Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Blizzard do it again?

13»

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Scot said:
    it may not even be a MMO.

This is the thing for me, I just can't imagine that this game will be an MMO.

Now, if this had been announced after the Microsoft acquisition, then I'd believe it. I can imagine MS wanting to show off their server power, much the same way Amazon has been attempting to do with New World.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Scot said:
    it may not even be a MMO.

This is the thing for me, I just can't imagine that this game will be an MMO.

Now, if this had been announced after the Microsoft acquisition, then I'd believe it. I can imagine MS wanting to show off their server power, much the same way Amazon has been attempting to do with New World.
    "Now, if this had been announced after the Microsoft acquisition, then I'd believe it."

LOL.
    Agreed. But I have a feeling that bad judgement will still rule the day, as seems all too common in recent years. 
    Scot

Once upon a time....

Blizzard already made that "the king of MMOs". WoW was an unbelievable success.

Albeit I personally dont like it for various reasons, but mainly really the ugly graphics. I want my characters to look realistic, or at least of a stylized beauty. WoW character design is just ugly and absurd.

The question is will this genre actually prosper. Or is it currently simply out of fashion.

High end Graphics are the downfall of mmorpgs,
    What is needed is a full game where developers concentrate on making a game !

Throughout the years, I found many companies don't have a clue on programming a game, yet they go for the best graphics.

Going for graphics is stupid and a HUGE waste of resources.

I agree about graphics. There is so much more they can do with MMORPGs if they cut down on those graphics that would make the games better in a depth and width sort of way, and much more fun to play. 

Once upon a time....

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    edited April 2023
    It's true that today's Blizzard is not the same Blizzard that made WoW. But it's also true that Blizzard is not a single monolithic team. They have different teams working on different games.

This is a new game, with a new team. Maybe this team has the right ideas and a true vision. With the right kind of talent, they can make the next KING of MMOs.

It's fun to dream sometimes.

About the survival aspect... the unofficial Hardcore mode in WoW is growing in popularity. They say classic is blowing up because of it. They also say that blizzard is actually going to make it an official mode based on datamined info and now a tweet by the current president of Blizzard

Survival might actually be the next big thing in MMOs. Project Ascension, which they say is one of the best private servers, has a survival mode. And hardcore is a staple in games like Diablo. Survival/hardcore might not be as unpopular as we'd think.

Post edited by finefluff on
    ScotBabuinix
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited April 2023

Err ... I demanded pretty graphics, not highend graphics.

I want realistic style (Vanguard) or stylized (many asian MMOs, like Lineage), not horrendously ugly western comic style with riddiculously oversized shoulder armor etc.
    AmarantharPr0tag0ni5t
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Err ... I demanded pretty graphics, not highend graphics.

I want realistic style (Vanguard) or stylized (many asian MMOs, like Lineage), not horrendously ugly western comic style with riddiculously oversized shoulder armor etc.
    Hay @Adamantine I hope I didn't insult you, infact I have a lot of respect from you post and admire your passion for Vanguard.  I had a lot on passion also, but not played near as much as you.... I always looked for all your post and all you had to say. because I miss it too.

I understand you love for graphics, however in my humble opinion I feel graphics severely damaged Vanguard in the long run to the point it never really truly release in it's state it should have been.

If your following Pantheon where their insisting of GRAPHICS their walking down the same road of failure, when their is no reasion to fail as it's appearance of what were seeing.  
    AmarantharPr0tag0ni5t
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Good graphics does not necessarily meant bleeding edge. I have seen many stylized graphics that look good.

There are even mobile games that manage decent looking games, more importantly is the gameplay.

I think Blizzard will succeed. They have a huge fan base.
    Scot

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    kitarad said:
    Good graphics does not necessarily meant bleeding edge. I have seen many stylized graphics that look good.

There are even mobile games that manage decent looking games, more importantly is the gameplay.

I think Blizzard will succeed. They have a huge fan base.
    Yes, MMORPG's don't need to compete with state of the art solo games, which is what they seem to want to do, that or have 2D graphics! There is a happy middle path, for me that's where Lotro is now, it shows my minimum graphics requirement for a MMO. It also is just about where I think a MMO should be when it comes to cartoony versus realistic.

Too cartoony and MMOs look like they are for children, too realistic and they seem dated after only a few years or even at launch.
    kitaradAmaranthar
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Just for clarification: with realistic looks I again just mean it looks real, not that its high resolution.

You could present me with WoW style graphics in any high resolution you wanted, I would still dislike them.

While I would love it if a game obsessed over giving us completely realistic looking armor.

I'm the kind of player that spends hours in the designer trying to get my character look just right.

I'm the kind of player who levels a Gnome in Vanguard to 30+ with its crafter also at 30+ and then, when even after retrying many times to make the character look good, deleting said character and replacing him instead with a Darkelf of same class and crafter class. All just because I just couldnt get my Gnome to look like I wanted.

I did the same with my Goblin Shaman and I was so happy when I finally managed to make him look great. Which by the way doesnt mean he looked pretty. He's a Goblin, he was supposed to look ugly. But he also looked intelligent, and that was what was important for me.

I also refused to play Orc in Vanguard because Orcs again are supposed to look ugly, but also manly and heroic, and Vanguard Orcs just looked like pigs.

Or from a completely different game, in Neverwinter Nights 2 I refused to play anything but human because all the other races just looked so damn uber ugly.

So yes, how my character looks is very important for me. For the very same reason that I try to pick good names for them. I'm not much of a roleplayer, but I want my characters to feel like real people and I want them to look great.

