Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision President and COO leaves and heads to Yuga Labs (Bored Ape Yacht Club) - Follow the money

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
edited March 2023 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

For those of you who do not know Yuga is developing a metaverse/mmorpg/ect called Otherside. Here is the latest Stress test.

Thousands of players on screen, with proximity voice chat, along with some surprising graphics.
"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
Post edited by bcbully on
maskedweaselWalkinGlenn

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited March 2023
    That .. is actually pretty impressive ..to say at least.

Ready Player One INC? :D
    bcbully

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    The company was literally formed around a tweet about "Lets make a NFT"

They have only existed for 2 years.

https://www.yuga.com/about

Please forgive my skepticism.

Remali

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Crooks know where the bread is buttered??

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Follow the money laundering.
    Champie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited March 2023
    The company was literally formed around a tweet about "Lets make a NFT"

They have only existed for 2 years.

https://www.yuga.com/about

Please forgive my skepticism.

I felt the same last year this time about Otherside. Today, an Otherdeed at 1.8eth is looking real juicy. 

They've been showing and proving and more so than any project in the space, they have the money and the clout.
    Sensai
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I'm sorry, but reading through this sounds absolutely dreadful. Not surprised a former Activision Blizzard Exec joined this team.....a scammers paradise indeed....

A 2.05 ETH floor to buy in? Gas fees out of control?  Reserved plots for all sorts of people?  

Can't say it enough,

"To join the Otherside Metaverse, users must first obtain Otherdeeds NFTs. This can be done by purchasing from the secondary market such as OpenSea, where the floor price of Otherside Metaverse is 2.05 ETH. 

because the ethereum blockchain framework allows miners to be paid regardless of whether a transaction goes through or not, there were instances where users paid up to thousands of dollars in gas fees only to find out that their transactions were not recorded in the blockchain.

however, yuga labs acknowledged the bottleneck and put out a tweet saying that they would refund the gas of those affected. they also apologized for ‘turning the lights off on ethereum”, acknowledging that they would eventually have to move to their own chain to scale properly. 

There are a total of 200,000 Otherdeeds with 100,000 currently in distribution. 10,000 Otherdeeds were reserved for BAYC holders and 20,000 were reserved for Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC) holders. 15000 Otherdeeds were reserved for the developers working on Cosmic Dream, Infinite Expanse, and Rainbow atoms."

https://metaverseinsider.tech/2022/08/10/a-complete-guide-to-the-otherside-metaverse/
    Remali

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It's a marketing expense and nothing more.  They pay some gaming executive a bunch of money to join their company for the sake of credibility.  He joins because he's getting paid a bunch of money, not because he really believes in the project.

It's kind of like how the Staples Center was renamed Crypto.com Arena.  It's not because the arena owner really believes in the site.  It's only because they were paid a bunch of money to rename the arena.

The next question is why anyone would be particularly impressed by such marketing expenditures.
    KyleranMendelRemaliChampie
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2023
    Kyleran said:
    I'm sorry, but reading through this sounds absolutely dreadful. Not surprised a former Activision Blizzard Exec joined this team.....a scammers paradise indeed....

A 2.05 ETH floor to buy in? Gas fees out of control?  Reserved plots for all sorts of people?  

Can't say it enough,

"To join the Otherside Metaverse, users must first obtain Otherdeeds NFTs. This can be done by purchasing from the secondary market such as OpenSea, where the floor price of Otherside Metaverse is 2.05 ETH. 

because the ethereum blockchain framework allows miners to be paid regardless of whether a transaction goes through or not, there were instances where users paid up to thousands of dollars in gas fees only to find out that their transactions were not recorded in the blockchain.

however, yuga labs acknowledged the bottleneck and put out a tweet saying that they would refund the gas of those affected. they also apologized for ‘turning the lights off on ethereum”, acknowledging that they would eventually have to move to their own chain to scale properly. 

