Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia Unlaunching the RTX 4080 12gb

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
edited October 2022 in Hardware

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Post edited by Asm0deus on

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    It appears they will cancel the launch to rename the cards at possibly a lower price point.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

There fixed it, pasted the wrong link I guess.
    Slapshot1188

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Nvidia will probably relaunch it as a GeForce RTX 4070 for $700 or some such.  That's a less ridiculous price than $900, but still ridiculous.

What they're doing is called framing.  They don't want people to say, hey, they just doubled the price of a mid-range card, even though $700 for this card would be roughly that.  Rather, they want people to say, they listened to us and gave us a $200 discount.

This is why competition is so important.  If AMD can offer something comparable for $400, then few people will buy from Nvidia at the prices that Nvidia wants to charge.

More serious competition from Intel is coming as well, but Alchemist won't get them there, as it was so delayed that it's going to be a process node behind.  Battlemage will probably get Intel into this market segment, but that's more than a year away.
    And now Nvidia presumably wants their board partners to throw away all the packaging that they made for the fake launch and redo it at their own expense.  Any further questions about why EVGA dropped Nvidia?
    edited October 2022
    Quizzical said:
    And now Nvidia presumably wants their board partners to throw away all the packaging that they made for the fake launch and redo it at their own expense.  Any further questions about why EVGA dropped Nvidia?

Apparently nvidia is taking care of the packaging of partner boards, it was all in the video if you would have bothered to watch it.

As for why evga quit, I had already said that before in another thread that there was more behind the scenes however, some people were scoffing at that statement...lol

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited October 2022
    Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:

Apparently nvidia is taking care of the packaging of partner boards, it was all in the video if you would have bothered to watch it.
    Why do people who post video links assume everyone is gonna watch it. Like I want to take 15min-1hr to gleen out of a video what a text article would provide in, say, 3 minutes time. Not to mention that not everyone can watch them (firewalls at work, poor/limited bandwidth, etc)

If you post a video, and don't also post some sort of summary or tl;dr (or, I guess in this case, tl;dw ?)-- you got no basis to complain when "people don't watch the video"
    VrikaQuizzicalAsm0deus[Deleted User]
    edited October 2022
    The video is like 10mins long.  Some of you would rather write and read pages and pages of speculation instead of the getting accurate info that is provided to you right in your face.

I get not like videos, I am old school too and rather my game guide like for builds etc be written instead of a video or if i google a short question that is like a one sentence answer I would rather an answer in text format over a 1 mins video.....however some people take the shit out this and are just being lazy.

At some point you need to get with the times and stop expecting to be spoon fed like babies.  I daresay though some people that post here just want to spout tons of speculation and ignore facts cause they like feeling superior to others that post in here.

You will excuse me if I find such tiresome at times.

Ridelynn said:
    Why do people who post video links assume everyone is gonna watch it.

...snip...

If you are going to post in a thread in which the OP consist of a video and nothing else it behooves you to watch it to be able to contribute intelligently to the topic.

Expecting to do otherwise and not come across as an arse is just stupid.

Asm0deus said:
    The video is like 10mins long.  Some of you would rather write and read pages and pages of speculation instead of the getting accurate info that is provided to you right in your face.

Except it's not right in my face. It's in a video, that not everyone can get to, for various reasons, that you have to watch linearly. All so some dude that I don't know, don't trust,  and don't care about can earn money from my time.

Maybe that guy is the next coming of Steve Wozniak and is a genius. I wouldn't know though, and unless they can find an efficient method of communication, I don't care to know. The lack of me in the audience is obviously not hurting their revenue stream, so I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I would rather someone sit down and take the time to write out a reply.

I would much rather that than someone turn on a video camera and just blubber into it, or worse, take the time to write out the reply, then spend the time to read / act that into a camera thinking that's somehow better.

If this is "getting with the times" I'm very much happy not doing so. It isn't better. 
    QuizzicalAsm0deus
    Asm0deus said:

I get not like videos, I am old school too and rather my game guide like for builds etc be written instead of a video or if i google a short question that is like a one sentence answer I would rather an answer in text format over a 1 mins video.....however some people take the shit out this and are just being lazy.

At some point you need to get with the times and stop expecting to be spoon fed like babies.  I daresay though some people that post here just want to spout tons of speculation and ignore facts cause they like feeling superior to others that post in here.

You will excuse me if I find such tiresome at times.

Ridelynn said:
    Why do people who post video links assume everyone is gonna watch it.

