Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo IV's 'Early Access Open Beta' Is Live Today, Seeing Long Queue Times Just To Get In | MMORPG.

124»

Comments

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    edited March 2023
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:
    IceAge said:
    Gorwe said:
    Dattelis said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    so what, this is not a single player game?

Not sure why people aren't answering you but "yes" Diablo 4 can be played "single player." It apparently offers and open world that you can explore with other players.
    So, will it be always online? Not this beta(ofc it will), the full game.

Yes, I believe it's an always connected.

I heard that there is a fake-offline mode. Like, you are connected, but ... like a Private Game, if you would.

Can't we have full offline? I play Hardcore and I am DONE with Hardcore + Always Online. If I make a mistake? Fine. If a lag happens? That's it. Done. Fuck off.

It's funny that now with gigabyte internet speeds(really fast lol), I don't really want or need it. My "serious gaming" is mostly offline ; for browsing and such, I can always use a phone.

Unfortunately, Blizzard admitted going forward at Diablo 3 that all their future titles would be always online (for pc that is, always upset me that console could play offline).

What the fuck? Any real reason why that is a thing?

If that's true, Blizzard is officially dead to me. I just don't like Online gaming. At all.
    Checking to see the name of this website....

Massive Multiplayer ONLINE , etc, etc ...yet here you are, crying that you don't like Online Gaming ......at all! /facepalm

Meh the only reason Diablo is online is for the cash shop.
    Diablo 3 was always online and didn't have a cash shop anywhere but in China. The #1 reason has always been anti-warez piracy.

That decision to go always online was kind of unusual back then and caused a lot of pushback from players.

These days it's pretty standard fare cash shop or no cash shop.

I honestly don't get what the fuss is all about these days and makes me suspect a pro-piracy agenda by those bitching about it.

I mean I hear all the arguments "They could shut down the servers and we're screwed" "I want to play it when there is no internet available" etc, etc... but what I really hear is "I want to DL it from the Pirate Bay and have it work"

:)

Piracy is definitely one argument. Kind of like how piracy is an argument against having Denuvo. At the same time though, D3 on consoles has an offline mode......I think part of them making D3 always online was to combat against item-duping, but I could be wrong about that.
  • budzibudzi Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Angrakhan said:
    budzi said:
    Just got a full refund. Game feels like a mobile game and really looks like immortal even though I never played immortal. Very disappointed at the music, was expecting much more than that. I am not sure how the game mechanically compares to D3 but some mechanic are nice. The game feels rushed and unfinished. I was expecting this, with the director leaving half way, lots of people left, employees moral to 0, blizzard's on going issues, company the verge of being sold... Blizzard is now for me, just another studio and will not look further for their releases. this is Diablo , I was expecting something unusual.
    Game is nothing like a mobile game. It's laughable you say it looks like immortal but in the same breath you say you haven't played immortal. I have played immortal on my phone and D4 is not even in the same ballpark. D4 is easily the best looking of all the Diablo franchise. You're just bitching to bitch. Just another Blizzard Black Knight trash talking no matter what they released. Pretty sure the game is going to do fine without you. Bye!
    Ok kid, when I read you played immortal, that's where I stopped reading. Best of all Diablo ? Wonder what your girlfriend looks like.
    DarkhawkeIceAgeSensai
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Keep Calm and Carry On Posting Guys! :)
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited March 2023
    Iselin said:

Diablo 3 was always online and didn't have a cash shop anywhere but in China. The #1 reason has always been anti-warez piracy.

That decision to go always online was kind of unusual back then and caused a lot of pushback from players.

I honestly don't get what the fuss is all about these days and makes me suspect a pro-piracy agenda by those bitching about it.

I mean I hear all the arguments "They could shut down the servers and we're screwed" "I want to play it when there is no internet available" etc, etc... but what I really hear is "I want to DL it from the Pirate Bay and have it work"

Diablo 3 had a RMT auction house that was removed because it was killing the game.

Diablo 3's Controversial Auction House Would Have Been Removed Faster If Not For Legal Concerns

Since the auction house was advertised on the box, Blizzard was afraid to remove it without doing its legal homework.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/diablo-3-controversial-auction-house-would-have-been-removed-faster-if-not-for-legal-concerns/1100-6508613/
    Scot

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited March 2023
    Iselin said:

I have always had privacy and performance concerns about software that interjects between us and our games, but my own impression is that the real anger and obsession we too often see about this is driven by those who cannot get a pirated copy for free.

It reminds me of the way players clamour for F2P rather than B2P or subscription, do we get as much anti cheat/studio launcher anger for F2P games?

Unless such software is found to have the sort of issues I mentioned, I see no problems with it at all. 
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:

I have always had privacy and performance concerns about software that interjects between us and our games, but my own impression is that the real anger and obsession we too often see about this is driven by those who cannot get a pirated copy for free.