There are a total of 200,000 Otherdeeds with 100,000 currently in distribution. 10,000 Otherdeeds were reserved for BAYC holders and 20,000 were reserved for Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC) holders. 15000 Otherdeeds were reserved for the developers working on Cosmic Dream, Infinite Expanse, and Rainbow atoms."

https://metaverseinsider.tech/2022/08/10/a-complete-guide-to-the-otherside-metaverse/
    Bored / Mutant Ape Yacht Club? Cosmic Dream, Infinite Expanse, Rainbow Atoms?

...what is this shit? What kind of blasphemy is happening here?
    WhiteLantern
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:

Can't say it enough,

Bored / Mutant Ape Yacht Club? Cosmic Dream, Infinite Expanse, Rainbow Atoms?

...what is this shit? What kind of blasphemy is happening here?
    It's a play on the whole WallStreetBets Apes and the Gamestop To The Moon crowd.  Trying to appeal to the same folks.
    Gorwe

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I'm thinking we should round all of those folks up and confine them somewhere where they can no longer do harm to anyone, including themselves, like maybe Wyoming?

;)
    Gorwe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Kyleran said:
    I'm thinking we should round all of those folks up and confine them somewhere where they can no longer do harm to anyone, including themselves, like maybe Wyoming?

;)
    What did Wyoming do to deserve to be inflicted with this?
    KidRiskWhiteLantern
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    According to the 2020 census, here are the top 10 least populated states in the U.S.:
    Wyoming - 576,851.
    Vermont - 643,077.
    Alaska - 733,391.
    North Dakota - 779,094.
    South Dakota - 886,667.
    Delaware - 989,948.
    Montana - 1,084,225.
    Rhode Island - 1,097,379

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    According to the 2020 census, here are the top 10 least populated states in the U.S.:
    Wyoming - 576,851.
    Vermont - 643,077.
    Alaska - 733,391.
    North Dakota - 779,094.
    South Dakota - 886,667.
    Delaware - 989,948.
    Montana - 1,084,225.
    Rhode Island - 1,097,379
    Instead of Wyoming, I'd suggest relocating these guys to Montana or North Dakota.  At least there, they can help prevent Canadians from entering the country.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Wyoming - 576,851.
    Vermont - 643,077.
    Alaska - 733,391.
    North Dakota - 779,094.
    South Dakota - 886,667.
    Delaware - 989,948.
    Montana - 1,084,225.
    Rhode Island - 1,097,379
    I'd say that the population density is a more useful metric. Ideally, use both.
  • mekheremekhere Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Ever since rich people and the winners of crypto bought everything in the metaverse, public rejects the metaverse. it's a monopolized mess and competition doesn't exist anymore. Goodluck to blizzard, but I have as much hope for this as I did for new world. 
    IselinKidRisk
    This user is a registered flex offender. 
    Someone who is registered as being a flex offender is a person who feels the need to flex about everything they say.
    Always be the guy that paints the house in the dark.  
    Lucidity can be forged with enough liquidity and pharmed for decades with enough compound interest that a reachable profit would never end. 

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited April 2023
    Some one should do a write on what happened with axie infinity.  And most likely it's what this game is heading.  

I think the main problem is the games aren't fun.  And if not for the ability to make money from playing no one would play the game.  

Also I'm not sure how many people would pay 3600$ to play a game.  
    mekhere
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited April 2023
    The business, the "game", its followers - all trash

My favorite part of the game is "collect magic blobs"
    mekhere
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Wyoming - 576,851.
    Vermont - 643,077.
    Alaska - 733,391.
    North Dakota - 779,094.
    South Dakota - 886,667.
    Delaware - 989,948.
    Montana - 1,084,225.
    Rhode Island - 1,097,379
    I'd say that the population density is a more useful metric. Ideally, use both.
    Well now, turns out Wyoming is right near the top of that list as well.

Alaska is by far a more popular tourist destination so I still think the best choice is Wyoming.

Rank State People Per Square Mile
    1 Alaska 1.3
    2 Wyoming 6.0
    3 Montana 7.1
    4 North Dakota 11.0