Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A text-based MMO turns 31 today!

nazgumnazgum Member UncommonPosts: 13
Curious about the origins of MMORPGs?  One of the oldest games on the internet is celebrating its 31st birthday today - and its being live streamed on Twitch!

Starting at 2PM EST you can watch on Twitch to learn a bit about MUME and see some epic text-based pvp battles live casted and streamed at

MUME is a text-based online rpg based off Lord of the Rings, taking place in Middle Earth just before the events of the One Ring, and allows you to explore a massive amount of the world including the Shire, Moria, Rivendell, Mirkwood, Misty Mountains and much more.  The game is completely free to play and features a persistent multiplayer world, in depth rpg systems and a dynamic war system that allows you to play as the Free Peoples or the Forces of Sauron and control objectives, keeps and towers across the lands!

So check it out today for its birthday!  You can play entirely through your browser:
https://mume.org/play/browser

Cheers!
AlBQuirky

Comments

• nazgumnazgum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Oh Twitch link tried to embed and did not work, the Twitch stream is under the user radagast_1, who is commentating the event =)

AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Err ... there is no such things as "textbased MMOs".

MMO specifically assumes graphics.

But yes MUDs have been one of the inspirations for MMORGPs. Their advantage of course is they dont need much computing power. Which is also why you can, with very little hardware, easily support hundreds of players on a normal computer.

NildenKyleranAlBQuirky
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

But yes MUDs have been one of the inspirations for MMORGPs. Their advantage of course is they dont need much computing power. Which is also why you can, with very little hardware, easily support hundreds of players on a normal computer.

This is what I was going to post. A text based MMO is pretty much just a MUD.  

I did a search for text based MMO and got some results tho so apparantly the people who made this list think it's a thing.

https://discover.hubpages.com/games-hobbies/text-based-mmorpg-games
    AlBQuirkyMendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2023
    Nilden said:y

This is what I was going to post. A text based MMO is pretty much just a MUD.  

I did a search for text based MMO and got some results tho so apparantly the people who made this list think it's a thing.

https://discover.hubpages.com/games-hobbies/text-based-mmorpg-games
    Yeah, but you how it is, people often try to twist commonly understood terms to fit their personal beliefs, sometimes claiming it's the natural evolution of languages or some such nonsense.

In this day and age of instant access to information including the current definition of words and plenty of examples of people properly speaking a language there's no need to support changing the meaning of words or concepts.

Regardless whether some idiots try to raise tigers in their homes and call them housecats, they are just not, they are tigers.

Most everyone understands what a MUD is, no need to apply a term to them which was actually not invented until UO and some others were on the scene.

What's next, calling pong an early hockey or soccer simulator?

Yes, some hills are still worth dying on.

:)

NildenAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Pong was obviously an early Tennis simulation and the first sports MMO. :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited January 2023
    Nilden said:
    Pong was obviously an early Tennis simulation and the first sports MMO. :)
    Well, I'd say it's the first tennis multiplayer game, not an MMO.

;)

Cheers!
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    lol I can just see it now.....in a text based PVP game.....

Pwner casts fireball
    You are dead

Game over
    AlBQuirky