It reminds me of the way players clamour for F2P rather than B2P or subscription, do we get as much anti cheat/studio launcher anger for F2P games?

Unless such software is found to have the sort of issues I mentioned, I see no problems with it at all. 
    I'm not going to pirate it and I'm not going to buy it. I used to be a Blizzard fan, now not so much. I haven't touched my copy of Diablo 3 in years.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Nilden said:
    IceAge said:
    Gorwe said:
    Dattelis said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

Not sure why people aren't answering you but "yes" Diablo 4 can be played "single player." It apparently offers and open world that you can explore with other players.

I heard that there is a fake-offline mode. Like, you are connected, but ... like a Private Game, if you would.

Can't we have full offline? I play Hardcore and I am DONE with Hardcore + Always Online. If I make a mistake? Fine. If a lag happens? That's it. Done. Fuck off.

It's funny that now with gigabyte internet speeds(really fast lol), I don't really want or need it. My "serious gaming" is mostly offline ; for browsing and such, I can always use a phone.

Unfortunately, Blizzard admitted going forward at Diablo 3 that all their future titles would be always online (for pc that is, always upset me that console could play offline).

If that's true, Blizzard is officially dead to me. I just don't like Online gaming. At all.

Massive Multiplayer ONLINE , etc, etc ...yet here you are, crying that you don't like Online Gaming ......at all! /facepalm

Meh....really?

Is that what you also said about Diablo 3, since it was the first Diablo to be always online? Oh wait! After 10+ years, it has zero cash shop.

But guess what? Many asked for a cash shop for D3 in order to receive updates regularly, since they stopped to release them and only focused, mostly, on balances.

So yea, I am glad that D4 has a cash shop. I said cash shop, not P2W cash shop and I strongly believe that Blizzard will never release a P2W cash shop. IF that will be the case I'll be the first to /quit it. 

But always online is best for security which I am not going to explain to you..why!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    The thing is always online or even denuvo doesn't really stop piracy in  many cases, take harry potter for example.

As for the need to be online lots of games get cracked and have a "emu" function for the online part...games that actually have a server side are more difficult cause then it requires there being "private servers".

Myself I like mods from places like nexus mods so for me that is more the issue about such methods used against piracy as generally mods are not happening in those cases.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    edited March 2023
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:
    IceAge said:
    Gorwe said:
    Dattelis said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

I think it's also around reselling used games.  Publishers hated it when places like Gamestop started buying back old games and reselling them at a discount because the publishers got shut out of that transaction.

Probably a combination of that, piracy and cash shop which drove this "online only" model.

PS; Here is an old article (over a decade ago) stating that Gamestop made a billion dollars reselling used games. and that it was almost 50% of their total profits...

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/analysis-gamestop-profit-margin-on-used-almost-50-
    ScotAsm0deus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I think it's also around reselling used games.  Publishers hated it when places like Gamestop started buying back old games and reselling them at a discount because the publishers got shut out of that transaction.

Probably a combination of that, piracy and cash shop which drove this "online only" model.

PS; Here is an old article (over a decade ago) stating that Gamestop made a billion dollars reselling used games. and that it was almost 50% of their total profits...

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/analysis-gamestop-profit-margin-on-used-almost-50-
    The thing is with the resale of used games and piracy that's money the company was never going to get anyway. With the cash shop that's money they could actually be making.

It's like people forget what they did with Diablo Immoral.

Can't wait for the Diablo 4 cash shop and the reactions once people figure that out...

How to Make Perfect Popcorn on the Stovetop

edited March 2023
    Nilden said:
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:

I'm not going to pirate it and I'm not going to buy it. I used to be a Blizzard fan, now not so much. I haven't touched my copy of Diablo 3 in years.

No one is saying that everyone against anti cheat and studio app software just want to play for free, just like not everyone who advocates for cash shops just wants F2P MMOs. But there are many for whom that is the primary reason.

I know nothing about the D4 cash shop but if it is that bad I am sure the reviews will point that out. As always don't put money in until you have the low down.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2023
    Kratier said:
    theres better bosses and dungeons in lost ark, and its free. dont know where the money went with this game, doesn't seem to have done much innovation.
    like the 2 big features? strongholds and world boss?
    strongholds are like 10 minutes of gameplay, the world boss spawned 2x and it was just a bad experience.
    and the itemization is really weird and bad, you get legendary items every 5 minutes

like the quests, the cutscenes, aren't good. can't imagine spending 70 dollars on this, we havent even seen the cash shop yet
    You won't see it until it's too late. That's just how this works. Once you have their money, never ever give it back.

