Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About 300 QA Workers at ZeniMax Studios Have Declared Intent to Unionize | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageAbout 300 QA Workers at ZeniMax Studios Have Declared Intent to Unionize | MMORPG.com

About 300 QA workers at ZeniMax Studios have declared their intent to unionize. Microsoft, which owns the company, has vowed to remain neutral towards unionization and to recognize unions if employees vote for one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    And so it continues.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Recognizing a union and agreeing to any of its demands during contract negotiations are two completely different things.
    KyleranSlapshot1188RoinQuizzicalgastovski1OG_SolareusMcSleazLackingMMO
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    And so it continues.
    At least this time it's a fairly substantial number of employees who are attempting to organize.

QA once again, guess those folks really don't get any respect, at least in the gaming industry.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    And so it continues.
    At least this time it's a fairly substantial number of employees who are attempting to organize.

QA once again, guess those folks really don't get any respect, at least in the gaming industry.
    I don't know about these guys, but the ones in Albany had over $21 an hour.  Which, for an entry level, low skill position seems fair.  But thats between them and the company.

They just shouldn't be surprised when someday theres an effort to "consolidate" in some other location.
    LackingMMO

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    And so it continues.

I don't know about these guys, but the ones in Albany had over $21 an hour.  Which, for an entry level, low skill position seems fair.  But thats between them and the company.

They just shouldn't be surprised when someday theres an effort to "consolidate" in some other location.
    Well you know since they work for Zenimax they really get to earn their keep. 
    Slapshot1188Viper482Arglebargle

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited December 2022
    F Unions F Zenimax
    Post edited by OG_Solareus on
    EldrachMadBomber13
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    it's a plagued powered George Soros.

OG_Solareusgastovski1Arglebargle
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    If people wanna u ionize, I have no problem. Just don't force people to join. Also expect prices to go up, workforce to potentially shrink. Don't be surprised is the much maligned Asian games to become more popular because they are cheaper.

People periodically throw up the question of 'can American development continue or is it dying?'. Well, this won't help
    Slapshot1188
    Qbertq said:
    If people wanna u ionize, I have no problem. Just don't force people to join. Also expect prices to go up, workforce to potentially shrink. Don't be surprised is the much maligned Asian games to become more popular because they are cheaper.

People periodically throw up the question of 'can American development continue or is it dying?'. Well, this won't help
    That has always been my biggest issue with Unions... the ones that force you to join against your will because other people voted to do it.  It seems... un-American to me.
    DigDuggySensai

CWA has direct access to your user information.
  • Radagast25Radagast25 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    That is awesome. Good for them. Solidarity with the workers.

Qbertq said:

That has always been my biggest issue with Unions... the ones that force you to join against your will because other people voted to do it.  It seems... un-American to me.

I think you will get what you want when the Free Rider problem is erased. Because what happens is in "work to right" states, that if you are in a uionized shop, but aren't a union member, you get the raises they negotiate, the benefits they negotiate and the protection they provide, BUT you pay nothing in. The SCOTUS said that they MUST represent you as strongly as they do other people who are members. So... THAT seems American to you I guess - getting benefits you aren't willing to pay for. The tradition was that you didn't have to be a member, but you had to pay an agency shop fee. It was less than you paid as a member, but it was enough to cover the basic services they provided. That was fair. Allowing you to be in the shop, get ALL of the benefits and not pay a dime - that isn't fair, and I do not believe unfair is American either.
    Iselin

Splattr said:

Recognizing a union and agreeing to any of its demands during contract negotiations are two completely different things.

Once a private company is unionized. If they refuse (or if the union does) to negotiate in good faith, the non-offending party can bring in federal representatives of the Labor Relations Board, initially they will try to conjole reasonable behavior, if that fails they will force it (Yes that is legal) so the power of the union is much stronger than you think, as long as they act as they should - the company WILL be constrained to do the same.
    edited December 2022
    I'm not going to let these commies ruin my game time. back playing eso :) If their selfishness wants to destroy a company, thats not on me.

The coolest part of this particular Union,, they can ban you across all MS Products, including Windows. :)

I also love this push for Unions in "communications" after a Musk bought twitter. :D .
    Qbertq said:

Yet I recently watched a legislator explain the current inflationary period is being driven by a tremendous increase in corporate profits, almost 56% of the total vs increases in labor or material costs.

This is supposedly unprecedented when compared to other similar inflationary periods in US history.

But I saw it on the internet, so you never know....