...snip...

If you are going to post in a thread in which the OP consist of a video and nothing else it behooves you to watch it to be able to contribute intelligently to the topic.

Expecting to do otherwise and not come across as an arse is just stupid.
    https://www.youtube.com/

There.  Now you are responsible to know absolutely everything on that site before replying again.  And also responsible to know which claims on the site aren't true.

The problem is that it's quick and easy to argue by videos, saying, watch this video before replying.  And then you expect someone to spend massively more time watching some video that is probably a waste of time than it takes you to read his reply.

If you want people to read something, then give a written reference.  A video is fine for things that intrinsically need to be video.  But a video of someone talking is a waste of time.  Respect your readers' time if you want anyone to care what you have to say.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusVrikaScot
    edited October 2022
    Asm0deus said:

At some point you need to get with the times and stop expecting to be spoon fed like babies.
    At what point did reading something become spoon fed info ?

Sometimes a video can be necessary to provide the proper visualization to a topic, however with something like this anyone remotely interested in clicking the video in the first place is probably already subscribed to one of the hundreds of tech channels on youtube and has formulaically been exposed to several articles and videos prior to coming across your post.

Got some niche info on a game's development? Cool let's see it
    Got an article from nvidia and a video from Linus to copy and paste? I'm good.

Hardware Unboxed and Gamer Nexus are pretty well known and respected in the community even by the big companies.

They are not some randos like ridelynn and Quiz, in their duo circle jerk, would have us believe. They generally are better informed and more accurate than Linus.

Nor is that stupid example of link to youtube and saying I should watch everything on youtube an intelligent or relevant counter or anywhere near what I was saying.

For two guys, not you, that consider themselves the resident experts they are pretty fking ignorant at times and more concerned with stroking each other off.

Last but not least expecting someone to friggin convert a video to text format  cause BS reasons is just that BS and being lazy. That is being spoon fed.

Oh if someone is at work and you know, cough couch BS, can't watch the video then maybe I dunno go do your frigging job instead of flaking off in a forum and wasting time pissing in a forum about not wanting to watch a video.

Its akin to me going into one of Quiz threads in which his OP and first two or three post are frigging walls of texts he needs to split up due to text limitations and bitching I have to read all that and wanting a video instead..respect is a two way street not a one way.

Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:

At some point you need to get with the times and stop expecting to be spoon fed like babies.
    At what point did reading something become spoon fed info ?

Sometimes a video can be necessary to provide the proper visualization to a topic, however with something like this anyone remotely interested in clicking the video in the first place is probably already subscribed to one of the hundreds of tech channels on youtube and has formulaically been exposed to several articles and videos prior to coming across your post.

Got some niche info on a game's development? Cool let's see it
    Got an article from nvidia and a video from Linus to copy and paste? I'm good.

Hardware Unboxed and Gamer Nexus are pretty well known and respected in the community even by the big companies.

They are not some randos like ridelynn and Quiz, in their duo circle jerk, would have us believe. They generally are better informed and more accurate than Linus.

Nor is that stupid example of link to youtube and saying I should watch everything on youtube an intelligent or relevant counter or anywhere near what I was saying.

For two guys, not you, that consider themselves the resident experts they are pretty fking ignorant at times and more concerned with stroking each other off.

Last but not least expecting someone to friggin convert a video to text format  cause BS reasons is just that BS and being lazy. That is being spoon fed.

Oh if someone is at work and you know, cough couch BS, can't watch the video then maybe I dunno go do your frigging job instead of flaking off in a forum and wasting time pissing in a forum about not wanting to watch a video.

Its akin to me going into one of Quiz threads in which his OP and first two or three post are frigging walls of texts he needs to split up due to text limitations and bitching I have to read all that and wanting a video instead..respect is a two way street not a one way.
    A video of me reading one of my long posts out loud would take you several times as long to watch as it would to read the text.  Watching that video would be a waste of your time, whether you like my posts or not.  Whether Hardware Unboxed or Gamer Nexus are legitimate channels is completely irrelevant.

The main problem isn't the absolute length.  It's the relative length.  If you want me to spend one minute to get one minute worth of information, then fine.  If you want me to spend ten minutes to get ten minutes worth of information, then again, fine.  If you want me to spend ten minutes to get one minute worth of information, then that's a waste of my time.  That's what you're expecting others to do here.

