Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Building Obsidian's Pentiment: Interview With Game Director Josh Sawyer | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe RPG Files: Building Obsidian's Pentiment: Interview With Game Director Josh Sawyer | MMORPG.com

Obsidian is known for some incredible RPGs, and Pentiment is just another in a long list of hits. We spoke to game director Josh Sawyer about the development on the title, design decisions along the way, and building an RPG set in the Reformation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    A real spark of originality and attention to historic detail seem to be hallmarks of this RPG, for me it is still a questionable purchase as I put a question mark over any game were the word "narrative" is used to describe it. Is this actually a game or will I just be "playing" a story with pictures, that's the dividing line for me? But it has already got on my wishlist, I think it passes my litmus test and is just a matter of time before I snap it up.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

Scot said:

A real spark of originality and attention to historic detail seem to be hallmarks of this RPG, for me it is still a questionable purchase as I put a question mark over any game were the word "narrative" is used to describe it. Is this actually a game or will I just be "playing" a story with pictures, that's the dividing line for me? But it has already got on my wishlist, I think it passes my litmus test and is just a matter of time before I snap it up.

I think it's more story than "game." I had the same thought as I wasn't really looking to play an interactive book.

I'm not against a walking simulator as long as I'm experiencing a 3d world but I think this feels more like an interactive book as I mentioned above.
    Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited December 2022
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

I think it's more story than "game." I had the same thought as I wasn't really looking to play an interactive book.

I'm not against a walking simulator as long as I'm experiencing a 3d world but I think this feels more like an interactive book as I mentioned above.
    It is a fine line, I won't make a decision until I have time to watch some videos. The whole genre of narrative RPG has ben problematic for deciding purchases. For example I only played Plague Tales when it was free on Epic as it was described as narrative, only to discover it was a fully featured world. Also the whole process of making sure I buy games I will love has been made harder by indie. Some of my favourite titles are indie but I have made a couple of bad mistakes and am now twice bittern, many times shy.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

It is a fine line, I won't make a decision until I have time to watch some videos. The whole genre of narrative RPG has ben problematic for deciding purchases. For example I only played Plague Tales when it was free on Epic as it was described as narrative, only to discover it was a fully featured world. Also the whole process of making sure I buy games I will love has been made harder by indie. Some of my favourite titles are indie but I have made a couple of bad mistakes and am now twice bittern, many times shy.
    check this out ...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    I know this game isn't for everyone but this is my personal game of the year. Damn was it good and damn was I invested in everything that happend.

To answer the question above though. Yes the game is more of book. More so then even Disco Elysium.
    SovrathScot
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    I know this game isn't for everyone but this is my personal game of the year. Damn was it good and damn was I invested in everything that happend.

To answer the question above though. Yes the game is more of book. More so then even Disco Elysium.
    This is my personal RPG of the year for sure. And yea, it's very much a book, but there are still puzzles, and interactions to figure out. More than a walking simulator, but if you're looking for an action heavy, 3D RPG, this isn't it. Instead, it's full of intrigue, interesting characters, and a uniquely human story to uncover. It's enthralling.

I write sometimes that playing games for a job can sometimes take the joy out of the games themselves. Pentiment is the first game in a long while where I didn't notice time passing me by as I played it. Last weekend I'm pretty sure I played it from sun up to sun down without even realizing it.
    Slapshot1188Sovrath
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    I personally found it to be a boring game and have not played it after completing the first story/chapter/narrative. Not sure what it is considered but I am where the main character is now older and grown up with a disciple. Found the game to be quite BORING unfortunately.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    If I wanted to roleplay a normal, everyday person, I'd just go outside.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I think people who are history buffs and people who like to delve into the origin of things will especially enjoy this. I really think that this tool for a narrative is amazing.

kitarad said:
    I think people who are history buffs and people who like to delve into the origin of things will especially enjoy this. I really think that this tool for a narrative is amazing.
    I am a history buff but I can always read to satisfy that, having had a proper look I don't think this is for me, but if you like that much narrative style it may be for you.