Are we sure we are cheering for the right side?

:# 

Qbertq said:

Really?  We vote all the time for new taxes or laws which are applicable to everyone even though not everyone votes for them.

Seems very American to me actually, tyranny of the majority and all.
    Iselin

Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:

Really?  We vote all the time for new taxes or laws which are applicable to everyone even though not everyone votes for them.

As someone who watches "things", you don't seem to get what tyranny is. Tyranny is top down. Voting is a negotiation of sides, tyranny has no negotiation.
    Kyleran
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited December 2022
    Oh the irony....maybe customers should form a union so they can't be permabanned from ZOS forums for criticizing ESO.
    OG_SolareusMcSleaz
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Viper482 said:
    Oh the irony....maybe customers should form a union so they can't be permabanned from ZOS forums for criticizing ESO.

xD this is a great idea !
    McSleaz
    Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:

As someone who watches "things", you don't seem to get what tyranny is. Tyranny is top down. Voting is a negotiation of sides, tyranny has no negotiation.
    Always happy to help educate others on concepts which are new to them.  B)

The more polite form of this is "will of the people" ;)

"The tyranny of the majority (or tyranny of the masses) is an inherent weakness to majority rule in which the majority of an electorate pursues exclusively its own objectives at the expense of those of the minority factions. This results in oppression of minority groups comparable to that of a tyrant or despot, argued John Stuart Mill in his 1859 book On Liberty.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
    SovrathKidRiskIselinSplattr

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Qbertq said:

Always happy to help educate others on concepts which are new to them.  B)

The more polite form of this is "will of the people" ;)

"The tyranny of the majority (or tyranny of the masses) is an inherent weakness to majority rule in which the majority of an electorate pursues exclusively its own objectives at the expense of those of the minority factions. This results in oppression of minority groups comparable to that of a tyrant or despot, argued John Stuart Mill in his 1859 book On Liberty.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

wiki has not been a reliable source for anything in a long time. Even that explanation, you just related tyranny as the minorities tool.
    KyleranKidRisk
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

Splattr said:

Once a private company is unionized. If they refuse (or if the union does) to negotiate in good faith, the non-offending party can bring in federal representatives of the Labor Relations Board, initially they will try to conjole reasonable behavior, if that fails they will force it (Yes that is legal) so the power of the union is much stronger than you think, as long as they act as they should - the company WILL be constrained to do the same.

Welcome to the forums! :)
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    I have to wonder why its only the QA departments that are doing this and not more of the core work force. I'd hypothesize that QA jobs are the most disposable and therefore these workers feel the most at risk of being replaced or ill treated.
    Kyleran
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,169

I have to wonder why its only the QA departments that are doing this and not more of the core work force. I'd hypothesize that QA jobs are the most disposable and therefore these workers feel the most at risk of being replaced or ill treated.

I think your hypothesis is correct. Developers are harder to fire because they are subject matter experts in how the software works. Also, they have a specific skill set that can be difficult to replace. Although you can outsource them anyone who has gone down that road quickly figures out you basically get what you pay for. Every effort to outsource I've seen in my 25 year career as a developer has ended in disaster.

Designers, artists and musicians all have similar qualities in that if you get rid of them it can be difficult to replicate their work with a different employee.

QA, however, can by in large be a revolving door without disrupting the team's overall productivity.
    OldKingLogArglebargle

Qbertq said:

I think you will get what you want when the Free Rider problem is erased. Because what happens is in "work to right" states, that if you are in a uionized shop, but aren't a union member, you get the raises they negotiate, the benefits they negotiate and the protection they provide, BUT you pay nothing in. The SCOTUS said that they MUST represent you as strongly as they do other people who are members. So... THAT seems American to you I guess - getting benefits you aren't willing to pay for. The tradition was that you didn't have to be a member, but you had to pay an agency shop fee. It was less than you paid as a member, but it was enough to cover the basic services they provided. That was fair. Allowing you to be in the shop, get ALL of the benefits and not pay a dime - that isn't fair, and I do not believe unfair is American either.
    I didn't say I supported that either.

I believe that if someone votes against a Union then they should not have to join it just to stay employed.
    I believe that anyone that does not join a Union should then be treated like they were before. They do not pay dues, they do not automatically get anything the Union does. If a company wants to pay the non-union worker the same, thats up to them. If they want to pay more or less, again, thats up to them. 
    And no, paying a "shop fee" to a union you do not belong to is not ok either.