Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Planning to Add Crafting and Gathering to Pre-Alpha This Weekend | MMOR

2»

Comments

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Robokapp said:
    this game will be obsolete by the time it hits Beta...
    Nah.

"if" it hits beta it will be patronized by a good many people the first few weeks. It very much "is what it is" and there aren't going to be many games like it.

After that, the people who tried it out for curiosity's sake will leave and what  will be left are the people who originally wanted that game. They will stay around "if" the developers can make enough content and a reason to stick around.

If I remember off the top of my head, a long time ago, VR said 25'000 players would sustain them but they hope for 100-200k. I would not be shocked if they got 50k subs. I know I would be one of them for at least a time. 
    Would you be shocked if they only got 10k subs at launch?
    Yes because they have somewhere around 5k backers at the VIP level. That does not include all the people like me to pledges $50 to $200.
    Well then I think you will be surprised.  They probably have way over 10k backers by now, but most of these will see this game in alpha/beta and not even bother to play at release once they see the state of the game.  Release will get a small bump but I predict within 2 months after release this game will lose 90%+ of its playerbase.  So unless you count the free subs, I dont see them have 10k subs long after release.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Robokapp said:
    Nah.

"if" it hits beta it will be patronized by a good many people the first few weeks. It very much "is what it is" and there aren't going to be many games like it.

After that, the people who tried it out for curiosity's sake will leave and what  will be left are the people who originally wanted that game. They will stay around "if" the developers can make enough content and a reason to stick around.

If I remember off the top of my head, a long time ago, VR said 25'000 players would sustain them but they hope for 100-200k. I would not be shocked if they got 50k subs. I know I would be one of them for at least a time. 
    Yes because they have somewhere around 5k backers at the VIP level. That does not include all the people like me to pledges $50 to $200.
    Well then I think you will be surprised.  They probably have way over 10k backers by now, but most of these will see this game in alpha/beta and not even bother to play at release once they see the state of the game.  Release will get a small bump but I predict within 2 months after release this game will lose 90%+ of its playerbase.  So unless you count the free subs, I dont see them have 10k subs long after release.
    We know that when you are negative, means it's more likely to be true :) Or is that it means I'm just on the internet, I always get that mixed up. 
    edited March 2023
    P.S. You could also be right 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Robokapp said:
    Nah.

We know that when you are negative, means it's more likely to be true :) Or is that it means I'm just on the internet, I always get that mixed up. 
    I am not being negative, I think I am giving a fairly good assessment of what will happen.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited March 2023
    Looks to play as it did when I played it with J. Lee. 

This is not the game people are hoping it will be. 

I was very surprised how every system in the game worked as independent systems with little to no cohesion.
    Before someone says it will come together in Beta that is not how development of this genre works. 
     Every system needs to be designed in concert with each other.
    There are interdependencies built into them to work with each other. 
    Without an experienced game director (or a quality EP) from the beginning of a project it is near impossible to pull a game together and create a flow that resonates with players. 

Yikes is what I say.

We often disagree on what is a good genre, rarely on how well a game has been made, you have got me saying "yikes" now.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Robokapp said:
    Nah.

I am not being negative, I think I am giving a fairly good assessment of what will happen.
    Personally I would have said realistic but even optimistic. This game could certainly crater down to way less than 10k players. Despite how many backers it has. People will leave if it's a "yikes".

I think them getting 10k at launch and dropping down 90% to 1000 is actually pretty realistic. I hope they do better but it's been 9 years and we are seeing concept art...
    SovrathMcSleazBrainy

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

I was very surprised how every system in the game worked as independent systems with little to no cohesion.
    Before someone says it will come together in Beta that is not how development of this genre works. 
    Without an experienced game director (or a quality EP) from the beginning of a project it is near impossible to pull a game together and create a flow that resonates with players. 

Yikes is what I say.

Could you give us some examples of how the game currently lacks cohesion? It doesn't seem obviously from that video to an untrained eye.
    NanfoodleSovrath
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    achesoma said:

Yikes is what I say.

Could you give us some examples of how the game currently lacks cohesion? It doesn't seem obviously from that video to an untrained eye.
    Ya I am watching the video now and it just seems like the old style gameplay I loved and miss. I feel like that team could just use a Bard to get the tank back mana faster, so I would make a good addition to the team =-) 
    Sovrathachesoma
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:

Yikes is what I say.

Ya I am watching the video now and it just seems like the old style gameplay I loved and miss. I feel like that team could just use a Bard to get the tank back mana faster, so I would make a good addition to the team =-) 
    Well, the tank doesn’t use mana but the healer sure does. It’s mentioned briefly in the video that the Enchanter has an ability that can restore a small amount of mana to a group mate but it is REALLY small. Like just enough to get off one more spell. 

I know they want downtime but it’s too much imo. Sitting isn’t fun no matter how they want to spin it. Downtime should just be after an over pull, boss fight, named mob, etc, especially for a full group. 
    McSleazKyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    achesoma said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:

Yikes is what I say.

Well, the tank doesn’t use mana but the healer sure does. It’s mentioned briefly in the video that the Enchanter has an ability that can restore a small amount of mana to a group mate but it is REALLY small. Like just enough to get off one more spell. 

I know they want downtime but it’s too much imo. Sitting isn’t fun no matter how they want to spin it. Downtime should just be after an over pull, boss fight, named mob, etc, especially for a full group. 
    I thought DL were mana/int based tanks?
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    achesoma said:

Yikes is what I say.

I thought DL were mana/int based tanks?
    DL use a resource called Essence. It’s like a rage mechanic. Some abilities scale with INT. In Pantheon all stats have uses for all classes in various ways. 
    Nanfoodle
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Such a "coincidence" they ran into another Pantheon streamer at the exact same camp this group wanted to play at.  

I did like the comment that their stream chat voted to train the other streamer, PVE competition for prime camps really takes me back.

:D 
    achesoma

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

So...it's pre pre pre Alpha now instead of Pre pre pre pre Alpha....that worries me... I mean I hope they aren't rushing it out due to the overwhelming pressure of the dozen or so fans.
    LOL can you even call anything that comes out now rushing?  How long do you really think they need to build this 40 years?

If they release a bad product at this point, its not because of rushing it out, its because they are just bad at making games.

Its way more than a dozen fans complaining its taking this long.  Its probably the complete opposite, only a couple dozen are fanyboying this so hard and making every possible excuse for this team like they are valid.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Such a "coincidence" they ran into another Pantheon streamer at the exact same camp this group wanted to play at.  

I did like the comment that their stream chat voted to train the other streamer, PVE competition for prime camps really takes me back.

Best part of EQ2 launch was finding an enemy sitting at our spawn camp and then teleporting out their healer or tank in the middle of a pull.  game was so broke at launch that you could teleport people home to Freeport or wherever with no confirmation on their side.
    KyleranBrainyNanfoodle

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:

Best part of EQ2 launch was finding an enemy sitting at our spawn camp and then teleporting out their healer or tank in the middle of a pull.  game was so broke at launch that you could teleport people home to Freeport or wherever with no confirmation on their side.
    Now that's what I call old school.

Fancy where are you?

:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon