Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Useful crafting in MMORPGs, a dead art?

124»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Darkhawke said:
    Shroud of the Avatar. SotA takes one step back from the Archeage in terms of needed items but also takes one step forward on the type of items needed. Meaning you don't need  a plethra of things to craft an item, but some items get a bit more complex in the materials you need for an item.

Example : I', working on building a row house with a greenhouse on the top level. So my materials are timber, granite and "glass panels". The glass panels are 25 gem  fragments  . So I have to go and find gem 25 x how ever many glass panels I need.  It cuts down on total resources over Archeage but it also forces you to either find a minimum of 1 specific resource. I feel like it is a good middle ground over archeage were you need to harvest or hunt all the materials. SO in total I will harvest 3 resources, wood , rock and gem fragments.

Crafting is Shroud of the Avatar's core. People say SoTA is dead, good luck finding a housing lot in a major easy to port too town. It took me forever to settle on alot. There's plenty of lots around around, but to find a good lot, easy to travel make your wares easier to access, very hard. You also get a 2 free deed as you travel the main story.

All the best gear in SotA is crafted. You need to do Masterworks to + gear as well as Alchemy to + gear. You also need to create gem slots and gems for gear which I've not even come close to understanding yet.

I will be writing a mini review later  as SotA is hitting all of right things for me right now :)
    Only about 50-60 active players left in Shroud.
    Source?
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    Darkhawke said:
    Shroud of the Avatar. SotA takes one step back from the Archeage in terms of needed items but also takes one step forward on the type of items needed. Meaning you don't need  a plethra of things to craft an item, but some items get a bit more complex in the materials you need for an item.

Example : I', working on building a row house with a greenhouse on the top level. So my materials are timber, granite and "glass panels". The glass panels are 25 gem  fragments  . So I have to go and find gem 25 x how ever many glass panels I need.  It cuts down on total resources over Archeage but it also forces you to either find a minimum of 1 specific resource. I feel like it is a good middle ground over archeage were you need to harvest or hunt all the materials. SO in total I will harvest 3 resources, wood , rock and gem fragments.

Crafting is Shroud of the Avatar's core. People say SoTA is dead, good luck finding a housing lot in a major easy to port too town. It took me forever to settle on alot. There's plenty of lots around around, but to find a good lot, easy to travel make your wares easier to access, very hard. You also get a 2 free deed as you travel the main story.

All the best gear in SotA is crafted. You need to do Masterworks to + gear as well as Alchemy to + gear. You also need to create gem slots and gems for gear which I've not even come close to understanding yet.

I will be writing a mini review later  as SotA is hitting all of right things for me right now :)

and I could careless. I've played Age of Conan when only 12 lvl 80's were online amd no minis popped. I am the type of player that plays what I enjoy. :)
    AlBQuirkySovrath
    AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    kitarad said:
    'Waist' is the area on your body that should curve in, you meant 'waste' and Engineering rocks I love using bombs as a paladin in WoW. Those goggles were good too.
    I love the way you said "that should curve in". :D 
    AlBQuirkyBrainyChampieAndemnon
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Darkhawke said:

Source?
    I love it when people here say "source?" 
    With only 50-60 players, maybe they could be counted  ;)
    free2playAndemnon
    Kyleran said:
    Darkhawke said:

Source?
    Except for games on Steam it's almost impossible to get reliable figures on the number of players so when hyperbolic examples are used to make a point they always should be backed by reliable sources, or challenged thusly.

AlBQuirkyChampie

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Darkhawke said:

Source?
    Except for games on Steam it's almost impossible to get reliable figures on the number of players so when hyperbolic examples are used to make a point they always should be backed by reliable sources, or challenged thusly.

Still just log on and count them. I always thought the so called reliable figures are tainted for one reasion or another, so their for not ever reliable
    ChampieAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Darkhawke said:

Source?

I think the "official" numbers are so faulty that it's pointless. 
    Per a single game, how many of those accounts are owned by the same RMT scripters? And how many multiple account owners just like you? 
    Per the genre as a whole, how many accounts are owned by the same scripters or Players? 
    Overall. you can probably be safe in assuming the numbers are drastically overinflated by about 300-500%. At least. 

MendelKyleranAlBQuirkyAndemnon

Once upon a time....

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Darkhawke said:

Source?

I think the "official" numbers are so faulty that it's pointless. 
    Per a single game, how many of those accounts are owned by the same RMT scripters? And how many multiple account owners just like you? 
    Per the genre as a whole, how many accounts are owned by the same scripters or Players? 
    Overall. you can probably be safe in assuming the numbers are drastically overinflated by about 300-500%. At least. 

How something is counted is prone to all sorts of bias.  Games have counted and will frequently boast about the number of accounts or characters while keeping the number of paying customers hidden from the public.  People are the most important metric, not accounts, not characters, not revenue, not profits, not bots.

ChampieBrainyAlBQuirkyAmarantharAndemnon

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited February 2023
    Numbers are told to the public in favor of some ones benefit.

Post edited by delete5230 on
    ChampieOG_SolareusKyleranAlBQuirky
    Let's not bring off topic political snippets into this site, the mods here are rather stern and humorless on such and tend to go heavy with their ban hammers.
    ScotAlBQuirkyAndemnon

Kyleran said:
    Let's not bring off topic political snippets into this site, the mods here are rather stern and humorless on such and tend to go heavy with their ban hammers.
    Ya, 
    Their like the cops watching on the top of buildings with binoculars.

I'll stop. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Numbers are told to the public in favor of some ones benefit.
    If "the numbers" are provably good, they would shout it from the mountaintops. If not, they do "ranking news", using phrases like: "Best MMO ever!"; "Most played MMO!"; "Most copies downloaded on Steam!", and the like.

PS: PLEASE stop with the politics.
    Nanfoodle

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Can't agree with you on the mechanics not mattering, OP. One of the things about SWG gathering that made it gold was the way gathering shuffled stats. Desh Copper this week has an overall quality of 55% but last week it was 80% and next week it might be 98%. Apply that system to thousands of unique crafting materials, you had a never ending and always shifting 'best in slot' gear system.

We do agree on value of crafting in MMO's though. Using SWG again, there was 'grind gear' and good gear. Everything was crafted. That doesn't happen anymore. Someone mentioned EVE Online. It has such a system but the first 2 years of EVE Online was bots farming to build supplies. No new MMO is going to want to commit their game to 2 years of assembly to accommodate a crafting system.

We seem to get a little of this in one MMO and a little of that in another. FF14, Gold standard in the actual crafting. LotRO has an amazing diversity in gear options that embraces crafted versions. New World actually devoted a lot of time and care to its crafting system. Butchered it by making it take 20X as long to level it as it does to actually level your character but the crafting system is there. Add to that they put a drop system that worked better with the character leveling. and canceled out the crafting system they spent so much time creating.

In the end, crafters end up migrating to survival, build and craft games. MMO's can't keep all the ducks in a row for it to work.

KyleranAndemnonAlBQuirky