Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indie MMORPG Embers Adrift Officially Launches - Team Experiences a Smooth Release | MMORPG.com

Comments

• user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited October 2022

Every game would have a smooth launch if they only aimed at 1000 people or less. They'll never have to worry about server queues or mergers, that's for sure.

Yeap, pretty much this. One only has to look at the numbers (number of streamers and most importantly number of viewers) here to see the reason why the "launch" was "smooth".
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited October 2022

Brainy said:

I didn't feel any lag while in game.  But then I never lagged in beta either.  I will give them credit, they have decent stability.  Also in general there is not a lot of bugs in the game.

Not a lot of bugs in the game, of course it takes ages to kill even one let alone a swarm he he.
    Brainy
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Every game would have a smooth launch if they only aimed at 1000 people or less. They'll never have to worry about server queues or mergers, that's for sure.
    Not really.  Plenty of single-player games have bad launches because they're a buggy mess.  Having a smaller playerbase makes it easier to have a smooth launch, but it's hardly a trivial thing.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    I have a quick question that I haven't been able to find the answer to.  What is the death penalty in this game?  I have read in other threads that it has changed but they never said what it was to start with or what it changed too.  The main game webpage simply states that it has "unique death penalty mechanics, including unique revival, retrieval, wound and recovery system."  That's not very informative. 
    maskedweasel
  • MeeksMeeks Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Wow I wasn't expecting this to be as fun as it is. Really enjoying it so far. Hopefully that holds up over the long term.
    KyleranGeeky
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Biggest issue with this game is new players are screwed because you need to group to progress.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Viper482 said:
    Biggest issue with this game is new players are screwed because you need to group to progress.

New players can group, especially when there are several new players about.
    Viper482
    Scot said:

It is launched.
    Thanks, on my radar now, but wating for the reviews. I don't care about the discounted/free(?) period, if the reviews are good quite happy to pay.

Just a note so that you are aware that subscriptions made before the end of the year will lock in a lower rate for as long as maintained. That discounted rate is basically $10/month. At years end It will then change to the regular rate of $15/month.

Heh, not trying to foster a sense of urgency here, only a FYI.
    ScotMcSleaz
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    edited October 2022
    I have a quick question that I haven't been able to find the answer to.  What is the death penalty in this game?  I have read in other threads that it has changed but they never said what it was to start with or what it changed too.  The main game webpage simply states that it has "unique death penalty mechanics, including unique revival, retrieval, wound and recovery system."  That's not very informative. 
    I haven't played in release so it might have been changed slightly, but in Beta it was, if you die you have 2 choices

1) you leave your bag/items/gold behind, you cant pickup any new gold or items until you go back and get your bag.  However you can still use your weapons/items even while bag is gone, but cannot move them around or access them from bank.

2) Your other option is to destroy your bag remotely, it is lost forever including all gold on your body.

Also it used to be you couldn't repair your armor/weapon until you find your bag.  However I think that might have changed to be less restrictive.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:

It is launched.
    Thanks, on my radar now, but wating for the reviews. I don't care about the discounted/free(?) period, if the reviews are good quite happy to pay.

Just a note so that you are aware that subscriptions made before the end of the year will lock in a lower rate for as long as maintained. That discounted rate is basically $10/month. At years end It will then change to the regular rate of $15/month.

Heh, not trying to foster a sense of urgency here, only a FYI.
    I have before brought up the idea that a good hybrid MMO (old/new school) might need a $20 dollar a month sub; we had support for that, but more were shocked. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Performance of this game is garbage
    Renfail
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited October 2022
    Viper482 said:

Okay Sherlock......Of course new players can group.....of course there are several new players about, the game just released.

How about a month from now? A year from now? MMOs survive on an influx of new players because many existing players will leave. Populations dwindle in literally every MMO, even WoW. This one will not have a big one to start with. It will be a problem. 
    MendelKyleranCogohiMcSleaz
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:

Okay Sherlock......Of course new players can group.....of course there are several new players about, the game just released.

