Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KillScottKill from youtube and Legend of Heroes

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
..has passed away.

This is such sad news. I loved his youtube videos.

I loved the way he talked about the franchise and brought so many people to it.

He created very good content and from this Reddit thread they seem to say he was also instrumental in Crossbell localization.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/y12rve/rip_killscottkill/
Chamber of Chains
AlBQuirky

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I must admit I had never heard of him, but he was clearly passionate about games, I am sure his gaming community will miss him.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranAndemnon
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    I must admit I had never heard of him, but he was clearly passionate about games, I am sure his gaming community will miss him.

A sad day, indeed. Though I never knew about him, he was passionate. The video you linked was a great explanation of the Trails games. I've seen those on GOG from time to time. The video caught my interest and I wishlisted the lot.

When Fire Emblem 3(?) released lately, I was searching for a similar game NOT exclusive to Play Station. Now I know where to start :)

Thanks for sharing this sad news, and I hope his family, friends, and followers remember him well :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited October 2022
    Talking about Fire Emblem 3 houses which is an excellent game but games in a similar vein is the recently released Diofield Chronicles and Disciples Liberation that was released last year. Although nowhere near the excellence of Fire Emblem 3 Houses you can check them out and decide for yourself. Also not forgetting Triangle Strategy.

Legend of Heroes is really immense in its lore and the orbment system is far more complicated than the materia system of FF series.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2022
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

A sad day, indeed. Though I never knew about him, he was passionate. The video you linked was a great explanation of the Trails games. I've seen those on GOG from time to time. The video caught my interest and I wishlisted the lot.

When Fire Emblem 3(?) released lately, I was searching for a similar game NOT exclusive to Play Station. Now I know where to start :)

Thanks for sharing this sad news, and I hope his family, friends, and followers remember him well :)
    Legend of Heroes -games aren't really similar to Fire Emblem.

Legend of Heroes -series are JRPGs where you have a party that goes to bash monsters. They share a lot of similarities with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games.

Whereas Fire Emblem games are about controlling an army on a battlefield. If you want similar games for PC, there are for example
    Symphony of War:      https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488200/Symphony_of_War_The_Nephilim_Saga/
    Dark Deity:
      https://store.steampowered.com/app/1374840/Dark_Deity/

AlBQuirkyKyleran

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited November 2022
    Vrika said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

Legend of Heroes -series are JRPGs where you have a party that goes to bash monsters. They share a lot of similarities with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games.

Whereas Fire Emblem games are about controlling an army on a battlefield. If you want similar games for PC, there are for example
    Symphony of War:      https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488200/Symphony_of_War_The_Nephilim_Saga/
    Dark Deity:

Thanks for that insight!

I can see the difference you pointed out, now :)

I'll be looking at your suggested games :)

[edit]
    OOOOH! Looks like there is 50% off Dark Deity sale going on! Symphony of War and Tyrant's Blessing also included! $33 for the bundle? I'll be getting this :)
    cheyane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited November 2022
    AlBQuirky said:
    Vrika said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

Dark Deity:

Thanks for that insight!

I can see the difference you pointed out, now :)

I'll be looking at your suggested games :)

[edit]
    OOOOH! Looks like there is 50% off Dark Deity sale going on! Symphony of War and Tyrant's Blessing also included! $33 for the bundle? I'll be getting this :)
    Really oh must check it out the sale however right now I replaying the first chapter of Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky on the steam version. I had played it on console before. Love revisiting it. May actually try to replay all of them. 

With the backlog of Steam games and still buying games, playing games I have already played seems a little wasteful but Joshua and Estelle have captured me again.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • LordVishnuLordVishnu Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I also loved that he was so welcoming to the new films. I hope he's in a better place now.
    AlBQuirky
    Consider Tactics Ogre: Reborn. 

Getting it from Greenman Gaming with their  code is closer to 41 Euros to the 50 Euros it is without the discount. Really good game check the reviews.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/tactics-ogre-reborn
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    You can always spot the gamers at any funeral or memorial service.

They sit towards the back with their cell phones, Steam decks and Switches feverishly working the controls while the choir sings on...."Nearer My God, to Thee"

;)

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Dark Diety is free on Epic now.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Vrika said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

Dark Deity:

No, Legend of Heroes isn't similar to Fire Emblem, but Three Houses was very clearly inspired by Trails of Cold Steel, and there is significant overlap between the two fanbases.

Regardless I would highly recommend the Trails series. It is gaming's most ambitious narrative - 12 interconnected massive JRPGs and counting. Certainly a commitment, but one that is well worth it.
    AlBQuirkycheyane
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

I have a few recommendations.

Vestaria Saga - made independently by the man who created Fire Emblem. Plays much like oldschool Fire Emblem, though the controls are weirdly janky.

Dark Deity - a pretty good Kickstarter clone of Fire Emblem. Makes a few references to the Stormlight Archive series in its classes.

Utawarerumuno - this niche trilogy combines entry-level strategy RPG goodness with visual novel worldbuilding comparable to Trails. Fans of Fire Emblem and Legend of Heroes both tend to recommend this as a bridge series. 

Triangle Strategy - a deep strategy RPG that plays a lot like Shining Force or Wild Arms (distinct units instead of classes, turn order is based on Speed rather than separate ally/enemy phases). Has 4 distinct routes.

Valkyria Chronicles - if you want a hybrid of turn-based strategy and real time gunplay. 
    AlBQuirkycheyane
  • Agatha767Agatha767 Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    edited April 2023
    I also loved that he was so welcoming to the new films. I hope he's in a better place now.
    Now I still watch his videos and I like the way he welcomed new films.