Iselin said:
    Nilden said:
    IceAge said:
    Gorwe said:
    Dattelis said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

While I am not a stranger to such actions, this has zero relevance in this discussion for me. As I clearly stated it's because I can't truly have my peace in an always online game. Also, no mods, no Hardcore(pretty much) etc. What I get really don't outweigh what I give. It'd just be a bad transaction overall. The gameplay is the biggest ? to me here though.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Always online isn't an issue for me but I can also understand why the offline option is attractive. When the internet was not as available as it is now it might have been a problem but I don't think that the availability is the real grouse more like the offline option being available. 

I was reading the Last Epoch forum a poster was very angry that his offline character could not be brought to the online version. The explanations didn't seem to have any sense to this individual and I was struck by how much of a bubble people tend to stay in and stubbornly so.

Why would anyone want to go offline -> online? I mean, I can sorta understand reasons, but not only should Choices Matter™, but also there is a ton of other reasons why this shouldn't be available.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2023
    Gorwe said:
    Why would anyone want to go offline -> online? I mean, I can sorta understand reasons, but not only should Choices Matter™, but also there is a ton of other reasons why this shouldn't be available.
    Why would anyone prefer online solo play to offline?

No idea. That would be stupid.

You're confusing not giving a shit about it either way and not going on ad nauseam in forums about it with actually wanting it :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

You're confusing not giving a shit about it either way and not going on ad nauseam in forums about it with actually wanting it :)
    I never even use anything that the online part makes available.

I would love offline solo play and the ability to host peer to peer games. I play all my ARPGs this way. Almost exclusively solo (I played some D2 LAN and D3 with my brother for a couple hours). I own TitanQuest, Wolcen, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, all the Diablos, etc. I don't want a cash shop, I don't want to die to lag, and I have zero use for these games being online only. I'm also willing to pay for my games.

I think just not dying to lag alone would be great but it would also open them up to mods which would be even better.

Every time I have to log in to play these games online solo I think it's stupid.

I also have zero desire to take my offline character online and think that is stupid.

If piracy really was that bad none of these games would be able to make money with offline single player modes, yet somehow they do.
    Gorwe

Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

Well, sometimes you just don't have any other choice. Conan RPG? Yeah, you're going with Age of Conan. Something similar applies for LoTR. But yeah. Given the option and playing offline and online solo, I don't see any valid reason for online solo. Wtf why?

Nilden said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

I would love offline solo play and the ability to host peer to peer games. I play all my ARPGs this way. Almost exclusively solo (I played some D2 LAN and D3 with my brother for a couple hours). I own TitanQuest, Wolcen, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, all the Diablos, etc. I don't want a cash shop, I don't want to die to lag, and I have zero use for these games being online only. I'm also willing to pay for my games.

I think just not dying to lag alone would be great but it would also open them up to mods which would be even better.

Every time I have to log in to play these games online solo I think it's stupid.

I also have zero desire to take my offline character online and think that is stupid.

If piracy really was that bad none of these games would be able to make money with offline single player modes, yet somehow they do.
    100% agreed. As for piracy, I suspect that has more to do with the Profit Margin than with anything else. You know, CEOs(or CFOs, /whatever), their efficiency, awards etc?

Besides lower profit margin, I don't see any real reason not to have Solo Offline as a separate mode, just like consoles usually have. This "always online" garbage is just that: corporate strongarm garbage most of us get nothing out of.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nilden said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

More and more games have required the online component over the years so you're limiting yourself if that's the hill you picked to die on.

It's not even remotely a serious consideration for me when I decide whether to play or not play something and I'm far from being alone in considering that a petty criteria.

But hey, you do you and keep on preaching... who knows? You might get some converts.

As to the piracy bit... I actually don't give a shit about the act of stealing games from Bobby Kotick and McGreedy Games. However, I also don't go on rants against their efforts to stop us from doing it because games, after all, are not life essentials, they''re luxuries. Railing against that would just be... unseemly.

And yes, in posts about hating always online games, regardless of how many plausible reasons why that is just wrong are stated, I will still hear piracy as a reason lurking there, somewhere in the background, unsaid.

Now I'm off to stream some movies from questionable sites. Have a good day! :)
    Nilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I also have more than my fair share of dead games in my steam library that just got sunset and I can't even play anymore. What happens when Blizzard says hey D3 isn't worth keeping online anymore?

These companies don't care about preserving the games and making an offline single player mode or releasing the server code so people can run private servers. They will just kill it and say buy the new one like Electronic Arts does.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

It doesn't matter what the preference is when online solo play is the only available. You either deal with it or play something else.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Nilden said:
    I also have more than my fair share of dead games in my steam library that just got sunset and I can't even play anymore. What happens when Blizzard says hey D3 isn't worth keeping online anymore?

These companies don't care about preserving the games and making an offline single player mode or releasing the server code so people can run private servers. They will just kill it and say buy the new one like Electronic Arts does.

They eventually remake and flog it again as Diablo III: Resurrected.