How about a month from now? A year from now? MMOs survive on an influx of new players because many existing players will leave. Populations dwindle in literally every MMO, even WoW. This one will not have a big one to start with. It will be a problem. 
      I see your point here, but Grouping is the strong point of this game.  People that like this game usually say they like the grouping feature.

But that does provide a conundrum where a low population is making its top feature harder to do.  On the other hand without its best feature will this game exist?  If this game came out solo only with exactly the same features it has now, but totally solo without grouping, I don't even think it would have 1/10 the population it has now.

A game that wants to focus on grouping really needs a wider audience.
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    edited October 2022
    like many friend, i'll wait a month or 2...
    first point is population of course, can they maintain it with 100+ players?
    (i dont think at this point there's more than 200/300 ig at launch, maybe i'm wrong.
    second is the 30$ entry with month sub...
    3 is just content after lv20 (edit) if there's suffisant ppl for content
    Post edited by hyllyh on
  • XenokevXenokev Member UncommonPosts: 43
    My previous complaints still stand but I am rather enjoying this game. The trading for goods, the day and night cycles with different enemies, the huge underground dungeons, the playerbase seems older more chill and kind like EQ days, the group content, the cozy campfires, and the nice music. It still needs alot of work but it is a breath of fresh air in the mmorpg genre.
    Mensur
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Xenokev said:
    sorry can you delete this lol
    Definitely a Monday.  :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:

Relax Watson.

It's a group focused game that is light on population. New players will capture the attention of those already present. Guilds will seek them out to add them to their fold as they will be starved for members. They will aid these new players so that they can contribute as quickly as possible.

This isn't WoW where players remain abundant such that they are easily disposable in the minds of their fellows as they can be replaced with the next that uses an automated system to join the temp labour pool.

Each player will have value here and be treated accordingly by their fellows. So I rather doubt it will be as much a problem as you think.
    edited October 2022
    If they'd released on Steam I might have actually at least tried it. One because refunds, and two because I got $50 in my Steam wallet that's been sitting there for a year now with nothing worth spending it on.

Two hours wouldn't give you much of an impression of the game really. You can barely get started in that amount of time.

Perhaps after it has been out for awhile they will offer some free access weekends like they did in beta. It would allow you to better explore the game and you wouldn't need to track your play time closely.
    Kyleran
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I bet it was smooth, most people are still working on WoTLK classic.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Brainy said:
    I haven't played in release so it might have been changed slightly, but in Beta it was, if you die you have 2 choices

1) you leave your bag/items/gold behind, you cant pickup any new gold or items until you go back and get your bag.  However you can still use your weapons/items even while bag is gone, but cannot move them around or access them from bank.

2) Your other option is to destroy your bag remotely, it is lost forever including all gold on your body.

Also it used to be you couldn't repair your armor/weapon until you find your bag.  However I think that might have changed to be less restrictive.
    Thanks for the info.  That is...ack.  The main reason I left EQ was the corpse runs.  I didn't like how solo friendly wow was but I liked that more than I liked corpse runs...
    Brainy
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

The only reason I'm not jumping in is the lack of magic. 
    I like spell casting; fire balls, lightning strikes, teleportation, healing, invis., curses, and generally the high fantasy D+D gamut to play with. 
    Maybe some day, if they can git 'er done. 

I expect a general lack of depth, under their circumstances. But there's no foundation for spell casting that I can see. 

Its precisely why I wrote the game off and won't ever be buying it unless they reverse course. As it stands now the game feels boring and lacking without magic/spells. When you completely omit the only types of classes/characters I like playing, and I'm not alone I'm sure, you're setting yourself up for failure before you even begin.
    Mendel
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Meeks said:
    Wow I wasn't expecting this to be as fun as it is. Really enjoying it so far. Hopefully that holds up over the long term.
    welcome to the forums!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited October 2022
    Viper482 said:
    Not at all true, but I acknowledge your hot take.