Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Games you want to see shut down

13»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vynt said:
    I still play EQ1 at times. Usually a couple months every year.

Just looked at Throne and Liberty. ugh no.

"Player roles and abilities will be dictated by which weapons the player has equipped, and you are able to equip two of them, swapping between them at will."

I hate that mechanic so much.
    Right out of the modern action combat playbook.... I've learned to adapt, but sure wish I could switch out 3 weapons in NW.
    You could in the first beta I played. then they nerfed it down to 2.
    Interesting, so perhaps they'll consider adding it back one day, shouldn't be all that difficult to restore something that previously existed.

Yeah, really no chance of that happening. They'll add more ability slots (like Heartrune Gem) before they go back to 3 weapons.

On topic - a lot of old and nearly dead MMOs could be shut down. If LotRO was shut down we might get a new Middle Earth MMO. If D&DO and Neverwinter were shut down then we might get a new D&D MMO. The new MMOs might suck too but thats a chance Im willing to take.

Some genres of video games have the good sense to kill off unsuccessful old games to make room for new games, but not MMOs. And people wonder why the MMO genre has stagnated so much.

Who says they are unsuccessful? A game like Everquest that is 24 years old and has 30 expansions sounds pretty successful to me....They still have a decent sized player base and make a profit....Just because every game isn't WoW doesn't mean it is unsuccessful.
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited April 2023
    Xiaoki said:

Yeah, really no chance of that happening. They'll add more ability slots (like Heartrune Gem) before they go back to 3 weapons.

On topic - a lot of old and nearly dead MMOs could be shut down. If LotRO was shut down we might get a new Middle Earth MMO. If D&DO and Neverwinter were shut down then we might get a new D&D MMO. The new MMOs might suck too but thats a chance Im willing to take.

Some genres of video games have the good sense to kill off unsuccessful old games to make room for new games, but not MMOs. And people wonder why the MMO genre has stagnated so much.

We were getting a new Middle Earth MMORPG but there seemed to have been some dispute and Amazon no longer wanted to be part of it so the thing most likely stopped.

This was regardless of Lord of the Rings Online shutting down or not.

But again, even if shutting down Lord of the Rings Online would 100% make way for a new game, there is no guarantee that the new game would be good.

Case in point, I don't really like Dungeons and Dragons Online. Suddenly Cryptic announces it's making Neverwinter so I think "that's where I'll get a Dungeons and Dragons fix" and it also has a toolset for players  to make their own adventures!

It releases and I don't think it's good at all. And they eventually shut down the toolset.

Nope, games have to be taken for what they are in the moment. There are no guarantees that future games will be released let alone be any good.

edit: I'll also say that there are people still playing the games you listed. Given that MOST mmorpg's eventually settle for  a small population, it's a success story that those games are still running.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vynt said:

"Player roles and abilities will be dictated by which weapons the player has equipped, and you are able to equip two of them, swapping between them at will."

Right out of the modern action combat playbook.... I've learned to adapt, but sure wish I could switch out 3 weapons in NW.
    Interesting, so perhaps they'll consider adding it back one day, shouldn't be all that difficult to restore something that previously existed.

Yeah, this is like cutting dry branches on a tree. Except! You don't really know which branch is truly dry.

Also, do notice you used "COULD". You could also get nothing. Or a worse thing. Or NFT. Or another genre altogether.

I am not for killing off MMOs. And if someone wants to make a, idk, Warhammer RPG, who's stopping them? They just need to reach proper agreement with shareholders. Nothing needs to get killed off lol.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Gorwe said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vynt said:

Yeah, this is like cutting dry branches on a tree. Except! You don't really know which branch is truly dry.

Also, do notice you used "COULD". You could also get nothing. Or a worse thing. Or NFT. Or another genre altogether.

I am not for killing off MMOs. And if someone wants to make a, idk, Warhammer RPG, who's stopping them? They just need to reach proper agreement with shareholders. Nothing needs to get killed off lol.
    I think people believe some developers have been granted an exclusive license to create a MMORPG based on a particular IP (say Star Trek Online).

If true it does mean there can't be a new Star Trek MMO as long as the Cryptic version exists.

Not saying I know for sure that's why there have been no additional Star Trek MMOs, but it seems plausible.

Or maybe developers aren't very interested in creating new MMORPGS regardless what the IP might be.

Yeah, let's go with the latter explanation.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vynt said:

I think people believe some developers have been granted an exclusive license to create a MMORPG based on a particular IP (say Star Trek Online).

If true it does mean there can't be a new Star Trek MMO as long as the Cryptic version exists.

Not saying I know for sure that's why there have been no additional Star Trek MMOs, but it seems plausible.

Or maybe developers aren't very interested in creating new MMORPGS regardless what the IP might be.

Yeah, let's go with the latter explanation.

;)

I am against every form of exclusivity when it comes to games. But that's just me. A lot of others probably aren't. Leeches most certainly aren't.

But I would say that nobody's interested in making MMOs that much. It's a LOT of investment for uncertain gains. Why do that when there are other, more profitable, less exhaustive options?
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gorwe said:
    That is a faulty assumption, OP. That if an MMO shuts down, you are going to get a beautiful RPG you always wanted. But that's just it, an assumption. You might get ANYTHING: survival, strategy, gacha etc etc. And, yes, a WORSE game than you started out with.

Also, nothing against being selfish, but at least don't be shortsighted. If you want others to acknowledge your needs, you need to acknowledge theirs(even if you don't really think it).

Advocating for shutting down things, creating pain and obstacles IS phenomenally shortsighted. So, sorry OP, but no.

I might not like MMOs that much, but I am not gonna rally against them. An MMO is still an RPG and as such, a valuable experience. Or would you rather have NOTHING OVER SOMETHING?

I'd rather competition shut down a game, rather than some kind of mandate.  Make and release a phenomenal game that puts lingering games to shame.  You never know, the games that actually get closed in the face of a superior product might not be the ones you think.

KyleranGorwe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

This discussion has been closed.