but also you tend to get more issues, it is a trade of. I still have the same pioneering "pair" I did back then (Overselling? Its making a virtue out of not making sure you are buying a solid product, that's just silly to me), but it lacks forward thinking not to be more cautious these days and most MMOs don't give you a huge advantage to starting early.

Back then it all depended on how the current MMO was doing and what my guild/s were thinking of doing. It was a joint decision, we would always have those saying 'go early' and those saying 'hang on'. So this issue has been there since the start for guilds.
    Kyleran
    Sensai said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

My kind of guy.

You're confusing "unproven" and "untested".
    All the games I purchased, I've tested before for free, during open beta tests.
    And I've purchased because I believed in them.

And we are not talking about people complaining about broken games... but people complaining about games they haven't even played !
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Scot said:

This.

Is it possible for you to do a post without an personal attack? Nope.

Quoting myself:

"In my opinion, most gamers have become fragile little flowers complaining about everything, like most of our society anyway. "
    Exsiras
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !