Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Useful crafting in MMORPGs, a dead art?

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Crafting food and drink was important to your health maybe 20% in EQ2, so I really enjoyed crafting in that game.
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2023
    Mendel said:
    olepi said:
    I'll keep harping on Ryzom for a second :smile:

In Ryzom, there are no drops. Everything dropped is just a mat to be used in crafting. So everything is player made.

And there are no recipes. You experiment with different combinations and discover how to make things. For example: you need a knife. It has three parts: a blade, a handle, and a binding. For the blade, you could use a tooth, or a shell, or perhaps some flint. There are about 5-6 different types of each material, and each of those has 5 quality levels.

Everybody comes up with their favorite combination, and these are not usually shared. So my knife will most likely not be like anyone else's knife. Using the highest quality of material doesn't always give the highest stats, so it isn't that easy to make the best.

And there are no resource nodes just lying around to gather, like in most other games. You have to go out and prospect (prospecting is a skill). You might find a good digging spot to dig up shells to use to make knives. Since the world has weather and seasons, you might ony be able to get those in winter, at night. Of course, you won't tell anybody else where that is.

No other crafting even comes close, athough from what I've heard, SWG might.

I don't really like crafting in games like LoTRO and ESO, where you collect obvious resources on the surface, and hit a button to craft. Not much skill in that. At least Vanguard had a mini-game for crafting.

Ryzom did have the most unique and unusual (for an MMORPG) crafting system.  However, crafting was/is a more personal thing than a 'profession'.  Everyone could skill up on the various crafting, prospecting and harvesting skills, and many/most did.  The low level skills were very much a 'hunt the right location' to get the best materials.  A step or two away from the 'sweet spot', and the results were less than ideal, both in material type and quality.  The ranges on many skills were pretty pathetic, and only really served as a skill-up to get to the higher level skills.  So, it was a self-perpetuating system; you crafted mostly as a means to be able to craft later on.

As for the mini-games, like in Vanguard or EQ2, you can keep them.

Vanguard crafting made my arm seize up and the pain good god I had to drop the game. It was my fault for having 8 crafters [I think roundabouts that number} and levelling them up really took a toll. 
    MendelAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    kitarad said:
    I only like the crafting in a game even if I have to spend a lot of time on it if the gear I make can actually be used while I level.
    Which was really the point in my OP, all too often crafting is only useful after you reach end game.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    AlBQuirky said:
    Brainy said:
    As others have already said, UO crafting was the best I seen.

Relevant at all levels, lower levels could make money while skilling.  Tradeskills were the same way.  Plenty of different items to sell, many different useful professoins.  With a working thriving economy.

Why games are not replicating UO's crafting/tradeskill/economy is crazy.
    I haven't read on to if this is touched on later, but did UO start that way, or did it take years to implement so many items?

Most MMOs today launch with a distinct disadvantage to the older (20+ years) MMORPGs.

I wish way back when I started playing, I would have chosen UO instead of EQ 1 (2001?). I admit the graphics factored highly in my decision :)

UO was the first MMO I tried...I lasted about a day and swore I'd never play with other people again...JUst a horrible experience with so many gankers and player killers....I have no idea how anyone enjoyed that unless they were jerks that just enjoyed killing noobs all day.It took one of my friends months to get me to try EQ and I was glad I did
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    I only like the crafting in a game even if I have to spend a lot of time on it if the gear I make can actually be used while I level.
    Which was really the point in my OP, all too often crafting is only useful after you reach end game.

You find crafting more useful at endgame???

It's been my experience that crafting is less useful at endgame, as pretty much everything except consumables becomes obsolete.

At least during leveling, the crafted gear tends to keep up or slightly exceed loot drops in the games I've played. Granted, you do usually have to take a decent time out in order to craft that gear, but the option is there.
    AlBQuirky
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

It's been my experience that crafting is less useful at endgame, as pretty much everything except consumables becomes obsolete.

At least during leveling, the crafted gear tends to keep up or slightly exceed loot drops in the games I've played. Granted, you do usually have to take a decent time out in order to craft that gear, but the option is there.
    Been many years since I've worn anything I've crafted, come to think of it, not sure O can recall ever doing so.

At least end game crafting can make money, sort of like how some trades could salvage for big money in DAOC, used to always have a Linencrafter (was cheapest to max level) in my stable on any server or shard that I played on.
    AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    AlBQuirky said:
    Brainy said:
    As others have already said, UO crafting was the best I seen.

Relevant at all levels, lower levels could make money while skilling.  Tradeskills were the same way.  Plenty of different items to sell, many different useful professoins.  With a working thriving economy.

Why games are not replicating UO's crafting/tradeskill/economy is crazy.
    I haven't read on to if this is touched on later, but did UO start that way, or did it take years to implement so many items?

Most MMOs today launch with a distinct disadvantage to the older (20+ years) MMORPGs.

I wish way back when I started playing, I would have chosen UO instead of EQ 1 (2001?). I admit the graphics factored highly in my decision :)
    As has been said, UO did expand their systems quite a bit over the years. But it was al based on the important foundation that they started the game with. 

Some points I wanted to make...

One: You have to look at all sides of the crafting system. 
    Gatherer, crafter, seller, buyer, and how it functions in the World. 

Two: UO had lower Power Gaps, so that brought all of the economic systems much closer together between Players, making it much more "realistic" in this sense and functional as a "real economy." 

Three: They added Player Vendors, NPCs, that Players could place at their houses and stock. This was relatively shortly after release. This was a 24 hour service, as long as supplies lasted. Prices were set when items were dropped into the Vandors. 

Four: Competition. There was a lot of competition. A lot. Player Vendors were all over the place. The only things that were hard to find were the best gear and other relatively rare items. But Players didn't use "Best Gear" usually because you could easily lose it. Even MOBs looted you. And "Normal Gear" was abundant. 
    Very importantly, "Normal Gear" wasn't that much behind "Best Gear", noticeable but not the only factor, what with abundant Potions, Character Skill, and Player Skill all big factors. 
    Competition kept prices down. 

Five: "Location, location, location." The biggest and best Player Sellers wanted houses close to the big cities, so they'd buy houses near the Gates for exorbitant prices from other Players. 
    There were also other locations were Players organized to group their Vendor Houses.
    Some Players would set up a small house near a Dungeon Entrance and stock it for Players needing to restock while running a Dungeon. 
    UO's "Rune" system, a teleportation system that required only a little Magic Skill, and could be substituted with Scrolls, allowed Players to drop their runes marked to their Vendor House in cities and other high traffic areas and others could pick them up, or simply recall off the rune as it sits. 

Players also created "Rune Libraries", where you could find runes to good Vendors, Dungeons, Cities, etc. to Recall off of. They were locked down so you couldn't take them. But they also sold rune stones marked to the same places on their own Vendors. 

Six: Player run Auctions. This was for the harder to find items. Rares, "Best Gear", high quantities of resources, whatever. It was cool. Not as easy as current in-game auction houses, but much more social (you met the best people there, lol) and realistic. Much more memorable. 

The whole thing made UO's system the best there was. Yes, you had to spend a little time to "shop." But it opened doors to meeting Players, recognizing good Guilds, and social events that Players put on. 

All that said, there are some ideas in this thread that would be very good for Crafting and Economies in MMORPGs. Even UO's could be better with some of these ideas. 
    ScotKyleranDarkhawkeAlBQuirkyBrainy

Once upon a time....