The other problem is that it's easy to copy and paste up arbitrarily many links to someone else's videos, but hard to generate arbitrarily large amounts of real content yourself.  It takes me several times as long to type up a post as it does for you to read it.  Even if you read everything that I write, my ability to waste your time is constrained by the fact that it takes me several times as long to write it as it does for you to read it.

When linking videos, that's not the case.  The amount of time that it takes for you to link a video is vastly less than the amount of time that it takes for someone else to watch it.  It's completely impractical for me to type up a new post every day that would take you an hour to read because it would take me so long.  But I could easily start a new thread and link an hour long video several times per day without taking much of my own time.  That's why arguing by linking videos is fundamentally illegitimate, with only the possible exceptions of content that intrinsically needs to be animated or videos that you made yourself and took you far longer to make than it would take someone else to watch.
    edited October 2022
    Quizzical said:
    ...snip....
    ...snip...

The main problem isn't the absolute length.  It's the relative length.  If you want me to spend one minute to get one minute worth of information, then fine.  If you want me to spend ten minutes to get ten minutes worth of information, then again, fine.  If you want me to spend ten minutes to get one minute worth of information, then that's a waste of my time.  That's what you're expecting others to do here.

...snip...
    Again I call BS.

You don't know how much information is in the video since you cant be asked to watch it, just more BS "reasons"  just cause you prefer to read walls of text.

There's lots of information in the video and like most of their videos it has sections so you can skip right to relevant info and skip other stuff you are not so interested in.

You don't have to watch all 10mins of it.

You and ridelynn don't like videos and would rather spout a whole loads of nonsense rather that just admit you cant be bothered to watch them and would rather spend loads of time and effort making up BS justifications, most of us outgrow that kind of behavior as we grow up and become adults.

Look at your posts just here in this thread you have spent far more time and effort trying to justify yourself just to be "right" than anywhere near what it would have took you to watch or even skim through the video.

This idea that a video is not a valid form of information is silly. 

Hell I seem to recall the both of you telling me in another thread I was just parroting some information from another video when I put it in text form.  It's kind of lose lose with you two, if we post videos to back things up we are "wasting your time" but if we write it down in text form ...what we are just stupid aholes parroting stuff we saw on a video... that's what I mean by you two having your own little circle jerk all the time.

The proper response, the adult response from you and ridelynn after I said, "...it was all in the video if you would have bothered to watch it."  should have been something along the lines of "ah yeah I don't like videos and just couldn't be bothered to watch it".

The subject could have and should have ended there, Instead you both acted like know it all teenagers and started making excuses and moral justifications for just not being bothered to watch the video.

Frankly I do not care if you both don't wanna watch videos but you both need to stop getting your damned knickers in a twist when someone mentions the info was right there in the video... It's your fault and no one else's you missed the information.

edited October 2022
    I am happy to be a toys-r-us kid, I don't ever wanna grow up.

We may be whining and crying "get off our lawn", and I fully admit to that being no small part of it - I don't like videos and I'm not of a generation that appreciates the new stream-my-video culture. But none the less yet you keep feeling the need to come back with retorts - the exact same thing you are accusing us of. If one was mature about it, they would just let it go.

Oh yeah I remember you and your video nonsense - some BS about mice switches. You ~were~ just parroting a video - the video was a bunch of BS and you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker, rather than finding something legit - be it video or any other source. If you had an Electrical Engineering degree, maybe it would have helped, but if you do, I don't recall it being made public knowledge.

Side note - I did and do appreciate that you took the time to summarize that mouse video. You just chose a bad video to hang your hat on as evidence.
    Asm0deus
    edited October 2022
    Ridelynn said:
    We may be whining and crying "get off our lawn", and I fully admit to that being no small part of it - I don't like videos

....snip...

Oh yeah I remember you and your video nonsense - some BS about mice switches. You ~were~ just parroting a video -...snip...
    Sure buddy whatever you need to believe to feel good about yourself.  You keep trying to make us believe you know one end of soldering iron from the other. 

I know science is hard for you. Bad switches are just bad switches dur hur hur.

:D

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    I love the term "unlaunch". It reminds me of one time I had a 3 hour delay with Jetblue so I was sitting home waiting before heading to the airport and then they text me a "FLIGHT XYZ IS NOW UNDELAYED" message.   Like WTF is an Undelay?  And what the hell is an Unlaunch :)

(BTW yes I know what they mean.  I just find it funny... well... it wasn't funny when I had to fly to the airport to not miss my undelayed flight..."
    Asm0deus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• The user and all related content has been deleted.