Scot
    I recall many years ago when I first saw WoW it was in beta then and I was appalled by the art style. I thought it was tacky and so loud. 

Then I played a night elf. When I first walked into that glade and looked about at this blend of purple, pink and blue and something just clicked. It still looked like there were a lot of colours but it looked beautiful. It was so right for the game. It may be that the colour scheme and art taken separately were all the things I thought when I was not inside the game and playing it but as a night elf my skin colour and look really went well with how the land looked. I cannot explain it but that look is WoW and will always be associated with WoW. It's a signature that has not aged . Unlike other more realistic graphics that have weathered the time unkindly.

Pr0tag0ni5tBrotherMaynardcheyane

kitarad said:
    I recall many years ago when I first saw WoW it was in beta then and I was appalled by the art style. I thought it was tacky and so loud. 

Then I played a night elf. When I first walked into that glade and looked about at this blend of purple, pink and blue and something just clicked. It still looked like there were a lot of colours but it looked beautiful. It was so right for the game. It may be that the colour scheme and art taken separately were all the things I thought when I was not inside the game and playing it but as a night elf my skin colour and look really went well with how the land looked. I cannot explain it but that look is WoW and will always be associated with WoW. It's a signature that has not aged . Unlike other more realistic graphics that have weathered the time unkindly.

Yes, the atmosphere ca be very cool. 
    It's like some restaurants that set a period feel with their decor. 
    I once ran across a restaurant while vacationing that had decor to feel like WW1 era flight. They had a bandstand outside with a roof that had a big hole in it that looked like a bomb hit it. 
    Inside they had decor like leather flight jackets, helmets with goggles, lots of old looking letters and books, and even old fashioned telephones...

all around that you could call other tables with. 
    Fun little place. 

Then there was a restaurant that was made like a medieval hall, with suits of armor and weapons all about on the walls and above a huge fire-lit stone hearth. Little wall mount waterfalls with plants vining up the wall and lilies in the water basin. 

It all sets a mood, for fun. 

kitarad

Once upon a time....

kitarad said:

I once ran across a restaurant while vacationing that had decor to feel like WW1 era flight. They had a bandstand outside with a roof that had a big hole in it that looked like a bomb hit it. 
    Inside they had decor like leather flight jackets, helmets with goggles, lots of old looking letters and books, and even old fashioned telephones...

Fun little place. 

Then there was a restaurant that was made like a medieval hall, with suits of armor and weapons all about on the walls and above a huge fire-lit stone hearth. Little wall mount waterfalls with plants vining up the wall and lilies in the water basin. 

My I would have loved to have gone there to see it.

kitarad said:
    kitarad said:

Fun little place. 

My I would have loved to have gone there to see it.
    Have you ever been to a Kon Tiki restaurant? Do a search for images and get the idea. 
    I don't get out much anymore, but these kinds of things (atmosphere) used to be pretty widely done. I'm sure some steakhouses still do decor to fit, and vacationing places like seashore areas probably do too. 

I don't know how much of those kind of places are out there these days. The Middle Class used to be a lot bigger than it is now, so a lot less disposable income for it all. 

Once upon a time....

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    edited April 2023
    kitarad said:

It was very similar to my experience, coming to WoW from all my Warcraft 1-3 history. Night elves were my first faction, before starting I did a bit of research and determined that NE hunter would be my starting experience.

The combination of colour palette, music, ambient sound and similar artistic vision created something I would have never believed could be done (especially with their cartoony, low poly designs). If you told me that purple, blue and green was the way to go, I would have laughed you out of the server without a second thought - until I experienced it for myself.

Very unorthodox artistic choice all the way from Teldrassil to Ashenvale, but it worked like I would never have expected. That also leads me to believe that no, Activision no longer has it. They do not have the will nor the talent to recreate that past experience  and emotions, neither gameplay-wise, nor artistically. 

I am not saying they will not succeed (at something), after all, Activision these days is all about the Newton's 1st law, but 'doing it again'? I don't think so. There's too much sand in that machine to keep playing a pleasant tune.

Edit: just to add that when WoW Classic was released, I created a dwarf priest (my favourite race / class combo in WoW) and then spent hours running to Teldrassil just so that I could level up there and experience the first steps in WoW in that zone again. Far from the optimal approach to leveling, but I did enjoy it.

OldKingLog
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    I am not saying they will not succeed (at something), after all, Activision these days is all about the Newton's 1st law, but 'doing it again'? I don't think so. There's too much sand in that machine to keep playing a pleasant tune.

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an outside force"

You mean, that law?

Uh ...OK ...but I think your horrible analogy just described every business in the entire world.

So, good job I guess.

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    Xiaoki said:

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an outside force"

You mean, that law?

Uh ...OK ...but I think your horrible analogy just described every business in the entire world.

So, good job I guess.

No, I meant the 1st law:

"Every body continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, unless it is compelled to change that state by forces impressed upon it"

What you quoted is some popularised and a rather simplistic amalgamation of his first two laws, and not how Newton actually put it. Also, the second law is about something slightly different: "The change of motion of an object is proportional to the force impressed; and is made in the direction of the straight line in which the force is impressed."

Every business in the entire world? Exaggerating much? No, it's mostly the ossified businesses of this world, where the dull and the tedious and the sanitised is the norm. There are multitudes of business that are agile, innovative and creative. It is not Activision's case though. Well done on the exaggerated generalisations front, I guess.