• AndemnonAndemnon Member UncommonPosts: 179
    FFXIV, the crafting in the game is extremely grindy, but, the best weapons no matter the class, in the game, are player crafted, same with armour etc. Not to say its easy though, if you want to be a crafter in FFXIV then you really need to put in a considerable amount of time and effort, which also includes training up probably 2 gathering professions at a minimum, yes that is grindy as hell too. While i did not do much crafting in Eve online, what little i did was profitable, i made missiles, tech I missiles then used loyalty points to upgrade them to caldari missiles, mostly cruise types. I did not get rich doing that, but it was profitable, and sadly, very time consuming, because it meant i was constantly mission running, mostly for the Caldari Homeguard. Before that i think the most crafting i did was in Starwars Galaxies, where i made a not inconsiderable amount of money making 'budget' weapons, but it was time consuming, i don't think i will ever devote that much time and effort to crafting ever again, perfecting the ideal blueprint for a weapon, or more precisely, part of a weapon! people who craft in WoW and think that is  complex have literally no idea what crafting is  :D
    ScotKyleranAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    (snip)
    The whole thing made UO's system the best there was. Yes, you had to spend a little time to "shop." But it opened doors to meeting Players, recognizing good Guilds, and social events that Players put on. 

All that said, there are some ideas in this thread that would be very good for Crafting and Economies in MMORPGs. Even UO's could be better with some of these ideas. 
    You had to "meet players", like in game? Actually converse with someone not in your social media bubble? Arrrgh!.....runs away.
    AlBQuirkyAmarantharSovrath
    Scot said:
    (snip)

You had to "meet players", like in game? Actually converse with someone not in your social media bubble? Arrrgh!.....runs away.
    I know, right? Meeting other players in a MMORPG and actually conversing with randos, what a weird concept.

It will never work....

;)
    AlBQuirkyScotAmarantharolepiSovrath

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    For me housing must form part of the crafting. Preferably one that allows me to make a house from the ground up and fill it with wonderous things. My priorities are screwed but there it is.
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Been many years since I've worn anything I've crafted, come to think of it, not sure O can recall ever doing so.

At least end game crafting can make money, sort of like how some trades could salvage for big money in DAOC, used to always have a Linencrafter (was cheapest to max level) in my stable on any server or shard that I played on.
    Almost everything all 15 of my end-game characters wear in  ESO is something I either crafted or "reconstructed."The only exception might be something that dropped and I kept because I know I'll use it and I have the storage space to hold on to it.

A few years ago ESO added the ability to learn how to duplicate anything normally BOP - set items that drop in dungeons, trials, arenas... even the Mythic items that come from scrying and excavations.

Those things are not "crafted" the usual way. You learn the item when it drops for you and it gets added to what players call the "sticker book." Once there you can use a Transmute Station to reconstruct as many copies of that item as you want provided you have the transmute orbs (that drop from dungeons, PVP, and other things) to do it.

The crafting tie-in comes in that as you reconstruct the item, you can decide what trait to give it, provided you have learned the trait you want to use in your regular crafting leveling. You can also use upgrade mats to make the item purple or gold and craft whatever glyph you want if you want to change the enchantment from its drop default.

All I wear in that game is either something I crafted (some of the 9 trait sets are very competitive) or reconstructed using the Transmute station with very, very few exceptions of drops I kept to use.

And no, you can't get around the BOP nature of the reconstructed stuff and sell it. Those are bound to your account so it's just for your own or your alts use.
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Almost everything all 15 of my end-game characters wear in  ESO is something I either crafted or "reconstructed."The only exception might be something that dropped and I kept because I know I'll use it and I have the storage space to hold on to it.

A few years ago ESO added the ability to learn how to duplicate anything normally BOP - set items that drop in dungeons, trials, arenas... even the Mythic items that come from scrying and excavations.

Those things are not "crafted" the usual way. You learn the item when it drops for you and it gets added to what players call the "sticker book." Once there you can use a Transmute Station to reconstruct as many copies of that item as you want provided you have the transmute orbs (that drop from dungeons, PVP, and other things) to do it.

The crafting tie-in comes in that as you reconstruct the item, you can decide what trait to give it, provided you have learned the trait you want to use in your regular crafting leveling. You can also use upgrade mats to make the item purple or gold and craft whatever glyph you want if you want to change the enchantment from its drop default.

All I wear in that game is either something I crafted (some of the 9 trait sets are very competitive) or reconstructed using the Transmute station with very, very few exceptions of drops I kept to use.

And no, you can't get around the BOP nature of the reconstructed stuff and sell it. Those are bound to your account so it's just for your own or your alts use.
    Yes, I actually did some transmutation of gear for my alts, but not while I was first  leveling up, only after I had been in "endgame" for quite awhile.

Many players have another high tier crafter make them a level 10 armor set with all leveling bonuses applied, often using that same set (or maybe getting a replacement at level 30) until they get to CP160 (starting to come back to me now) 

I actually did the above for my alts, but usually bought the basic pieces from the market place and enchanced them to my needs.

None of this is really available to a new player just starting out, they are either using drops or buying from the market, not crafting gear for themselves on the way up on their first character.
    AlBQuirky

This isn't important to anyone here since no one plays Vanilla World of Warcraft, but Crafting was never worth it (as far as I can tell), because crafting was always "lower level" than the player because the "material gathering were often higher" than the player.

I always take skinning, herbalism, or mining always made huge amounts of money by selling materials. 

I do have to say making bags seamed profitable, so I may not know what I'm talking about  :o
    AlBQuirkyKyleranAmarantharSovrath
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Mendel said:
    As for the mini-games, like in Vanguard or EQ2, you can keep them.
    For some reason, I have a bias against the term "mini-games." I'm not sure where it came from or why I grabbed onto it. I think it came from MMORPGs and other RPGs where mini-games were a "test of reflexes", which I suck at :)

Or maybe maybe actual "mini-games" that were totally separated from the main game, as in Wizard101's potion filling games like Dig Dug, Gemstones, and the like, or "silver chests" that have key finding games to get a reward.

I just want my character doing the crafting, NOT me. Is there a "chance to succeed?" Let my character's skill determine fail/success, NOT my lacking reflex skills.

However, I am coming around to the idea, more and more. I can see good uses for them, especially in the crafting arena :)
    MendelAmaranthar

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Darkfall had a fairly healthy crafting system where crafted items was far superior to looted. Duping and exploiting was the biggest issue in the game.
    KyleranAmaranthar
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    This isn't important to anyone here since no one plays Vanilla World of Warcraft, but Crafting was never worth it (as far as I can tell), because crafting was always "lower level" than the player because the "material gathering were often higher" than the player.

I always take skinning, herbalism, or mining always made huge amounts of money by selling materials. 

I do have to say making bags seamed profitable, so I may not know what I'm talking about  :o
    Gathering herbs and making potions were quite profitable. Bag making was, too. I tried enchanting and never really saw much come from it. Smithing was not valuable for me, either as Armor and weapon drops constantly out performed what crafting could do.

Other crafts I am not recalling well, so they may have been "forgettable." :)
    delete5230KyleranBrainy

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    (snip)

I know, right? Meeting other players in a MMORPG and actually conversing with randos, what a weird concept.

It will never work....

;)
    There's an Asimov novel where people on a planet live apart, never physically interacting. It was like Corvid lockdown meets social media bubble in the future. We could be there sooner than he thought!
    Post edited by Scot on
    AlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:

Gathering herbs and making potions were quite profitable. Bag making was, too. I tried enchanting and never really saw much come from it. Smithing was not valuable for me, either as Armor and weapon drops constantly out performed what crafting could do.

Other crafts I am not recalling well, so they may have been "forgettable." :)
    I always wanted to take engendering, some cool gadgets, but most were counter intuitive such as bombs,,,, You may as well cast a spell or something like that. Why waist the button pressing.    
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    'Waist' is the area on your body that should curve in, you meant 'waste' and Engineering rocks I love using bombs as a paladin in WoW. Those goggles were good too.
    delete5230AlBQuirky

kitarad said:
    'Waist' is the area on your body that should curve in, you meant 'waste' and Engineering rocks I love using bombs as a paladin in WoW. Those goggles were good too.
    Well, it's spelled like that from the country I came from.
    AlBQuirky
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Crafting food and drink was important to your health maybe 20% in EQ2, so I really enjoyed crafting in that game.

In swg was kinda survial-esq. You had food and drink fill, if stomach was full you couldn't take anymore food buffs.  If your food buff blew before stomach empty, you could pop Neutron pixie or muon gold and get through a fight, then 15min later puke due to nausea from the spice withdraw and empty stomach. It would give your health action mind pools wounds that you needed a player doc and entertainer to heal (or slow over time), or do it yourself with stims if you had the ability to use better stim packs.
    AlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited February 2023
    Shroud of the Avatar. SotA takes one step back from the Archeage in terms of needed items but also takes one step forward on the type of items needed. Meaning you don't need  a plethra of things to craft an item, but some items get a bit more complex in the materials you need for an item.

Example : I', working on building a row house with a greenhouse on the top level. So my materials are timber, granite and "glass panels". The glass panels are 25 gem  fragments  . So I have to go and find gem 25 x how ever many glass panels I need.  It cuts down on total resources over Archeage but it also forces you to either find a minimum of 1 specific resource. I feel like it is a good middle ground over archeage were you need to harvest or hunt all the materials. SO in total I will harvest 3 resources, wood , rock and gem fragments.

Crafting is Shroud of the Avatar's core. People say SoTA is dead, good luck finding a housing lot in a major easy to port too town. It took me forever to settle on alot. There's plenty of lots around around, but to find a good lot, easy to travel make your wares easier to access, very hard. You also get a 2 free deed as you travel the main story.

All the best gear in SotA is crafted. You need to do Masterworks to + gear as well as Alchemy to + gear. You also need to create gem slots and gems for gear which I've not even come close to understanding yet.

I will be writing a mini review later  as SotA is hitting all of right things for me right now :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    (snip)

It will never work....

;)
    There's an Asimov novel where people on a planet live apart, never physically interacting. It was like Corvid lockdown meets social media bubble in the future. We could be there Sonner than he thought!

Asimov set several books in the "Spacers" world. Each person had thousands of robots, lived on huge estates, and only viewed each other through holograms.  They lived 250 years and to ask who their children are is considered rude.

Earthmen on the other hand, were short-lived and diseased specimens to be avoided and never touched. Of course never breathe the same air as them.
    AlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• DarkhawkeDarkhawke Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Shroud of the Avatar. SotA takes one step back from the Archeage in terms of needed items but also takes one step forward on the type of items needed. Meaning you don't need  a plethra of things to craft an item, but some items get a bit more complex in the materials you need for an item.

Example : I', working on building a row house with a greenhouse on the top level. So my materials are timber, granite and "glass panels". The glass panels are 25 gem  fragments  . So I have to go and find gem 25 x how ever many glass panels I need.  It cuts down on total resources over Archeage but it also forces you to either find a minimum of 1 specific resource. I feel like it is a good middle ground over archeage were you need to harvest or hunt all the materials. SO in total I will harvest 3 resources, wood , rock and gem fragments.

Crafting is Shroud of the Avatar's core. People say SoTA is dead, good luck finding a housing lot in a major easy to port too town. It took me forever to settle on alot. There's plenty of lots around around, but to find a good lot, easy to travel make your wares easier to access, very hard. You also get a 2 free deed as you travel the main story.

All the best gear in SotA is crafted. You need to do Masterworks to + gear as well as Alchemy to + gear. You also need to create gem slots and gems for gear which I've not even come close to understanding yet.

I will be writing a mini review later  as SotA is hitting all of right things for me right now :)
    Only about 50-60 active players left in Shroud.
    AlBQuirky